Nervous about going to Thailand

ninjanate

A little background:

My parents are both Thai and moved to the US in the 70s. I'm American born and raised. I like muh guns, whiskey, country music, craft beers, and V8s.

So...farang in the head. I can speak Thai, but was never formally educated/trained in Thai, so I probably have an American accent and there's a lot of words I don't understand (not having heard them).

I used to go to Thailand almost every summer with parents until 1996. I have not been to Thailand in my adult life.

Going next week with coworkers. All of them are white.

I'm a bit nervous about:

1.) Getting around. I heard everyone's trying to scam you over there. Are taxis trust worthy? I'd like to get around without paying an arm and a leg.

2.) There's foreigner prices (which I'll probably have to pay unless my cousins or aunts/uncles are around). How hard am I going to get hit on prices for mundane things?

3.) I heard drug use and crime have spiked. I'm a 6ft guy and can do muay thai, but I don't want trouble or to be stabbed. Is the crime as bad as I hear? Are pickpockets rampant in Bangkok / Chang Mai / Phuket?

I'm excited to see the country again after so many years.

I'm a bit sad to hear about the changes. Good and bad.

I only remember the Thailand from my memories as a child spending them in the rice fields in my dad's family's farms in Nakon Sawan, and my mother's family in Ranong. I have fond memories of riding behind my grandmothers' motorcycles and meeting all their friends and neighbors who were all pretty friendly and quirky.

I miss old Thai memories I guess. Hopefully it hasn't turned into a money grubbing place. Here's to hoping :(

Don't worry. It's nowhere near as bad as you fear. Like everywhere, there's the odd bad apple, but on the whole it's fine.

Most taxis are fine - at worst you might get the odd one that doesn't want to use the meter, but just get out and find one that will. You're unlikely to get overcharged for everyday items. Nobody I know has ever been stabbed or pickpocketed here in Bangkok.

You read to many jaded posts in forums like this, Thailand is fine, number 1 tourist destination in the world, prices are low but cater to all budgets, you want to party and eat like a rock star then you will pay the rock star price, want to hang out in seedy areas watch your back and wallet other wise its safe and sound.

There isn't an easier place to get around I'm surprised your not aware of it, trains planes and cars and for the places not on the lines vans.

Bit of good common sense goes along way do we need to really spell it out for you?

1. Nearly 100% of taxis won't try to scam you if you speak to them in Thai.

2. Foreigner prices really only exist at national parks and in tourist areas. You look Thai and speak some Thai so I don't think they'll be applied to you.

3. Reading the news you can get a bad impression of anywhere. The reality is I haven't noticed nor experienced any crime increases or really anything bad happening. My impression is that a lot of crime is confined to certain areas of the cities.

You'll probably be scammed a bit, but that's part of travel. And it won't be much, if it happens at all. As an American, you aren't use to negotiating. Start practicing. With transport, always get a price before you get in.

The biggest problems you'll have will be late in the night, and after drinking. Be careful then and you'll be fine.

Thailand is an extremely easy, and safe, country for tourists. Come on over and have fun!

Any ideas as to what you guys want to do and see? Not many V8's over here. LOL. And whiskey is expensive. The good stuff anyway. Bring a few bottles with you. Import taxes here are terrible.

With transport, always get a price before you get in.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Where the taxi has a meter, you should insist they use it, rather than agreeing to a set price which will likely be overinflated.

Agreed. But the only place I've seen metered taxis (when they agree to use them) is in Bangkok! LOL

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Where the taxi has a meter, you should insist they use it, rather than agreeing to a set price which will likely be overinflated.

Agreed. But the only place I've seen metered taxis (when they agree to use them) is in Bangkok! LOL

Which is one of the places the OP mentions. So suggesting they always agree a price beforehand is bad advice.

Never get into a Bangkok Taxi and ask "How much to XXXX?'...the quote will invariable be in the drivers favor. The only exception to this is when going a very long distance...like from Bangkok to Pattaya. This does not apply to non-metered public conveyances such as Tuk-Tuks and moto taxis. With those, determine the price beforehand.

I have a Thai female friend who lived in the US for 25 years and recently returned to Thailand. Her Thai frequently gets discombobulated and she gets funny looks and sometimes rude remarks. She finds the hardest part is not thinking like a Thai in casual conversation...not knowing the common vernacular and idioms and mannerisms.

She also gets frustrated by the constant awareness of social standing in how Thais address one another and how unbelievably snobby, dismissive and rude Thais can be to whoever they consider to be an inferior. She said she hates having to be constantly on her guard not to address colleagues at her workplace too informally as they easily get their noses out of joint.

Which is one of the places the OP mentions. So suggesting they always agree a price beforehand is bad advice.

Let's not argue about this, but I've was in Bangkok recently and my Thai wife was unable to find a taxi that would use a meter. Negotiating was our only option. Luckily, we know the rates, so got a good fare. After many failed attempts. I won't wait a long time just to find a metered taxi, especially when I know what the fare is. Tourists won't, but sometimes you just don't have an option.

And worst case, you're out a few extra dollars.

P.S. this was late at night in lower Suk. A problem area.

I live in Bangkok, and I can't remember when I last encountered a taxi that wouldn't use the meter.

My advice would be to never agree a fixed price with a taxi in Bangkok. If you do happen to somehow find yourself in a 'problem area', just walk a short distance down the street. Also, never use the taxis that hang around outside hotels or tourist sites - always flag down a moving one with the light on.

Well, I can guarantee you, it's a common thing. Maybe you don't try around the major tourist areas late at night? We go on a regular basis for music, thus leave relatively late. Happens every time we try. But never in the day time. Except at the bus stations! LOL I lived in Bangkok for quite some time also, same with my wife, and many of her relatives are taxi drivers.

This has been widely reported in the news, not just by me. Back to the topic, please.

I live in Bangkok, and I can't remember when I last encountered a taxi that wouldn't use the meter.

Ask to be taken to one of the airports and nine out of ten will refuse a metered fare.

Not in my experience. Never been refused the meter on a trip either to or from the airport.

No wonder the OP gets the impression the whole place is out to rip him off when people are posting stuff like this.

Ask to be taken to one of the airports and nine out of ten will refuse a metered fare.

Not in my experience. Never been refused the meter on a trip either to or from the airport.

No wonder the OP gets the impression the whole place is out to rip him off when people are posting stuff like this.

As you live in Bangkok, you probably do not use the airports as much as someone who lives elsewhere in Thailand, but makes numerous trips there annually.

My figures quoted, nine out of ten refusals, are 100% correct in my experience.

The cost, time and fuel, of returning to the city empty makes the trip less lucrative than short trips within the city. FACT.

As you live in Bangkok, you probably do not use the airports as much as someone who lives elsewhere in Thailand, but makes numerous trips there annually.

I make numerous trips elsewhere annually instead. Plus I go there to greet visitors. I go the airport quite often. Like I said, not once have they refused the meter.

I really don't understand how some people seem to have so much trouble with taxi drivers.

As the OP is able to speak Thai, I don't think he'll have any problems. Lets not scare the guy off with over the top negativity.

It is they who have the problem.

Flag one down, tell him your destination and say 'meter'.

He will give one of two answers, YES or NO.

If YES, job sorted, everyone is content.

If NO, look for the next one.

I do not have a problem, but the taxi driver is the one with the attitude.

I'm really surprised so many people have trouble with taxis. I can understand if you're a tourist, but everyone I know who lives here, including myself, opens the taxi tour says something to the effect of bpai ______ mai krup and then the driver uses the meter. Of course at nana you might get guys trying to charge you too much, but they always do this before you get in if you ask them to go to a destination.

I'm really surprised so many people have trouble with taxis. I can understand if you're a tourist, but everyone I know who lives here, including myself, opens the taxi tour says something to the effect of bpai ______ mai krup and then the driver uses the meter. Of course at nana you might get guys trying to charge you too much, but they always do this before you get in if you ask them to go to a destination.

Indeed. I was surprised to hear anyone say they tell the driver to use the meter - it's a given that they will.

Perhaps we could continue this here rather than drag this further off-topic.

(Mods - apologies if linking to another thread is poor form)

My advice would be to never agree a fixed price with a taxi in Bangkok. If you do happen to somehow find yourself in a 'problem area', just walk a short distance down the street. Also, never use the taxis that hang around outside hotels or tourist sites - always flag down a moving one with the light on.

In touristic places, for example Sukhumvit Soi 11, they sometimes refuse to use the meter, especially at night.

I experienced it myself, and my parents have as well (several times Silom).

To the young man who wants to come to Thailand......... In Bangkok I never ever use a taxi. There is a 21st century Sky Train and underground network that is cheap fast and airconditioned.

Ignore all the crapolla about taxi meters and agreeing prices etc..... On the very odd occassion I have used a taxi some have had the meter on some not. At the end of the day the cost of the trip was buttons compared what I would pay in the UK for a 1/4 of the distance.

Get yourself over here the sooner the better - you could be like me - I came for 2 weeks and have based myself self here for 11 years.

Thailand is the land of convenience. Everything comes to you and you barey have to go the width of a street to get anything else you need.

7/11s are everywhere, mega modern shopping malls, more food outlets and choice in one block than some towns in other countres have in a whole town.

"Nervous about going to Thailand"

Are you sure you were reading about Thailand? All the things you're worrying about sound more like what some people write about New Jersey or Texas or LA or New York or Miami or ...

Edited by Suradit69

All good points so far..

One major point: Don't bother getting into arguments of principle... a far better response to any situation is to stay calm, smile and if you can walk away and seek alternative arrangements.

The single best piece of advice on here, along with don't make any male Thai lose face especially if he has been drinking...

As long as you remember this, plus being able to speak Thai you will have a great time. You will also find that as soon as your outside of the tourist areas into the countryside, nothing much has changed from your memories...

.........I have a Thai female friend who lived in the US for 25 years and recently returned to Thailand. Her Thai frequently gets discombobulated and she gets funny looks and sometimes rude remarks. She finds the hardest part is not thinking like a Thai in casual conversation...not knowing the common vernacular and idioms and mannerisms.

She also gets frustrated by the constant awareness of social standing in how Thais address one another and how unbelievably snobby, dismissive and rude Thais can be to whoever they consider to be an inferior. She said she hates having to be constantly on her guard not to address colleagues at her workplace too informally as they easily get their noses out of joint. .......

I would love someone to start a thread about this , how middle class Thais treat other middle class Thais,

I never lived in the "office worker" world so I am sure a lot of it goes over my head ,

But if I am doing something STUPID in Thailand and no Thai would tell me as they would lose face how will I ever learn ?

Edited by BKKdreaming