Average Thai consumes 26 teaspoons of sugar per day: officials

Jonathan Fairfield

Promotion ads of green tea and soft drinks to face banning

1581-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Promotion of green tea and soft drinks is now eyed by the Department of Health for banning after considering their high levels of sugar that is harmful to health, particularly children and adults.

The deputy director-general of the Department of Health Dr Sutha Jienmaneechotchai stated that the Department was considering a proposal to control green tea and carbonated drinks which have high sugar content because it is detrimental to health, According to Bangkok Post reported.

He said the Consumer Protection Board and the Food and Drug Administration would be asked to regulate advertising promotions on soft drinks and green tea adverts because of the high sugar content was harmful to health.

He said Thais’ daily sugar consumption is over four times the World Health Organisation (WHO)’s recommended level.

According to WHO, it recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grammes per day would provide additional health benefits.

Thai consumes 104 grammes of sugar per day or about 26 teaspoons, he said.

Promotion campaign of soft drinks that offered cars and gold to consumers has encouraged over consumption of sugar, he said.

He said intake of sugar from normal food, such as rice, fruit or cooked food, is not harmful to health because it contains low levels of sugar, but excessive sugar added to manufactured food or drinks such as green tea is detrimental to health.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/promotion-ads-of-green-tea-and-soft-drinks-to-face-banning

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-05

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diabetes will become endemic !

It already is endemic all over the world. In fact, diabetes is the fastest growing disease in the world. It's ironic that loving parents are dooming their children to a short life of diabetes and cardiovascular disease by feeding their kids so much white sugar.

most Thais get their sugar from beverages such as soft drinks (9 teaspoons per serving), green tea (13 teaspoons),

And yet the sugar free versions of those beverages are invisible in Thailand for most of the time

Don't get fooled by that.

Sugar free versions are worse than sugar containing and increase obesity rates - in particular, those containing Splenda, Aspartame, ACE-K, Neotame and Saccharin. Not only do they cause neuro-generative disease but they can cause cancer. Having said that, sugar is the leading cause of cancer and feeds the cancer once you have been afflicted by it.

It is not a revelation that sugar is bad and makes you fat.

We westerners are the problem...look at all the fatties at the airport...all westerners !!!

Thais shold not follow the same path, but too much money in it. Western foods are a prime example of a millenium of bad choices. We are plagued with dieseases that are just now reaching over to asia.

Let us be a walking warning of changing to a fatty, sugary diet

We should be studying their diet, 30 years ago..before western Foods contaminated asia.

Edited by slipperylobster

We westerners are the problem...look at all the fatties at the airport...all westerners !!!

Thais shold not follow the same path, but too much money in it. Western foods are a prime example of a millenium of bad choices. We are plagued with dieseases that are just now reaching over to asia.

We should be studying their diet, 30 years ago..before western Foods contaminated asia.

What a nonsense. The Mediterranean and Nordic diets are among the healthiest in the world.

Edited by SoilSpoil

What a nonsense. The Mediterranean and Nordic diets are among the healthiest in the world.

The SAD diet is to blame although the biggest killer in America (and the world) is the pharmaceutical industry!!

Diet Coke or Coke Zero, and sometimes you can find sugar free green tea, but not always. Also soda water or regular water. That's about it.

So are there any drinks sold at 7/11 that are 'healthy' and do not contain sugar, carbohydrates etc.

All I see are sweetened drinks.

Any specific drinks/brands to look out for?

Recent studies suggest that artificial sweeteners like diet coke and coke zero increase the chance of type 2 diabetes by up to 500%. There is a science behind it but I won't go into it. I personally have stopped drinking them as they always made me feel hungry the next day. I feel so much better for it as well.

Diabetes will become endemic !

Um, it already is. My Thai staff go for annual medicals and even the younger ones have near-diabetes blood levels. The doctor told me that type-2 Diabetes is now off the charts in Thailand.

Tip of the day: Buy some stock in local insulin producers.

Wake up...and smell the coffee....

Asia always had the healthiest of diets. Australia, England, Germany, USA...etc....gluttons who love sugary donuts, fatty meats, buttery bread and lol...bacon, bacon and bacon. Oh, don't forget sodas, candy, chips, burgers...pizza...and sugar in ever can of vegies.

I have been to scandinavian countries...and they have sugary treats just the same...and shelves full of starchy, sugary canned stuff. Oily tuna...you name it. Pastries galore.

cream filled stuff......yuck.

Before western people got here...it was all fresh fruits, vegies, fish, poultry and pork...with some healthy insects and such. We ruined it...so why blame them?

its no secret. We contaminated asia with our food ideas...thats the problem

So are there any drinks sold at 7/11 that are 'healthy' and do not contain sugar, carbohydrates etc.

Milk, unsweetened green tea, Gatorade, water, diet drinks...

Gatorade has about the same sugar content as the soft drinks though.

Coke light and Coke zero are the two choices for the people like me who wants something sweet to drink but are constantly fretting about calorie intake.

Milk, unsweetened green tea, Gatorade, water, diet drinks...

Gatorade has about the same sugar content as the soft drinks though.

Coke light and Coke zero are the two choices for the people like me who wants something sweet to drink but are constantly fretting about calorie intake.

Wrong my friend!!

Zero and light drinks cause more obesity than sugar - don't believe me, then check the literature from independent scientists and health officials (not the drink producers though as they are manipulative liars).

If you are going to live unhealthily then don't deceive yourself by taking the zero calorie route.

No added sugar in my coffee thumbsup.gif

Fat sweet condensed milk is even worse and the Thai drink loads of that.

None of that crap in my coffee, either thumbsup.gif

Exactly, same here...

So I must get my 30 teaspoon of Sugar a day from beers..

Doesn't work that way - the sugar is fermented into alcohol such as the milk sugar lactose is fermented in producing kefir meaning that it is generally safe for lactose intolerant people to drink kefir (but not normal dairy).

Yes, there is research strongly indicating that consumption of "diet" sugars is strongly associated with increasing obesity. Weird, but true. It's not just about the simple minded math of calories. Obesity is much more complex than that.

Another example, fresh fruit has calories and has natural sugars but the sugars in fresh fruit (NOT JUICE!) are processed differently by the body.

Edited by Jingthing

White sugar (99.9% sucrose) is a highly addictive drug. Don't think it's addictive? Try not eating any for one week. It has no nutritive value what-so-ever ... only empty calories.

Added sugar is the only thing commonly found in food which the human body does not need at all.

I don't classify processed substances as food which is why I don't eat it or add sugar to everything.

My daily processed sugar consumption is approximately zero.

Thailand can easy grow pulasan (shorthaired rambutan) who are good against diabetes and obesitas.

Some of the Pulasan Health Benefits are:

• Weight Loss: It helps you lose excess flab in your body and helps in maintaining a healthy body weight.

• Good for Diabetes:Pulasan fruit is used in managing blood sugar level in diabetics. It is beneficial for both types of people who do not have enough insulin or whose cells do not respond to the insulin produced in the cells.

Read more: Health Benefits of Pulasan - Recipes, Tips http://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/health-benefits-of-pulasan.htm#ixzz3qbCTiTG0

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=pulasan+diabetes&rlz=1C1CHWL_nlTH663TH663&oq=pulasan+diabetes&aqs=chrome..69i57.4648j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I have some of those growing.

White sugar (99.9% sucrose) is a highly addictive drug. Don't think it's addictive? Try not eating any for one week. It has no nutritive value what-so-ever ... only empty calories.

Added sugar is the only thing commonly found in food which the human body does not need at all.

I don't classify processed substances as food which is why I don't eat it or add sugar to everything.

Fair enough. But it is present in so many food stuffs supposedly for taste purposes it is frightening.

It's ironic that I have yet to see a cookery show anywhere in the world where the chef adds any sugar, other than in desserts obviously.

It is not required in any cuisine, and yet it has found its way into daily food consumption of savoury products in Thailand.

I mentioned elsewhere that the domestic price of sugar in Thailand is fixed below the global price. Just remove this price control would be a start.

Of course one has to realise that the soft drinks makers in Thailand are partnered with some of the most powerful if not the most powerful people in Thailand. Coke just love sugar being cheaper than it need be.

As for HFCS, let's not go there because it is a franken food which is wreaking havoc on the waistlines of the people of the USA.

Change is coming to the UK soon I have little doubt, it will be taxed. I said that this would happen as soon as they had finished with the tobacco industry.

Refined sugar is a scourge.

Fair enough. But it is present in so many food stuffs supposedly for taste purposes it is frightening.

It's ironic that I have yet to see a cookery show anywhere in the world where the chef adds any sugar, other than in desserts obviously.

It is not required in any cuisine, and yet it has found its way into daily food consumption of savoury products in Thailand.

I mentioned elsewhere that the domestic price of sugar in Thailand is fixed below the global price. Just remove this price control would be a start.

Of course one has to realise that the soft drinks makers in Thailand are partnered with some of the most powerful if not the most powerful people in Thailand. Coke just love sugar being cheaper than it need be.

As for HFCS, let's not go there because it is a franken food which is wreaking havoc on the waistlines of the people of the USA.

Change is coming to the UK soon I have little doubt, it will be taxed. I said that this would happen as soon as they had finished with the tobacco industry.

Refined sugar is a scourge.

You are right to mention the dangers of HFCS - GMO's are the next massive danger to peoples health as they cause massive tumours in lab tested animals!!

I have pretty much 'bullet proofed" myself against getting cancer now as I don't eat anything refined and take supplements vitamins, herbs and spices. I wouldn't be that concerned if I did get cancer as it is easy to cure by natural means!! There are literally dozens of ways to cure cancer and all diseases.

On the cancer cures, just type TY Bollinger into a search engine to find out how to seek the answers (even for so called terminal cancer).

The main stream hasn't come up with a cancer cure whereas it has been curable for over a century by natural means, not that the cancer industry would want people to know that.

most Thais get their sugar from beverages such as soft drinks (9 teaspoons per serving), green tea (13 teaspoons),

And yet the sugar free versions of those beverages are invisible in Thailand for most of the time

Sugar free versions are worse than sugar containing and increase obesity rates - in particular, those containing Splenda, Aspartame, ACE-K, Neotame and Saccharin. Not only do they cause neuro-generative disease but they can cause cancer. Having said that, sugar is the leading cause of cancer and feeds the cancer once you have been afflicted by it.

So you are saying that the human body just ignores the laws of physics and magically turn 0 calories into "very high calories"?

Sugar in it self doesn't make anyone fat. What makes people fat is that they eat too many calories compared to what they use.

So you are saying that the human body just ignores the laws of physics and magically turn 0 calories into "very high calories"?

No, that is not what he's saying.

Don't assume it's only about calories.

Because science is way beyond that simplistic thinking.

If you had written "carbohydrates" instead of sugars it would have been correct. A human being don't have to eat a single gram of carbohydrates in their entire life and still live a perfectly healthy life.