The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Final question......the UK consulate has provided me a letter, headed paper signed etc stating it was an error. Is it worth me trying Jomtien first before i head to Bangkok?

Immigration cannot change the visa since they do not issue them. It can only be done where it was issued or by the MFA department of consular affairs,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, monkeymind said:

Well yes, but I didn't want to make the long trip all the way to the Embassy without having the right documentation because I fly out in less than 10 days. 

Can anyone else help with these questions please?

1.  Im sure every online bank has a monthly bank statement that you can print out that shows the balance of that month which should be enough proof.

2.It really depends on the embassy you apply in.  I was able to get a METV without employment verification in Chicago.  Some dont care about employment verification as long as you show bank statements of $7000 USD so its not really a question anybody can answer for you.  Its really a matter of talking to the front desk employees at the embassy you step in.

Edited by Basoon
  • Like 1

Immigration cannot change the visa since they do not issue them. It can only be done where it was issued or by the MFA department of consular affairs,

Ubonjoe, i called the department of consular affairs, and they said come and see them. Address appears to be below. Do you agree?
4b3bd97e13909f126f262b94517751b0.jpg

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/organize/19719-ที่ตั้งแผนที่-โทรศัพท์-อีเมล์.html

As its near Don Muang airport, i was planning to get a bus there from Pattaya and getting a taxi to the MFA. Good plan?

4 minutes ago, nickmanchester2 said:

A lady in the UK consulate told me that when I exited using my METV, I would have to spend 48 hours out of the country each time before re-entry - if this true?

I will be going to Koh Kong border Cambodia but would prefer not to spend 2 days there.

There no such requirement. You only have to leave long enough to cross the border, enter the other country, then turnaround and come back.

Sounds like the Liverpool consulate.

That is the correct location. 
You could also go on the bus to Mochit and take a Taxi from there. No 50 baht fee for the taxi from there like there is at the airport.

Mission accomplished. 2nd floor MFA window 105. Very helpful no drama, changed date and added additional stamp disclosure/text, no charge. Got there at 9am out by 10. I think the letter from the UK Thai consulate made it drama free. Thanks Ubonjoe for the info.

On 19 October 2016 at 2:21 PM, monkeymind said:

Hi.

I have 2 questions please:

1. I want to apply for the METV, but I can only get a print out of my bank statement WITHOUT an official stamp from the bank, because it's an online bank only, they don't have branches. The print out shows the required funds for the last 6 months, and I have a fax header from my bank stating that I hold an account with them, but I can't get an official bank stamp. Will this be accepted by the visa office?

2. I have my self-employment self-assessment form for 2015, but not for 2016 because I haven't submitted it yet. Will this be acceptable to the visa office?

Thank you for the help.

I just thought I'd update everyone in case it was helpful. I obtained my METV,  the London embassy accepted my self assessment form from 2014-15. 

Regarding the online bank statements that had no address pertaining to me, and had no official bank stamp on them, I decided it wasn't worth taking the risk because I fly very soon. So I ended up getting a stamped print out of my ISA account at my Building Society who were infinitely more helpful than my bank. At the desk, they DID check that my statement had an official bank stamp, so I guess this is definitely a requirement.

Thanks for the assistance. 

heh heh, I dont want to name names, but thanks for the quick reply as ever ubonjoe.

Might be wrong but I think this just highlights that the Consulates can only quote you the rules as they're given to them. If however youre learning that many people 'on the ground' are experiencing differently then I guess you have to hope that you will get the same treatment

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

On 8/6/2016 at 2:42 AM, BritTim said:

First, make sure you understand the difference between:

• SETV (single entry tourist visa) issued by a Thai consulate outside Thailand: allows a 60-day entry, extendable by a further 30 days without leaving Thailand
  • Visa on arrival, available to a few nationalities who are not qualified for visa exempt entries, and issued at the airport and a few land borders on entry into Thailand: allows a 15-day entry and is not extendable
  • Visa exempt entry, available to nationals of most rich nations, allowing entry without a visa. This allows a 30-day entry (only 15 days if entering by land and not from a G7 country) extendable by a further 30 days without leaving Thailand

The METV provides a lot of flexibility. With few limitations, you can travel freely in and out of Thailand during the validity of the visa without any worries. Visa exempt entries are convenient, but, if you use too many of them, immigration may give you problems. For tourists, multiple SETVs may not be convenient. They require you to go to cities with Thai consulates, and to be there for some number of working days. If, for instance, you wished to go to Siem Reap for a few days and return to Thailand, arranging a visa for your return might be tricky. In practice, even some cities with Thai consulates (such as Kuala Lumpur and Singapore) might well refuse to issue you an SETV which can throw your travel plans into chaos.

In summary, you can have an extended vacation in Thailand and surrounding countries without, but an METV provides peace of mind.

BritTim and others - Thanks for the info in this thread and generously sharing your knowledge.

I've read a lot, but still have questions and would be grateful if you could bear with me and help me.

My situation:

USA citizen living in the USA. Will be making my first trip to Thailand, exploring it with a view towards moving there permanently.

Planning about 3 months in Thailand, also quick visits to neighboring countries just in case something grabs me in one as an alternative.

Then returning to USA, closing out there, and moving to Thailand on a 1 year retirement visa.

A few questions:

1) " Visa exempt entry, available to nationals of most rich nations, allowing entry without a visa. This allows a 30-day entry (only 15 days if entering by land and not from a G7 country) extendable by a further 30 days without leaving Thailand "

Is this still accurate?

Can I go in and out of Thailand during that period?

This would be ideal for me, as I don't have a definite itinerary and could explore for a region or city I'd like to live in, then if I'm near a border go to a neighboring country for a few days or a few weeks possibly, reenter Thailand, and then hopefully after the 60 days do a border run or visit another neighbor country for a few days, then hopefully reenter Thailand  for another 30 days (total of 90 in Thailand).

One reason I ask is that I called the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles today and mentioned that plan to the operator (I didn't know who she was at first but she asked me what my questions are).

When I described entering Visa Exempt for 30 days, then renewing within Thailand for another 30, she said "That depends on what the people there decide (if it will be allowed), making it sound very iffy.

I know someone stated in this thread that Embassy employees often give bad advice so perhaps she just isn't as aware.

2) That Consulate states re a SETV:

" Validity of visa
The validity of the visa is 90 days for a single entry visa (enter within 90 days from when the visa is issued)..."

This is probably what you have referred to as the visa which allows one 60 days and then can be renewed for 30 more?

($40)

" In summary, you can have an extended vacation in Thailand and surrounding countries without, but an METV provides peace of mind."

In my case, the SETV would give me exactly what you mention - the peace of mind of knowing I'm good for 90 days.

But only 1 entry, so I couldn't visit a neighboring country during the 90 period  which I would be able to do if  Visa exempt (if I understand correctly).

I'd prefer the SETV to the METV, as the requirements/paperwork for the SETV are minimal and it's much cheaper.

http://thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=32

3) I've read a lot in this forum but haven't found anyone mentioning the following:

" 1 copy of airline ticket (confirmed onward ticket – showing flights into and out of Thailand. Either paper ticket or confirmed e-ticket is acceptable. Itinerary is NOT accepted."

Is a paid for ticket with open return from Bangkok acceptable, or does there have to be a specific return date?

If there does have to be a specific return date - Many people in these threads are interested in entering Thailand and then extending their Visas with multiple renewals, etc.

Are all of these travelers buying a return ticket for 30 days or 60 days later to satisfy Thai Immigration, then upon entering the country canceling the date of the return and paying whatever extra charges the airline will add on for changing the return date, and leaving the return open?

If not, what are people doing? (Since in many cases people aren't sure how long they'll be able to extend before being red stamped, etc.).

4) The METV mentions " • Copy of hotel reservation " but the SETV doesn't (perhaps omitted by mistake?).

But if it was required, would it be acceptable if I simply had a hotel reservation for my arrival night and nothing beyond that? (I prefer to look at the hotel and room in person before paying).

Thanks again for anyone who can help me with this and offer info/advice.

Edited by JimmyJ

6 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

BritTim and others - Thanks for the info in this thread and generously sharing your knowledge.

I've read a lot, but still have questions and would be grateful if you could bear with me and help me.

My situation:

USA citizen living in the USA. Will be making my first trip to Thailand, exploring it with a view towards moving there permanently.

Planning about 3 months in Thailand, also quick visits to neighboring countries just in case something grabs me in one as an alternative.

Then returning to USA, closing out there, and moving to Thailand on a 1 year retirement visa.

A few questions:

1) " Visa exempt entry, available to nationals of most rich nations, allowing entry without a visa. This allows a 30-day entry (only 15 days if entering by land and not from a G7 country) extendable by a further 30 days without leaving Thailand "

Is this still accurate?

Can I go in and out of Thailand during that period?

This would be ideal for me, as I don't have a definite itinerary and could explore for a region or city I'd like to live in, then if I'm near a border go to a neighboring country for a few days or a few weeks possibly, reenter Thailand, and then hopefully after the 60 days do a border run or visit another neighbor country for a few days, then hopefully reenter Thailand  for another 30 days (total of 90 in Thailand).

One reason I ask is that I called the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles today and mentioned that plan to the operator (I didn't know who she was at first but she asked me what my questions are).

When I described entering Visa Exempt for 30 days, then renewing within Thailand for another 30, she said "That depends on what the people there decide (if it will be allowed), making it sound very iffy.

I know someone stated in this thread that Embassy employees often give bad advice so perhaps she just isn't as aware.

2) That Consulate states re a SETV:

" Validity of visa
The validity of the visa is 90 days for a single entry visa (enter within 90 days from when the visa is issued)..."

This is probably what you have referred to as the visa which allows one 60 days and then can be renewed for 30 more?

($40)

" In summary, you can have an extended vacation in Thailand and surrounding countries without, but an METV provides peace of mind."

In my case, the SETV would give me exactly what you mention - the peace of mind of knowing I'm good for 90 days.

But only 1 entry, so I couldn't visit a neighboring country during the 90 period  which I would be able to do if  Visa exempt (if I understand correctly).

I'd prefer the SETV to the METV, as the requirements/paperwork for the SETV are minimal and it's much cheaper.

http://thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=32

3) I've read a lot in this forum but haven't found anyone mentioning the following:

" 1 copy of airline ticket (confirmed onward ticket – showing flights into and out of Thailand. Either paper ticket or confirmed e-ticket is acceptable. Itinerary is NOT accepted."

Is a paid for ticket with open return from Bangkok acceptable, or does there have to be a specific return date?

If there does have to be a specific return date - Many people in these threads are interested in entering Thailand and then extending their Visas with multiple renewals, etc.

Are all of these travelers buying a return ticket for 30 days or 60 days later to satisfy Thai Immigration, then upon entering the country canceling the date of the return and paying whatever extra charges the airline will add on for changing the return date, and leaving the return open?

If not, what are people doing? (Since in many cases people aren't sure how long they'll be able to extend before being red stamped, etc.).

4) The METV mentions " • Copy of hotel reservation " but the SETV doesn't (perhaps omitted by mistake?).

But if it was required, would it be acceptable if I simply had a hotel reservation for my arrival night and nothing beyond that? (I prefer to look at the hotel and room in person before paying).

Thanks again for anyone who can help me with this and offer info/advice.

Good questions, and you are right to ensure you have a full understanding of the facts before making decisions. First, to simplify, your easiest solution which will work fine in your case is:

• Get an SETV in the US for your first entry. The main reason for this is that it avoids any questions about onward flight tickets.
  • For all other border hops during your trip use visa exempt entries. The neighboring countries can provide visa on arrival, and your return visa exempt to Thailand will not be a problem. The only exception is that any trip to Myanmar should be by air. Most land borders with Myanmar do not conveniently facilitate trips that involve return visa exempt.

Now, to deal with your questions:

1. Yes, visa exempt entries in your case will be no problem. There has been a crackdown on people using frequent visa exempt entries for purposes of living here. It does not apply in your case.
  2. The 90-day validity period for SETVs refers to the time between when the visa is issued and the last date on which it can be used to enter Thailand (the Enter before date on the visa). Regardless of when you enter between those two dates, you will receive an initial 60-day entry. Yes, it only allows a single entry. In theory, you can get a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand that allows you to return with this single entry intact, but you will almost certainly find visa exempt entries more convenient.
  3. Consulates around the world vary in what they require to issue an SETV. Applying in the US, they will not require onward flight tickets.
  4. For METV, there are much more stringent requirements. As with flight tickets, they will not be required for an SETV application in the US.

Enjoy your trip!

7 minutes ago, Elkski said:

But on this site it says SETV requires both in and out  flights. 

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

4. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation , showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)

That is not unusual for a embassy or consulate want that . Many want to to see a ticket out of the country. It can be a one way to a nearby country  There is no requirement for it to be a return ticket.

For airlines and immigration it is not required.

Hey all!

Im sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but with all this outdated information flying around, I wanted to make sure. Since August, I have a multiple entry tourist visa (Tourist (TR)- mehrfache Einreisen) from the thai embassy in Berlin. Since I want to avoid doing a visa run, I have heard that I can extent my 60 days stay in the country by 30 by going to the Immigration buero and paying a fee of about 2000 THB. Is this correct or do I absolutly have to leave the country every 60 days? And do I need to bring any documents to the Immigration office in Bangkok if an extension is in fact possible? Thank you for your time, this whole thing is very confusing to me and I'm glad there are people willing to help.

13 minutes ago, William Navidson said:

Hey all!

Im sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but with all this outdated information flying around, I wanted to make sure. Since August, I have a multiple entry tourist visa (Tourist (TR)- mehrfache Einreisen) from the thai embassy in Berlin. Since I want to avoid doing a visa run, I have heard that I can extent my 60 days stay in the country by 30 by going to the Immigration buero and paying a fee of about 2000 THB. Is this correct or do I absolutly have to leave the country every 60 days? And do I need to bring any documents to the Immigration office in Bangkok if an extension is in fact possible? Thank you for your time, this whole thing is very confusing to me and I'm glad there are people willing to help.

You can apply for a 30 day extension at any immigration office if you have a local address to put on the form for a fee of 1900 baht.

You will need a completed TM7 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached to it. You passport and a copy it's photo page. Copies of visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

Be sure you pay attention to the enter before date on the visa and be sure you do an entry on or before that date to get the last entry you can get from it.

• Like 2

Example... If you come in on a SETV, so 60 days ....you then have to leave country unexpectedly e.g. bereavement, assume visa expiry date still valid for your re-entry? And also assume you can't reclaim your ' lost' days. So therefore you may need to apply for a new SETV for the return?

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum, but how certain is it that you can get a 60-day stamp if you do a border run just before your METV expires? 

Mine expires on Nov 26th (issued in Canada) and I'm trying to weigh the relative merits of extending it at Chaeng Wattana for 30 days or doing a border run to Poipet about a week before the 26th in the hope of getting a 60-day stamp that will allow me to stay until late January.  Is this like a 90+% proposition or can some immigration officers only give you a 30-day, or ....less?

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, ultramarine said:

I apologize if this has been covered ad nauseum, but how certain is it that you can get a 60-day stamp if you do a border run just before your METV expires? 

Mine expires on Nov 26th (issued in Canada) and I'm trying to weigh the relative merits of extending it at Chaeng Wattana for 30 days or doing a border run to Poipet about a week before the 26th in the hope of getting a 60-day stamp that will allow me to stay until late January.  Is this like a 90+% proposition or can some immigration officers only give you a 30-day, or ....less?

Thanks.

100% certainty that you get a new 60 days stamp when you re-enter on the 26th.

16 minutes ago, ultramarine said:

Thanks.

As long as the IO has no reason to deny you entry you are entitled to another 60 day permit to stay, and there is no reason, as long as the visa hasn't expired, that you wouldn't be granted permission to stay for 60 days.

If you were allowed to enter on the visa before, it is difficult to construct a set of circumstances where you would be denied entry on it again if you enter before it expires. Arrive at the border sober, and not looking like a drug addict or mentally disturbed individual. You will be fine.

My METV expires Dec. 6 (from Canada).  If I re-enter Thailand again AFTER Dec 6 will there be any issues of re-entry if I re-enter again on Dec 16 (from Canada) and Jan 4 (from Cambodia)?  I guess my concern is Thailand looking at me doing multiple entries again right after my METV expired.

Thanks for all your help.

2 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

My METV expires Dec. 6 (from Canada).  If I re-enter Thailand again AFTER Dec 6 will there be any issues of re-entry if I re-enter again on Dec 16 (from Canada) and Jan 4 (from Cambodia)?  I guess my concern is Thailand looking at me doing multiple entries again right after my METV expired.

Thanks for all your help.

After the enter before date shown on you visa  you will not get a new 60 day entry. You would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days.

If you plan staying longer you should get a new METV while you are in Canada.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you were allowed to enter on the visa before, it is difficult to construct a set of circumstances where you would be denied entry on it again if you enter before it expires. Arrive at the border sober, and not looking like a drug addict or mentally disturbed individual. You will be fine.

Thanks, mate. Yes, there is no reason for me to be denied. 

Glad to sort that out.  I will probably not leave it to the last day just for peace of mind.  Maybe three days before just in case.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

After the enter before date shown on you visa  you will not get a new 60 day entry. You would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry that can be extended for 30 days.

If you plan staying longer you should get a new METV while you are in Canada.

Thank you Joe.  After these stays I plan on going back to Canada until Summer then will get a new METV before returning.

Will Thai immigration give me a difficult time re-entering Thailand twice right after my METV expires?

1 minute ago, AlexCanada said:

Thank you Joe.  After these stays I plan on going back to Canada until Summer then will get a new METV before returning.

Will Thai immigration give me a difficult time re-entering Thailand twice right after my METV expires?

They only count visa exempt entries towards being able to do one. Unless you have done several visa exempt entries you will not have a problem doing 2 of them.

• Like 1

Have there been any reports of either METV's issued with no problems or alternatively questions asked at foreign embassies and consulates when applicants apply for a second METV? Since they have been available for approximately a year now, there must be some people going for a second one.

• Like 1