Crock Pot or Slow Cooker

Issangeorge

I should have mentioned that because most rice cooker inside pots tend to be thin aluminium, some foods can get scorched on the pot bottom if the liquid level gets to low. Rice cookers are vented so water can boil away over time. Frequent stirring is recommended.

I bought both of mine in Big C and have recently seen them in Tesco, usually one off. As stated above Lazada has a big selection. I've ordered many things from them with no problems, usually free delivery nationwide.

30 of them here: http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=slow+cookers

Unless you have a fancy rice cooker with a temp control it won't work as a slow cooker. The ones with the on/off button have a thermostat that operates on only one temperature. When you turn it on the water will heat to boiling and continue to boil full on. The principal of there cooker is that the temperature inside the cooker will never rise above 100 degrees when there is water in the cooker. Once the rice has fully absorbed the water the temperature will rise above 100 degrees, the thermostat will since it, and turn it to low. The low setting in my cooker is only about 45 degrees, not high enough to cook anything no matter how long you leave it in there.

Buy one, medium to large, and try it, you'll like it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've never used one, but see lots of recipes for slow cookers that I figure might be good for the quality of beef we get here. I think I'll try a rice cooker, before I buy a proper cooker.

Buy one of the more expensive rice cookers (Philips, Toshiba etc) which do have a slow cook function.

Use mine for boeuf bourguignon and use the cheapest cut of beef, set it for 3.5 hrs and the result is great!!!

I bought one at Tesco for less than 800Baht, and it works great, use it all the time.

Don't know how I lived so long without one.

I have been using one of these in the picture for over 2 years. The only problem I have had is the plastic handles on the side crack & brake with the heat.

I would buy another one.

Can be bought at Tesco, Big C, Makro, Home Pro.coffee1.gif

I bought one at Tesco for less than 800Baht, and it works great, use it all the time.

I have been using one of these in the picture for over 2 years. The only problem I have had is the plastic handles on the side crack & brake with the heat.

I would buy another one.

Also have had a very similar model by Hanabashi for years and have no problems. No need to spend more on a fancy device or ruin a rice cooker.

Edited by chmod777

I would buy another one.

Also have had a very similar model by Hanabashi for years and have no problems. No need to spend more on a fancy device or ruin a rice cooker.

Mine is a Hanabashi also, I dont like OTTO products, dont seem to last.coffee1.gif

Both of mine are Hanabishi, a small one, HSC-105, that I bought in 1998 and a larger one, HSC-303, that I bought in 2004. Both are still slow cooking away. It's not something that you use everyday. I even make Irish soda bread in the large one. It comes out great and is a good dipping bread for stews and other dishes that need dipping bread.

I bought Hanabishi mainly because that was all that was available at the time that I wanted one and they have worked fine ever since no matter how many times I overloaded them and they boiled over and soaked the heating element.

• 1 month later...

Had one for over ten years then it gave up the ghost. Purchased a new Otto but it boils things on slow and several dinners were ruined and dried out from too much heat. May try a Hanabashi 3.8 L - anyone got any ideas where to purchase a good one, preferably by a US or UK company with actual temperature settings on them?

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately as stated, the Otto brand is the one that ruined the meals. Things should not boil when on 'low' setting - my previous one (can't remember the manufacturer) which I bought in Power Buy right after Paragon opened years ago, worked fine - no boiling unless I set it on either 'High' or "automatic'.

Had good results with the Otto brand, had it for 5yrs now, used a few times a week. Has, Off, Low, High and Auto settings.

same here, Otto for 14 yrs .. 2.5lt .. just the right size for 2 nights. low heat is good for stews ... high heat for yellow curry chicken.

All the slow cookers i have seen recently have a small vent hole in the lid. (Like the Otto model in the above picture)

My stainless slow cooker has a glass lid with no hole and works great.

I thought that one of the ways that slow cookers work was to cook the contents with the steam produced in a sealed pot, but surely with a hole in the lid the steam escapes?

Edited by Boycie

We just bought a high-end ricecooker (hitachi) which can also do slow-cooking. The pot is nonstick and made of thick heavy metal.

But when i used it for slowcooking beefstew i saw the water boiling all the time. I'm no expert but slowcooking doesn't mean boiling right?

It cooks the rice much better then the cheap one we had before. Nice fluffy rice and comes easy out of the pot.

Edited by Thian

We just bought a high-end ricecooker (hitachi) which can also do slow-cooking. The pot is nonstick and made of thick heavy metal.

But when i used it for slowcooking beefstew i saw the water boiling all the time. I'm no expert but slowcooking doesn't mean boiling right?

It cooks the rice much better then the cheap one we had before. Nice fluffy rice and comes easy out of the pot.

yeah right, for stews etc you need a crock pot .... otto or similar .. 750 baht -- 1800 baht

yeah right, for stews etc you need a crock pot .... otto or similar .. 750 baht -- 1800 baht

Our new ricecooker is one destined for japan, highest quality they said but if it boils while slow cooking we can't use it for that.

While slowcooking it also needs extra water a few times or it will become solid food. That's after every 2-3 hours though.

The slowcooker another member posted a pic of costs 500 baht for a small one, it looks really good so i'll buy one of those to see if that works better. Slowcooking beef smells great.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought both of mine in Big C and have recently seen them in Tesco, usually one off. As stated above Lazada has a big selection. I've ordered many things from them with no problems, usually free delivery nationwide.

All the products on Lazada are listed as slow cookers, which means they are vented rice cookers and the water boils away over time - no good for slow cooking. Real slow cookers do not seem to be available in Thailand.

better yet...

just get one of those clay pots with the lids they sell everywhere, on the side of the road. We use it all the time...even in the oven. Use low temp. Food is delicious out of this....but I don't know why. Just toss whatever you want in there (potatoes, onions, carrots, squash, and chicken/pork)...put some liquid and season. Bake on low. Comes out just the same as crockpot food after two hour. Can cook on top of stove too. Also marinate a roast, place over potatoes, and leave lid off...bake until done. Marinate in rice wine, soy and oyster sauce. OMG. Best ever.

Next time...chicken and dumplings.... after that...cornbread stuffing and roast pork. apple dumplings...etc.

Edited by slipperylobster