Another Thailand Elite Question...

I have a Thai Work Permit/Visa extension for 8 years through a Thai Ltd (which I co-own). The annual visa extension & work permit is becoming a lot of hassle. In the past, I did not even have to go to the immigration office. Everything was done by my lawyer.

However, I have been told this time, immigration wants to interview all the staff & also wants pictures of me with the staff & so on. These days I do not spend much time in Thailand even. I maintain the work permit purely for the sake of convenience.

In the past, I used to play an active role in the co. However, these days (for the 2-3 years) the business runs pretty much on its own.

I am thinking of switching to the Thailand Elite Card. Is it OK to be a share holder in a Thai Ltd. & be on the Elite visa? I do not sign any documents on behalf of the co. I don't really 'work' for the co. I do not go to the office even, etc.

How will taxes work? I assume, I will still file annual taxes & declare the dividends received from the Thai Co.?

Also, is it easy to open bank accounts, obtain credit card, etc with the Elite card. I already have several Thai bank accounts & 3-4 Thai credit cards. I do not think I will be needing any more in the near future. However, it would still be good to have an option. I assume switching the visa won't have any impact on the existing accounts & credit cards.

Also, I would like to know if I can still apply for Schengen visa, USA visa, Other visa from Thailand. All foreign embassies ask for a proof of residency from a foreign national based in Thailand. In the past, it has always been my work permit & the re-entry visa. However, I am not sure if elite card will work. Technically, its just a tourist visa. However, if I spend a significant amount of time in Thailand, I am a resident (at least for tax purpose).

Thanks in advance.

As long as you are not involved in the day to day activities of the company I see no reason you could not do what you are doing now on the elite visa.

Same for paying taxes on the income earned here.

No problem to open bank accounts.

Since the visa allows a one year entry and you can show your entry stamps and the amount of time spent here I can see no reason you should have a problem getting visas.

Thank you very much for the replies. A few more questions -

1. Is it OK to go to the office for a quick meeting, coffee, print out, etc (once or twice a month) or is that an absolute no no?

2. I am considering the 500 K easy access program. Is it possible to show the 500 K as a business expense & let my Thai Co. pay for it & save on some taxes (annual) or will that be pushing it a bit too far. Has anyone done this?

3. Rick, have you applied for a Schengen visa in Thailand on an Elite visa? Did you apply for a business visa or any other? What documents did you have to supply? Which embassy did you apply at? Did you show the income from the Thai Co. (to support your application)? If yes, does a usual Co./personal bank statement suffice or you have to provide any other documents.

Thanks in advance.

The Thai Elite Visa is not a substitute for a work permit. If Thai immigration thinks you are "working" in Thailand ... which you seem to be doing, albeit only a little ... then you must have a work permit.

BTW, what are you paying Thai taxes on? If it's for money earned in Thailand, then you're working in Thailand.

You emphasize how little you work, talk about only going to office twice a month, etc. It's not about how little you work, it's about if you work at all. If you work you need a work visa ... or you need to work illegally and under the Thai immigration radar.

Edited by HerbalEd

I have just renewed the company work permit. seems to get more strange every year. this year no westerners were allowed in the shop. god knows what they were doing for half an hour with my thai staff. seems elite visa may make things easier, would be interested to hear how work permits go on that visa. I have thai kids and have been chasing a non im O visa which it seems is difficult to make in Thailand especially as I am not married with their mum. off to nz, seems pretty straight forward to get it there and only 250nzd per year.

The Thai Elite Visa is not a substitute for a work permit. If Thai immigration thinks you are "working" in Thailand ... which you seem to be doing, albeit only a little ... then you must have a work permit.

BTW, what are you paying Thai taxes on? If it's for money earned in Thailand, then you're working in Thailand.

You emphasize how little you work, talk about only going to office twice a month, etc. It's not about how little you work, it's about if you work at all. If you work you need a work visa ... or you need to work illegally and under the Thai immigration radar.

I have been paying tax on 60 000thb per month income. not sure what that is based on but it varies depending on what passport you are on. you can be making no income but still have to pay tax if you have a work permit weather you are actually working or not. if you don't do anything that can be proven as work then forget the work permit, more cost and hassle than it is worth. I wish I could give mine up. just avoid signing anything or doing activities that can be photographed as doing work.

Thanks for your answer. Currently, I do hold a Thai work permit. However, off late, I do not spend much time in Thailand. This year, till now, I have been in Thailand for 30-40 days max (in the whole of 2015). Currently, I am in China.

For a work permit, I need to pay myself a salary. I have been paying taxes on that. Also, the business/company has to do monthly/annual taxes and so on. Also, one needs to pay taxes on any dividends received from the Co. (if any).

BTW, I am just a co-owner. I am not the MD of the Thai Co. Hence, I do not sign any sign documents on behalf of the Co. The reason why I mentioned that I might wanna go to office once or twice a month (when I am in Bangkok) is that the office is a nice building with a cool view of Bangkok. I do not really work there as such. I could probably not go there at all & it will still be OK.

I could probably switch to Tourist Visas (spending as little time as I do in Thailand). However, I can't be bothered to apply for visas every time (with this massive crack down in place).

I am thinking my situation is more analogous to some one holding shares of any Thai co. I do not think one needs to have a work permit to hold shares in PTT for example.

I will still be paying taxes in Thailand on the dividends received from the Thai Co. (just like I do for holding shares in any other listed Co. on the SET).

That said, I wanna be absolutely sure. Maintaining a Thai work permit costs as much as an Elite visa. I just wanna switch to the Elite visa for the sake of convenience & all the privileges associated with it.

Thanks.

Thanks for your answer. Currently, I do hold a Thai work permit. However, off late, I do not spend much time in Thailand. This year, till now, I have been in Thailand for 30-40 days max (in the whole of 2015). Currently, I am in China.

For a work permit, I need to pay myself a salary. I have been paying taxes on that. Also, the business/company has to do monthly/annual taxes and so on. Also, one needs to pay taxes on any dividends received from the Co. (if any).

BTW, I am just a co-owner. I am not the MD of the Thai Co. Hence, I do not sign any sign documents on behalf of the Co. The reason why I mentioned that I might wanna go to office once or twice a month (when I am in Bangkok) is that the office is a nice building with a cool view of Bangkok. I do not really work there as such. I could probably not go there at all & it will still be OK.

I could probably switch to Tourist Visas (spending as little time as I do in Thailand). However, I can't be bothered to apply for visas every time (with this massive crack down in place).

I am thinking my situation is more analogous to some one holding shares of any Thai co. I do not think one needs to have a work permit to hold shares in PTT for example.

I will still be paying taxes in Thailand on the dividends received from the Thai Co. (just like I do for holding shares in any other listed Co. on the SET).

That said, I wanna be absolutely sure. Maintaining a Thai work permit costs as much as an Elite visa. I just wanna switch to the Elite visa for the sake of convenience & all the privileges associated with it.

Thanks.

" Maintaining a Thai work permit costs as much as an Elite visa."

Really ?

Where do you obtain such an expensive Work permit ?

Thanks.

Really ?

I think he explained it. It is.not solely the cost of the work permit.

Having to pay himself a monthly salary of 50k baht plus taxes to get an extension of stay that is needed to keep the work permit adds up to a a lot by itself.. That comes from the company profits which he gets part of.

I have just renewed the company work permit. seems to get more strange every year. this year no westerners were allowed in the shop. god knows what they were doing for half an hour with my thai staff. seems elite visa may make things easier, would be interested to hear how work permits go on that visa. I have thai kids and have been chasing a non im O visa which it seems is difficult to make in Thailand especially as I am not married with their mum. off to nz, seems pretty straight forward to get it there and only 250nzd per year.

From the documentation I've received it says that you need to get a B visa and a work permit in the normal way, but they strongly recommend that Thailand Elite handle all communications with the Thai government via the concierge service. This suggests to me that they can get things done as they really know what they're doing.

This is a scan of the relevant page from the book they gave me after I signed up, it might be useful for people considering their options.

post-44895-0-23574000-1447062412_thumb.j

From the documentation I've received it says that you need to get a B visa and a work permit in the normal way, but they strongly recommend that Thailand Elite handle all communications with the Thai government via the concierge service. This suggests to me that they can get things done as they really know what they're doing.

This is a scan of the relevant page from the book they gave me after I signed up, it might be useful for people considering their options.

attachicon.gifthailand-elite-book-page-16.JPG

really. you get an elite visa then you still need to get a non im B as well? seems crazy and pointless to be getting 2 visas just to get the work permit. seems the non im O based on marriage or supporting children is the best if possible. still a head ache and expensive and difficult but no way i would pay for an elite then a non im B. i don't get it iwould need 2 visas?

I have been paying tax on 60 000thb per month income. not sure what that is based on but it varies depending on what passport you are on. you can be making no income but still have to pay tax if you have a work permit weather you are actually working or not. if you don't do anything that can be proven as work then forget the work permit, more cost and hassle than it is worth. I wish I could give mine up. just avoid signing anything or doing activities that can be photographed as doing work.

How much tax does someone pay on zero income? Never heard of this and doesn't make sense.

Thanks.

Really ?

by the time you pay for a 3 then 12 month visas then company tax, tax on 4 thai staff (not to mention paying often un necessary thai staff), then salary tax, then accounting i would say this is more than the elite visa but of course it sounds like you still need a non im visa and work permit so what is the point of getting the elite visa in the first place?

How much tax does someone pay on zero income? Never heard of this and doesn't make sense.

i have an Australian passport so the labor office says i earn 60 000thb per month (some countries are more some less) even when my business is closed when i take a break in low season and i have zero income i still pay salary tax. PM me and i can give you my accountants contacts and she will explain it to you.

Seems a shame to pay so much money for an Elite Visa if you're in Thailand so little time. However, as someone who has an Elite Visa, I must say it makes traveling in and out of Thailand so much easier than the alternatives. So if you can easily afford the Elite Visa, I highly recommend it.

Thanks.

Really ?

by the time you pay for a 3 then 12 month visas then company tax, tax on 4 thai staff (not to mention paying often un necessary thai staff), then salary tax, then accounting i would say this is more than the elite visa but of course it sounds like you still need a non im visa and work permit so what is the point of getting the elite visa in the first place?

Just for your information I require neither a WP nor a "non im"(sic) visa but to suggest a WP costs as much as an Elite Visa is misleading nonsense.

Edited by oncearugge

elite is 100 000thb per year. my current visa and work permit expenses far exceed this. not sure how you don't understand that. have you had a work permit before?

Thanks.

Really ?

Just for your information I require neither a WP nor a "non im"(sic) visa but to suggest a WP costs as much as an Elite Visa is misleading nonsense.

Thanks.

Really ?

not misleading champ. elite visa is only 100 000thb per year. visas (you need first 3 month then one year) plus setting up work permit, accounting, 3 lots of tax and so on far exceeds this.

not misleading champ. elite visa is only 100 000thb per year. visas (you need first 3 month then one year) plus setting up work permit, accounting, 3 lots of tax and so on far exceeds this.

This sounds right to me. If you are willing to do all the paperwork and legwork to apply for a work permit yourself, and get a little creative over the Thai employees, you could probably do it for less. However, I always wanted it all to happen with as little fuss as possible. Legal and accounting services mount up, not to mention your own tax and that of (possibly unneeded) Thai employees.

If one happens to be a US citizen, there are cheaper options under the Treaty of Amity, but otherwise the Thailand Elite option looks pretty attractive.

Really ?

I know someone who told me he's been paying a total of around 250k a year to maintain a company including the associated costs for Thai employees, lawyers, accountants, tax, etc.

He once used this company to work in Thailand. He said now he's not working any more he's probably going to go for one of the TE visas.

I believe the 250k amount also included the costs for his office space.

Yup. 100 K/year is not that much. The cost of the annual extension, multiple re-entry permit, lawyer fees & taxes adds up. Add to it the extra headache.

In the past, I had to never go to immigration personally. Last year, I had to go there for the first time to just get a stupid picture taken on the computer. This year they seem to have added extra requirements.

Also, I need to ensure that I am in Thailand around the time of the extension. Moreover, these days they always seem to give a 30 day consideration stamp & I need to be either stuck in Thailand for 30 days or purchase an extra re-entry permit & be back in Thailand within 30 days to get the annual extension stamp. For me, it seems like a lot of hassle I could avoid.

That said, I do feel at home in Thailand & have a connection with the place. I came here at the age of 25 (with 500 USD in my pocket). I am 36 now. I have been quite successful here. I can now speak, read & type Thai. Although, I do spend more time outside of Thailand these days, I do wanna maintain Thailand as my home base. Hence, the elite visa.

I wish I had applied for PR when I was working for other companies & paying taxes on a salary of 150 K + THB/month. However, these days I just pay myself the minimum possible salary required by law. I do not think that will cut it for PR + the long waiting periods n so on.

The other option I thought of was to get a Phd from a Thai Uni. I already have 2 Masters degrees. A Phd from AU, Chula, etc costs around 500-700 K total. I guess even a Phd from Thailand can be useful :)

• Like 1

Totally agree that the hassle is becoming impossible.

I still don't have to do the paperwork myself but hate officials more and more.

I feel like the ones who are not legit have so much less problems than us !

Thai elite might be the solution not to ever have to speak with any of the retarded who are supposed to be happy that we bring millions revenues to the country.

Everytime I read that someone overstayed or cheated for years then cleared his situation by just leaving and coming back I AM SO HAPPY FOR HIM ! and for me, because I feel like he revenged some of the hassle that I have to face for being all legit. Thank you guys !

Everytime I read that someone overstayed or cheated for years then cleared his situation by just leaving and coming back I AM SO HAPPY FOR HIM !

Conclusion: Overstayers are still welcome. Overstay 2, 3, 5 even 9 Years. Pay 20k and you'r fine. What a farce.

Thai elite might be the solution not to ever have to speak with any of the retarded who are supposed to be happy that we bring millions revenues to the country.

I'm now into the 14th month of my 5-year Thai Elite visa. I'm not yet old enough to qualify for a retirement visa.

When I am old enough to qualify for a retirement visa, I may well stick with the Thai Elite visa just in order to avoid all the bureaucratic horror stories I read about here.

That's assuming the program is still up and running and the visas are still honored, of course. So far, so good - but This Is Thailand, and anything can happen, given the erratic nature of governance.

elite seems pretty good to me for singles/no thai kids and under 50years. 100 000thb per years seems fair. think the system has been running more than 10 years already. I am going for a non im O this year when I do my annual trip to nz. have been quoted 250nzd for a year. seems almost too good to be true.

Yes. I wish they made life easier for people who have been here many years, followed all the rules, paid taxes, created many local jobs, generate foreign exchange (most of my company's income is from exports), etc. However, we are all same same to the Thai authorities.

I guess if I was doing it all over again, I might start a new venture using a BOI co. (with its tax holidays & so on). However, the current economic climate is keeping me away from doing that (at least for now). For now, I feel there are better opportunities elsewhere. Myanmar, India, China all seem more promising.

I think its time to apply for an Elite card then. Thank you very much all your help/inputs.

To get issued a Work Permit you must have a salary of at least 50,000 baht per month (60,000 for some passports perhaps).

I am starting a Thai company and in the startup phase I can't afford to pay myself 50,000 baht a month, but I will have to say I am to get the Work Permit.

Because I am supposed to be getting at least 50,000 baht a month that is how much I will be taxed on.

Hope that makes sense to you.

• Like 1

To get issued a Work Permit you must have a salary of at least 50,000 baht per month (60,000 for some passports perhaps).

I am starting a Thai company and in the startup phase I can't afford to pay myself 50,000 baht a month, but I will have to say I am to get the Work Permit.

Because I am supposed to be getting at least 50,000 baht a month that is how much I will be taxed on.

Hope that makes sense to you.

There is no minimum salary requirement to get a work permit.

There is only a salary requirement to get a one year extension of stay at immigration. The 50k number is the highest one.. The others for some nationalities is less.

• Like 1

Thanks.

Really ?

To be completely literal and purist, work permit fees are 3,100 baht a year.

In reality that's one of the cheapest things you or the company will pay for in order to produce the relevant documents and receipts to enable a work permit application and a 1 year extension of stay to succeed.

With a salary of 100k a month your annual income tax payments will exceed 100k alone. The difference though is that if you are really working for a profitable company that's the way it is. If you are not working much (shareholder/co owner) then the Elite visa is going to be cheaper - as long as you can do any necessary work without a work permit.

One such method is to sign any documents outside of Thailand. With FedEx, etc this is viable.

For people who run ghost companies which (don't really) employ 4 Thai staff; pay minimum social security; pay minimum income tax; declare profits less than the taxable threshold and run their office from their phone it may be getting a little more difficult.