The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

There are no employment letters, proof of cash in the bank or any of the other "requirements" I'm reading about here.

Thanks for the post, I also think other countries will follow Canada and Australia's lead on that front, with time.

So really the METV is not about 'making people go home' or 'stopping perpetual tourists / digital nomads' as people speculated at the start of this thread.

it's just about making sure people have a bit of cash to support their stay, which seems fine to me.

Yes I agree. It makes a lot of sense. But if someone has no money, it doesn't.

Can a UK passport holder apply in Australia or do they only accept applications from Australians/residents? It appears from the previous posting that non residents can apply. If someone could confirm i would be grateful.

It is interesting how there are different rules in different places.

It looks to me you are right if you hold an Australian Visa, you can apply.

To make sure you could email them and ask.

I have found they do usually respond to question within 24 hours.

You will need to be a resident or citizen of the country you are applying for the metv. Im an australian. If currently in say usa i could not obtain for metv,just because i might have a visa for usa. Reverse also applies. Exactly the same as neighbouring countries to thailand. Laos springs to mind.

This Toronto application form doesn't even mention the bank statements requirement, only seems to require a flight booking for at least the first entry.

http://www.thaiconsulatetoronto.com/documents/Visa_Application_Form.pdf

It says:

- Holders of non-Canadian passports may be required to provide further information such as Flight Itineraries, PR cards, visa papers or bank statements. Please contact us to confirm the requirements for your nationality

who cares? , just go to Vientiane and ask for a single visa. repeat the process every 3 months until they kick you out. you can probably stay 18 months. go to Philippine for a 2 weeks hollydays then fly back to Bangkok and get a single entry visa in Savanahket. repeat process every 3 months until the embassy kick you out.

Edited by papayasalad

who cares? , just go to Vientiane and ask for a single visa. repeat the process every 3 months until they kick you out. you can probably stay 18 months. go to Philippine for a 2 weeks hollydays then fly back to Bangkok and get a single entry visa in Savanahket. repeat process every 3 months until the embassy kick you out.

Up to you -- some people prefer to go through life without being kicked out of anywhere, anytime.

• Like 2

Hi there

I have the 6 months multiple entry visa. I got in Canada. When I went thru immigration at the airport, the immigration officer did not ask a single question, not even my finances. Cool!

If I want to stay longer than 6months, will i need to do a visa run ever 60days by air or by land will do? Or I need to return to canada?

thx:)

Hi there

I have the 6 months multiple entry visa. I got in Canada. When I went thru immigration at the airport, the immigration officer did not ask a single question, not even my finances. Cool!

If I want to stay longer than 6months, will i need to do a visa run ever 60days by air or by land will do? Or I need to return to canada?

thx:)

The visa only allows a 60 day entry that can be extended by 30 days at immigration. You can do your entries by land, sea or air after going to anywhere you want to.

You can get almost 9 months of total stay by doing an entry on or before the enter before date on the visa and then extending it for 30 days.

• Like 1

I guess the $8,000 requirement is a problem for some.

But, I asked about this and was told it can be a checking account, savings, or stock account. Or combination.

Stock account - do they mean in the cash management account sitting there earning a pathetic 2% or less interest, or at least 8k invested in the sharemarket? Surely anyone with a brain who is trading wouldn't plan to keep 8k sitting in a cash management account buy those funds would go in & out often as they trade the markets.

Wonder if they will accept the 8k if it's sitting in a trust account or company account which you control?

• Like 1

I guess the $8,000 requirement is a problem for some.

But, I asked about this and was told it can be a checking account, savings, or stock account. Or combination.

Stock account - do they mean in the cash management account sitting there earning a pathetic 2% or less interest, or at least 8k invested in the sharemarket? Surely anyone with a brain who is trading wouldn't plan to keep 8k sitting in a cash management account buy those funds would go in & out often as they trade the markets.

Wonder if they will accept the 8k if it's sitting in a trust account or company account which you control?

why not ask them: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/Contact

Just arrived today with my METV at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Everything is fine. Many other peoples had to show their (return?)-ticket at the immigration counter. May be they entered without a visa? I didn't got asked for that.

Just arrived today with my METV at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Everything is fine. Many other peoples had to show their (return?)-ticket at the immigration counter. May be they entered without a visa? I didn't got asked for that.

Bit confused. You entered with a valid visa. What would they question you about or anyone else with a valid visa.

Bit confused. You entered with a valid visa. What would they question you about or anyone else with a valid visa.
Nothing. I only said, many others got asked for their flight ticket but not me. I only wonder about the reason. People's who doesn't enter with a visa?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

As for posts about required funds. I took my super statement and clearly stating any or all of the funds could be withdrawn. This was at Melbourne thai consulate. They said where is your bank account. Note the balance in the super was over 500k. Note also this was not for METV. Not convinced a "stock account" will cut it. Happy for in out from someone that has obtained METV using stock market assets as satisfying requirement.

Edited by jacksam

I was asked this many times by my departure airline in the USA. One time in BKK.

On just my passport 30 days. They want to see if you have a return ticket or exit strategy within that time frame.

Edited by bkk6060

As for posts about required funds. I took my super statement and clearly stating any or all of the funds could be withdrawn. This was at Melbourne thai consulate. They said where is your bank account. Note the balance in the super was over 500k. Note also this was not for METV. Not convinced a "stock account" will cut it. Happy for in out from someone that has obtained METV using stock market assets as satisfying requirement.

So if you have 500K in a super-account, what should be the big deal to take out 8K and stick it in an account that readily provides a BANK STATEMENT as on the Canberra METV application form as you will still have 492K in your super-account? At least you do not have to put it in a Thai Bank account as is required for extension of stay at Thai Immigration.

So if you have 500K in a super-account, what should be the big deal to take out 8K and stick it in an account that readily provides a BANK STATEMENT as on the Canberra METV application form as you will still have 492K in your super-account? At least you do not have to put it in a Thai Bank account as is required for extension of stay at Thai Immigration.

You can't just take out super money anytime you wish! There are laws around this & big fines for people who think they can just take money from a SMSF & use it as personal funds. Unless you mean you have your super with someone who manages it & then transfer 8k out into a SMSF bank account? But I don't think they would accept 8k in an SMSF bank account.

Edited by bbi1

You can't just take out super money anytime you wish! There are laws around this & big fines for people who think they can just take money from a SMSF & use it as personal funds. Unless you mean you have your super with someone who manages it & then transfer 8k out into a SMSF bank account? But I don't think they would accept 8k in an SMSF bank account.

Maybe that's why on the Canberra METV application it says "BANK STATEMENT or evidence of adequate finances in the past six months with a minimum balance of 8,000 AUD ... " but if your money is locked in a super-fund then that is not 8,000 AUD available for you to spend on your months+ in Thailand, is it?

The people handling these applications are back-office clerks looking for an an Australian BANK STATEMENT (their caps) or with an 'adequate finances' check-list -- they are not forensic accountants.

Edited by JLCrab

Just received reply from Thai Embassy Canberra. Here is relevant text;

EvidenceofadequatefinanceshowingnolessthanAUD$8,000OR200,000Baht(if

Thai bank account) as follows:
- Official Bank statement, issued within the last 6 months
AND/OR
- Official credit card statement issued within the last 6 months, illustrating the current

balance and credit card limit.

So i read it if you have sufficient credit on Credit Card you should be A OK. This is a lot more sensible IMO and lot easier for me and many others. Also note says" within" last 6 months, not for last 6 months as many have implied. Maybe a rare moment of the not so common common sense.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

- Official Bank statement, issued within the last 6 months AND/OR

- Official credit card statement issued within the last 6 months, illustrating the current

So i read it if you have sufficient credit on Credit Card you should be A OK. This is a lot more sensible IMO and lot easier for me and many others. Also note says" within" last 6 months, not for last 6 months as many have implied. Maybe a rare moment of the not so common common sense.

Hope this helps.

As highlighted in the bold above, it says BVank statement AND/OR Official credit card statement so I guess they may be reserving the right to ask for both else they would not include the AND.

If they allow credit cards then no problem. Most credit cards there days are 20k USD up. Most folk with credit card clear debt every month. So good option. As for my comments about super fund, I was referring to people that are retired and have reach "preservation age" in that situation you can withdraw as much as you want unless there is a preserved component. In any event in most cases it a lot of money. The metv is perfect for many people. Including the grey nomads. Mind you they don't have a job, but are loaded.

• Like 1

Well, whatever the METV requirements are in USA or elsewhere, when I go back to USA following SongKran 2016, I will be opening a no-fee, no-minimum balance, small initial deposit savings account specifically for the possibility that, down the road, the METV may make better sense for me than maintaining an extension of stay via retirement although I see no indication that will any time soon be the case.

Brain wave. Deposit 8k for what. This is stupid notion of financing a trip. My and so many other people have what's called line of credit. Not talking about credit cards.

The world today is have assets/debt. Money in bank is appropriate for those with very little.

• Like 1

Brain wave. Deposit 8k for what. This is stupid notion of financing a trip. My and so many other people have what's called line of credit. Not talking about credit cards.

The world today is have assets/debt. Money in bank is appropriate for those with very little.

Deposit 8k AUD (7K $US) for what? Simple. Whether I have any of those other financial resources or not, that's what it now says on the US Thai Consulates/Embassy websites is required to get an METV.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

- Official Bank statement, issued within the last 6 months AND/OR

Hope this helps.

As highlighted in the bold above, it says BVank statement AND/OR Official credit card statement so I guess they may be reserving the right to ask for both else they would not include the AND.

There are a number of ways it could be interpreted. One could suppose that they want to check money in the bank is going to continue to be available, and not about to be gobbled up by a huge credit card bill. However, the common sense meaning IMHO i that could can use the combination, if desired, to show availability of funds. That is, half as cash in bank and half via a line of credit would be accepted.

I strongly suspect this is an area that will vary greatly from one consulate to another.

So what they are really saying is that they might ask for a bank STATEMENT or credit card or a combination of both or anything else that we as 'competent' Thai officials deem necessary and sufficient on an individual case by case basis. Of course, if you just give them a bank STATEMENT with the 8K AUD, all that is moot but some just like to be "smarter than the average bear".

smarter-than1.jpg