How do you feel about Pattaya restaurants that won't serve ladyboys?

Jingthing

Stating the opinion that ALL ladyboys are hookers just demonstrates the bias and prejudice of the holder of said opinion.

There are thousands of ladyboys who are not hookers in Bangkok and in Thailand.

Ladyboys who commit crimes against their customers are highly publicised by the (loosely called) press as it confirms people's prejudice.

If you imagine that female hookers do not rob customers, take yabba or push people off of balconies you must be terminally, iredeemably naive.

Bars and restaurants like Gullivers on Kao San road (not defamation, it is their policy and therefore open to comment) are just exacerbating prejudice.

I believe the reason they do this is, in part because when ladyboys are in the vicinity of drunken bigots, said bigots make remarks, threaten or curse at them. Of course, if a ladyboy offers her services as a hooker one has the right to say 'no thanks' but so often I have seen misplaced (insecure) macho aggression against a ladyboy by some alcoholic ex pat with a huge belly who should count himself lucky to get any attention at all. In response to said aggression or remark, ladyboys often respond in kind whereas puyings do not. Ladyboys will not often allow themselves to be intimidated.

Of course there are some bad eggs amongst them but so are there amongst female hookers (who are permitted entry).

They cannot ban all hookers because they cannot prove it so they choose the easy target instead. Interestingly Gullivers in Sukhumvit has no such policy. Prejudice fueled I think . . . .

Thailand is not a "politically correct" country and blatant racism is the norm. If the owner of a business chooses to exclude a selected group of people based on racism or sexuality, he can and I do know of instances where this is the case. It's impractical to apply western standards while in the Far East, perhaps particularly whilst in Thailand.

The restaurants and late night venues that don't permit ladyboys to enter do so for a reason. That reason is in all likelihood based on bitter past experience with a minority from within that group. I have seen some places that have a notice, in Thai, outside with words to the effect ... Thai men are not allowed to enter ... It's not quite as blatant as banning ladyboys, and it's in place to protect the well being and enjoyment of the vast majority of paying customers .... I don't hold it against them, I could well consider it to be to my advantage.

I think people running privately held businesses that do not do business with the government ought to be able to refuse service to anyone they please.

You may 'think' this, but acting like this is bigotry, defined my Merriam Webster as "Strongly and unfairly disliking other people, ideas, etc. : especially : hating or refusing to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)".

And even if bigotry is legal, it's still wrong.

If you find yourself judging an entire group, and not just an individual, then you are being a bigot. (And of course this excepts groups that are defined by their actions, like 'thieves' or 'politicians'.)

• 1 month later...

There was a very successful "Five Star" steak house in Jomtien, it became very popular with Gay people, especially the "Gay and Grey" set who are usually financially secure, resident here, and love to party with their friends.

A homophobic rumor started after the gay manager was dismissed, Gay people avoided it in droves. The place has now been empty for quite a few years.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a clue for you.

A respectable ladyboy personality would not get turned away.

Never had problem anywhere with any of my ladyboy friends taking them to dinner

I was speaking about a specific very well known restaurant that I can't name.

You can name and shame them if you want.

I have never heard of anyone , any gender, being denied to eat in a restaurant , unless they are rude and are making noise etc. So this must be a special restaurant , probably a farang owner who hates LB's.

Unlike the "politically correct" UK where a devoutly Christian couple were dragged though the courts for denying a couple of gays a double bed in a single room in their small guest house I applaud Thailand in permitting "discrimination" if it suits an owners business model.

I will not patronise a bar or restaurant which allows flamboyant gays, obvious LB's or other overt displays of the sex industry into their premise .

Unlike the "politically correct" UK where a devoutly Christian couple were dragged though the courts for denying a couple of gays a double bed in a single room in their small guest house I applaud Thailand in permitting "discrimination" if it suits an owners business model.

I will not patronise a bar or restaurant which allows flamboyant gays, obvious LB's or other overt displays of the sex industry into their premise .

all the above groups of people should be able to enjoy a free choice or where that eat or drink, some people are set in a fixed mindset, and stuck in the middle ages,

I think that the above court case was about not letting a double room to an unmarried couple, not anything to do with the fact the unmarried couple were gay. the hotel owners equally do not allow unmarried different sex couples to share a room.

Pattaya is the wrong city if you are discriminatory against people that are not of the same sexual persuasion as you. these views would not be acceptable in most western forward thinking countries

• 3 weeks later...

all the above groups of people should be able to enjoy a free choice or where that eat or drink, some people are set in a fixed mindset, and stuck in the middle ages,

I think that the above court case was about not letting a double room to an unmarried couple, not anything to do with the fact the unmarried couple were gay. the hotel owners equally do not allow unmarried different sex couples to share a room.

Pattaya is the wrong city if you are discriminatory against people that are not of the same sexual persuasion as you. these views would not be acceptable in most western forward thinking countries

It's best to ignore the troll user who goes by the name "sunnyjim5". He jumps into threads all over Thaivisa saying offensive and provocative things trying to get people to argue with him. The biggest clue here is, why else would he post in the Gay in Thailand Forum with something like "I will not patronize a restaurant that allows flamboyant gays"...? Ignore him, and he will get bored and go away.

It's best to ignore the troll user who goes by the name "sunnyjim5". He jumps into threads all over Thaivisa saying offensive and provocative things trying to get people to argue with him. The biggest clue here is, why else would he post in the Gay in Thailand Forum with something like "I will not patronize a restaurant that allows flamboyant gays"...? Ignore him, and he will get bored and go away.

Conversely, you can report posters like that for trolling and they will be given a holiday from the forum. The gay forum is meant to be a reasonably gay-friendly portion of the forum. Diversity of opinions is welcome, but homophobic remarks and trolling are not.

Spicy nightclub in CM don't allow ladyboys either.

More to do with protecting heterosexuals from unwelcome surprises later in their bedrooms than anything else.

Many clubs providing young men for women don't allow ladyboy, gatoey and male customers to enter.

About 25 years ago I was travelling out late and stopped by small 24/7 Restaurant in San Jose, California. Was seated in a booth next to four fully decked-out drag queens. Was not expecting to see this outside of the Castro ...but here they were. Friendly bunch. Had a lovely chat over a late dinner. They didn't jump or rob anybody. But then I'm assured there is a difference between a drag queen, a transvestite, and a kathoey.

So, a drag queen, a transvestite, and a kathoey walk into a bar...

So, a drag queen, a transvestite, and a kathoey walk into a bar...

the barkeep is a one-legged pirate with a lesbian parrot on his left shoulder...

There was a very successful "Five Star" steak house in Jomtien, it became very popular with Gay people, especially the "Gay and Grey" set who are usually financially secure, resident here, and love to party with their friends.

A homophobic rumor started after the gay manager was dismissed, Gay people avoided it in droves. The place has now been empty for quite a few years.

If the rumors were conflated or just plain false, and the gay manager was sacked for justifiable, professional reasons, do you think an organized, punitive boycott by "the gays" is right?

There's a curious taint of hypocrisy in there somewhere, can't quite put my finger on it.

I think people running privately held businesses that do not do business with the government ought to be able to refuse service to anyone they please.

I concur with the above.

And as the "no ladyboys" policy by this restaurant is an official management choice they made, we can safely identify this restaurant as being Hopf on beach road without fear of any legal implications.

There are also quite a number of discos which have a "no ladyboys" policy - in fact all of them except Marine.

I agree with what Mogandave posted - the government has the duty to not discriminate against anyone, but I fully support private businesses in their right to choose their customers - men's clubs, women's clubs, no ladyboys for establishments to attract a clientele of sexually unsecure "machos", etc.