Motorcycle thief stoned to death in Cambodia

geovalin

Its well-known riders are protective of their motorcycles. ‘Look don’t touch’ is the courtesy given and expected by riders the world over. It’s easy to imagine then the anger a biker would feel to find his motorcycle has been stolen.

This anger was seen in a tragic way in Cambodia over the weekend where an accused motorcycle thief was killed in what could be considered an act of ‘mob justice’.

Understanding every country has its own standards of justice, news not only of the deadly incident but also of the response from law enforcement may make for interesting conversations at the next bike night.

A mob of about fifty people chased down a suspected motorcycle thief and stoned him to death Sunday night. Ironically the chase started on motorcycles, changing to foot when the victim was injured and fell off his bike.

Officials stated ‘the man had died from head injuries sustained while being beaten with rocks, adding that the victim’s identity was still unknown because he was not carrying an ID card’.

As interesting of how this apparent justice was applied is the response from law enforcement.

Local police told that they haven’t arrested any suspects in the stoning of the accused thief and ‘were not looking to arrest anyone’, explaining the case had been handed over what could be considered as regional police authorities.

Regional police authorities stated they were only looking for the accused motorcycle thief’s accomplice who had reportedly managed to escape the mob. But as far as those in the mob who had killed the accused thief, regional police were leaving those charges to the local police.

Interesting twist to a tragic story that may find its way into some motorcycle conversations.

source: http://www.clutchandchrome.com/en/News/motorcycle-thief-stoned-to-death-in-cambodia-110202.html

I would think word of this will spread rather quickly through those who make a practice of stealing cycles, they are

probably looking for a new profession as we post on this topic. If the article is accurate the stoned man was not innocent.

This is way Muslims do things...stoning and chopping off heads.....had to be muslims...taking law into their own hands.

Don't think he deserve to die for stealing a bike....however....

Others here in this forum say ( lf he was guilty then he got what he deserved.) (Thats what I call justice..thumbsup.gif )

When have laws changed that you just kill someone for thief...

This is wrong...just think maybe kid was trying get money for food family...Cambodia is a very poor country..and you kill him for it...no way to defend himself

NOT RIGHT....NO WAY very wrong...he not kill anybody...

Muslims in Cambodia ?

This is way Muslims do things...stoning and chopping off heads.....had to be muslims...taking law into their own hands.

Others here in this forum say ( lf he was guilty then he got what he deserved.) (Thats what I call justice..thumbsup.gif )

This is wrong...just think maybe kid was trying get money for food family...Cambodia is a very poor country..and you kill him for it...no way to defend himself

Wow you are going to make 1000 post's in a couple of days tongue.png

Muslims in Cambodia ?

Ok Ok we heard you the first time !

The people get outraged with thieves because there is no justice! 99% sure that it was not Muslims-- just regular people reacting to the injustices that get shoved under the rug. Same as in the good old American West--- steal someone's horse and you got lynched!! In China the cops might have caught him and would cut off his hands-- and maybe arms!

Save your tears.

I'm all for swift and brutal justice but not like this. Cambodians have a habit of mob violence. One that comes to mind is the herbalist who was beaten to death by a mob for practicing black magic. They will be burning witches next.

lf he was guilty then he got what he deserved.

it may not be right, but he wont do it again!

Given how poor most Cambodians are, the theft of a motorbike could be devastating for the loser. I agree the response was a bit OTP. If someone half inched the old Honda Wave, or Lifan Cross, I'd be rather annoyed, but could buy new. If my Honda SP2 had been stolen when I lived in England though, well, stoning would be too good for the bastard.