The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Please read my post that relates what I was told by the LA Consulate.

Thank you for the response - I checked your profile to try and find the post, but was unable to find anything regarding the LA consulate along with need for flight ticket copy or copy of proof of residency after arrival... Was there another place i should look?

Thank you!

I did mine at LA.

They required flight booking showing multiple entries.

They also required hotel booking confirmations for my stays.

For the flights they wanted confirmed tickets, not just a printed itinerary.

I find this very hard to believe though It's probably true. What imbeciles!

Edited by uptheos

Plus with the Savannakhet option, no proof of funds needed, anymore than a birth certificate needed? Plus our passports of course.

And Penang, only birth certificate and 100k, no more?

(Not married)

If applying at either consulate I would take:

• Signed copy of your passport; ID page.
  • 2 x photo's
  • Original and signed copy of birth certificate.
  • Signed copies of the mothers ID and house book (Tabien Baan).
  • Signed copy of the childs Tabien Baan.
  • Multiple entry visa is 5,000 baht in Laos. 550 RM in Malaysia.

I book the entire 3 months at hotels in Thailand. But if a friend wants to go to another country I want to go. It sounds like I would have to get an SETV then pay for expensive re-entry permits if I want to go to another country and return unless I will stay for less than 30 days in Thailand. If one friend says lets go I buy a re-entry. Then later another says lets go and I buy another. It wouldn't be worth it to buy a multiple unless I know I will leave multiple times. The Thai government is not allowing any spontaneity. What the heck?

Why are they making it difficult to get an METV? Chan mai kao jai krup. facepalm.gif

Why are they making it difficult to get an METV? Chan mai kao jai krup. facepalm.gif

I believe their impression was that it would help high net worth individuals that also work in their countries to quit their high paid jobs for 6-9 months and tour Thailand, as long as they presented the proof of enployment before they quit.

I believe their impression was that it would help high net worth individuals that also work in their countries to quit their high paid jobs for 6-9 months and tour Thailand, as long as they presented the proof of enployment before they quit.
IMO the SETV caters for typical tourists. The METV is aimed at those, especially living is SEA, that want to visit and leave multiple times. It is not meant as a way of living in Thailand.

People are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole!

• Like 2

IMO the SETV caters for typical tourists. The METV is aimed at those, especially living is SEA, that want to visit and leave multiple times. It is not meant as a way of living in Thailand.

As others have opined before, the main objective was to get rid of double entry and triple entry tourist visas (used to stay long term in Thailand) without hurting what they perceived as normal tourism. For most tourists from G7 countries, the logical approach is visa exempt entries. The METV is of critical importance for those from countries who do not qualify for visa exempt entries (and perhaps visas on arrival). For them, even something as simple as flying to/from Myanmar via Bangkok (changing airports) can become a practical challenge without some kind of multiple entry visa.

• Like 2

As others have opined before, the main objective was to get rid of double entry and triple entry tourist visas (used to stay long term in Thailand) without hurting what they perceived as normal tourism. For most tourists from G7 countries, the logical approach is visa exempt entries. The METV is of critical importance for those from countries who do not qualify for visa exempt entries (and perhaps visas on arrival). For them, even something as simple as flying to/from Myanmar via Bangkok (changing airports) can become a practical challenge without some kind of multiple entry visa.

Doing away with 2 and 3 entry visas makes good business sense. Why have a visa that costs 5000 baht and then still sell one that costs 2000 or 3000 baht that can allow almost the same length of stay.

The conditions to get the METV don't make any sense at all. I suspect that was done to get approval from the bureaucrats in the MFA that are resistant to any change. Some of those are starting to melt away when gets down to what is really required. I got info that one honorary consulate has issued them with nothing more than a passport, application form and the fee.

Doing away with 2 and 3 entry visas makes good business sense. Why have a visa that costs 5000 baht and then still sell one that costs 2000 or 3000 baht that can allow almost the same length of stay. The conditions to get the METV don't make any sense at all. I suspect that was done to get approval from the bureaucrats in the MFA that are resistant to any change.

Someone obviously made a decision at some stage and for some reason. The fact that it "don't make any sense at all" does not mean someone did not make it. To me, what you suspect sounds very reasonable.

I think the METV was a great addition even at cost of doing away with double and triple TV.

Its the requirements that made it crazy. Let's hope that these are relaxed over time. Certainly job requirement is crazy. List goes on

The METV makes perfect sense if you're trying to increase the number of visitors/visits from "Visa on Arrival" (not the same as Visa Exempt/Waiver) countries like India & China.

Or encourage people in surrounding countries (e.g Singapore, Malaysia) to visit more.

Or encourage people travelling on multi-month holidays to use Thailand as their base to explore the region, going in & out as often as they like without having to mess around with re-entry permits.

So it makes perfect sense to only allow people to get this visa from a country that they're legally resident in & at the end of the day, if they do attract the people listed above it will more than make-up for the handful of "Tourists" who won't visit because they can no longer get a Double/Triple entry Visa.

Now the number of people who will leave Thailand because they can no longer live there on D/TETVs is a completely different question.

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

I want to be in Thailand for 3 months and with my friends decide where else I want to go during that time.. So I don't know where I will go so I don't have airline tickets for the flights in and out of Thailand.

So I can't get an METV?????

I want to be in Thailand for 3 months and with my friends decide where else I want to go during that time.. So I don't know where I will go so I don't have airline tickets for the flights in and out of Thailand.

So I can't get an METV?????

Then just get a SETV. That will give 60 days that can be extended by 30 days. You can get 2nd/3rd SETV from other countries you visit.

Requirements for the Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

• Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident for the Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

• Your actual passport (must have been valid for at least three months and will not expire within six months from time of travel to and from Thailand and have some blank visa pages) - include a copy of the "picture-page" of the passport

Include a copy of your U.S. Permanent resident card or U.S. visa (not applicable to U.S. passport holders)

• Completed visa application [Download] (all sections must be completed including proposed address in Thailand)

• Two recent passport-type photos

• Bank statement showing a minimum of US$7,000

• Letter from employer verifying employment

• Copy of airline tickets (e-tickets or itinerary showing confirmed flights) - tickets should show multiple entries

• Copy of hotel reservation

• Fee is $200 - payable by cashier's check or money order

Just downloaded this from the LA site.

For individual traveler last 6 months bank statements with min balance 200,000THB

Round trip flight confirmation?reservation at least for first trip

Just downloaded from LA site.

Greetings from Bali by arrival the customs officer told me with a smile I could extend my 2 month visa to up to 180 days easily - live can be so easy and it's a seriously good alternative.

Why did a 'customs officer' tell you about extensions ?

Perhaps you mean an Immigration Officer ?

Hi.

I just received a METV visa. After the first 90 days, I will use a visa service to do a same day out/in visa run.

If my 30 day extension states, “Stay until June 30” Can I do a visa run on July 1st or must it be on (June 1st) or before the extension expires? Will I get fined at the border, one day after the extension expires?

Thanks.

TC.

An "admitted until" date means exactly what it says. I you leave after that date a fine will be imposed at any land boarder.

Overstay is charged at 500 Bht a day but it would be wise to avoid any overstay after the new overstay rules are implemented on March 20.

Hi.

I just received a METV visa. After the first 90 days, I will use a visa service to do a same day out/in visa run.

If my 30 day extension states, “Stay until June 30” Can I do a visa run on July 1st or must it be on (June 1st) or before the extension expires? Will I get fined at the border, one day after the extension expires?

Thanks.

TC.

• You should leave before midnight on June 30th.
  • You'd be fined 500 baht.
  • If you were arrested before reaching the border and prosecuted you could be banned from the country for 5 years under the new overstay rules.

Requirements for the Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

• Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident for the Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (METV)

• Your actual passport (must have been valid for at least three months and will not expire within six months from time of travel to and from Thailand and have some blank visa pages) - include a copy of the "picture-page" of the passport

Include a copy of your U.S. Permanent resident card or U.S. visa (not applicable to U.S. passport holders)

• Completed visa application [Download] (all sections must be completed including proposed address in Thailand)

• Two recent passport-type photos

• Bank statement showing a minimum of US$7,000

• Letter from employer verifying employment

• Copy of airline tickets (e-tickets or itinerary showing confirmed flights) - tickets should show multiple entries

• Copy of hotel reservation

• Fee is $200 - payable by cashier's check or money order

Just downloaded this from the LA site.

For individual traveler last 6 months bank statements with min balance 200,000THB

Round trip flight confirmation?reservation at least for first trip

Just downloaded from LA site.

Good, so now you know the rules and requirements.

That was in a press release.

I hope I do know. I feel I won't know for sure until i try it. I do hope they will let me get the METV so I can use it for both trips this year even though I have no airline reservations except for the first flight. The press release makes it sound doable but not counting my chickens yet.

Will take the download with me.

bkk6060 thanks for your input and help.

• Like 1

First I will admit that I am painfully ignorant on this topic and I'm on this thread trying to catch up. My interest in the topic is to determine if I can stop doing the annual extension of stay for my non imm "O" and do this instead. For the past 2 years and departing within the next 2 months, I have only been in Thailand for 6 months at a time anyway as I'm enjoying the other 6 months in my home country. Here are some points that I am considering -

1. The employment requirement may be dual purpose; In my case preventing me a retiree from applying.

2. The tradeoffs that I need to weigh would be the increased costs of the METV including visa runs, compared to the 90 day reporting and meeting all of the requirements of extension of stay.

3. I assume that it is an unknown how many back to back METVs would be issued

With 54 pages and over 1,300 posts here, I am trying to get right to some input from others who may have gone before me on the strategy. Comments please or pointers to post numbers that cover this.

First I will admit that I am painfully ignorant on this topic and I'm on this thread trying to catch up. My interest in the topic is to determine if I can stop doing the annual extension of stay for my non imm "O" and do this instead. For the past 2 years and departing within the next 2 months, I have only been in Thailand for 6 months at a time anyway as I'm enjoying the other 6 months in my home country. Here are some points that I am considering -

1. The employment requirement may be dual purpose; In my case preventing me a retiree from applying.

2. The tradeoffs that I need to weigh would be the increased costs of the METV including visa runs, compared to the 90 day reporting and meeting all of the requirements of extension of stay.

With 54 pages and over 1,300 posts here, I am trying to get right to some input from others who may have gone before me on the strategy. Comments please or pointers to post numbers that cover this.

1. You should still be able to apply as a retiree.
  2. You will need to do a border hop twice (every 60 days) OR two extensions of stay (1,900 baht each) and one border hop. The cost of the border hop will depend on where you live and cross.
  3. Unknown at this time.

You could also consider a non 'O-A' multi entry visa. It costs the same as the METV but can, with planning and maybe a re-entry permit (1,000 baht), last you nearly 2 years. You would need to show a certified income equal to 65K pm OR 800K in the bank on the day you apply OR a combination of the two when applying at the Thai Embassy in your home country. No border hops or extensions required during your 6 months in Thailand.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

If you apply in Los Angeles you can be retired.

Since the METV has only existed for less than 4 months, I guess no one knows how many of them over time will be issued to the same person.

But, it sounds to me like your current situation is better w/o the need to leave every 60 days.