METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

well you see a gun 'kills' 1 fish, a bomb 2 and an interstellar supermassive black hole.....'3' I mean it worked like nothing else for the 11-12's, can't remember the names they have for schools 'mattayum' or something, but you also got a rather more cryptic appreciation from the 15-16's contemplating the relative scale of destruction for such things and a rather inquisitive '3 fish teasher' *frowns* - 'yep, 3 fish for one of those'. Teaching is absolutely priceless in this country - it's just the adults who ruin everything.

you will find me on the market reading some casual reader book about quantum mechanics, cosmology, mathematical reality these days whilst my lady works the veg, I got in to it whilst contemplating my own death - like so many do - in pattaya a few years ago, just to put my mind at rest cometh the worst - I am prepared for the METV lols!!

I did 2 weeks of K1, K2 and K3 this year, colouring in mainly, songs from Frozen and songs like "Good morning, good morning to you", never againbah.gif

200k in your bank account for 6 months? Marriage extension only requires 400k for 2 months.

Will we see a spike in people getting married?

Could be a good time to open a wedding business catering to foreigners.

I don't quite get it, the message is directed to Laotians.

Are they saying the 200,000 must be in the Laotian's bank account or a Thai bank account?

If someone has never been to Thailand, it can't possibly be in a Thai bank account

And I doubt a Laoatian would have to leave the equiv in kip in their own bank for six months.

What am I not seeing?

200k in your bank account for 6 months? Marriage extension only requires 400k for 2 months.

Are they saying the 200,000 must be in the Laotian's bank account or a Thai bank account?

If someone has never been to Thailand, it can't possibly be in a Thai bank account

And I doubt a Laoatian would have to leave the equiv in kip in their own bank for six months.

What am I not seeing?

It probably means that you need to have the equivalent of 200 000 B in your own bank account in your own currency

• Like 1

What am I not seeing?

It probably means that you need to have the equivalent of 200 000 B in your own bank account in your own currency

That's a lot of kip.

So, if you have it in your bank account in your currency, how much do they think you should be taking with you for expenses, or do they just assume you can use ATM's which of course a lot of Laotian's can't, because it's not a convertible currency, even if it is shown on the Bangkok Bank exchange board and I'm not even sure they have ATM cards that are acceptable (but I'm not sure)

From 13 November 2015, the sixty (60) days Tourist Visa with “Double (2)” and “Triple (3)” Entries will no longer be available.

2. Bank Statement with a minimum balance equivalent of Two Hundred Thousand (200,000) Baht (approximately Five Thousand (5,000) Euro);

3. Employment Letter;

4. Roundtrip flight reservation or ticket (at least for the first entry);

5. Hotel reservation confirmation (at least for the first entry); and

6. Residence permit or proof of residency (for applicants who are not Dutch nationals)

Employment Letter, Residence permit , in your home country .bah.gif

Probably, the recent bombing in BKK, has brought about more background checks,

on foreigners entering the kingdom.clap2.gif

From 13 November 2015, the sixty (60) days Tourist Visa with “Double (2)” and “Triple (3)” Entries will no longer be available.

2. Bank Statement with a minimum balance equivalent of Two Hundred Thousand (200,000) Baht (approximately Five Thousand (5,000) Euro);

3. Employment Letter;

6. Residence permit or proof of residency (for applicants who are not Dutch nationals)

All the London embassy has added is 'NEW' fee for 6 month visa, everything else is the same.

3. Employment Letter;

All the London embassy has added is 'NEW' fee for 6 month visa, everything else is the same.

London has not updated the visa form either, I suppose they will get to around to it at some point...

3. Employment Letter;

London has not updated the visa form either, I suppose they will get to around to it at some point...

They're worked too hard, poor loves

• Like 1

3. Employment Letter;

This is my thinking, as well. It is about checking the documents and verifying you aren't on a "bad guys" list - not some 'make foreigner go home' thing. Your home-consulate is responsible for running the checks, so your paperwork must be validated there.

• Like 1

3. Employment Letter;

This is my thinking, as well. It is about checking the documents and verifying you aren't on a "bad guys" list - not some 'make foreigner go home' thing. Your home-consulate is responsible for running the checks, so your paperwork must be validated there.

Meanwhile the real bad guys are running around getting SE all over the place! laugh.png

It's all a load of bullsh1t, you carry one with a single entry as long as you can - I am going up there tomorrow for a double - and you keep it up, switch consulates e.t.c for as long as you can - but when the book is red, red, red, you say 'catch me if you can' and to <deleted> with all these pompous westerners in the clear for whatever reason and laying it on the rest of us - by lord thats one of the reasons I came here in the first place to get away from westerners - it's all come about from the junta and taking a METV is basically telling them they are right - you'd probably support saddam hussain 20 years ago some of you lot.

Grow some balls and use your western intellect!

• Like 1

It's all a load of bullsh1t, you carry one with a single entry as long as you can - I am going up there tomorrow for a double - and you keep it up, switch consulates e.t.c for as long as you can - but when the book is red, red, red, you say 'catch me if you can' and to <deleted> with all these pompous westerners in the clear for whatever reason and laying it on the rest of us - by lord thats one of the reasons I came here in the first place to get away from westerners - it's all come about from the junta and taking a METV is basically telling them they are right - you'd probably support saddam hussain 20 years ago some of you lot.

Tomorrow's Sunday and the new rule comes into force Monday, so doubt you'll get a double but try anyway.

Tomorrow's Sunday and the new rule comes into force Monday, so doubt you'll get a double but try anyway.

Monday after luv - ask ubonjoe if you have to.

you got next week.

What new rule come into force on 09 November 2015?

Monday after luv - ask ubonjoe if you have to.

you got next week.

My mistake bloody American date format I'm tired and see 11 wai.gif

• Like 2

-----------

The Westerners who stay actually learn the language, etc. Tell me those groups following the guy with the flag on a stick are not "playing disneyland" with Thailand. "No beer-bars" would take a leg off of their tour. Granted, they don't "spend money" there (and do any good for Thailand in the process) - but it is part of the tour. Don't forget 7-11 for meals and souvenirs. Very correct that they won't be helping poor Thai families, like Westerners do. Fact is, most Chinese on cheap package-tours spend less in than a Westerner. Subtract airfare to the Chinese Airline, and do you really think they have that much cash left to spread around?

Back to the point, how does the METV help those Chinese tourists and/or how are the Westerners being inconvenienced by its rules in any way interfering in Chinese tourism? They come to to see Thailand "As It Is" - otherwise they could go to Lao and get the clean "temples and monuments only" tour.

You are looking for tortuous explanations, when reality is much simpler -and unfortunately much uglier-

They used to want us -long staying farangs- as well as Chinese. Now with 7.8 Millions of Chinese tourists per year, they can afford to get rid of us.

It is simple as that.

Thai people opinion has been switched regarding foreigners: They used to worship us as semi-deities, they now held us responsible for all the problems this country has. Getting rid of most foreigners here, is a very popular opinion among the majority of Thais.

You only have to read the haters comments here to get an idea - a pale idea- of what the locals think of us....Where do you think they get it from?

One of the daftest posts I've read in a long time. Semi - deities?

Apparently, you haven't been around Thailand very long. Westerners, especially Americans, have enjoyed unwarranted high status for a very long time. I make it about 2000, with the increasing popularity of Thaksin and his Thai Rak Thai party that the illusion began to erode, although the Asian currency crisis, and the high-handed IMF (International Mother and Father, many Thais would say), certainly began the process.

And beginning with that most xenophobic name for Thaksin's party, slowly the government engendered dislike of foreigners, all the while looting the place. All foreigners' fault, of course.

The current crop of miscreants has taken the ball, and is well on its way to the end zone, not only driven by greed and power lust, but by their own innate fear and hatred. Thaksin's motives were manipulative, but he liked the West, relatively speaking. The junta is comprised of old dinosaurs, who are replaying England vs France of the 19th century, except with the US and China as the tuggers of rope...

• Like 1

why would you expect a country to allow young people from anywhere else in the world who happen to be financially independent to just go and live there just because they feel like it? does your home country allow that?

Well, my home country even allows people to live there who enter illegally and don't have any papers on them, which is crazy. And these people aren't even financially independent, they come there to live off state benefits.

My point is, how are people on the other visa options contributing any more to the economy than these "long term tourists"? How is a +50 year old receiving 200k a month any better than a 25 year old receiving 200k a month? How is someone who is studying English for the ED visa any better? Or an English teacher without teaching skills earning 30k a month just to be able to stay in Thailand?

If the visa system was clear indeed on the type of people they want, it would be a different story, but currently it's just a big pain in the ass for people who wish to stay in Thailand unless you are old or have a job.

---

@SS1

Re: "Lets take my situation for example, what would be the "correct visa"? / "I study for a UK distance learning course ..."

See if the UK regs allow "student" in place of "place of employment" like the DC regs do. This may depend on how many hours you enroll / semester. If not, you many need to set up a legal company there. Note, you do not need to prove that company (or even you) has "income".

Under this scheme, we will have many people using shell-companies or Distance-Learning courses combined with lines of credit to get METVs (not saying that applies to you). It is unfortunate they did not simply ask us to show money flowing into a Thai account from overseas, which would actually mean something, in this equation .

Thanks for the tips! I'm not actually from the UK but from Europe anyways looks like it could work. I will try to apply for the METV next time I return to my home country.

because your home country is governed by morons you expect thailand to follow suit? Real countries dont allow just any young guy to come in and stay as long as he likes whether you understand their reasoning or not. Live with it.

Why is proof of employment required? What does that have anything to do with being a tourist? Some people have loads of money already and do not need to work.

It demonstrates that the applicant has a reason to return to their country and reduces the chance of them staying long term in Thailand and possibly illegally working. In other words their intentions are that of a typical vacationing tourist.

I understand the logic of your thinking here, but, as i have asked before, how many people have employers that would release someone for 6-9 months at a time to even make this sort of multi-entry viable for them as opposed to the other choices available?

It could be argued i suppose that they might make two or three separate holidays by returning to their 'place of work' in between, but how many would that work for?

I have the feeling that the MFA will review the requirements they are asking if they are serious about it.

Flip side of that is that the entire exercise is just a front to get the double and triple entry TVs off the table. Don't be too quick to dispel the white elephant theory............................thumbsup.gif

Edit: To clarify (After re-reading what i have just written), it is not intended to start any conspiracy arguments, just a comment from observation in trying to work out the logic.................wink.png

As I have stated before, the METV is not intended to be useful, or used. It is merely a smokescreen for withdrawing the formerly useful double and triple-entry tourist visas.

It's a heavy-handed attempt to skew the visitor profile away from long-term stayers, who often spend their cash in the provinces, at small businesses and pay for accommodations at smaller hotels and guest houses, as well as apartments and condos, toward two-week wonders who drop their cash on overpriced stuff in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket, and then bugger off back to Blighty.

No use arguing the utility of this new scheme: there IS none.

• Like 1

why would you expect a country to allow young people from anywhere else in the world who happen to be financially independent to just go and live there just because they feel like it? does your home country allow that?

Well, my home country even allows people to live there who enter illegally and don't have any papers on them, which is crazy. And these people aren't even financially independent, they come there to live off state benefits.

My point is, how are people on the other visa options contributing any more to the economy than these "long term tourists"? How is a +50 year old receiving 200k a month any better than a 25 year old receiving 200k a month? How is someone who is studying English for the ED visa any better? Or an English teacher without teaching skills earning 30k a month just to be able to stay in Thailand?

If the visa system was clear indeed on the type of people they want, it would be a different story, but currently it's just a big pain in the ass for people who wish to stay in Thailand unless you are old or have a job.

---

@SS1

Re: "Lets take my situation for example, what would be the "correct visa"? / "I study for a UK distance learning course ..."

See if the UK regs allow "student" in place of "place of employment" like the DC regs do. This may depend on how many hours you enroll / semester. If not, you many need to set up a legal company there. Note, you do not need to prove that company (or even you) has "income".

Under this scheme, we will have many people using shell-companies or Distance-Learning courses combined with lines of credit to get METVs (not saying that applies to you). It is unfortunate they did not simply ask us to show money flowing into a Thai account from overseas, which would actually mean something, in this equation .

Thanks for the tips! I'm not actually from the UK but from Europe anyways looks like it could work. I will try to apply for the METV next time I return to my home country.

because your home country is governed by morons you expect thailand to follow suit? Real countries dont allow just any young guy to come in and stay as long as he likes whether you understand their reasoning or not. Live with it.

Most real countries don't have retirement visa either.

• Like 2

" Most real countries don't have retirement visa either."

Thailand does not offer a "retirement" visa !

Groan. Yesterday it was 'you can't overstay a visa, only your permission to stay', the day before that 'there are no 30 day tourist visas, only waivers'.

Phrases can be still be correct in informal situations if the audience understands the meaning.

• Like 1

Groan. Yesterday it was 'you can't overstay a visa, only your permission to stay', the day before that 'there are no 30 day tourist visas, only waivers'.

Phrases can be still be correct in informal situations if the audience understands the meaning.

Always much better to use correct terminology and then the risk of being "misunderstood" is reduced.

Obviously an extremely difficult concept for some to grasp.

Call me a conspiracy theory loonie but i have a very different theory on why this is happening and its all diplomatic.

Our own countries, for a long time have had a hard-on for their citizens being away long term. You can see evidence of this in the tax laws, the pension provision rules, how they cut you out of health care system, how they instruct banks to charge you extra tax and charges..and so on..

all because you have a nerve to choose a different life that involves less tax for them and money going out of the country.

I dont buy it. The Thais arent idiots and know this will cost them. Also Vientane and most of Lao will be ghost towns in 6 months without foriegners goung there

I firmly believe the pressure was put on the ASEAN committees, through diplomatic channels, (ie white faces in black suits) hat they had to unify their visa system to fit in with the rest of the worlds immigration policy.

They would have used the excuse of internatinal crime, people smuggling, drug syndicates laundering money, and all the rest of it, but the truth is they hate loosing taxpayers, western $ flooding into other currencies.

The last 10 - 15 years has seen unregulated freedom of travel and they certainly dont want to pass that example onto the next generation.

• Like 2

Always much better to use correct terminology and then the risk of being "misunderstood" is reduced.

Obviously an extremely difficult concept for some to grasp.

Misunderstanding is one thing. nit picking another

There was a good example earlier.

A member stated he had a "Multiple Entry Visa"

After some tedious "nit picking" it was determined that he had no such thing!

Had he left the country, which he needed to do, without a re-entry permit he would have lost his "extension to stay" which as you know is not a Visa ...........................

Correct use of terminology, whether you like it or not, is important.

• Like 1