The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately i do not have any documentary evidence of being retired. I do not file tax documents and do not have a pension. I am just interested to know if anyone has obtained one in London with similar circumstances. I can provide evidence of significant savings/investments if it would be helpful.

I have a friend who got one in New Zealand with no employment documents required but I am not sure what the situation is in London. I am going back to visit family in Europe so would not want to waste my time going to London specially if there was a chance of being declined. As an alternative which Hon. Thai consulate would be the most flexible?

Hey guys.

I got a triple entry tourist visa a while ago back in my home country, probably one of the last ones issued. I used my last entry and Im allowed to stay here until may 22nd. Can I extend this last entry 1 month at inmigration for 1900 baht right? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys.

I got a triple entry tourist visa a while ago back in my home country, probably one of the last ones issued. I used my last entry and Im allowed to stay here until may 22nd. Can I extend this last entry 1 month at inmigration for 1900 baht right? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

No problem to extend your 60 day entry.

Hello.

Got a METV in New Zealand. I was told, I needed to leave every 60 days and COULD NOT extend for an extra 30 days at immigration. Some of the stuff ive been reading here makes me think I can extend. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

Thanks

Hello.

Got a METV in New Zealand. I was told, I needed to leave every 60 days and COULD NOT extend for an extra 30 days at immigration. Some of the stuff ive been reading here makes me think I can extend. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

Thanks

You were misinformed.

Any 60 day entry gained from a METV can be extended by 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 bHT.

edit to fix typo

Edited by johnatong
  • Like 1

Thanks,

Is immigration open tomorrow? i tried calling them, they didnt pick up. not sure if thats a sign they are extending songkran holidays.

They are open today and the rest of the week. Not unusual not to get answer when calling them.

Do government offices in Thailand actually answer a phone?

I have never had one answer a phone in any country I have visited in the world.

It varies from office to office but believe it or not, a few offices do have staff who know what the ringing noise from that thing on their desk means.

Anyone have experience getting the METV from London? I can provide everything except the employment documents. I am retired but not yet 50 years old. Anyone had any success getting it?

You happen to be asking exactly the same question that I'm trying to find the answer to right now, my friend. I, too, am unemployed, but due to having sold a London property a number of years ago, have more than adequate funds to help me stay in Thailand without the need of work or having to provide a Tax Return each year. Therefore, I'm what you might call invisible to the Tax Office as I'm currently not earning nor signing on. Yes, us people DO exist. Also, I don't want to stay in LOS for 1 year and have a Thai bank account in order to meet the A-O Visa requirements as I'm quite happy to spend only 6 to 7 months traveling Asia once a year, while keeping LOS as my point of base. Not that getting an A-O would help me now, as I would still need to make a short journey over there in order to open a current account and deposit £14,000 in before going through the complexities of obtaining an A-O back in England and paying a solicitor to verify all the documentation. A huge undertaking in itself.

And before anyone says: "Why don't you contact the London Royal Thai Consulate first rather than coming here?" I've done that, and am still waiting for their feedback on my queries. No, the purpose of coming here and asking that question is, surely, there must have been people that are in the same position as me and have already gone through the London process and already have the answers.

Hopefully, someone reading this can provide me with a satisfactory answer?

Why do you believe you would need to deposit £14K in a Thai bank prior to applying for an O/A visa ? There is no such requirement !

An O/A visa, if used correctly, can provide for an almost two year stay in Thailand without the need for a Thai bank account.

I've just seen your response, johnatong, and don't want to stray off topic as my question is about the METV visa only, and not an O/A one. However, the confusion lies in their conditions on their Embassy website that in order to obtain an O/A visa these instructions must be followed: Once having been in the Kingdom up to 90 days, applicant must report himself / herself to the authorities concerned and every 90 days, also report can be made by post by fill up the form TM.47 which can be obtained from immigration office, whereupon documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000 .- Baht (approximately GBP14,000.00) or an income certificate plus a deposite account showing an anount of not less than 800,000.- Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretation of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirments.

Sorry, but no where did I state one needed a Thai bank account "prior" to getting an O/A - I'm of course referring to when it comes to the point where a person needs to report himself / herself to the authorities concerned every 90 days once they're in the Kingdom. Though I DO acknowledge a person can show evidence of their UK account, providing they have the neccessary papers to do so. Not having gone this route before, I'm not sure how old this statement can be and what exactly they require? Of course, this isn't something I want to do, right now, either way.

Needless to say, I think we're muddying the waters here, and that I just want to reiterate I'm not interested in obtaining an O/A but the METV. Hopefully, someone on here can answer my previous question.

Thank you

I've just seen your response, johnatong, and don't want to stray off topic as my question is about the METV visa only, and not an O/A one. However, the confusion lies in their conditions on their Embassy website that in order to obtain an O/A visa these instructions must be followed: Once having been in the Kingdom up to 90 days, applicant must report himself / herself to the authorities concerned and every 90 days, also report can be made by post by fill up the form TM.47 which can be obtained from immigration office, whereupon documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000 .- Baht (approximately GBP14,000.00) or an income certificate plus a deposite account showing an anount of not less than 800,000.- Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretation of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirments.

Sorry, but no where did I state one needed a Thai bank account "prior" to getting an O/A - I'm of course referring to when it comes to the point where a person needs to report himself / herself to the authorities concerned every 90 days once they're in the Kingdom. Though I DO acknowledge a person can show evidence of their UK account, providing they have the neccessary papers to do so. Not having gone this route before, I'm not sure how old this statement can be and what exactly they require? Of course, this isn't something I want to do, right now, either way.

Needless to say, I think we're muddying the waters here, and that I just want to reiterate I'm not interested in obtaining an O/A but the METV. Hopefully, someone on here can answer my previous question.

Thank you

Your exact words were

"Also, I don't want to stay in LOS for 1 year and have a Thai bank account in order to meet the A-O Visa requirements"

I think you have misread the Embassy's web site or got your information from elsewhere.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

You it seems are thinking 90 day reports have some sort of link with an extension to stay - they do not.

With an O/A visa (correctly used) an extension of stay does not have to be applied for until toward the end of the second years stay.

If you want a METV then apply for one with evidence of your being retired or unemployed. Or get an SETV and if you wish to stay longer obtain another SETV from one of the Thai Embassy's in a nearby country.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to reply, johnatong. Actually, you are correct, I'm somewhat confused by the whole concept of an O/A and admit that I was thinking that the 90 day reports were linked with an extension to stay. I don't have any former experience with an O/A visa, so forgive my ignorance. In fact, I'm not sure how it works at all. So sorry for my hasty response. Just out of interest, what IS required on a 90 day report? You also say that I wouldn't need a Thai bank account, how is this got around? I'm not sure of the process beyond getting the O/A to be honest.

Sad to say, I'm completely at a loss as what to do. I was thinking that the METV was the right route, but the more I think about it, maybe the O/A might be more beneficial?

Hi, I will be able to get the METV visa, I would like to stay there 9 months (3 entries + extension), go back to my home country and apply for another METV.

Do you know if you could apply for METV every year if you meet the requirements or is there a limit ?

Hi, I will be able to get the METV visa, I would like to stay there 9 months (3 entries + extension), go back to my home country and apply for another METV.

Do you know if you could apply for METV every year if you meet the requirements or is there a limit ?

There is no published policy on this, and clearly no experience yet. My guess is that most countries will allow it, but a few (such as France) probably will not.

Senior Player... if you send me a request via TVF mail I will write up a paragraph or two about the O-A Visa, the O-Visa, The Extension of Stay Based on Retirement and the 90 day Report. All are separate entities.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, johnatong. Actually, you are correct, I'm somewhat confused by the whole concept of an O/A and admit that I was thinking that the 90 day reports were linked with an extension to stay. I don't have any former experience with an O/A visa, so forgive my ignorance. In fact, I'm not sure how it works at all. So sorry for my hasty response. Just out of interest, what IS required on a 90 day report? You also say that I wouldn't need a Thai bank account, how is this got around? I'm not sure of the process beyond getting the O/A to be honest.

Sad to say, I'm completely at a loss as what to do. I was thinking that the METV was the right route, but the more I think about it, maybe the O/A might be more beneficial?

If you are over 50 and can meet the financial requirements then go for the non 'O-A' long stay visa as that will cover your year and more if needed. It would be the most suitable visa for you.

If applying for the METV; IMO someone is 'unemployed' that is willing to work but can't and I see no problem in labelling yourself as retired. As long as, if required, you can produce evidence of income/funds to support your retirement I think there is a good chance a METV would be issued.

Thank you, elviajero and JDGRUEN for your replies. They are most welcome. As most people here are probably aware, getting information from the London Thai Embassy is like trying to get blood out of a stone. So far, the only information I've managed to glean about the METV is from a chap in Denmark from another site where he claims: "In Denmark there's no questions about how you're employed when you apply, I just had to show booking of hotel, a entry/exit flight ticket and a bank statement showing I had some money - approx 200000 baht I believe."

So it looks like the Danish consulate isn't being so difficult about issuing an METV if you're unemployed, so long as you have proof on 200,000 baht in your current account, which is what elviajero is also saying in his post.

Of course, I'm just trying to get some clarification so I can make my final decision. I'm still a month away from my poposed visit, so at least have a little leeway.

A further update that I've just recieved via an email from Universal Visas, who deal in providing a visa service for UK residents, told me this about the METV:

As far the embassy have advised there are no changes in applying for a multiple entry visa.

Requirements are:

1 Universal Visa order form

1 application form

2 photos

Bank statements

Passport

No mention of flight ticket or accommodation documentation!! I'm looking further into this, but thought I'd just post my recent findings here.

OK, guys, my last a final posting on this subject until I actually get the METV, but Universal Visa Services claim that it isn't a prerequisite to have a letter about employment either way. The most important thing is a history of bank statements (they suggest 3 months worth) to show a healthy financial situation will do it. They also, claim that they've recieved no requests to provide the UK-based Thai Embassy with flight and accommodation documentation, but say it's probably best to supply this to ensure a fast turnaround. So, there you have it.

First hand report

METV obtained at Liverpool Consulate

The visa was issued in the customary 20 minutes. All documents were required as stipulated on their website.

The only point of discussion was the bank statement referred to a fixed term deposit. The consular official said the money had to be accessible. After discussion, she accepted the application

i) after I pointed out the fixed term deposit could be cancelled at any time and the money accessed.

ii) and she noted the balance was significantly over the minimum balance required.

The cost was £135 (£125 visa fee + £10 appointment fee), again, as stipulated on the website.

She commented that she was issuing hardly any METV's because the people who wanted them (young tourists going to S E Asia for a long trip) could not meet the requirements and the people who could meet the requirements, particularly the financial requirement, did not want them.

• Like 1

She commented that she was issuing hardly any METV's because the people who wanted them (young tourists going to S E Asia for a long trip) could not meet the requirements and the people who could meet the requirements, particularly the financial requirement, did not want them.

Well, I like that comment somehow...

There is no published policy on this, and clearly no experience yet. My guess is that most countries will allow it, but a few (such as France) probably will not.

Just for curiosity, Why France would not allow it ?

Just for curiosity, Why France would not allow it ?

The Embassy in Paris has a history of not allowing back to back tourist visas.

METV from Ottawa, Canada.

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone from Canada could give me the step by step process of obtaining the METV? It is effectively good for 9 months correct? I have heard recently that you need a letter of employment (can be your own business in Canada) and $8000 USD in your bank account to show when applying at the Thai embassy, is this true as well? Also can you only get this visa once, or can you get it every year; are there limits as to how many times you can get this visa?

A side note on my status here: I first arrived in November and have been in and out of the country traveling on exempt entries. I recently came back from Indonesia a couple weeks ago and it was my 4th exempt entry stamp...not sure if that matters when applying for the METV within the same year?

Any and all help is much appreciated! Thank you!

METV from Ottawa, Canada.

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone from Canada could give me the step by step process of obtaining the METV? It is effectively good for 9 months correct? I have heard recently that you need a letter of employment (can be your own business in Canada) and $8000 USD in your bank account to show when applying at the Thai embassy, is this true as well? Also can you only get this visa once, or can you get it every year; are there limits as to how many times you can get this visa?

A side note on my status here: I first arrived in November and have been in and out of the country traveling on exempt entries. I recently came back from Indonesia a couple weeks ago and it was my 4th exempt entry stamp...not sure if that matters when applying for the METV within the same year?

Any and all help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Requirement to get METV is here on embassy website: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/uploads/ott09112015.pdf

No mention of employment proof.

You could also get the visa from one of the honorary consulates listed here: http://www.thaiembassy.ca/uploads/ott09112015.pdf

You should not have a problem getting another one. You visa exempt entries will not effect you getting the visa.

For people who are asking if you can get additional METV after expiry.

No one here probably knows for sure as they just started issuing this type Visa around the first of December. So the 6 months has not expired yet for anyone.

Maybe your local consulate can tell you as it will probably vary from place to place.

• Like 1

Hello, I will be traveling back to Sydney, Australia next week to get a METV. The requirements at Sydney do not seem to require financial statements, compared to most other consulates/Embassy in Australia. I am an Australian citizen. Has anyone got recent experience getting a METV in Sydney?

Thanks