Pai rape of British tourist sparks bar closing time crackdown in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shock, close bars thousands of km away. Blame anyone or anything.

As usual knee jerk reaction from TVF posters.No bar is closing.They are shutting at 4 am,a time designated by the bar owners themselves.This is what the bar owners want,this is what they get,can't be any fairer than that.When bars stay open past closing time in the west,what happens.I rekon the police come around.One minute posters on here moan about law and order and now when they say,after being very lenient,that they are going to enforce the law posters moan again.A lot of posters here love to moan and whinge about anything Thai.This negative outlook on life will do you no good.Sorry to attach this to your post,but all the above posts were in similiar vein.

Why not just ban drinking all together. Then there will be no rapes, murders, thefts, fights or any criminal activity. the Police would then have nothing at all to do. OH thats right they don't do anything anyway. If they also ban all tourist then it would be even better. Just the thinking of the leading Police Force in the world.

What is the connection with a rape in Pai with enforcing Phuket bar times?

Is this a good example of ..... pick any excuse out of a hat?

Is this not the Pai in the very North of Thailand, beside Myanmar, and used as the jumping off point for treks?

Doh,if you read the post above you would know that it is a NATIONWIDE crackdown,just announced in Phuket.Actually they negotiated later closing times,what more do you want.if your an alco,stack the fridge before you go out.

Yet another topic witch got this time 99% negative comments.

Let them just try if closing early will bring back crime. What does this in any way got to do with you all old farts who only hang around at home doing nothing.

Pray for a crackdown on negative people.!

post 16 what an <deleted> you are a disgusting post, typical police reaction, remember soi cowboy, one bar had 2 underage girls in there so they shut the street down, one persons mistake and the whole street suffered. its like saying if my neighbour done something wrong it is my fault as well, oh very logical.

Bars staying open late ... definitely the root cause of rape. Need a professional white paper published on this.

"However, he added, I dont think that will solve the rape problem completely. Its not the entertainment industrys fault that the crime happened". I think you missed this.

A complete overreaction to what has taken place. A person is raped and the perpetrator has been caught and we hope face justice. The closing hours of the bars have nothing to do with this crime. If you want to enforce closing times- do it all the time. If you want to protect tourists from rape and other crimes- make sure there is a police presence and a deterrent such as harsh punishment. Thailand keeps shooting itself in the foot with its ridiculous statements and lack of sensitivity to these type of incidents. People are starting to vote with their feet. Too bad, it used to be a great place to visit and have some fun.

While i agree with most of what you say,where is your evidence that people are leaving.The only ones leaving will be the tourist visa rorters.

I have a little trouble with this part:

nationwide order to enforce bar and entertainment venue closing times will be enforced in Phuket

LOL yeah. All bars in Phuket will be closed nationwide.

[/quot

Is English your 1st language,you have trouble with comprehension or are you just twisting words to suit your agenda.I'll pick the latter.

Phuket police on prevention alert prior to Pai rape

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2558-11-07 at 7.06.02 AM.png

PHUKET: Phuket police reassured the community that efforts to enforce closing times of nightlife venues were already in full swing, prior to the directive issued by the Royal Thai Police, in the wake of a British woman being raped.

Royal Thai Police ordered officers this week to renew efforts in ensuring that all entertainment venues are closed on time, following the rape of the 30-year-old British national by a Thai man in Pai, in northern Thailand, on October 25.

We are of course following orders. However, we are already on top of the issue and doing our best to ensure nightlife venues are closing on time, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teeraphol Thipjaroen confirmed to the Phuket Gazette today.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-police-prevention-alert-prior-Pai-rape/62305?desktopversion#sthash.AJkvKQ64.dpuf

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-07

I think its a little late now for this because UK press are having a field day with the way the RTP came out saying it was the girls fault let see how this will effect people plans for the Christmas holidays this year .. whistling.gif

No effect what so ever.Trips are booked,the just want to get out of the cold,a rape and closing times arn't going to stop that.When Thai women start closing their legs,that will slow the 2 week millionaires down.

A nationwide crackdown to close the bars huh? How about a worldwide crackdown on stupidity to close Thailand? clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Can we have a crackdown on posters who make inane comments and think the rape of a young girl is something to make fun of ?

A nationwide crackdown to close the bars huh? How about a worldwide crackdown on stupidity to close Thailand? clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Can we have a crackdown on posters who make inane comments and think the rape of a young girl is something to make fun of ?
Or better yet, a crackdown on sarcasm or free speach. Maybe a crackdown on people who didn't get the point of my reply as being a poke on the fact t that Thai athoraties are trying redirect the blame of this rape away from their own socioties social shorcomings being responsible for this rape and blaming it on businesess that cater to foreign tourist. Or wait this could go back to the crackdown on stupidity.

Instead of interfering with people running their business and forbidding people from having a drink when they want, why not focus attention on something useful, like improving driving habits and enforcing laws that will save lives such as the fact it is illegal to travel in the back of pickups, it is illegal to speed, it is illegal to run red lights etc etc etc. But then, that would mean real work, wouldn't it.

I have a little trouble with this part:

nationwide order to enforce bar and entertainment venue closing times will be enforced in Phuket

IMO, no doubt this will apply only to TOURIST venues, and even then ( expensive ) hotels will no doubt be exempt. Also no doubt that it won't apply to THAI oriented venues.

Instead of interfering with people running their business and forbidding people from having a drink when they want, why not focus attention on something useful, like improving driving habits and enforcing laws that will save lives such as the fact it is illegal to travel in the back of pickups, it is illegal to speed, it is illegal to run red lights etc etc etc. But then, that would mean real work, wouldn't it.

it is illegal to travel in the back of pickups,

Are you sure about that? If it really was a law and was enforced, Thai business would come to a halt. There are thousands of songteaws carrying people all over Thailand and they are pickups too.

What's next, not allowing overloaded songteaws, standing on the back footplate of moving songteaws etc etc? Bit too nanny stateish for me- I didn't move to Thailand to live in a country just the same as the overregulated nanny state I come from.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Could not have said better myself Barry.

Every other week there is some new law coming out concerning alcohol. Is this place run by closet muslims ,methodists or something.They can't enforce the laws they already have but still bringing out more.

And this not being able to buy alcohol when you need it. I have a bar/restaurant which opens at 11.00 but even with all the relevent licenses I can not buy alcohol before 11.00 now.Totally pathetic. So I have lose business to close to go shopping in the STUPID selling hours .I live in the sticks so have to travel quite a few clicks to Macro so can take a couple of hours business lost.

Why not educate the animals that it is not OK to rape ,Even if it OK back in thier village in Nakon Si Nowhere.

There you go...now that bars are closing at respectable times there will instantly and forever be no more rapes.

Thank goodness the police are on the ball and have it all sussed out. Why can't we figure these things out in the west?

Well we figured it out in Australia where they now have earlier closing times than before and lockins.This is to curb street violence where several young lads died from king hits.Ozzys are to drunk to rape.

The Ozzie Muzzies ain't.

Yet another topic witch got this time 99% negative comments.

Let them just try if closing early will bring back crime. What does this in any way got to do with you all old farts who only hang around at home doing nothing.

Pray for a crackdown on negative people.!

Perhaps they have daughters.

The thinking power of idiots. Close everything by 2am and nobody will get raped. Might as well close all the restaurants early so nobody will get fat.

your point and analogies are simplistic and somewhat irrelevant. Reason? You talk in absolute terms which don't apply here. A number of crime related activities have been linked to licensed premises trading hours and not just in Thailand.

Dear : Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner Pol Gen Wutthi Phuawade

May I suggest that your superiors (at the Top) insist that all entertainment venues publish there authorised opening hours at the entrance to the venue.

If the venue is open later than the stipulated hour or does not have the sign at the entrance, then it be closed immediately for a period your Government can decide.

Thailand, hub of logical thinking whenever it comes to cause/effect... coffee1.gif

I agree, up to a point, the Thai way of thinking is very different to the western way. But somehow they have stumbled through hundreds of years of history largely without the help of us wise western people.

Most of these ridiculous rules they introduce are merely copies of western rules, like opening times for liquor outlets, the distance bars are allowed to operate from schools etc, those rules have been in place in western countries for years.

Some of the comments on this forum defy logic at times. When the Police announce a crackdown it is dismissed as something that won't last long.

Yet when the current Government does something similar the same posters are up in arms calling for their heads.

The current Government comes up with some wacko ideas but that has been going on for a long time, even when there were "democratically elected" mobs in control.

When the Shins take their turn back at the trough the same complaints will be made, only this time by different posters. thumbsup.gif

What's next, not allowing overloaded songteaws, standing on the back footplate of moving songteaws etc etc? Bit too nanny stateish for me- I didn't move to Thailand to live in a country just the same as the overregulated nanny state I come from.

Pickups, and songteaws used as official public transport, are not the same. Having said that, I do know someone who was thrown off the back of a songteaw when it braked to avoid a motorcyclist. He hit his head on the curb and died. I'd guess that his family would welcome a little law and order, what you call a nanny state. Nanny states prevent people dying in the huge numbers they do it Thailand. Or perhaps you have the same attitude of the locals, that life is cheap and if someone dies it was meant to be.

Phuket police on prevention alert prior to Pai rape

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2558-11-07 at 7.06.02 AM.png

PHUKET: Phuket police reassured the community that efforts to enforce closing times of nightlife venues were already in full swing, prior to the directive issued by the Royal Thai Police, in the wake of a British woman being raped.

Royal Thai Police ordered officers this week to renew efforts in ensuring that all entertainment venues are closed on time, following the rape of the 30-year-old British national by a Thai man in Pai, in northern Thailand, on October 25.

We are of course following orders. However, we are already on top of the issue and doing our best to ensure nightlife venues are closing on time, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Teeraphol Thipjaroen confirmed to the Phuket Gazette today.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-police-prevention-alert-prior-Pai-rape/62305?desktopversion#sthash.AJkvKQ64.dpuf

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-07

I think its a little late now for this because UK press are having a field day with the way the RTP came out saying it was the girls fault let see how this will effect people plans for the Christmas holidays this year .. whistling.gif

No effect what so ever.Trips are booked,the just want to get out of the cold,a rape and closing times arn't going to stop that.When Thai women start closing their legs,that will slow the 2 week millionaires down.

And isn't that really what the nation offers, and why it can get away with all and sundry inept and irresponsible governance and suffer little for it? Foreign males on apparently all consuming sex quests enable this.