No 'shutdown' planned: PM Prayut

webfact

Well....one good thing about Thaksin was his slamming the door on the visa loopholes. His plan of only allowing ed visas for Uni level courses and creating the Thai Elite card for the quality tourist. Not to mention ending the ability of anyone using a visa service to get by the money seasoning. And his plan for nominee shareholders existing to allow farang to own homes would have had its effects.

YEs this guy in not falang friendly its all a front and the Thais are suffering... Forget the culture and Thainess chit chat... Thais rely on us sorry buddy wake up

I doubt any military government cares what the people think, or if tourism suffers?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many posters here seem to delight in bashing the man in charge here, but he DID save the country from imminent civil war, and IMHO is doing the best he can to get rid of the massive corruption endemic in the country. Those who can ... do, those who can,t ,,, teach, those who are absolutely no good at anything ... criticize smile.png The way things were going before, the whole country would now belong to the thaksin family, and the streets would have armed bands of redshirt thugs roaming around doing as they pleased, and don,t tell me this is not so because I have seen it with my own eyes !

Talk about wild exaggeration!

The country was no where near civil war. A minority of vocal well connected and we'll funded protestors were laying siege to certain government offices and inconveniencing central Bangkok. They were regarded with benevolent tolerance by the establishment as they paved the way to overthrow the elected government. The violence used by both sides whilst abhorrent was nowhere near a civil war. The military could have stopped it in hours. They chose not to, waiting instead in the wings for the opportunity to stage their coup.

The responsibility for this entire mess and all that it portends, lies squarely on the shoulders of the military, which, en mass, abandoned its sworn duty of protecting the government from insurrection. I said it once, I'll say it again. If you don't like a law, change it. If you don't agree with the direction this or any other government takes at any given time, there are civil mechanisms in place for both the redress of grievances, and overturning elections. Other than protecting a legally seated government, it is NEVER acceptable for the military to intervene. If anyone thinks there will not be a multi-tiered, largely foreseeable reckoning for the military's unfortunate choice of inaction cum action, he or she is sadly mistaken. This will, before all is said and done, precipitate what amounts to a premeditated and needless war. And a quick glance at pretty much any map, should quell any illusions as to its outcome.

So many posters here seem to delight in bashing the man in charge here, but he DID save the country from imminent civil wa!

No.. The actions of the military, in supporting Suthep, stopping the police from ensuring crowd control, and constantly reminding the elected government that any attempt at controlling the minority protesters who illegally blockaded the capital (who had dwindled to a few 100 happy clapping grannys by the time of the coup) was the exact source of the risks of conflict.

The yellows lose elections.. The yellows had run out of steam at protesting their losses anyway.. The losers need to understand how elections work, you campaign on a platform, you win or lose, then the winners get to enable that platform, if it fails (as per the rice system) you then use their failures to show you would do a better job.

How did I not see this? RTF on. In the end, these will be the only points that mattered. You can fool (as per Suthep) some of the people, some of the time, but only for a time. The militarily backed elite once again have a bull by the horns/tiger by the tail; take your pick. Never underestimate Thai resolve, or the military's inability to stem it. Contrary to TVF "conventional" wisdom, the Thai are far from stupid. Intentionally misled and under informed, maybe. But certainly not stupid.

So many posters here seem to delight in bashing the man in charge here, but he DID save the country from imminent civil war, and IMHO is doing the best he can to get rid of the massive corruption endemic in the country. Those who can ... do, those who can,t ,,, teach, those who are absolutely no good at anything ... criticize smile.png The way things were going before, the whole country would now belong to the thaksin family, and the streets would have armed bands of redshirt thugs roaming around doing as they pleased, and don,t tell me this is not so because I have seen it with my own eyes !

An interesting post and I agree with most of it. As for addressing the corruption problem, which is indeed massive, I'm not as optimistic as you are, because that disease is so deeply rooted in the fabric of Thai society that it would seem almost impossible to get rid of it without killing the patient.

Bound to see a resurgence on the Stock Exchange Thailand on the back of this reassurance.

Every time he makes a gaffe the foreign investors look elsewhere.

Wait a second,,, is 't this bloke throwing people in gaol for damaging Thailand's reputation and even more for hurting the Thai stock market???

AAhh sorry my bad it's the other people that wear the wrong color shirt that this buffoon throws in the slammer for this stuff, now I got itwhistling.gif

the TVF lovers of this donkey? Spin that if ya can.

Edited by aussieinthailand

Nice photo but why is he pointing at the guy squatting below??

To understand this one has to understand Thai culture.

He points to the "demon" in traditional Khon dance means symbolically he identifies evil. Don't let evil rise once reckoned where evil is.

Some comments in this thread indicate once again that many foreigners don't know anything about Thai culture and hence this raises the question whether one should critize something one does not even have the slightest clue about? whistling.gif

He want the military to lead Thailand even if there is a democratic election in Thailand. The military should never have power over the elected officials because the military post are assigned by military friends or relatives. Not be the people!

He points to the "demon" in traditional Khon dance means symbolically he identifies evil. Don't let evil rise once reckoned where evil is.

Some comments in this thread indicate once again that many foreigners don't know anything about Thai culture and hence this raises the question whether one should critize something one does not even have the slightest clue about? whistling.gif

Oh you are so cultured and well informed, a true Thailand guru! I suddenly feel like im not worthy of staying here, on top of everything I ask the som tam lady for mai pet.

I suddenly feel like im not worthy of staying here, on top of everything I ask the som tam lady for mai pet.

That is your problem.

Better do not rely on your emotions but rather on your mind. This makes things much easier. Also here in Thailand. Asking for mai pet is already a step towards the right direction. If you can not cope with "pet" stay away from it even if Thai food is known for its hotness. wai.gif

The entire country understands very well that if there was ever an election with one person, one vote, the Pheu Thai (how I hate these color names) would win, hands down. This was especially understood by Suthep and he set out to create enough chaos to justify the Army stepping in. Everyone understands this also.

What is not so well understood is that every feudal oligarchy that has ever existed has gone through a similar experience that Thailand now finds itself experiencing. Some chose a draconian revolution led by Marxists and some took a path less violent. Eventually Thailand will chose a path, but it should be mindful of history as it makes up its collective minds.

It never seems to stop, all this anti-coup garbage that I read !! It is hard to believe that some want to return to the "Status Quo" with the same old corrupt politicians and business men running Thailand. Leave it alone !! Let the PM/General run his course and you will see Thailand will be better off. If you only lived in Thailand and had a closed mind you do not know the difference. If you had your cranium up your tailpipe during the Taksin era and said nothing, you were a large part of the problem.

If you do not believe those responsible for lose from the Rice Scheme should be brought to trial, you are part of the problem.

If you do not believe that a drastic change in the Elementary, High School and College Education System needs and is a top priority, then you are part of the problem. People with no Circumspect are like sheep headed to the slaughter.

As are the brainwashed who cannot or will not recognise stories have two or more sides and pass off their opinions as the exact, literal and absolute truth, instead of qualifying them with phrases such as 'In my opinion'...

If the country was shut down, what would that mean, what would be the difference compared to the situation now?

I wonder what the bosses of companies like Toyota and Western Digital thought when they heard this?!w00t.gif

Most companies are opening up in the the Philippines now. They are starting smaller factories to test the waters, seems the biggest fear they would face there would be some type of natural disaster. They have a lower labor cost, better English speaking work force, easy access to ports, decent infrastructure and a stable government. Thailand is killing the goose...

So many posters here seem to delight in bashing the man in charge here, but he DID save the country from imminent civil wa!

No.. The actions of the military, in supporting Suthep, stopping the police from ensuring crowd control, and constantly reminding the elected government that any attempt at controlling the minority protesters who illegally blockaded the capital (who had dwindled to a few 100 happy clapping grannys by the time of the coup) was the exact source of the risks of conflict.

The yellows lose elections.. The yellows had run out of steam at protesting their losses anyway.. The losers need to understand how elections work, you campaign on a platform, you win or lose, then the winners get to enable that platform, if it fails (as per the rice system) you then use their failures to show you would do a better job.

What a magnificent post. Thank you for showing us all exactly what grip the average Pheu-Thai supporter has on reality.

Just a couple of questions:

Why did you omit any reference to the murder of 30 protesters by government backed terrorists which is what led to the coup ?.

Why did you omit any reference to the police failing to stop or catch any of these terrorists ?. Was that Sutheps fault as well ?.

Please give us your opinion of the situation in 2010 when red-shirts built their camps in Bangkok and ?.

On second thoughts don't bother. I nearly forgot my own signature message.

So in your so incredibly enlightened opinion, Did your hero mean what he said? to "shut down the country" or are you buying his BS back peddling again as you so often do when he comes out with his mental minnow comments?

Once again this buffoon has done it again, so what dose that make his supporters? He makes it so easy that it's no challenge and almost no fun.whistling.gif

Oh you are so cultured and well informed, a true Thailand guru! I suddenly feel like im not worthy of staying here, on top of everything I ask the som tam lady for mai pet.

Rather well put. I thought it was a remarkably pompous thing to say as well!

smile.png

smile.png

I agree, pompous indeed. When I first came to Thailand, visited the many parks and monuments I learned that the many Thai 'gods' always seem in opposition

It's a pity we weren't given the origin and where the word 'Khon' comes from just for completeness(Ayutthaya and not known, respectively). I wonder if the poster knows how today's dance differs from the old? But there you go some of us like to take the opportunity for a jest or two, don't we.

smile.png

I agree, pompous indeed. When I first came to Thailand, visited the many parks and monuments I learned that the many Thai 'gods' always seem in opposition

It's a pity we weren't given the origin and where the word 'Khon' comes from just for completeness(Ayutthaya and not known, respectively). I wonder if the poster knows how today's dance differs from the old? But there you go some of us like to take the opportunity for a jest or two, don't we.

It never seems to stop, all this anti-coup garbage that I read !! It is hard to believe that some want to return to the "Status Quo" with the same old corrupt politicians and business men running Thailand. Leave it alone !! Let the PM/General run his course and you will see Thailand will be better off. If you only lived in Thailand and had a closed mind you do not know the difference. If you had your cranium up your tailpipe during the Taksin era and said nothing, you were a large part of the problem.

If you do not believe those responsible for lose from the Rice Scheme should be brought to trial, you are part of the problem.

If you do not believe that a drastic change in the Elementary, High School and College Education System needs and is a top priority, then you are part of the problem. People with no Circumspect are like sheep headed to the slaughter.

It is hard to believe that people who make such impassioned contributions know nothing about Thai history. Let me ask you a few simple questions that might help your understanding;

1. How many coups have there been since 1932?

2. What reason has the Thai army given every time it has committed a coup?

3. After so many coups initiated to solve corruption created by politicians, how successful have the army been at eradicating the corruption?

So, have you got it yet...coups do not solve corruption, that is only smoke & mirrors.

It is hard to believe that people who make such impassioned contributions know nothing about Thai history. Let me ask you a few simple questions that might help your understanding;

3. After so many coups initiated to solve corruption created by politicians, how successful have the army been at eradicating the corruption?

So, have you got it yet...coups do not solve corruption, that is only smoke & mirrors.

You're absolutely right. What NONE of the junta lovers can answer is the following question:

After 19 coups that failed to change anything for the better exactly what makes you believe this time will be different???

Edited by MZurf

smile.png

Well, despite living and working here in Thailand for almost 16 years I obviously cannot get rid of my pompous roots from pompous Europe, can't I?

Although, my remarks were just a reaction to the pompous actions of people from pompous countries always trying to bring the Kingdom down independant from whatever action she takes. This forum appears to be flooded by them.

Does't the pompous saying "to know shit from Shinola" origin from the US and so I was just making reference to that? Pompous as I am and pompous as you are and pompous as the PM is. whistling.gif

You're absolutely right. What NONE of the junta lovers can answer is the following question:

After 19 coups that failed to change anything for the better exactly what makes you believe this time will be different???

Hm, perhaps not returning to the old routine of "democrazy" too quickly without trying to get rid of the basic problems first although pompously demanded by pompous countries and their pompous people? whistling.gif