Thai motorcycle taxi fare to be standardized nationwide

webfact

Can we get that in Thai writing on official government stationary, so we can show the taxi-motorbike drivers?

Then I will give him my standard 50 baht to my regular bar, which is probably 1,9km anyway. I might even tip a 10-20 on top of that if I am in a good mood and he drives normally (=safely) as requested.

Is this an attempt to rein in police income?

In Bangkok, the daily "jacket" fee usually goes to the local police. 200 Baht per rider per day.

Or is it an attempt to push the male (mostly) population into doing some more constructive work?

Or is it just another very badly thought-out idea from those who are showing themselves incapable of providing direction for the national economy?

Your fourth on the list is pretty accurate.............

Same S%$! - different story. I've been here 5+ years and I've never had a problem with motor taxis. That extends from On Nut to Nana. I take them infrequently..., don't ask the price..., pay a little more than what I know the fare would be when they get me there (called a "tip")..., and everyone's happy.

How soon westerners forget the exorbitant fares for public transportation in their home countries.

Do foreigners have to pay double for public transport in the country you come from?

Same S%$! - different story. I've been here 5+ years and I've never had a problem with motor taxis. That extends from On Nut to Nana. I take them infrequently..., don't ask the price..., pay a little more than what I know the fare would be when they get me there (called a "tip")..., and everyone's happy.

How soon westerners forget the exorbitant fares for public transportation in their home countries.

So you pay a little "tip" ... that is why farangs are always charged more. Thais don't tip motorcycle taxis.

My friend always bragged that he would tip 100 baht for beers in the bar and tip the girl 500 Baht (on top of the price she asked for). Now he complains that everything is so expensive.

I left my "home country" 40 years ago so I have no idea what the fares are there. Thailand has been my home for the past 20 years.

Why do people always have to compare prices with their home countries. As far as I know it is impossible to take a motorcycle taxi in my "home country" so comparing fares is impossible. Also my salary here is much much lower than in my home country.

Now if you compare beer prices then Thailand is far more expensive than where I lived 20 years ago.

Never had problem with motorbike taxi so far. Maybe it would be good, if all motorbike places must display prices for all destinations near by.

Many motorbike places do it already by them self.

I would support a law that all motorbike taxi stands must display a pricelist in thai and english.

Call me a miserable farang, but nothing annoys me more than when they splurt out some insane price for a short ride when you arrive.

I always just laugh and pay the going rate. Still, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth that they even had the audacity to try and charge so much.

I don't get upset. Nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

Another example of this government expending resources (manpower) on something that has very little impact or relevancy.

And I don't think they really understand that one of Thailand's biggest obstacles to success is centralized planning from Bangkok. You can't take one school curriculum, one set of prices, one definition of what being Thai is, and spread it across 70 million people with diverse ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds.

I've only used a motorcycle taxi once. It was about 2 km drive from the bus station to my house. The guy asked for 100 baht when we arrived. I gave him 20 baht and went through my gate. End of story.

I arrived in Mor Chit the first time and was approached by a motorcycle taxi. It was about 2 km to the hotel. He asked for 200 baht. I told home where to go and got a taxi meter, clean and airconditioned for 67 baht on the meter. I gave him 100 baht and we were both pleased.