2 year visa extension

Guys,

I need your help. I'm going to renew my visa and work permit at the end of the year. This is the 4th renewal and my current visa is under IEAT.

I was told that it is not possible to renew the visa for 2 years and that everybody is allowed to renew only for 1 year each time. Is this possible or my lawyer is b@@@ing me to get me paying the service every year?

Thanks a lot,

Frank

Please be more precise about your visa. Is it a visa or an extension of stay for example?

EDIT: Ubon Joe will put you right. Can someone tell me what IEAT is? And what's this about a 2 year extension of stay?

Edited by Slip

For a new visa, go to a Thai consulate.

For a new one-year extension of stay, go to your local immigration office. An extension of stay for the reason of employment cannot be for a period longer than one year.

Many employers handle the work for the extensions of their expatriates and the foreigner only has to trundle along to immigration to show his face. If you have to do it all on your own, it should not be necessary to use a lawyer every time, as the paperwork is the same from year to year and your employer should know by now what is needed. Do you have a copy of everything that was submitted to immigration last time?

Your employer, IEAT, seems to be a government agency. Check with your immigration office whether this qualifies you for a two-year extension.

Thai American Amity Companies should be eligible for a 2 year extensions also, Why Thai's owning a Thai American Amity Treaty in America get multi year visas and work permit. Under the treaty things are supposed to be equal in both countries.

Has anyone ever checked? Lawyers don't count as they always say no to everything. I will make inquiries to the U.S. State Department. Thailand needs to start living up to the provisions of the Treaty.