Home Invasion

chrisinth

I had the same thing happen some years ago...I was mindin' me own business when I heard the neighborhood dogs barkin' in our soi and when I looked to see what the commotion was about the lizard ran towards my shophouse door and managed to get between the sliding security lattice and the sliding glass door (it was a bit smaller than yours)...

I thought 'holy jeezus inna lizard handbag' and went and got a long handled device to prod it back outside and it finally fled and then ran across the street into the neighbor's open air kitchen...the neighbors got home a short time later and I made a lizard imitation to indicate that it had got into their kitchen...

loud banging of pots and pans ensued and the little guy was flushed out and ran back to the nearby undeveloped land where it came from... not an uncommon occurrence as I found out later...

pesky lizards...but it was ultimately entertaining as I never laughed so much afterwards...

I think we would all like to see your lizard imitation. Please repost your video.

yeah...well, you know...ye sorta drag yer belly on de ground wid yer arms opposed and yer elbows stickin' out...ye get de picture?

aside from the general absurdity it was that that caused the mirth later on...

de neighbors looked at me bemusedly while I demonstrated probably thinkin': 'dese falangs sure is clazy' but then they got the picture and started wid de pots an pans...like I said it had happened before...de poor little guy was probably just lookin' fer some discarded khao pad...the two neighbor ladies prepare food in bulk fer the food stalls down de market...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

The tail can give you a nasty whack! Some years ago a neighbour thought he was doing me a favour by bringing a monitor lizard to show me. He had tied a noose just in front of its back legs and had tied it to a stake. My wife wanted to release it up local mountain but every time I approached it it spun round and tried to lash me with its tail. Eventually I threw a sack over its eyes and grabbed it behind its head and at the base of its tail, then tried to put it into a sack. It bit onto the mouth of the sack and wouldn't let go. So now I had a tiger by the tail so to speak with both hands occupied. Fortunately our Thai helper came to the rescue and cut the sack around its mouth. The wife took it up to wherever, said her best wishes and released it. The locals used to bring assorted animals to us as they knew that we would give them a few bob so that we could release them. My wife woke me up one morning and said a neighbour was out side with a python on a lead. But that's another story.

You've got guts, mate. I'd probably just offer him money to leave.

Believe me, if it wasn't for the Thai guy there at the time, i would still be booked into a hotel........................tongue.png

Seriously, all i did was drop the noose over it's head and then pretend to take pictures & videos.................wink.png

No heros here, move along please. Snakes, scorpions, spiders, i have no problems with, but big strong lizards like these, i have more than respect for.

Have they ever been known to attack (attempt to eat) humans? I mean, besides the occasional baby. Some guy woke me up at the park last week b/c he said one of those things looked like it was eying my leg.

Dangerous to confront, if they bite you you can die of infection from the bacteria they carry in their mouths from eating rotten flesh.

Very brave of the way you handled this

I did hear that in the wild they bite cattle on the leg then follow them untill they die, but don't know if that is true.

Edited by kiwikeith

I bet it is fun living next door to you, 2 large dogs left alone all day going mental!

You really don't have much of a clue when it comes to these dogs.

Extremely rare for them to even bark, it would need to be almost life-threatening for them to do that. They are rarely left alone for more than a couple of hours a day, and if its any longer they will be in their air-conned room (Yes, true but not my idea!) where they sleep at night. That's after their cooked meal (with vegetables) which they get after their 5-7 km exercise walk every day.

Again, only very rarely do the howl as these working dogs can be prone to do. Never, ever had a complaint from any of the neighbours, only compliments.

IMO, there are times when people who refer to 'a dog's life' don't really know what they are talking about........................tongue.png

I bet it is fun living next door to you, 2 large dogs left alone all day going mental!

Extremely rare for them to even bark, it would need to be almost life-threatening for them to do that. They are rarely left alone for more than a couple of hours a day, and if its any longer they will be in their air-conned room (Yes, true but not my idea!) where they sleep at night. That's after their cooked meal (with vegetables) which they get after their 5-7 km exercise walk every day.

Again, only very rarely do the howl as these working dogs can be prone to do. Never, ever had a complaint from any of the neighbours, only compliments.

IMO, there are times when people who refer to 'a dog's life' don't really know what they are talking about........................tongue.png

ours likes nothing better than a few quiet hrs.on his own,in his air con.room,after his dinner,4veg,chicken breast,beef fillet,and smart heart beef steak biscuits.

doesnt bark,only when there is danger,likes a little howl when some noisy bird or dog comes near,as he say's i live here so woof off.

7pm.its off to bed,[our bed aswell] air con on and thats it till 6am.then its out for his early morning walk,back for breakfast of mixed biscuit and asia sea bass.

so jacko45k if you want a dogs life rather than being bored on your own all day,get yourself a hound.

OUR BEST FREINDS.

You've got guts, mate. I'd probably just offer him money to leave.

Believe me, if it wasn't for the Thai guy there at the time, i would still be booked into a hotel........................tongue.png

Seriously, all i did was drop the noose over it's head and then pretend to take pictures & videos.................wink.png

No heros here, move along please. Snakes, scorpions, spiders, i have no problems with, but big strong lizards like these, i have more than respect for.

Have they ever been known to attack (attempt to eat) humans? I mean, besides the occasional baby. Some guy woke me up at the park last week b/c he said one of those things looked like it was eying my leg.

Dangerous to confront, if they bite you you can die of infection from the bacteria they carry in their mouths from eating rotten flesh.

Very brave of the way you handled this

I did hear that in the wild they bite cattle on the leg then follow them untill they die, but don't know if that is true.

they carry so much bacteria in their saliva that their MO is to bite something and then track it until it literally dies from blood poisioning. their shit is also loaded with samonellia and traces of that will make you very ill if you get that in you. the tail is a very effective whip

ive raised iguanas to 6 foot plus and got scars from doing so but you wont catch me messing with these mo-fos, id just catch and release it.

Oh, so they do not bark but howl.... wonderful!

I certainly know a lot about being a neighbour to dog owners, and the way they believe their loved ones can do no wrong.

These do not seem to be suited to a Thai climate.

Edited by jacko45k

ours likes nothing better than a few quiet hrs.on his own,in his air con.room,after his dinner,4veg,chicken breast,beef fillet,and smart heart beef steak biscuits.

doesnt bark,only when there is danger,likes a little howl when some noisy bird or dog comes near,as he say's i live here so woof off.

7pm.its off to bed,[our bed aswell] air con on and thats it till 6am.then its out for his early morning walk,back for breakfast of mixed biscuit and asia sea bass.

so jacko45k if you want a dogs life rather than being bored on your own all day,get yourself a hound.

OUR BEST FREINDS.

No, not for me, I have quieter critters around me.

More effort than a child and would restrict me somewhat.

I am glad yours makes you so happy.... I have a wife.

Beautiful dogs. I had one growing up in the USA (Rhode Island). I am a bit surprised you have them in Thailand. They really are outdoor dogs that prefer a lot of exercise. As for the lizard, I enjoyed when I was at the Dusit Zoo in Bangkok. Sitting on one of the benches there are lots of pretty large Green Monitor lizards just hanging around

I certainly know a lot about being a neighbour to dog owners, and the way they believe their loved ones can do no wrong.

biggrin.png Wow, you do have a way of turning words around, howling instead of barking. Even though it is clearly stated that both instances are extremely rare.

And let me see, you have visions of huskies pulling sleds through the snow so they wouldn't be suited for this climate, right? Any idea about the maximum temperatures in Siberia is in summer? Any idea of how a double coat works on an animal?

Ground seems to be well baited but I won't bite, only nibble.......................wink.png

I had one in the states that we raised from a pup and I swear she Never barked. A few squeaks and growls when she was excited and hopping around when I would come home, but never ever heard her bark. She loved the water. She would catch and eat anything she could get her teeth on. She would come home carrying and then playing with and licking dead rabbits, a rat or two from the nearby golf course, would chase the cats but never seemed to catch one. One day she came around the corner carrying a long dead skunk carcass! Her tail was never higher or wagging more strongly as she brought home the gift for us! She hardly ever slept in the house at night. She was quite content to be on the lawn outside the steps, curled up into that little ball they do with the tail wrapped up around the nose. In the winter she still liked the outside except the rainy sleety days. Fun to take her out to a field and throw a rock in the air that she didn't see but when it hit the ground she would turn around and jump up and slam her front paws down just like you see wild videos of foxes and coyotes and wolved as they think they hear something under the snow and try to break through it. We let her go through heat for once and man, she must have been extra cute to not just humans but every roaming dog in the neighborhood! I never saw so many mutts hanging out side our house. Back then we knew the neighborhood (1975) and who lived where but I didn't know any of these dogs. Her scent must have been crazy strong and lured them in from at least one mile away.

biggrin.png Wow, you do have a way of turning words around, howling instead of barking. Even though it is clearly stated that both instances are extremely rare.

And let me see, you have visions of huskies pulling sleds through the snow so they wouldn't be suited for this climate, right? Any idea about the maximum temperatures in Siberia is in summer? Any idea of how a double coat works on an animal?

Ground seems to be well baited but I won't bite, only nibble.......................wink.png

Yet they need air-conditioning all day?

I saw a neighbours dog slowly deteriorate and die with skin issues and breathing difficulties, it was a bulldog breed, so I worry about particular breeds here. I am sure yours need some effort with the long hair double coat etc.

Good luck with them.

Yet they need air-conditioning all day?

I saw a neighbours dog slowly deteriorate and die with skin issues and breathing difficulties, it was a bulldog breed, so I worry about particular breeds here. I am sure yours need some effort with the long hair double coat etc.

Good luck with them.

biggrin.png Again, maybe i wrote it wrong; yes, they do have an air-conned room but it isn't on all day.

Your point about your neighbour's dog is noted, and i couldn't agree more that too much TLC in the form of cooling can/is extremely dangerous for any animal in these sort of climates. Even humans, especially the ones who can't seem to acclimatize because they are continually in air-con unless outside ................thumbsup.gif

Their coats work both ways, insulating from both heat and cold, and the only skin complaints (scratching) i have seen usually comes from the undercoat not being properly dried after swimming but doesn't last long or persist.

Anyway, drifting slightly off course from the OP, but thanks for the comments.................wink.png

OUR BEST FREINDS.

glad you have a wife,mine has been with me over 26yrs.but look at it this way, j

does the wifes family come to visit. A DOGS DONT.

does she moan when you come home late[pissed] A DOG WONT.HE WILL WAG HIS TAIL

and if she left you,she would take over half your frigging stuff.THE DOG WOULDNT.

so my wife and my dog makes me HAPPY who do i love most NOT TELLING.

They Have just found out that Monitor lizards have venom in their bite similar to snakes, Yes bacteria plays apart, but its the poison that kills,

Your post made me ask doctor G. While partially true, monitor lizard poison is not fatal or harmful to humans.

http://www.earthsfriends.com/monitor-lizards/

so your saying being bit by a 200.300 kilo Monitor lizard is not that hazardous then. It helps kill the victim thats been bitten they follow and wait for the victim to die.

Edited by Thongkorn

They Have just found out that Monitor lizards have venom in their bite similar to snakes, Yes bacteria plays apart, but its the poison that kills,

Your post made me ask doctor G. While partially true, monitor lizard poison is not fatal or harmful to humans.

http://www.earthsfriends.com/monitor-lizards/

so your saying being bit by a 200.300 kilo Monitor lizard is not that hazardous then. It helps kill the victim thats been bitten they follow and wait for the victim to die.

Hahah typical TV response when confronted with evidence and truth.

That lizard is mental. I wouldn't go near it without a suit of armour and a holy medal from Francis himself. Raised a protestant, I still think only the universal church can help when confronted with something that horrendous.

No wonder the Thais keep dogs. Dogs are basically furry radar. Long before you've any inkling that there's anything there a dog's gone nuts.

I'll never live in the boondocks. F. Spencer Chapman's book "The Jungle is Neutral" has a cobra on the cover. It should have been called, "The Jungle Hates You All Equally".

Edited by Craig krup

OUR BEST FREINDS.

glad you have a wife,mine has been with me over 26yrs.but look at it this way, j

does the wifes family come to visit. A DOGS DONT.

does she moan when you come home late[pissed] A DOG WONT.HE WILL WAG HIS TAIL

and if she left you,she would take over half your frigging stuff.THE DOG WOULDNT.

so my wife and my dog makes me HAPPY who do i love most NOT TELLING.

I doubt your dog will come pick you up from a night out or make you dinner.

Although little presents around the garden must be nice.

Years ago sitting on the balcony of a bungalow in Langkawi I was staying at, peacefully reading my book and sipping my Jim Beam, couple strolling past "wow that's big, is it tame?" Err, what's tame me thinks, follow the direction of their gaze to beneath my chair. Never knew I could move so fast, think the couple realized by then it was not a household pet. Over 2 metres because could later estimate it's length by it's position on the balcony. Apparently I was not the only fast mover that night, never saw the lizard or the couple again.