USA -- low budget repatriation specific locations that aren't horrible

After 500 posts JT must have gotten the drift: Live in the US costs 3 to 4 times more than in Thailand.

To recommend states within the "Bible Belt", considering JT's sexual orientation. is worse than a crime,

My prediction: JT will stay in Thailand, because there are no viable alternatives left for him at this time.(Medical or otherwise).

Cheers.

Like I've said, I may have no choice but to repatriate. As far as Bible Belt, careful with gross generalizations, Atlanta and Austin TX are in the bible belt, as well. As far as costs, choosing a lower cost U.S. location, some things cost more and some things cost less. Overall, yes I'd agree the U.S. is more. 3 or 4 times more, it could be worse than that (ruinous) if you had to pay retail for medical care, or it could be not that bad if you can manage your health and be lucky avoiding accidents and rattlesnake bites. In the U.S., housing can be affordable, used cars are cheaper, many foods are cheaper (not restaurants so much), decent clothes are cheaper.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I spent 15+ years in the mid west. The weather is tough. I remember summers where we'd only have a few weeks of really good weather. The rest was cold and rainy. Then October would be there and you're in for 7+ months of cold weather. No thanks.

I've got very fond memories of living there. But not sure I'd like the cold weather.

Yeah ... memories of the Chicago winters are haunting. New England not so great either that way!

• Like 1

I spent 15+ years in the mid west. The weather is tough. I remember summers where we'd only have a few weeks of really good weather. The rest was cold and rainy. Then October would be there and you're in for 7+ months of cold weather. No thanks.

I've got very fond memories of living there. But not sure I'd like the cold weather.

Yeah ... memories of the Chicago winters are haunting. New England not so great either that way!

I spent about a year and a half in the Chicago and IL area some years back. It had, IMO, the worst, most unpleasant weather I had ever experienced. The winters were brutal cold with massive, constant winds and the summers were obscenely hot and sticky.

After 500 posts JT must have gotten the drift: Live in the US costs 3 to 4 times more than in Thailand.

To recommend states within the "Bible Belt", considering JT's sexual orientation. is worse than a crime,

My prediction: JT will stay in Thailand, because there are no viable alternatives left for him at this time.(Medical or otherwise).

Cheers.

I don't think prices are 3-4 times more in the US vs here. You have to compare apples to apples. And if you factor in health care costs, it's easy to live in the US cheaper. If you take out the "sex" part of Thailand, the US (and other "western" countries) have a lot to offer versus here. It's very tempting at times!

A decent apartment can be had for under $500. Many food items are much cheaper. As are many household and clothing items. And they have libraries! Free summer concerts, etc. Great cultural events.

As for weather, I think a good part of the year it's lousy here. Impossible to go for walks during the day. Just too hot!

According to the Mercer cost of living index, Bangkok is now at 45. Above Honolulu and Miami. And way above Winston-Salem at 157.

• Like 2

I've seen some really nice double wides. I wouldn't discount them so quickly. Yes, many are pretty bad...and in bad trailer parks. A friend owned one outside phoenix. Hot tub, outside BBQ pit, storage shed, landscaped yard, covered parking for 2 cars, and a very safe and secure gated community. Not too expensive either. Lots of events going on. And lots of things to play with. Billiards, darts, horseshoes, exercise room, etc, etc, etc. We use to spend hours playing pool and listening to music in the huge entertainment building. Great fun.

The problem with Cleveland (and other northern cities) is the weather. Hard to go for a walk when it's cold outside. Or raining. Or muggy hot in the summer. Phoenix is great, except for the 100 days over 100. Then it's miserable.

I lived in San Diego for many years. Loved it, but just too expensive now. The home I bought for 200k in 1988 is now close to 600k. And it's not that big of a home! Traffic in all SoCal is horrible. No worries about crime where I lived. Easy to live in very safe communities. San Marcos. Carlsbad. Etc. But not cheap. Great weather though! Almost perfect year round. I do miss many aspects of living in California.

I met a guy from San Diego here a few years ago. Has a nice 1BR apartment in Mission Bay, maybe 1/4 mile to the beach. An absolutely fantastic place to live. Great for walking, biking, etc. A bit cool in the winter, and during the June "gloom" days. But so much to do and see. I think he was paying $1200/month and loved where he was.

• Like 1

With "manufactured homes" I can get past the issue of leasing the land space which is USUALLY the setup. Yes sometimes you can get places where you own the land but then you're not usually getting the park activities aspect of it, which might be a benefit depending on your POV. As far as what they're like inside, well the pictures of some of the newer ones look more than fine to me.

A HUD home just means someone had an FHA loan and was foreclosed. That neighborhood is probably safer than 2/3 of Tucson.

Understood. I've bought a few for investments. But typically not in the better neighborhoods. The better homes get snapped up before they go to HUD, from the FHA.

Correct, it is the ones the banks couldn't sell for anywhere close to the default amount. If they are in a decent area, they do tend to be manufactured homes, or low end condos, or homes with well/septic issues. I have yet to encounter a price range or area that was immune from this last crash.

• Like 1

I've got some friends who live in either Arkansas or Tennessee. I can't remember which. He was laid off as a cop due to medical issues. Making some 2k/month. They moved there due to low costs. I saw them a few years ago during Xmas. Funny how they said many don't want to associate with them because they are hi so! Rich! LOL

Weather wise, it gets a quite cold there in winter. And very muggy in the summer.

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/united-states/arkansas/?Units=1

I think the "bubba" factor would get to me in that part of the US. 5555 As a cop, he was telling about the massive drug problem they have there. Didn't sound good.

http://www.uatrav.com/news/article_df184342-a34f-11e3-83b6-0017a43b2370.html

I've got some friends who live in either Arkansas or Tennessee. I can't remember which. He was laid off as a cop due to medical issues. Making some 2k/month. They moved there due to low costs. I saw them a few years ago during Xmas. Funny how they said many don't want to associate with them because they are hi so! Rich! LOL

Weather wise, it gets a quite cold there in winter. And very muggy in the summer.

http://www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/united-states/arkansas/?Units=1

I think the "bubba" factor would get to me in that part of the US. 5555 As a cop, he was telling about the massive drug problem they have there. Didn't sound good.

http://www.uatrav.com/news/article_df184342-a34f-11e3-83b6-0017a43b2370.html

There are many Tennessees and many Arkansas just as there are many Californias. What part you live in will determine how you experience it. Memphis is a craphole of drugs and crime but Cleveland is quite nice. I could be wrong but I think Arkansas is warmer than Tennessee especially N. Tennessee. Neither is bitter cold, though.

You won't find that Bubba factor everywhere and most of those rural people are quite nice. They even have paved roads and electricity now, LOL.

This thread started out as a discussion about finding an affordable way to repatriate to the US into a state that has expanded Medicaid. To me it's trying to turn into a discussion about finding what each person wants. If I need a nice tree lined street I can take a nice walk on every morning in decent weather I'll head for Beverly Hills.

Cheers.

I had an online look at Hot Springs, Arkansas which is a historic resort town (forests and hot springs) and it looked quite charming. It's lower cost that you'd expect for a place that's a tourism draw. But it is rather isolated and has the downsides of any smaller towns/cities that are isolated. But on paper I can imagine worse places. I think the summers are particularly miserable, humidity-wise.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/arkansas/hot_springs

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Since you are considering some colder places I think Providence RI would be good. For a small city it has great restaurants, very good culture, a thriving arts scene, amazing Universities including Brown and if you like food Johnson and Whales and when you need a bigger city Boston is 45 minutes ish by train or car and NYC is 3 hours and Provincetown is 2 hours. If the winter is too cold maybe that Crab guy can put you up in Florida in Jan/Feb lol. Also for New England real estate is cheap.

Edited by alex8912
  • Like 1

Well Jingthing,

seems that Detroit may satisfy three out of your requirements. food , cheap housing, and Medicaid expansion, sorry about the weather though

One of the country’s poorest cities is suddenly becoming a food mecca

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/one-of-the-countrys-poorest-cities-is-suddenly-becoming-a-food-mecca/2016/01/04/82631234-ad80-11e5-b820-eea4d64be2a1_story.html?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_3_na

• Like 1

Well Jingthing,

seems that Detroit may satisfy three out of your requirements. food , cheap housing, and Medicaid expansion, sorry about the weather though

One of the country’s poorest cities is suddenly becoming a food mecca

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/one-of-the-countrys-poorest-cities-is-suddenly-becoming-a-food-mecca/2016/01/04/82631234-ad80-11e5-b820-eea4d64be2a1_story.html?tid=hybrid_experimentrandom_3_na

Then again, maybe not:

But the cost of such attractive housing is so low because people don’t want it. And one of the things I simply had not appreciated about struggling cities like Detroit before visiting is that a lot of the reason why housing is so cheap is because in other respects, life is surprisingly expensive.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/02/living-detroit

• Like 2

Since you are considering some colder places I think Providence RI would be good. For a small city it has great restaurants, very good culture, a thriving arts scene, amazing Universities including Brown and if you like food Johnson and Whales and when you need a bigger city Boston is 45 minutes ish by train or car and NYC is 3 hours and Provincetown is 2 hours. If the winter is too cold maybe that Crab guy can put you up in Florida in Jan/Feb lol. Also for New England real estate is cheap.

The Crab-guy hasn't spent more than 3 weeks per year in Florida in the last 10+ years.

A headline from today's New York Times website:

"Louisiana’s New Governor Signs an Order to Expand Medicaid."

Your choices have expanded by one.

I suppose so but I haven't found the idea of moving anywhere in Louisiana that appealing. Of course the New Orleans area is but pricey.

Also, I guess it's true that things could change a lot after the next election, if the republicans control the house, senate, and white house added to the majority of governors.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1