The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Maybe a new line of business for those same folks who will 'arrange' for you to have 800K or 400K in a Thai bank account for extensions of stay. As for Vientiane, I haven't been there in 10 years but there are always reports that Vientiane will not do this but Savannakhet will, or Savannakhet won't but Vientiane will, so who's to say?

Given that MFA reads this, it might be a good idea not to mention all the work around their new regulation, launched less than a week ago?

Face thing is taken seriously here.

• Like 1

Maybe a new line of business for those same folks who will 'arrange' for you to have 800K or 400K in a Thai bank account for extensions of stay. As for Vientiane, I haven't been there in 10 years but there are always reports that Vientiane will not do this but Savannakhet will, or Savannakhet won't but Vientiane will, so who's to say?

Given that MFA reads this, it might be a good idea not to mention all the work around their new regulation, launched less than a week ago?

I see -- but saying everyone knows those folks in Vientiane never enforce MFA regulations is OK?

I thought this was a forum & any non relevant facts are deleted.

For hard facts the Thai Embassy website has the requirements for each country.

Then if any questions or doubts ask, then sure Ubonjoe or 2 others that are competent will answer.

There are no hard facts yet - no report directly from a recipient or denied-recipient. This is "why" - there are posted-requirements, and then there is speculation on how to meet those requirements.

The applied "policy" on other visa-types vary by consulate, therefore many pertinent questions that affect the practical availability of this visa. The discussions were, IMO, worthwhile, but have been discussed to-death. Going forward, I would suggest we stick to 1st hand reports of success/failure and relayed-statements from consulate-personnel as to what they will accept.

Ahahah ....Please everyone refer to my previous posts when I said Vientiane never enforced what they wrote on website. Apologies are in order....

You and others - but can we wait until we get one first-hand report? A visa-run agency is not an impartial source.

Ssshhhhh!!!

I'm waiting for the hard facts to come in.

Good Morning. It's confirmed. Customers of a Visa-Run who drove Sunday to Vientiane got their METV Yesterday. With that i mean, Foreigners with no permanent resident in Laos.

I'm sure, soon someone will confirm this. I got this information from my Visa agent in Pattaya. Just 2 Minutes ago. I call this Good News.

What about the proof of funds?

Yes, this is important; They ask for 200 000 baht in a Thai Bank Account and Hotel Booking or Condo Rental Contract or something similar. So, take your updated Bankbook with you. That's all. My Visa Agent is quite stressed. Obviously plenty of people call to ask the same questions.

So if this is true, as long as you have some money in the bank to support yourself and can prove where you are living (both reasonable requirements IMO) you can get a METV in Laos, which if you time your last entry carefully and use a 30 day extention after that you can get almost 9 months in Thailand, not only 6 months like from the old DETV from Laos?

Does not affect me personally because I have a reason to go back to my home country for a visit every year or so but it is intresting how a few days ago the METV was going to be the end of long stays in Thailand for those with an independant income, no wife and under 50 years old and now if this report is confirmed we might be better off smile.png

Good Morning. It's confirmed. Customers of a Visa-Run who drove Sunday to Vientiane got their METV Yesterday. With that i mean, Foreigners with no permanent resident in Laos.

I'm sure, soon someone will confirm this. I got this information from my Visa agent in Pattaya. Just 2 Minutes ago. I call this Good News.

Yes, this is important; They ask for 200 000 baht in a Thai Bank Account and Hotel Booking or Condo Rental Contract or something similar. So, take your updated Bankbook with you. That's all. My Visa Agent is quite stressed. Obviously plenty of people call to ask the same questions.

Could you try to get a copy of the visa, blank out the name and post it here, PLEASE.

• Like 2

I see -- but saying everyone knows those folks in Vientiane never enforce MFA regulations is OK?

That was hardly a mystery. Everyone knew that Vientiane never asked for 20k (even though it was on their website)

Beside we are talking embassies, ambassador's policies, not some dodgy agent.

Could you try to get a copy of the visa, blank out the name and post it here, PLEASE.

This would be great. Sure. But my time is running out. And i don't want bother my agent anymore. Soon i take the taxi to go to the Airport.

• Like 1

That was hardly a mystery. Everyone knew that Vientiane never asked for 20k (even though it was on their website)

... and the bank-accounts-to-go folks advertise on ThaiVisa. That isn't a mystery either.

This would be great. Sure. But my time is running out. And i don't want bother my agent anymore. Soon i take the taxi to go to the Airport.

Have a safe trip and a happy cold winter :)

• Like 1

... and the bank-accounts-to-go folks advertise on ThaiVisa. That isn't a mystery either.

OK I give up.

You are right, an embassy equals a dodgy agent...

Can we stop talking about it?

You're the one who felt was deserving of an apology. As for me -- if you can just run up to Vientiane and get an METV, from the concluding lines to The Untouchables:

Scoop: Mr. Ness, word is they're going to repeal Prohibition. What'll you do then?
Elliott Ness: I think I'll have a drink.
BTW The biggest plum I've seen so far is that the Portland OR Honorary Consulate still has 7000 baht, yes baht, bank statement required for US Passport holders. Whether it will be there tomorrow , who knows.
Edited by JLCrab

I see the "20k not asked" argument again and again, but it's nothing special to Vientiane IMHO. I think that most Thai embassies & consulates (if not all) never asked for this proof of money. The real requirement - I think - is to have these 20k (or a card) when you enter in Thailand.

• Like 1

I see the "20k not asked" argument again and again, but it's nothing special to Vientiane IMHO. I think that most Thai embassies & consulates (if not all) never asked for this proof of money. The real requirement - I think - is to have these 20k (or a card) when you enter in Thailand.

Never said it was specific to Vientiane.

I was called "delusional" "trying to clutch to fake hopes" when I was saying Vientiane announcement should not be taken to the letter.

So for the record : I told you so.

Ahhh it's good to be right.

About the 200k required, you think that in terms of proof, they will accept a copy of the bank book or do you need to show the real book?..

I generally keep my "real" money in europe.

If only a copy of the thai bankbook.. Well.. Life will be a little easier..

Edited by hawkeye76
  • Like 1

About the 200k required, you think that in terms of proof, they will accept a copy of the bank book or do you need to show the real book?..

I generally keep my "real" money in europe.

If only a copy of the thai bankbook.. Well.. Life will be a little easier..

False Alarm

Frenzied 'unbooking' of minivans ongoing I guess.

Maybe all will be enforced everywhere for a time then slowly some relaxing will happen, 'maybe' I said.

What that time frame will be, who knows?

Exactly - the visa-run service wanted to get a few more bookings. When you get there:

"Sorry, just SETV after all. Nothing we can do about it. We swear they really did it last week, though."

Of course, no refund from the visa-run service. This is why I asked to see proof / 1st hand account before jumping on the "hooray" bandwagon - though I admit I had my fingers crossed.

If leaving money to "season" somewhere, to meet the METV conditions, I would at least like to have it in the right nation-state's bank, based on where I need to apply. So can we stick to reports of actual people who received, applied to receive, or at least contacted Consulate personnel and got first-hand info? Thanks.

• Like 2

Exactly - the visa-run service wanted to get a few more bookings. When you get there:

"Sorry, just SETV after all. Nothing we can do about it. We swear they really did it last week, though."

Of course, no refund from the visa-run service. This is why I asked to see proof / 1st hand account before jumping on the "hooray" bandwagon - though I admit I had my fingers crossed.

If leaving money to "season" somewhere, to meet the METV conditions, I would at least like to have it in the right nation-state's bank, based on where I need to apply. So can we stick to reports of actual people who received, applied to receive, or at least contacted Consulate personnel and got first-hand info? Thanks.

1/ Visa run companies usually rely on trust from customers,who will come back to them precisely because there is that relation of trust. Lying to fill up a few more seats is not a good strategy, especially with candidates to long term staying. They will resort to a serie of SETV,so coming more often than previously with doubles (ie more business for them), before they'll find another solution.

2/ If Vientiane is issuing METV to farangs, and departing from MFA wishes less than a week after METV launch, it is unlikely they boast about it over the phone.

• Like 1

Hey I'm

Confused with METV rules. I live in Melbourne I want to apply for multiple entry but I'm not sure of my departure date from Thailand I might stay up to six months ?? do I still need to purchase a return ticket as I'm not sure when I will be leaving Thailand ..and if I book a return ticket and change dates the airline charges me extra fees

Hey I'm

Confused with METV rules. I live in Melbourne I want to apply for multiple entry but I'm not sure of my departure date from Thailand I might stay up to six months ?? do I still need to purchase a return ticket as I'm not sure when I will be leaving Thailand ..and if I book a return ticket and change dates the airline charges me extra fees

If you come on a one way ticket, you could book a flight on AirAsia to a neighboring country such as to Malaysia, Vietnam etc and put the flight out in 4-6 months. The best would be if you give them a phone call and tell them that you are not sure of your outbound flight and what they would suggest.

Hey I'm

The embassy website only shows a ticket for your first and 2nd entries. From: http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

"

• A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of your first and second entry into Thailand within the validity period of visa;

You could buy a one way ticket to the country from a nearby country to satisfy the 2nd one. Or perhaps a round trip and use it to start your 2nd entry.

You might want to contact the consulate in Melbourne to find out their requirements. Their website has no info about the METV: http://www.thaiconsulatemelbourne.com/

• Like 2

however, someone living permanently in a country is not on holiday and if they are working for any entity they break the terms of the visa and the law that granted it.

If that entity isn't resident in Thailand you can't say for sure if they're breaking any laws or not. Visa terms stating 'employment prohibited' haven't been explicitly defined as including offshore entities.

You are one of those small print guys, aren't you. The reason why corporations found it necessary to define every term to it's nth degree, why coffee which is logically served hot has to be labeled so? There are always chancers in life, looking for a free ride; self labeled 'rogue', 'rebel' and 'scoundrel' (the romantic descriptors usually applied) but bloodsucker is way more apt...

Back on topic then - I came across this thread which gives a clue as to who the METV is really aimed at: [Link]

• Like 2

<deleted>. Sorry guys. I did only forward what my visa office said. Normally they were very reliable. So, please don't kill the messenger. I sit in the same boat.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

No worries

At least your trying to bring actual info, to the best of your knowledge, to this forum, which is more than most people do here.

• Like 2