Do you have trouble with Bangkok taxis?

SoiBiker

Whenever the subject of taxis in Bangkok comes up, it seems there are some people who have a great deal of difficulty using them. I find this rather strange, as I very rarely have any problem with taxi drivers - I can't remember the last time one refused to use the meter, and only on rare occasions do they decline to take me where I want to go.

I'm curious to get to the bottom of this - it seems odd that some people have no trouble at all and others seem to constantly run into difficulty. Is there some factor common to those who have these problems?

So, if you find you regularly struggle to get a taxi, could you give us some details? Where are you getting them from? What do you say to the driver? Are you alone or with someone? Any particular time of day?

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that you know very well what the problem is with those who complain so vehemently about taxis. Most of them are inveterate complainers, and exaggerators, about everything Thai. The common factor is TBS (Thai Bashing Syndrome).

You'll probably find that you also don't suffer nearly as much from, for example, "police harassment and extortion" in the Thonglor area as these same people when that tired old topic is dragged up.

I rarely visit Bangkok, maybe 3-4 times a year.

Every time I get a Taxi from Mochit, I have to remind the driver to turn the meter on.

One occasion, the driver claimed an issue with the car, pulled over, and just stood smoking a cigarrette.,After 5 minutes, I got out, paid him what was on the meter, hailed another, no problem, as we drove off, he closed the bonnet and also drove off.

Last visit to Chinatown, I waited and was refused by 15 taxi's in a row that didnt want to take me "on the meter" wanted higher one off payment, but mostly that didnt want the journey from Chinatown to Suhkumvit. They stopped, open the window asked where, when told, they just drove off.

Thats my experience of Bangkok drivers, and nothing much has changed for as long as I can remember. Its a lottery in my opinion, depending on time of day and where you are going from/to. Some good some bad, unfortunately my experience is mostly bad. The good a refreshing change and I always tip those guys well.

quite often had problems with them I live a bit outside BKK, but here they are ok. But once in the center of BKK its a totally different story. Plenty of problems there mainly not wanting to go to the destination or when out in the tourist area's not wanting to turn on their meters. Good reason to have my own transportation. I was that fed up with it.

quite often had problems with them I live a bit outside BKK, but here they are ok. But once in the center of BKK its a totally different story. Plenty of problems there mainly not wanting to go to the destination or when out in the tourist area's not wanting to turn on their meters. Good reason to have my own transportation. I was that fed up with it.

Which destinations, and which tourist areas, though?

Which destinations, and which tourist areas, though?

Tourist area's Khao sarn and sukhumvit nana area and around pantip plaza, mochit Destinations all over the place sometimes its too short sometimes too long. Its a frustrating thing to rely on taxi's But sometimes I have to so I changed and now drive my own car or motorbike. I am not making this up. It was quite normal to have to send 6 or more away before finding one.

Sounds like location is a factor here. I've never had a problem getting a taxi from Khao San myself, but then I don't go there all that often. I take them on Sukhumvit all the time without issue, but then I rarely venture much lower down the Sois than 11 or so.

Sounds like location is a factor here. I've never had a problem getting a taxi from Khao San myself, but then I don't go there all that often. I take them on Sukhumvit all the time without issue, but then I rarely venture much lower down the Sois than 11 or so.

Sure it could be location, but many Thais that I know also got frustrated with taxi's and started driving their own car. Its also a hot topic for Thais so its not a farang exclusive deal. Its a fact that taxi drivers refuse a lot of trips and often don't turn on the meter. Why else do you think the Thai police started checking them. That you don't have a problem with your destination is lucky for you but certainly not the norm.

Sure it could be location, but many Thais that I know also got frustrated with taxi's and started driving their own car. Its also a hot topic for Thais so its not a farang exclusive deal. Its a fact that taxi drivers refuse a lot of trips and often don't turn on the meter. Why else do you think the Thai police started checking them. That you don't have a problem with your destination is lucky for you but certainly not the norm.

I don't think I'm just 'lucky', though. I live in Bangkok and use taxis more or less daily. I take them to all sorts of destinations, though, at all times of day, and I hardly ever have a problem. Most people I know here are the same - and many posters on TV say the same thing.

There must be some reason for such a contrast in experiences.

Like I said in the OP, what do you say to the driver? Who are you with? What time?

I don't think I'm just 'lucky', though. I live in Bangkok and use taxis more or less daily. I take them to all sorts of destinations, though, at all times of day, and I hardly ever have a problem. Most people I know here are the same - and many posters on TV say the same thing.

There must be some reason for such a contrast in experiences.

Like I said in the OP, what do you say to the driver? Who are you with? What time?

Look, I don't know if you have followed it but there was a crackdown on taxi drivers refusing to take passengers. It got that bad that they started doing sting operations. This was not because some farang complained but because it is a widespread problem. Now that you feel different is good for you but obviously something is dead wrong otherwise the police and media would never have gotten involved. Do you remember they even launched an app so you could complain about taxi drivers refusing trips.

I have used taxi drivers a lot too just like you with a Thai alone and all times of the day. It does vary a bit through the day but I seldom had it that the first taxi I took was right. That is why I now drive a car or a bike so I don't have to use their unreliable service.

But there are of course also good drivers in general if you avoid the drivers standing still you got a higher chance.

My wife usually handles it and speaks to the driver, although I can and have spoken Thai with them.

The Mochit instances are usually 2pm ish,

Chinatown was 4pm

MBK/shopping areas, makes no difference what time.

last time I was at MBK at the rear, there was Cop pulling in any driver who refused a fare and was ticketed on the spot.

I'm not trying to start an argument about whether its an issue - I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why it seems to be a problem for some people and not others.

The 'sting' operations were at specific locations, weren't they? I vaguely remember MBK being involved.

It certainly does seem like there may be certain places where some drivers feel they might be getting an 'easy mark', so to speak.

My wife usually handles it and speaks to the driver, although I can and have spoken Thai with them.

Chinatown was 4pm

last time I was at MBK at the rear, there was Cop pulling in any driver who refused a fare and was ticketed on the spot.

Ah, thanks - I thought it was MBK I remembered that happening at.

So your experiences have been when with a Thai partner? I wonder if that's been a factor for others too. It's quite rare for me to get a taxi accompanied by a Thai woman.

I never travel without her, so I cant comment, as we are always together. I would "suggest" its probably tourist rich locations and key "ferang spots such as travel hubs like Bus stations/airports/Hotels and the like.

I learned quickly never to take a taxi outside or near the Hotel, we walk out to the main highway, much better average experience that way.

Chinatown was 4pm

Ah, thanks - I thought it was MBK I remembered that happening at.

So your experiences have been when with a Thai partner? I wonder if that's been a factor for others too. It's quite rare for me to get a taxi accompanied by a Thai woman.

I been alone (quite often) and with Thais it really did not make a difference if any it reduced the chances of getting stood up. Mochit for me it was usually during rush hour (can't blame them then though its busy everywhere then).

Khaosarn (any moment of the day it was hard to get a taxi driver to use the meter)

Sukhumvit (usually late at night)

This year. Approx 70-100 taxi rides

By myself;

No problems with the meter. Last month on the way to the airport i was offered a flat rate but i chose the meter. We had a pleasant conversation nevertheless.

Probably 80-90%+ of first taxis would take me where i wanted to go.

Taxi fares between 50-100 baht usually

With Thai person

Late at night some issues when the location was out of the way or peak times. This was more so in Feb/March. July/August very few refusals

80-90% of first hailed taxis would take us.

No problem with using the meter at any stage

Taxi fares 50-150 baht usually

The worst condition taxis were the ones waiting permanently outside Big C on Rama 4. Beat up and run down.

80-90% of drivers were good

People talk about Grabtaxi (and other services). I haven't used it but i can see some advantages at times

One extra remark, havent been using taxi's as much anymore after the problems I had with them. So I have done far less rides with them as usual. Also from my location I have absolutely zero refusals to go to BKK. In and around BKK was more of a problem and going back was also a problem. I always made sure I never went back in rush hour (if I could avoid it). But now when I want to go to BKK, I just take the bike to mochit and a skytrain to where I want or bike towards my end goal or car. Just really hated it that I got refused a lot. Speaking Thai of course with them.

Im still debating if I take a taxi tomorrow to MBK (no parking problems) or take the car (no taxi problems) because friends want to go there.

Statistical variance, some people will get lucky and not have any problems, for hundreds of taxis in a row. Others will get unlucky.

Those who are out late at night in red light spots will encounter it more, which you aren't a fan of so you're more likely to be fine.

Another factor could be people going for stationary taxis. The ones that lie in wait at the end of Khao San, outside Nana plaza, on Soi 11, by Soi 12, Soi 23, Patpong, etc. instead of walking past them and flagging one down.

But even then some moving taxis are the same, driving around in a loop around Nana, Soi 3, Soi 11 and back to Nana only agreeing to flat rates or trips to the nightclubs where they get a commission.

Could be some small differences in whether people are saying the destination in Thai or not, but not much. I don't think being with a Thai makes much difference either.

I always take the BTS to places like MBK. Much quicker.

I have had a few taxi drivers in the past point out that I'd be better off if they just took me to the nearest BTS station and I proceeded to my destination that way. They were right, and I took their advice.

Maybe sometimes they don't want to take passengers on a journey they see as foolish? Not that it's their place to tell you how to get around.

Overall, I'd have to say, in my opinion only, that my average experience has gone up when I look at what my "typical" ride is these days and compared to what it was say in 2005 as example only.

Do I ever get a "no meter" or refuse fare kind of driver? I do. But I must also say that this is far, far uncommon. It just occur (to me at least) with any kind of frequency these days.

On occasion I get a driver whose talkative and with comprehension of Thai. Sometimes I'll ask the driver what it's like these days as opposed to a few years ago.

I tend to hear a fairly consistent answer.. It's harder these days with more police watching and passengers complaining - but what I also heard is that the drivers also believe that if you're doing the job as you're supposed to, that overall it no worse today.

I also do hear that many drivers feel there's too many taxis out there.

Again, this is just a micro sized sample of what I hear, but I tend to agree with the replies.

Time and place has a lot to do with it. I live outside Bangkok and rarely a problem, service is pretty good actually, but...

Pantip Plaza, drivers outside repeatedly refuse customers both Thai and foreign, who want to go somewhere the driver does not want to go, and as for using the meter...

Sukhumvit, taxis waiting for passengers often refuse to use the meter but passing taxis are fine.

Suvanabhumi Airport, you just never know, but much better than a few years ago when complaining drivers who declined to turn on the meter were common if you were going outside of downtown Bangkok.

As always, general rule is flag down a passing taxi rather than one waiting outside any touristy type place.

Just get in, don't open the door to ask if they will go somewhere as this is asking for problems.

If a driver starts complaining, then if possible, calmly ask to stop, get out and on to the next...

We encounter "good guys" and "bad guys" each week.

Some drivers just shake their silly head and drive off when we tell them where we want to go. Some quote an inflated price and refuse to turn on the meter.

Then there are the guys who take you wherever you want to go with a pleasant smile and careful driving.

It is just "luck of the draw" when you hail the taxi.

The two best ever situations were;

(1) we came out of Siam Paragon one evening asking to go back to Silom. Driver demanded 300 baht, Mrs Tucker said you must be joking. His reply was, if you can afford to shop in Paragon you can afford 300 baht!!!! Next driver accepted us with a metered fare and it cost 80 baht.

(2) A Taxi taking us from Sathorn to Sukhumvit was filthy, disgusting and it stank. Mrs Tucker told the driver and he informed her that he had been eating, sleeping and living in the taxi for the last 6 x months!!!!! We paid the fair and immediately got out!

Honestly, if you have to ask the question it's because you rarely use the taxis.

Thai taxi drivers smoke in cars, they are rude, they OFTEN won't take you where you want to go (often citing traffic as a reason, yo, you're in Bangkok! There's traffic you doob), they try to make foreigners pay flat fares and they drive like maniacs.

I'm not saying all, but enough of them to give Thai taxi drivers a bad reputation.

This isn't a matter of complaining for the sake of complaining. This is a well known fact. And all of these are experienced regularly by those of us who choose not to drive in this city.

And if you don't think it's the case then you obviously either don't take many taxis or none of the above bothers you.

Honestly, if you have to ask the question it's because you rarely use the taxis.

Thai taxi drivers smoke in cars, they are rude, they OFTEN won't take you where you want to go (often citing traffic as a reason, yo, you're in Bangkok! There's traffic you doob), they try to make foreigners pay flat fares and they drive like maniacs.

I'm not saying all, but enough of them to give Thai taxi drivers a bad reputation.

This isn't a matter of complaining for the sake of complaining. This is a well known fact. And all of these are experienced regularly by those of us who choose not to drive in this city.

And if you don't think it's the case then you obviously either don't take many taxis or none of the above bothers you.

You obviously haven't read the thread. As I've said, I take taxis most days. I've never had one smoke, very rarely they've declined my destination, and I can't remember when they last refused to use the meter.

To be fair, some of them do drive in a way I wouldn't, but this is Bangkok after all.

Plenty of other people have reported the same kind of experiences as me, so don't assume you're speaking for everyone in Bangkok.

Interesting that you mention traffic, though. I think perhaps one reason I have less trouble is because I live here, I know what the traffic is like, and if I'm aware that a journey is likely to involve a hour sat in a traffic jam, I don't try and do it by taxi.

In general I have no issues with Taxi drivers... Thats because I avoid them wherever possible - Instead choosing to use UBER who pick me up directly from my Apartment in Bangkok instead of me having to walk out to the road flag one down.

I have found that 10% of taxi drivers ruin the reputation of the 90% of good taxi drivers.

My issues with those 10%

- Wont use meter (usually in a tourist area)

- Repeated rejections (usually in a tourist area, Lower Sukhumvit, especially Suk Soi 11 is terrible for this)

- Drive erratically or even dangerously in cases (this does bother me, I have to ask them to slow down and drive more carefully)

- Fart - Their cabs have funky smell (nothing much to say here !)

- Loud irritating music ( I have to apologise as ask them to turn it off or down)

- Drunk Drivers

- Speak rudely (not really a biggie, just sometimes irritating)

- Ask dumb and annoying questions (you like Thai lady, boom boob good hah?)

- Dodgy clonking sound - mechanically unsafe? (some taxi's shouldn't be on the road, especially express way speeds)

With those 10% I don't get upset or take it too seriously... but the 10% possibility of having one of those idiots drive me does persuade me to call UBER rather than take my chances with a Taxi...

On the Positive side the 90% of Taxi drivers who are good, are polite and courteous and I've often had good an informative chats with Taxi drivers.

In conclusion: I wouldn't say I have many issue with taxi drivers. But the issue for me is that if I'm going to take a taxi I know an issue may not be far away....

I live just off Sukhumvit and use taxis regularly, very occasionally a driver doesn't want to take us to our destination, there's normally another nearly behind who's happy to take the fare , I can't remember that last time a driver hasn't automatically switched on his meter.

Like with all of us, some are better drivers than others.

My recent experiences are that Bangkok taxi drivers are refusing to use the meter both departing and going to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Multiple turn downs in both directions. And there is no longer recourse at the departure queue at BKK as taxi assignments are now handled by computer kiosk.

It is honestly not the couple more USD's I have to pay. It is more the condescending attitude and snark smile that comes along with the turn down. I hate with a passion the stupid farang treatment. So from now on I will travel lighter and take the Airport Rail Link and BTS/MRT whenever possible, and any money I save will go to the street beggars or charity.

SunLover

My recent experiences are that Bangkok taxi drivers are refusing to use the meter both departing and going to Suvarnabhumi Airport. Multiple turn downs in both directions. And there is no longer recourse at the departure queue at BKK as taxi assignments are now handled by computer kiosk.

It is honestly not the couple more USD's I have to pay. It is more the condescending attitude and snark smile that comes along with the turn down. I hate with a passion the stupid farang treatment. So from now on I will travel lighter and take the Airport Rail Link and BTS/MRT whenever possible, and any money I save will go to the street beggars or charity.

SunLover

I'm always amazed when people say they have trouble with taxis LEAVING the airport. Is it the 50 baht extra fee that is really the issue? I just never had a taxi refuse to use the meter leaving the airport and I always wonder what is the demeanor of people who always have issues. Are you so wound up just thinking about what " may" happen and approach each taxi driver with a bit of aggression? Or are you just downright grumpy? Do you ever say even a few words in Thai to the driver? I just don't get it. I wish I could see videos of many of the complainers on here when they can't get a taxi to use the meter ( anywhere). My gut feeling is 95% of these videos would show exactly why.

Archived