Looking for a good tailor

Hal65

If he is of Indian extraction & wears a turban, the odds are well in your favour.

Just remember that variety & quality of cloth is vital.

He will do a measure but the rest is sub-contracted outside.

BTW, tailors as described above ie a Sikh are extremely honest in their dealings.

Edited by fang37

Those turban guys can't sew a single threat they are just salesmen who outsource everything to big sewing factories and make 70-90% profit. Most of them are crooks who lie about the quality and origin of fabrics. They appear honest because they are very polite and can speak good English but are sneaky as hell.

If he is of Indian extraction & wears a turban, the odds are well in your favour.

BTW, tailors as described above ie a Sikh are extremely honest in their dealings.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Those turban guys can't sew a single threat they are just salesmen who outsource everything to big sewing factories and make 70-90% profit. Most of them are crooks who lie about the quality and origin of fabrics. They appear honest because they are very polite and can speak good English but are sneaky as hell.

If you read the post (VERY SLOWLY), you will note the 3rd line -" sub-contract outside".

So do most tailors worldwide!

Origin & quality of fabric - you have the expertise to detect such???? Yes, there is an element of trust.

They are polite & speak good English - a crime? So you would rather a tailor who can speak YOUR language? Arabic? Nigerian?

"SNEAKY" - would you care to provide evidence re this?

Please describe your experience re getting tailor-made clothes made.

I already have.

Ts' question was a recommendation for a good tailor. If you know a specific one who provides high quality, full guarantee and is honest why not mention him here. Many of those friendly turbans are sleazy salesmen, tourists are being asked what date they leave and deliver as late as possible so they won't come back with their fitting problems etc.

I have my own sewing lady on the market who makes everything for me and it cost a fraction of the commercial tailors. It's not in Pattaya but Chiangmai.

I always recommend "AMA fashion" on corner second road / central pattaya road (pattaya klang). Never had any issues there.

Take your time, chose the quality and be ready to go there 2-3 times for fitting until your suit / shirts really fit!

What I also like is that they only take small deposits on your order, unlike shops I have seen that want 50-100% pre-payment and will tell you "wonderful fit" on your next visit, while your suit hangs on you like a potato sack...

Lots of good advice here on what to look for and expect of Indian / Thai tailors in Pattaya. For those people whose size dictates, they have no choice but to take the route of the made to measure option, Thailand is one of the best countries for this type of expertise.

But, if you are able to fit into "Stock Sizes" in my opinion, the brand name, computer designed, cut and stitched clothes are far superior.

• Like 1

A number of years ago, a British friend and I tried selling locally (Pattaya) made overcoats in the UK via E-bay. What we eventually discovered was there is extensive cross-ownership of most Pattaya tailor shops; different members of large, extended Indian families. One tailor shop will use any number of wholesale suppliers to make whatever you order depending on what you order. Quality from a single shop can vary widely depending on who actually does the work and the material they have on hand often does not exactly match the material you viewed in the shop. One time we ordered 40 overcoats, same material and style in a variety of sizes. What we got was all over the place...different materials, cut, wide variations within sizes, ect. It was a mess and not long after, we got out of the business.

Most of the workers/sales people you will see are usually Bangladeshi, not Indians. They work much cheaper.

As a general rule, established shops in upmarket hotels are more likely to provide better quality garments but don't expect bargain prices.

So what should we pay for a suit? a shirt?

Had a suit made up genuine silk cashmire. I checked the edge of the fabric.

Looks great . Wore it once and got told I look like a gangster. 555.

Cost to get dry cleaned for jacket and pants $28 . That was a wild night.

I can't help but think that Mr Turban saw a sucker.

I used to go to a tailors at the far end of Walking St.

Went there for 21 years then he retired and his sons took over.

The standard dropped by 70% and they were rude

Still looking for a good tailor who makes clothes as YOU want them not the way they think that they should be made

IE. As cheap as possible,

Farangs will accept any rubbish.

Well not this farang.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

In the past I used AMA they're nice enough people, didn't have many issues with their clothes, but they send out for the making

For the past couple of years I have been using "O" Tailor behind Tuk.com

They make on the premises so could make adjustments immediately

Great finish on every item I have had from them

I seem to remember suits were about B5,000 made exactly to my requirement

I'm very particular about dress

Edited by DD13
Addition