Chiang Mai: Two Ukrainian men arrested with 138 fake ATM cards

webfact

Two Ukrainian men arrested with 138 fake ATM cards

CHIANG MAI: -- Two Ukrainian men have been arrested with 138 fake ATM cards, police said Monday.

Mueang Chiang Mai police chief Pol Col Weerayuth Prasopchokechai told a press conference that the two were arrested at the Bed Hotel in Chiang Mai downtown at 9 pm on Saturday.

They were identified as Yevhen Hrytsenko, 27 and Iurii Korobchenko, 31.

Police were alerted by officials of Bank of Ayuddhaya that two foreigners used ATM cards in irregular manner at a BAY ATM machine at 10 pm on Friday. The officials sent photos of the two as captured by the machine's CCTV.

Police investigated and found that the two were staying at the hotel and made the arrest.

Police learned from Kasikorn Bank that the information in the fake ATM cards seized from the two contained data of bank accounts of European banks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Two-Ukrainian-men-arrested-with-138-fake-ATM-cards-30272089.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-02

I live in Chiang Mai and on October 13-14, 10,000 was taken from my ATM card of BKK Bank. When reporting it to the Meechock branch, they tried to blame me for the withdrawal! I explained that I was in bed during both incidents . Started by taking 4000 on the 13th and proceeded to withdraw 6000 on the 14th at 7:32 am. I showed them my card and it never left my wallet. They also said that there was no activity of skimming on those days. I replied "how did I lose my money?" Never had a problem in 10 years! Now I'm reading almost daily about skimming! Hmmmmmm

Brain Dead!

Good police work.

I almost want to say this, but I don't know to what extent they actually did "police" work.

I live in Chiang Mai and on October 13-14, 10,000 was taken from my ATM card of BKK Bank. When reporting it to the Meechock branch, they tried to blame me for the withdrawal! I explained that I was in bed during both incidents . Started by taking 4000 on the 13th and proceeded to withdraw 6000 on the 14th at 7:32 am. I showed them my card and it never left my wallet. They also said that there was no activity of skimming on those days. I replied "how did I lose my money?" Never had a problem in 10 years! Now I'm reading almost daily about skimming! Hmmmmmm

Brain Dead!

There have been times in the past where I thought I was ripped off, then... it turns out I made those withdraws and just for the life of me had forgotten that I paid a bill. I hope this is what happened to you and that getting ripped off is not this easy at BoB.

Please follow up here to let us know what happened.

Edited by Nowisee

Good police work.

I almost want to say this, but I don't know to what extent they actually did "police" work.

Brain Dead!

There have been times in the past where I thought I was ripped off, then... it turns out I made those withdraws and just for the life of me had forgotten that I paid a bill. I hope this is what happened to you and that getting ripped off is not this easy at BoB.

Please follow up here to let us know what happened.

Did the atm on Friday, caught them Saturday, only had cctv images of them, would say that's pretty good detection.

Brain Dead!

yeah. you were in bed sleeping, while your "girlfriend" was taking money from your account. BKK Bank has the chip in the ATM cards.....could you show me an instance of those cards being skimmed?

Brain Dead!

yeah. you were in bed sleeping, while your "girlfriend" was taking money from your account. BKK Bank has the chip in the ATM cards.....could you show me an instance of those cards being skimmed?

You know this member?

I'm sorry someone doesn't know what they are talking about ... My card has no chip...so for those intellects who think they know everything..please!

plenty out there without the chip...that's what keeps the Ukranians in business. If you have a Thai ATM card without a chip, you should get another one.

Dude...99.99% of Cards are from Europe....Its happening all over third world countries in Asia....What the Hell is Developed Countries Cops, MI5, 6, are doing.....You guys have billion dollar funds, trained investigative teams and advanced computers, security, and what not....Why can't you catch few eastern European thugs and put an end to it?

I don't understand for over 15 years first with Nigerians and Now with Eastern Europeans...The Cops in western countries have totally failed.

Why are people blaming Thailand and Thai Banks...The problem is in Europe...

------------------

Do some research...The master mind is a German...His Code Name is SkinHead Of FrankFurt

You really think, this kind of intelligence, coordination to clone ATM Cards, PINs, Cameras etc etc will come from a Bar girl in pattaya smile.png

He is running multi million dollar empire from Financial Capital Of Europe. DO SOMETHING.

Why Can't the Cops in Germany, Europe - Go after the KingPins and not the peddler Gypies on the ground. Looks like he is well protected. This guy walks freely in Germany - While we blame Thai Cops and Thai Banks.

This guy gets hold of any changes in Chips, Cards....Its futile..Whatever you do...He will find a way to Clone it..

Edited by starchild5

Brain Dead!

What happened when you made the police report?

Brain Dead!

Bangkok Bank gives you a choice, chipped or not chipped.

I'm sorry someone doesn't know what they are talking about ... My card has no chip...so for those intellects who think they know everything..please!

plenty out there without the chip...that's what keeps the Ukranians in business. If you have a Thai ATM card without a chip, you should get another one.

If you don't mind being tracked wherever you go..be my guest.

I have several accounts and one account has a chip but the machines are limited. Girlfriend? I've been married for 10 years!

The police report was somewhat of a joke and quite aggravating. I tried to explain the times, etc. he replied, next! I just sat there in disbelief. Finally my wife said, its useless.

BKK has several cards but only one with a chip as stated prior, the blue and white card, allows to be used on line. The chip card was not accepted at the mall. That is one of the reasons for me obtaining that particular card.

Yes, correct, BKK bank does offer both kinds of cards but I explained why I chose the other.

No, I don't know the person who is stating about a girlfriend! To ridiculous to address. Sorry! I'm only stating the situation that applies to me and hopefully will assist others.

No bills were paid. I was checking the exchange rates and checked my FDA and realized two withdrawals on the day that I was checking. That's how I am aware of the skimming.

I hoped I helped others become aware of skimming and other discrepancies that are taking place. I'm not here to formulate an opinion but to help. I hoped I answered your questions and if not, I apologize!

Brain Dead!

just cut my bkk card....always in denial...funny thing here in thailand the victim gets victimized twice...always the victims fault

Sorry, I did not answer one question! I will let you know what happens but to date, I've not been contacted by the police nor the Bangkok Bank. The skimming took place on the 13th and 14th of October.

Now that you filed the police report Bangkok Bank should be willing to look at the CCTV footage and let you know who used your card -- or a clone.

I have several accounts and one account has a chip but the machines are limited. Girlfriend? I've been married for 10 years!

The police report was somewhat of a joke and quite aggravating. I tried to explain the times, etc. he replied, next! I just sat there in disbelief. Finally my wife said, its useless.

BKK has several cards but only one with a chip as stated prior, the blue and white card, allows to be used on line. The chip card was not accepted at the mall. That is one of the reasons for me obtaining that particular card.

Yes, correct, BKK bank does offer both kinds of cards but I explained why I chose the other.

No, I don't know the person who is stating about a girlfriend! To ridiculous to address. Sorry! I'm only stating the situation that applies to me and hopefully will assist others.

No bills were paid. I was checking the exchange rates and checked my FDA and realized two withdrawals on the day that I was checking. That's how I am aware of the skimming.

I hoped I helped others become aware of skimming and other discrepancies that are taking place. I'm not here to formulate an opinion but to help. I hoped I answered your questions and if not, I apologize!

I apologize for the wisecrack about your GF, and am glad you are happily married. You had to know that there has been this problem for years...I have multiple bank accounts here, and as long as there isn't good consumer protection; I won't be getting an ATM card. The ones I have are kept in a safe. I also closely monitor my credit, to protect my identity. Is there actually a mall in Thailand that doesn't have a BKK branch?

i met these guys at the bar....they bought me drinks all night!!! and a new scooter!!! and they bought me great food!!!

then i notice i was skimmed!!!! they let me keep 30 baht.....

ATM is a nightmare in Thailand....in 9-months I think I used it twice....

dangerous, but i recommend bring cash.....

even if they find the guys and get your money...I have a weird feeling you don't it all back...

maybe half? i'm not sure.....i've heard stories...

Edited by puukao

Perhaps there will be a new sports bar opening soon, with specials on Borsch. Of course they will be sponsors of various organizations, and get a large number of positive reviews on TV. How about "Kiev Gais," specializing in Ukranian Fusion food, like Thai style chicken Kiev. Maybe there will even be a price war between the skimmers and the boiler room people. You can bet they will "take credit cards" and even debit cards, too.

Edited by bangmai

As Bangmai pointed out in one of his more lucid post, there haven't been instances of chipped cards being cloned. Sure, there is the inconvenience of chipped cards not being accepted at stores in the mall, but I doubt there's a mall in Thailand without a Bangkok Bank branch or at least an ATM machine where you could get money to buy whatever you want at the stores.

The only time I've had a problem is when I wanted to pay a bill at a gov't hospital that didn't accept credit cards and didn't have a Bangkok Bank ATM machine on their premises. They had ATMs from several other Thai banks, but not Bangkok Bank. Well, everyone just had to wait 45 minutes so I could flag down a tuk-tuk and go to a Bangkok Bank branch. Nobody died.

I accept your apology concerning the wisecrack about my happily married wife! No harm done.

For an update as promised: two people were skimmed at the night plaza in Chiang Mai last night, they both have chip cards! Now to my understanding after spending 2 hours at the BKK Bank and speaking to others, foreigners are very responsibe pertaining to this rash of crimes. This was coming from a foreigner. They are somehow gluing chips to the regular cards. Results, skimming. When asking the bank official if I am scammed with this Chip, will you replace my money and there was no reply given!

I filled out another report due to the fact, a transfer was made from my foreign deposit account of $141.20 U.S. That is not skimming, that came from the bank itself. I was on my way to play golf during the time of the transfer. I'm at lost for words! I am coming to the conclusion that nothing is safe while in Thailand! That hurts me to make that comment.

PhD.

I must say, Siam is much worse that BKK Bank. The employees stole several car payments since paying in cash, totaling 80,000 baht. I was told that the bank will not replace the money but will cut the time of my contract. I must make double payments until it has been caught up. That brought great hardship during those months. I was also informed to only go into a regular bank and not the sub branches for instance; Tesco Lotus,etc. I was to call the lady in charge when the payment was made.

Once again, police report but they have the copy of the fake receipts but closed the case stating Siam will handle the problem. Concerning bank improprieties, I have lost over 100,000 baht. Please learn from my mistakes!

PhD.