The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

When not in Thailand my legal address is in Iowa. In Thailand I'm within minutes of a popular border crossing.

When in Iowa, contact Portland, OR Honorary Thai Consulate.

Thanks for that. I'm actually wrapping up my trip this year in the Portland area for several weeks.

When not in Thailand my legal address is in Iowa. In Thailand I'm within minutes of a popular border crossing.

Thanks for that. I'm actually wrapping up my trip this year in the Portland area for several weeks.

The Portland Consulate website does not mention the need for proof of employment. But even if required I think they and others will accept a retiree.

• Passport
  • 2 Passport photos
  • Visa application
  • Bank statement for multiple entry visa
  • Cash or Money Order/Cashier's Check made payable to Royal Thai Consulate General. PLEASE DO NOT SEND PERSONAL CHECKS
  • Please see requirements below for non-US Passports.
  • PRE-PAID RETURN ENVELOPE

http://www.thai-or.com/visa-information/

If you live in Nong Khai, or other border town, border hops are going to be cheap, but you still need to factor in the cost of a visa to enter the neighbouring country. Laos is 1,500 baht.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

So assuming you are close enough to the Lao border -- and that the Lao visa might replace 2 1900 baht 30-day extensions -- I figure you can get almost 8 months out of the actual METV plus one 60-day tourist visa from Vientiane plus 2 visa exempt entries at Nong Khai to bring you up to one-year without ever visiting a Thai IMMigration office. Also presume that you travel back to US once-a-year anyway and not just to get another METV.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

Thanks JLCrab and Elviajero. I'm actually in Ranong so visa runs are small money for the boat taxi and a crisp $10 US I think. I think your input about managing to stretch the time might be very helpful for anyone else following this who wants to do that. In my own particular circumstances I expect to continue my 6 month cycles. Does anyone know if ME could mean numerous entries during that 6 month period? I mean it would not be too challenging to plan regional travel to mesh with the 60 day out requirement but I would not necessarily want to be tied to that. Staying 6 months and doing in and out every 60 days would add up to 2 visa runs and an exit. For example if I did a visa run at 60 days and then wanted to actually go somewhere 30 days later - this year I toured Sri Lanka a little - and then other trips amounting to, say, 4 exit / entries, I assume that would not be a problem. I'm trying to look before I leap and understand any drawbacks that might come with adopting this plan. Thanks again for sharing your understanding of the topic. And last, BK6060 you may well be right about sticking with my current approach. I pretty much know the ropes for extension of stay. It feels a little tedious at times but I do manage.

Thanks JLCrab and Elviajero. I'm actually in Ranong so visa runs are small money for the boat taxi and a crisp $10 US I think. I think your input about managing to stretch the time might be very helpful for anyone else following this who wants to do that. In my own particular circumstances I expect to continue my 6 month cycles. Does anyone know if ME could mean numerous entries during that 6 month period? I mean it would not be too challenging to plan regional travel to mesh with the 60 day out requirement but I would not necessarily want to be tied to that. Staying 6 months and doing in and out every 60 days would add up to 2 visa runs and an exit. For example if I did a visa run at 60 days and then wanted to actually go somewhere 30 days later - this year I toured Sri Lanka a little - and then other trips amounting to, say, 4 exit / entries, I assume that would not be a problem. I'm trying to look before I leap and understand any drawbacks that might come with adopting this plan. Thanks again for sharing your understanding of the topic. And last, BK6060 you may well be right about sticking with my current approach. I pretty much know the ropes for extension of stay. It feels a little tedious at times but I do manage.

• ME = Multiple Entry. Unlimited entries would be a better way to describe it.
  • The visa will valid for 6 months for the date it is issued. You can enter as many times as you want during that 6 months, including the last day. But you must exit every 60 days or get an extension of stay.
  • Without extensions, you will need to exit at least 2 times. But if you want to exit more often it's not a problem. Every time you re-enter you get a new 60 day stay.
  • Like 2

So assuming you are close enough to the Lao border -- and that the Lao visa might replace 2 1900 baht 30-day extensions -- I figure you can get almost 8 months out of the actual METV plus one 60-day tourist visa from Vientiane plus 2 visa exempt entries at Nong Khai to bring you up to one-year without ever visiting a Thai IMMigration office. Also presume that you travel back to US once-a-year anyway and not just to get another METV.

I am a total novice at this but am trying to learn.

So based on your scenario could you do this?:

Re-enter one day before your METV expires. Get the 60 days then get and extension for 30. Total 9 months.

Get the 60 day Visa in Vientiane plus a 30 day extension for 90 total. Now one year.

Get 2 non exempt entries plus extensions extensions for a total of 60 days each. Now 16 months.

I am just wondering. Probably better ways to go about it I assume.

Bkk what you suggest would work. The curly one is the visa exempt entries. Depends on how many you have already. Also depends a little on how long you stay out of country. The offshore workers seem to obtain more than the magical 6.

You would be well advised to have some evidence of funds when obtaining the stamps.

In another thread I asked re onward flight ticket if it can be dated the extra 30 days (because you intend to obtain a 30day extension) Didn't receive a reply but I suspect the flight out would need to be within 60 for setv or 30 for stamp. If that was the case it would be pain in freckle.

Maybe one of the experts could give definitive advice on this.

I am in California and Mary Wheeler in Portland never answered my emails. Being there is important I guess. 15 minute turnaround I am told.

Any recent datapoints for METV processing at Thai Embassy in DC (I live in DC and saw a blog post that he heard horror stories about processing time at that embassy). Also, does they ask for employment verification letter? I already obtain copy of my letter, and hopefully it won't be a problem later on because i'm going to quit and spend my time in Thailand once i get visa.

Any recent datapoints for METV processing at Thai Embassy in DC (I live in DC and saw a blog post that he heard horror stories about processing time at that embassy). Also, does they ask for employment verification letter? I already obtain copy of my letter, and hopefully it won't be a problem later on because i'm going to quit and spend my time in Thailand once i get visa.

Their requirements are listed here: http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/

It says 2 to 5 business days to get on that page. Up to 15 day by mail. I have seen reports of people getting a visa there in person 2 days after applying.

Note that you apply at the consular section that is at a different location than the embassy. http://thaiembdc.org/contact/

Weren't the consulates in mainland USA ordered to refuse mail applications? I seem to have read something like that last year.

That would make it very difficult if you live hundreds of miles from a Consulate. Especially if you are not near an airport.

Weren't the consulates in mainland USA ordered to refuse mail applications? I seem to have read something like that last year.

That would make it very difficult if you live hundreds of miles from a Consulate. Especially if you are not near an airport.

Only the Honorary Consulates will not accept mail applications although it seems Portland has received a waiver as long as you are physically in the US -- and can prove so to their satisfaction, if necessary -- at the time of application

So assuming you are close enough to the Lao border -- and that the Lao visa might replace 2 1900 baht 30-day extensions -- I figure

I figure , that if you are near to the Laos border,

from info gained , from recent farangs, doing 60 day visa renewal.

just deliver,, reqd cash at immigration , and they will tick the boxes.

METV, looks good on paper , cash talks.

Nothing new , wai2.gif

So assuming you are close enough to the Lao border -- and that the Lao visa might replace 2 1900 baht 30-day extensions -- I figure

I figure , that if you are near to the Laos border,

from info gained , from recent farangs, doing 60 day visa renewal.

just deliver,, reqd cash at immigration , and they will tick the boxes.

METV, looks good on paper , cash talks.

Nothing new , wai2.gif

"doing 60 day visa renewal. just deliver,, reqd cash at immigration"

Are you are talking about Tourist visas? It is impossible to "renew" Tourist or any other visa at immigration.

"doing 60 day visa renewal. just deliver,, reqd cash at immigration"

Are you are talking about Tourist visas? It is impossible to "renew" Tourist or any other visa at immigration.

No, he is most likely describing a process of 30 day visa exempt + 30 day extension.

A more....."fluid" process without headaches.

Edited by lkv

Only the Honorary Consulates will not accept mail applications although it seems Portland has received a waiver as long as you are physically in the US -- and can prove so to their satisfaction, if necessary -- at the time of application

I have been told Portland does not accept mail applications for 1 year visa. At least not from folks in California. You must go in person. MY friend does it every year.

The visa my friend gets is not on the list.

He gets a 1 year non-immig O. He is just a tourist. He says Californians have to go in person to get it. He gets it yearly. $200.

This sounds like the one-year multi Non O "social" visa that some honorary consulates would give in the past "to visit family and friends". I did not think any consulates could get away with that any more.

LA didn't require employment verification, they just wanted itinerary, pics, hotel res,bank statement, Benard is the Man in LA. I went in person Edited by Ireland32

Thinking of trying for a METV in canberra as i live there, i havnt had $8k in the bank for 6 months so is a Credit Card statement ok along with a written signed declaration ill be exiting and re entering the country at a border every 60 days till my ~140day trip is complete?

• Like 1

Thinking of trying for a METV in canberra as i live there, i havnt had $8k in the bank for 6 months so is a Credit Card statement ok along with a written signed declaration ill be exiting and re entering the country at a border every 60 days till my ~140day trip is complete?

No idea. I would be better if you addressed your query to the Thai Embassy in Canberra.

LA didn't require employment verification, they just wanted itinerary, pics, hotel res,bank statement, Benard is the Man in LA. I went in person

How many months of bank statements?

LA didn't require employment verification, they just wanted itinerary, pics, hotel res,bank statement, Benard is the Man in LA. I went in person

For LA, I went back 3 months but was told just to show the amount on a current statement. $7,000 US.

For LA, I went back 3 months but was told just to show the amount on a current statement. $7,000 US.

Thanks. Their press release said 6 months.

I made a copy of my ATM slip and card good enuf, Very Pleasant in LA

The previous Thai woman was put off by farangs, During the farang time in the morning she made lots of time for Thais and didn't want to help farangs. The current Thai guy is courteous. Bernard, the farang, is very nice.

• Like 1