How would you rate the new MG3 ?

walkingstreet

Having owned a series of REAL MGs when I was young, I would not contemplate getting in one of these things.

What a crying shame to besmirch the good name, of an Iconic BREED of cars?

I saw a couple of these Imposters on display recently, at Big C, Hangdong and they looked like heaps of .... well you know what!

Edited by Torrens54

Having owned a series of REAL MGs when I was young, I would not contemplate getting in one of these things.

I saw a couple of these Imposters on display recently, at Big C, Hangdong and they looked like heaps of .... well you know what!

Yes I agree.

I have an MGA 1600 Mk 1 coupe.

sitting at home in the garage. A real sports car.

aussiep.....

Jeremy Clarkson is right - Top Gear - Series 18.

Clarkson does not often give a rating of one star in a car review, but he does for the MG6 review. Here is his review:

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/the-clarkson-review-mg6-magnette/

Mind you, this is for the MG6, which is a couple of classes up from the MG3.

Of course it is cheap in Thailand. You are buying a bunch of cheap Chinese parts assembled in Thailand by CP. I am confident that CP know quite a bit about growing chickens and importing them from China, but building an automotive assembly plant here and then producing cars from Chinese parts? The result cannot possibly be better than the abysmal quality coming out of MG's UK plant.

Having owned an MGB back in the day, I am really saddened to see such an abomination wearing the classic MG badge. Or as Clarkson says in his review:

"It may say MG on the rump but it is as far removed from its predecessors as you are from an amoeba. It’s a carrier bag with a Coco Chanel badge. And I think that’s rotten."

Yes and as someone earlier had mentioned interior fitting, I enjoyed this quote:

It’s a widely held belief that mass- produced plastic was developed around the turn of last century. Well, the dashboard on the MG6 appears to be fabricated from a plastic that pre-dates that. I think it may follow a recipe laid down in the Middle Ages, when villagers would use cattle horns to make rudimentary windows.

These things insult the memory of REAL MGs (of which I have owned 4 in my time). As for claiming British sport heritage. PHOOOEY!

Edited by Farang99

Do sometimes wonder about these statements of Real MG's..

so are the

MG Maestro

MG 1100/1300

MG Metro

MG 25

MG 45

MG 75

Real MG cars ? Last proper MG was 1980, MG Sports cars ended in 1970, all the newer MG's are re-badge models

So the Chinese MG models are more in keeping with these last UK MG's, not the 50's and 60's sports cars..

The Rover 75, looks not bad, built in China now called the 'Roewe 750'.......... there again the 'Land Wind' looks good and cost a fraction of the price

If you want to compare a sports car maybe better to wait for the new Chinese MG Roadster

I think Clarkson also said "It does everything a car is supposed to do except none of it very well."

Also

For:
Low price, low insurance group, stylish and spacious
Against:
Mediocre engine, low-rent cabin, poor economy

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mg/mg3

In UK the low insurance seems to be the selling point?

Edited by VocalNeal

Loved my MGB GT to bits, my only regret is I didn't buy the MGC version for the bigger more powerful engine. The present design on the MG does not stand up to the MG reputation and gets lost amongst a plethora of mini look-a-likes. So sad!

sad.png

Loved my MGB GT to bits, my only regret is I didn't buy the MGC version for the bigger more powerful engine. The present design on the MG does not stand up to the MG reputation and gets lost amongst a plethora of mini look-a-likes. So sad!

sad.png

Old MG

post-42643-0-52370500-1447223402_thumb.j

the replacement

New MG here in Bangkok

post-42643-0-87187200-1447223472_thumb.j

Last proper MG was 1980,

But the best MG is made now.

motorpunk-frontline-development-mgb-abin

Frontline Developments Abingdon Edition MGB

That's as maybe but fail to see the logic comparing at 2015 Frontline Developments Abingdon Edition MGB FROM £80,000 to a MG3 From £8,000...

The OP asked How would you rate the MG3 ?... to me an improvement over the old MG Metro

OR save a bit and buy a Toyota Yaris or Suzuki Swift......... add a bit and buy a Honda Jazz or Mazda 2

Last proper MG was 1980,

But the best MG is made now.

motorpunk-frontline-development-mgb-abin

Frontline Developments Abingdon Edition MGB

That's as maybe but fail to see the logic comparing at 2015 Frontline Developments Abingdon Edition MGB FROM £80,000 to a MG3 From £8,000...

The OP asked How would you rate the MG3 ?... to me an improvement over the old MG Metro

OR save a bit and buy a Toyota Yaris or Suzuki Swift......... add a bit and buy a Honda Jazz or Mazda 2

Except for Jazz, rest are all Eco.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app