The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Hello Visa experts,

Does anybody have any experience with the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur issuing METV? I don't have permanent residency in Malaysia, but am French, so this should be alright I guess.

Thank you!

The METV is only issued in your home country, or a country where you have residence. You will not get an METV in KL. In fact, KL is one of the most awkward locations in the region even to get an SETV. They frequently make totally unreasonable documentation requests. That said, their policy on METV is the same as everywhere else in the region.

Hello Visa experts,

Does anybody have any experience with the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur issuing METV? I don't have permanent residency in Malaysia, but am French, so this should be alright I guess.

Thank you!

Hello !

How many more times are you going to ask this question ?

You will not get an METV other than from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your own country .

• Like 1

Hello Visa experts,

Thank you!

I think you will find because you are FRENCH you can pretty much obtain METV anywhere in the world. Maybe Google it first for definitive advice for French folk

I think I am understanding the METV better. Please check my conclusions.

I will be traveling to Thailand 17 June to 11 August (59 days) and again 2 Nov to 19 Jan (78 days)

If I apply for the METV on June 1st, the last time I can enter the country is 27 Nov. correct?

I like to keep my options open as far as traveling to other countries. Because I can get a 30 day visa exception if I leave and return (which would mean I could leave after Dec 21) the only time i couldn't leave the country would be Nov 27-Dec 21. Correct?

If I want to be able to leave the country and return during that period I would need an SETV for the trip in June then an METV for the November trip. Correct?

Thanks for your help in understanding this.

For those who have applied for the METV from the USA:

1. Is an airline ticket copy a clear necessity (I'm suspecting it is)?

2. Do i have to supply proof of where I am staying upon arrival? What If I'm staying at a friend's house?

Thanks!!

I will be traveling to Thailand 17 June to 11 August (59 days) and again 2 Nov to 19 Jan (78 days)

If I apply for the METV on June 1st, the last time I can enter the country is 27 Nov. correct?

I like to keep my options open as far as traveling to other countries. Because I can get a 30 day visa exception if I leave and return (which would mean I could leave after Dec 21) the only time i couldn't leave the country would be Nov 27-Dec 21. Correct?

If I want to be able to leave the country and return during that period I would need an SETV for the trip in June then an METV for the November trip. Correct?

If the METV is issued June 1st, I believe the last day you can enter Thailand using it will be November 30th (it is valid for 6 months, not 180 days).

If leaving Thailand, planning to return after November 30th, you would have the following options:

• if your current entry has a permission to stay that expires well after your planned return date (example: your permission to stay is until 23rd January, you are leaving on 4th December and returning 7th December) you could get a reentry stamp costing 1,000 baht that will keep your permission intact;
  • depending on your nationality, you may be able to enter Thailand visa exempt for a stay of 30 days, and the visa exempt entry can be extended (so your assumption that there is a period when visa exempt entries would be impracticable is not actually correct).

If already in Thailand, and wanting to extend your visit past the current permission to stay (example: your permission to stay expires January 2nd and you want to stay longer) you can apply for an extension of stay, giving an additional 30 days (in our example until February 1st) on payment of 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

Assuming your nationality is USA and not LA you would qualify for 30 day visa exempt entry.

As already informed the METV will be valid for 6 months from the date it is issued not 180 days. If issued on June 1st the last day you could enter would be November 31st.

If you want to leave and return to Thailand during the last 60 day entry you could buy a re-entry permit (1,000 baht). But that's only worth while if you have more than 30 days left of the original 60 on the day you return. If 30 or less you would be better off using visa exempt entry.

Visa exempt entries can be extended by 30 days so can cover a 60 day stay.

Edited by elviajero

Please read my post that relates what I was told by the LA Consulate.

Thank you for the response - I checked your profile to try and find the post, but was unable to find anything regarding the LA consulate along with need for flight ticket copy or copy of proof of residency after arrival... Was there another place i should look?

Thank you!

I assume the rules on this are the as any Visa. Which is why I am asking because I do not understand the rules. Sorry if I am stupid.

My METV expires June 22. I then want to transition to the one year retirement Visa ( I am 61). I already have the 800,000 in a Thai account. Assuming I re-enter Thailand June 21 and then have 60 days left on my METV, when would I apply in Thailand for the Non Imm. O-A Retirement Visa? I plan on doing this in Jomtien.

Thanks

Yes, LA in USA. Thanks

A bit disheartening that you know more then the employee of the Consulate.

It's not unusual for consulate staff worldwide to misinform. Their website is wrong too which is also not unusual.

I notice I wrote Nov 31st, it should be Nov 30th. No one is perfect :)

Edited by elviajero

Please read my post that relates what I was told by the LA Consulate.

Thank you for the response - I checked your profile to try and find the post, but was unable to find anything regarding the LA consulate along with need for flight ticket copy or copy of proof of residency after arrival... Was there another place i should look?

Thank you!

I did mine at LA.

They required flight booking showing multiple entries.

They also required hotel booking confirmations for my stays.

For the flights they wanted confirmed tickets, not just a printed itinerary.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

Requirements for the Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

• Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident for the Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

• Your actual passport (must have been valid for at least three months and will not expire within six months from time of travel to and from Thailand and have some blank visa pages) - include a copy of the "picture-page" of the passport

Include a copy of your U.S. Permanent resident card or U.S. visa (not applicable to U.S. passport holders)

• Completed visa application [Download] (all sections must be completed including proposed address in Thailand)

• Two recent passport-type photos

• Bank statement showing a minimum of US$7,000

• Letter from employer verifying employment

• Copy of airline tickets (e-tickets or itinerary showing confirmed flights) - tickets should show multiple entries

• Copy of hotel reservation

• Fee is $200 - payable by cashier's check or money order

This from the LA site.

• Like 1

I assume the rules on this are the as any Visa. Which is why I am asking because I do not understand the rules. Sorry if I am stupid.

My METV expires June 22. I then want to transition to the one year retirement Visa ( I am 61). I already have the 800,000 in a Thai account. Assuming I re-enter Thailand June 21 and then have 60 days left on my METV, when would I apply in Thailand for the Non Imm. O-A Retirement Visa? I plan on doing this in Jomtien.

Thanks

If you are applying in Thailand, you will need to

• enter on a Non Imm O visa (single entry is fine) or convert your tourist entry to a Non O (doable in Bangkok but takes time); and
  • apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Alternatively, from your home country only, you can apply for a Non Imm OA (long stay) visa. It is not totally inaccurate to call this a "retirement visa" but it is best to avoid calling it that to avoid confusion with multiple entry Non O visas and extensions of stay based on retirement.

Thanks

You need to have at least 15 days if your 60 left to apply for a conversion. It is done in Bangkok but I'm not sure if Jomtien will accept the application and pass it in.

The conversion is required to gain a non immigrant entry/90 day stay. Within the last 30 days of the 90 you apply for the 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. It's not a non 'O-A' visa.

You could avoid the conversion process and get a non immigrant 'O' visa from Vientaine, Laos when you exit at the end of June. When you re-enter you'll get a 90 day stay and can apply for the extension of stay within the last 30 days.

Didn't check the topic recently, so it took me a bit by surprise that you get only single TV. I'm defenitely not the type of the common visa-runners who show up on a Monday morning and show up with full luggage @ 13:30 to get back as soon as they can. I'm actually like Vientiane, but saying that, it's a 3 day ride from the north. You could do in 2 days if your into SM, those who've seen Lao road conditions, know what I mean.

So what's the deal now? No doubles anywhere near, what about Bali, still triple?. I could possibly stretch my stay with a 30 day extension, but I never regarded that as value for money.

Not really sure what Thailand is into. I'm for sure not the biggest spender in the country, but I'm paying all my bills on time, or even ahead if I'm leaving the country

Didn't check the topic recently, so it took me a bit by surprise that you get only single TV. I'm defenitely not the type of the common visa-runners who show up on a Monday morning and show up with full luggage @ 13:30 to get back as soon as they can. I'm actually like Vientiane, but saying that, it's a 3 day ride from the north. You could do in 2 days if your into SM, those who've seen Lao road conditions, know what I mean.

So what's the deal now? No doubles anywhere near, what about Bali, still triple?. I could possibly stretch my stay with a 30 day extension, but I never regarded that as value for money.

Not really sure what Thailand is into. I'm for sure not the biggest spender in the country, but I'm paying all my bills on time, or even ahead if I'm leaving the country

No double/triple entry visas available anywhere (including Bali! )

A multiple entry tourist visa, valid for 6 months , is available from the Thai Embassy in your own country.

Two and 3 entry tourist visas are no longer issued anywhere. Just a single or the METV.

Good enough, I'm back anyway once a year. Used to be 90€ for a triple, so I guess the fee is up as 5000 bath would be somewhere near 130/140 €. Any policy about getting visas in a row in Vientiane? I wouldn't stress to much anyway, as PNH, is a nice city too.

Just to add as information, absolutly no trouble to get the visa. I have always (as a precaution) returning tickets, bank statements, tambien baan with me, they don't look at anything.

Have been reading. So I recently returned to Thailand assuming that I would be able to get back to back tourist visas indefinitely. And get new ones in the region. Is it right that even single entry visas are not allowed to be applied for back to back either? Is that what the thread about no in/out stamps at Cambodian border was about. Trying to find that thread I was just reading...

My story is- I returned from the UK in sept 2015, Thai partner still has valid ILR visa. Enrolled our child at an international school. They both have Thai citizenship (child dual UK/Thai), but it seems that I will not be able to use tourist visas back to back anymore.

The question is can you repeat setvs back to back? If not, hmm. I suppose a rethink is needed...

The question is can you repeat setvs back to back? If not, hmm. I suppose a rethink is needed...

Are you married then get 1-year extension of stay based on marriage.

If not legalize your child and get extension based on having a Thai child.

If you don't have 40.000 baht in income or 400.000 in bank Savanakhet will issue a one year multiple entry non-O based on family.

Here is a guide to legalize your child.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Have been reading. So I recently returned to Thailand assuming that I would be able to get back to back tourist visas indefinitely. And get new ones in the region. Is it right that even single entry visas are not allowed to be applied for back to back either? Is that what the thread about no in/out stamps at Cambodian border was about. Trying to find that thread I was just reading...

My story is- I returned from the UK in sept 2015, Thai partner still has valid ILR visa. Enrolled our child at an international school. They both have Thai citizenship (child dual UK/Thai), but it seems that I will not be able to use tourist visas back to back anymore.

It's unlikely that you will get more than 2 or 3 back to back SETV's from the same embassy/consulate, but there is currently no overall limit. As long as you are prepared to apply in different countries you can still stay here using tourist visas. That said, IMO, it will get harder and harder. You are better off getting a multiple entry non immigrant visa to visit your child or once/if the legal father get 1 year extensions of stay.

You can get a multiple entry non 'O' visa from Penang, Malaysia with an original birth certificate and at least 100k in the bank. Or Savannakhet Laos without any financial proof, but your partner and child will have to be with you.

Also note that you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay at your local immigration office for your tourist visa 60 day entries (1,900 baht). And, in the future, if you have a non immigrant visa that gives 90 days they can also be extended by 60 days one time per entry.

Edited by elviajero

It's unlikely that you will get more than 2 or 3 back to back SETV's from the same embassy/consulate, but there is currently no overall limit. As long as you are prepared to apply in different countries you can still stay here using tourist visas. That said, IMO, it will get harder and harder. You are better off getting a multiple entry non immigrant visa to visit your child or once/if the legal father get 1 year extensions of stay.

You can get a multiple entry non 'O' visa from Penang, Malaysia with an original birth certificate and at least 100k in the bank. Or Savannakhet Laos without any financial proof, but your partner and child will have to be with you.

Also note that you can apply for a 60 day extension of stay at your local immigration office for your tourist visa 60 day entries (1,900 baht). And, in the future, if you have a non immigrant visa that gives 90 days they can also be extended by 60 days one time per entry.

Thank you. So what papers do I need to take to extend tourist visas by 60 days? Thanks again.

Plus with the Savannakhet option, no proof of funds needed, anymore than a birth certificate needed? Plus our passports of course.

And Penang, only birth certificate and 100k, no more?

(Not married)

Edited by clearmirror

Are you married then get 1-year extension of stay based on marriage.

If not legalize your child and get extension based on having a Thai child.

If you don't have 40.000 baht in income or 400.000 in bank Savanakhet will issue a one year multiple entry non-O based on family.

Here is a guide to legalize your child.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

Not married

Thank you. So what papers do I need to take to extend tourist visas by 60 days? Thanks again.

For a 60 day extension you will need

1. The childs birth certificate and Tabian Baan +copies
  2. Copies of your passport data page, visa, entry stamp and departure card.
  3. Completed application form with attached photo
  4. Evidence of address
  5. 1900 Bht fee

The child must accompany you when application is made.