The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Why don't you email them and ask. I did this here in the US and they got back two different times within 24 hours.

See Post (as of now) #912 -- while you're at it, ask them if my monthly royalty statement from my share in a South African palladium mine would be sufficient.

Brain wave. Deposit 8k for what. This is stupid notion of financing a trip. My and so many other people have what's called line of credit. Not talking about credit cards.

The world today is have assets/debt. Money in bank is appropriate for those with very little.

Bit of a simplistic view don't you think as it depends on your age, financial goals & appetite to risk.

I follow an old adage that says keep (at least) 6 months money "In the Bank" to cover any emergencies as I don't want to be in a position where I'm having to "fire sale" any of my assets should something crop up.

Realistically how much money could you (with minimum risk) make from £8,000? Say 3% pa (£240) before tax?

Why don't you email them and ask. I did this here in the US and they got back two different times within 24 hours.

See Post (as of now) #912 -- while you're at it, ask them if my monthly royalty statement from my share in a South African palladium mine would be sufficient.

Good idea.

Do you have more then 16 ounces?

If so you qualify!!!!! smile.png

Edited by bkk6060

Good idea.

Do you have more then 16 ounces?

If so you qualify!!!!! smile.png

Thanks -- I like to keep life simple so I'll just show'em the bank statement palladium notwithstanding.

Just received reply from Thai Embassy Canberra. Here is relevant text;

EvidenceofadequatefinanceshowingnolessthanAUD$8,000OR200,000Baht(if

Thai bank account) as follows:

- Official Bank statement, issued within the last 6 months AND/OR

- Official credit card statement issued within the last 6 months, illustrating the current

balance and credit card limit.

So i read it if you have sufficient credit on Credit Card you should be A OK. This is a lot more sensible IMO and lot easier for me and many others. Also note says" within" last 6 months, not for last 6 months as many have implied. Maybe a rare moment of the not so common common sense.

Hope this helps.

As highlighted in the bold above, it says BVank statement AND/OR Official credit card statement so I guess they may be reserving the right to ask for both else they would not include the AND.

There are a number of ways it could be interpreted. One could suppose that they want to check money in the bank is going to continue to be available, and not about to be gobbled up by a huge credit card bill. However, the common sense meaning IMHO i that could can use the combination, if desired, to show availability of funds. That is, half as cash in bank and half via a line of credit would be accepted.

I strongly suspect this is an area that will vary greatly from one consulate to another.

Applying for a METV from Hobart consulate

The website has conditions for Documents Required, which does not mention any financial documents required.

I gave them a phone call, and they were very helpful

They said they will require proof of funds in a bank account of $7-8000AUD

No big deal, but worth knowing

• Like 1

Lucky you! I emailed Sydney with a questions more than a year ago. Still awaiting an email response.....And Sydney isn't even a busy consulate lol.

Hi, I've search through the forum for an updated confirmation of:

Entering into Bangkok Airports as tourist within the period of 30 days, but wasn't able to find anything.

Does anyone know if I can enter into Bangkok e.g. this weekend and then again in 3 weeks time without any problems.

I remember at some point immigration has imposed a rule about you couldn't .

I hope someone can assist . Thank you beforehand - a lot.

Cheers,

I am here on my METV.

The immigration officer asked me if i had proof of my hotel booking which I had wrtten down on the entry card. I told her politely No, but I had the phone number and she could call to confirm. She said nothing back.

She then asked me if I had proof I would be leaving within 60 days. Fortunately, I had booked a miles ticket(which I can cancel with no fee) in March showing a return back home. I showed her my printout for that flight.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was surprised also. It was Suvarnaboom.

Last year I came 7 times. On the 7th time at DMK, they told me I needed to get a Visa next time. I have never overstayed.

So here I am thinking it would be easy now with the Visa.

I guess my suggestion is to be prepared with hotel and exit strategy because you never know.

Edited by bkk6060

Makes me wonder what training the immigration officers were given on the multiple-entry tourist visa.

'Immigration officials have increased checks of tourists arriving at several border points, demanding details on their trips here. One regular traveller from Laos told The Nation recently that officials demanded a thorough examination of her passport, as well as particulars of her temporary stays in the country. "They asked me to write complete information concerning the hotels I would use as well as phone numbers - something that has never happened before," Pathumrat Saisanit said. This closer scrutiny and inspection is part of the measures launched by Immigration Police to weed out foreign criminals.'
Seems they're hyper-suspicious of everyone lately, no matter the background or visa.
The article mentions they've 'turned on an advanced screening system before passengers arrive', you'd think measures like that would be enough without having to interrogate every tourist for hotel phone numbers and slow down the queues at passport control.
  • Like 1

I am an old white dude from USA who likes adult Thai ladies.

Maybe they thought I looked like an old pervert. :)

Also, things did seem much slower through immigration. Longer lines and more interaction with the officers.

On the other side of this, if it does help to keep out some undesirables I guess I don't have a problem with it.

Just a quick trip report.

Am a British citizen and applied for a METV at Melbourne consulate. They asked for bank statement (I gave them copy of Thai bank account) and a copy of return leg of flight ticket BKK-MEL-BKK. That was it, submitted passport on Monday morning, picked up new visa on Wednesday.

• Like 2

Just a quick trip report.

Am a British citizen and applied for a METV at Melbourne consulate. They asked for bank statement (I gave them copy of Thai bank account) and a copy of return leg of flight ticket BKK-MEL-BKK. That was it, submitted passport on Monday morning, picked up new visa on Wednesday.

do you have work visa for Australia, or the right to live there?

Just to be clear, it was your British passport you used?

Cheers

JW

Cheers

JW

Just a normal Brit on a short holiday in Melbourne.

I printed out my e-visitor certificate but they were not interested in it.

The only thing they appear to be interested in is that you can show money and flight ticket. That's it end of story.

Thanks for the report that confirms what is shown on the list of requirements. Just a valid entry to Australia that they can see in your passport.

Cheers

JW

The only thing they appear to be interested in is that you can show money and flight ticket. That's it end of story.

Which is exactly what is specified on the Australia 'Form A' Tourist Application form for those who are citizens of countries that qualify for Form A especially if application is submitted in person:

If applying for Multiple Entry Tourist VISA, AN ITINERARY or PERSONAL STATEMENT showing the date of SECOND ENTRY and A BANK STATEMENT or evidence of adequate finances in the past six months with a minimum balance of$8,000.00 AUD AND ... (their Caps)

who cares? , just go to Vientiane and ask for a single visa. repeat the process every 3 months until they kick you out. you can probably stay 18 months. go to Philippine for a 2 weeks hollydays then fly back to Bangkok and get a single entry visa in Savanahket. repeat process every 3 months until the embassy kick you out.

You won't get kicked out - just refused entry - that is the problem with your system

Thanks for the report, I'll be applying in Australia then, much cheaper flights. No need to ever go home after all.

Thats still a big ask though :

BKK-Mel-BKK 20 000 Baht

METV 5000 Baht

Australian visa + five days living expenses in Australia + three Thai Visa extensions and leaving Thailand twice .

About 1000 GBP for a 9 month stay in Thailand

• Like 1

Cheers

JW

Thanks for the report that confirms what is shown on the list of requirements. Just a valid entry to Australia that they can see in your passport.

Is this the first report of a non national or resident obtaining an METV in a foriegn country? Has there been a report of any other consulate in any country providing metv for people not residing or having passport for that particular country. Is melbourne australia the odd one out?

Cheers

JW

Is this the first report of a non national or resident obtaining an METV in a foriegn country? Has there been a report of any other consulate in any country providing metv for people not residing or having passport for that particular country. Is melbourne australia the odd one out?

I have not seen any reports of one being done other than this one. The requirements on the embassy websites in the US and Canada appear to have the same option.

I don't think Melbourne will be the only place doing them in Australia. The embassy website states the same thing that Melbourne accepted.

Form here the Perth consulate would probably be the least costly place to travel to..

To add to above comment i find it absurd.

If australian consulate is happy to issue an metv to say a uk national,then why not the Vientaine consulate (as an example) provide metv to foriegn national.

The most likely reason is because they want to make it harder for those living/working in Thailand to get a visa locally. Making people travel/go home helps, at the very least, to deter that group.

• Like 1