Thailand's Labour Ministry cracks down on foreign models working without work permits

webfact

Thailand’s Labour Ministry Cracks Down on Foreign Models Working without Work Permits

BANGKOK – Thailand’s Labor Ministry’s Employment Department and the Thai Modelling Industry and Agencies Association have joined in campaign against the hiring of foreign models without a work permits.

Director-general of the Employment Department, Arak Prommanee, told the Bangkok Post many male and female models entered Thailand on a tourist visa but obtained work as models for various products without work permits.

Many modelling firms in Thailand liked to hire them, he said, adding that some models were paid as much as 50,000 baht an hour without paying tax.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-labour-ministry-cracks-down-on-foreign-models-working-without-work-permits.html

-- CHIANGRAI TIMES 2015-11-09

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about just make it easier to hire them legally?

Clearly the fashion business (which i assume is why the model are here) being a global business requires models from around the globe for marketing and advertising purposes.

So rather than get all flustered stop with the patriotic filibustering and listen to what your companies need, in this instance - a flexible pool of foreign models, and make it easy for them to be employed quickly, efficiently and legally. So your companies can be more successful globally.

But really important issues, like road deaths. Are very rarely mentioned. True Thainess!

Standby as there'll be a crackdown on that also...the plan is to ensure the blood and carnage is cleaned-up much faster to minimize the ensuing traffic jam.

Clearly the fashion business (which i assume is why the model are here) being a global business requires models from around the globe for marketing and advertising purposes.

So rather than get all flustered stop with the patriotic filibustering and listen to what your companies need, in this instance - a flexible pool of foreign models, and make it easy for them to be employed quickly, efficiently and legally. So your companies can be more successful globally.

And ensure they are employed through the same processes (WP and correct visa) as any other people. Why should they be treated differently?

Notice to all foreign models... should you will need a shelter from the bad Thai government people,

call me and I will rescue you immediately, we will discus later what you can do for me in return....

You mean the ones that look like they would break your legs for 500Baht?

It already exists. There's a 15-day emergency work permit available, but no employers utilize the easy process.

Foreign model? Who needs them, Thai women are the most beautiful, stunning, gorgeous women in the world. You don't have to search long to find a beauty in Thailand. Perfect in everyway.

True but most are too short and they prefer white skinned models.

Does this apply to Foreign actors too?,now just say a foreigner is needed in a Thai soapy and non available due to no work permit they could just get a Thai to act as the foreigner and paint there face white and have a caption above stating this is a falang, do away with employing anyone who is not Thai.

Thailand can't find enough white Thai people to market their products to Thais. When I watch TV or look at the huge billboards in Bangkok, it's like I am looking at another country. At some point some companies will say this is crazy and start using multi colored Thai models in their ads. It happened in the US a long time ago. By the way, the word Siam in Sanskrit means dark or brown.

Foreign model? Who needs them, Thai women are the most beautiful, stunning, gorgeous women in the world. You don't have to search long to find a beauty in Thailand. Perfect in everyway.

Rather myopic view.

What about the male models? Unless of course if you hold the same view of Thai men as you do of its women "beautiful, stunning and gorgeous ...and.. perfect in every way"?

Edited by jonclark

It already exists. There's a 15-day emergency work permit available, but no employers utilize the easy process.

TBH I had no idea that it existed.

And ensure they are employed through the same processes (WP and correct visa) as any other people. Why should they be treated differently?

because the work is different. The Thai work permit process was designed by myopic public servants for foreigners in typical ongoing employment. Not for one off jobs.

Even international musicians know months in advance and thai promoters can prepare the correct document beforehand. However, many models only know of a job 2 or 3 days before, how is that enough time to get a work permit?