The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

The Honorary Thai Consulate Portland, Oregon only states that:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

(and) The Portland Consulate is not able to issue visas to the following passport holders:

Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, North Korea, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Algeria, Yemen, Nigeria, Cuba, Palestine, China, Cambodia and Vietnam. You are required to submit visa applications to the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulates-General New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. No exceptions.

who cares? , just go to Vientiane and ask for a single visa. repeat the process every 3 months until they kick you out. you can probably stay 18 months. go to Philippine for a 2 weeks hollydays then fly back to Bangkok and get a single entry visa in Savanahket. repeat process every 3 months until the embassy kick you out.

You won't get kicked out - just refused entry - that is the problem with your system

No. Never heard of people who got entry refused with valid visa. I guess you mean visa exempt entries.

1. Do I need a departure ticket within 90 days to apply or do I also need it for every single depature i plan to make? I tried both mailing and calling the embassy in Sweden but they dont answer, and the phone is disconnected (LOL)

2. With this multiple visa can I enter thailand how many times i want? So i can go to cambodia every week and then always get 60 days upon arrival within the 6 months period?

From the Thai embassy in Sweden:

Multiple Entry Tourist Visa

8. A copy of flight reservation showing the applicant’s name as well as arrival and departure dates (Please check whether your arrival date in Thailand is within 6 months from the date of issue. The validity of visa is 6 months from the date of issue.)

Edited by mmmarcus

Thanks for the report, I'll be applying in Australia then, much cheaper flights. No need to ever go home after all.

Thats still a big ask though :

BKK-Mel-BKK 20 000 Baht

METV 5000 Baht

Australian visa + five days living expenses in Australia + three Thai Visa extensions and leaving Thailand twice .

About 1000 GBP for a 9 month stay in Thailand

Might be able to get it for more like 14000 Baht return on Airasia.

Processing time is 2 business days.

zQGIBBq.png

Beats a 12 hour flight back to the cold UK for ~25000.

To add to above comment i find it absurd.

If australian consulate is happy to issue an metv to say a uk national,then why not the Vientaine consulate (as an example) provide metv to foriegn national.

The most likely reason is because they want to make it harder for those living/working in Thailand to get a visa locally. Making people travel/go home helps, at the very least, to deter that group.

It's made things easier for me, now I can get the equivalent of a triple entry tourist visa without going home. Many nationalities didn't even have triples available in their countries, now they just pop over to Oz for a holiday.

1. Do I need a departure ticket within 90 days to apply or do I also need it for every single depature i plan to make? I tried both mailing and calling the embassy in Sweden but they dont answer, and the phone is disconnected (LOL)

2. With this multiple visa can I enter thailand how many times i want? So i can go to cambodia every week and then always get 60 days upon arrival within the 6 months period?

1. Just one ticket.

2. Yes.

• Like 1

1. Just one ticket.

2. Yes.

You may be right but with mine I needed to show multiple entries so I showed 3 flights. Fortunately, I have status with my airline no fee to cancel.

Maybe even a bus ticket might work?

Edited by bkk6060

^ In the past there were limits or uncertainties as to how many consecutive double and triple entries one could get, one was never 100% sure if they'd be approved or rejected. METVs most likely don't have that problem as they already ask for the bank statements, and they'll be able to read them (Vientiane struggled to verify foreign documents).

So debatably, METVs are streamlining things for digital nomads looking to stay longterm, because they remove the uncertainty. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

^ In the past there were limits or uncertainties as to how many consecutive double and triple entries one could get, one was never 100% sure if they'd be approved or rejected. METVs most likely don't have that problem as they already ask for the bank statements, and they'll be able to read them (Vientiane struggled to verify foreign documents).

So debatably, METVs are streamlining things for digital nomads looking to stay longterm, because they remove the uncertainty. Just my opinion.

Tourist visas have never had an overall limit and that, so far, hasn't changed. But it's very likely that embassies/consulates will continue to apply their own limits, including METV's.

Although you believe someone living/working in Thailand for 5 years should be considered a tourist I doubt the Thai authorities would agree. Bank statements are just to prove someone can afford their stay, but this change doesn't guarantee multiple back to back applications will be accepted, so the uncertainty still exists.

1. Just one ticket.

2. Yes.

Ok, thank you! So does the depature have to be within 90 days or 60 days? (I know i can extend 30 days at the immigration, but technically the visa is just for 60 days)

Edited by mmmarcus

1. Just one ticket.

2. Yes.

Ok, thank you! So does the depature have to be within 90 days or 60 days? (I know i can extend 30 days at the immigration, but technically the visa is just for 60 days)

I don't think anyone will be able to give you a definitive answer.

According to the Stockholm website you need flight reservations for every arrival and departure. However, you are not obligated to exit/enter multiple times. The visa is valid for entries for 6 months and you could enter only once or many times. So I don't see how they can insist on more than one confirmed arrival/departure.

I would guess that they would let you have a reservation for departures dated 90 days after arrival, but the only way you can know for sure is to contact the embassy.

If australian consulate is happy to issue an metv to say a uk national,then why not the Vientaine consulate (as an example) provide metv to foriegn national.

The most likely reason is because they want to make it harder for those living/working in Thailand to get a visa locally. Making people travel/go home helps, at the very least, to deter that group.

There are many simple options to deter people from trying to live and work here even if that work was internet gig. The current rules does not exclude that. The change with the METV was a silly attempt.

Off the top of head how about any of.....'..

Have a mandatory time out of country between setv or metv.

OR limit number of days per calender year one can spend in thailand on setv and other visa. Clearly not non imm O.

Kindergarten attempt. Mind you typical.

• Like 1

1. Just one ticket.

2. Yes.

According to the Stockholm website you need flight reservations for every arrival and departure. However, you are not obligated to exit/enter multiple times. The visa is valid for entries for 6 months and you could enter only once or many times. So I don't see how they can insist on more than one confirmed arrival/departure.

I would guess that they would let you have a reservation for departures dated 90 days after arrival, but the only way you can know for sure is to contact the embassy.

Well I guess they could say no to a multple entry visa if I dont show mutiple entries. They could tell me to get a normal single entry one. Because there is "no need" for a mutiple one.

Well I guess they could say no to a multple entry visa if I dont show mutiple entries. They could tell me to get a normal single entry one. Because there is "no need" for a mutiple one.

That is very possible.

There are many simple options to deter people from trying to live and work here even if that work was internet gig. The current rules does not exclude that. The change with the METV was a silly attempt.

Off the top of head how about any of.....'..

Have a mandatory time out of country between setv or metv.

OR limit number of days per calender year one can spend in thailand on setv and other visa. Clearly not non imm O.

Kindergarten attempt. Mind you typical.

I agree there are other ways but I think you miss the point. Those illegally working here that are being targeted probably cannot afford to chase around SEA getting SETV's, so limiting the local source will undoubtedly have the desired effect.

Hello does anyone know if the £5000 proof of funds to obtain the multiple entry visa has to be in your bank for 6 months before you can get this visa? I have the funds in my savings but they have only been there a month and I plan to go to Thailand April may time.

Also do I need letters from my employer?

Any advise would be great thanks

Hello does anyone know if the £5000 proof of funds to obtain the multiple entry visa has to be in your bank for 6 months before you can get this visa? I have the funds in my savings but they have only been there a month and I plan to go to Thailand April may time.

What is your nationality and which country will you be applying in?

It's still too early to know from reports what is and isn't acceptable so the best advice is to call the embassy or a consulate and ask.

Hello, has anyone managed to get a METV from Paris, France yet? Any reports? Can you apply for it if on a monthly disability pension? Can the 5000Euros on bank account for 6 consecutive months be on a savings account or only acceptable on a current account? Paris Thai Embassy doesn't answer questions and METV wasn't available yet when I left for Thailand this time around. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

With the receipt for your work permit application and a sheaf of documents supplied by your prospective employer, you can go to the Thai consulate in a neighbouring country, get a single-entry non-B visa, return to Thailand, and pick up the work permit when it is ready.

• Like 1

what to do if I am unemployed and my husband has his own business ? we have required money however we dont know what to do with employment?

Also consulate requires return ticket for at least first trip to thailand - so is it enough to have next ticket to vietnam and not back to our home country? Thank you very much for your help

Edited by 2sigi3

what to do if I am unemployed and my husband has his own business ? we have required money however we dont know what to do with employment?

Some consulates have written they'll accept a copy of self assessment / company registration in that case.

l3LT4vt.png

Also consulate requires return ticket for at least first trip to thailand - so is it enough to have next ticket to vietnam and not back to our home country? Thank you very much for your help

Most consulate websites I've read are happy with just one outward ticket to anywhere, for the first entry, i.e. within the first 60 days.

Search Google for the consulate in your country.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

You are getting off topic here. Better start a new topic and state clearly what you mean when you say that your husband has his own business, eg work permit, extension of stay for employment.

I mean for METV you need Proof of employment from the employer - I am unemployed and my husband has company so what to do in this case