PM voices condolences, tightens security

rooster59

PM voices condolences, tightens security

BANGKOK: THAILAND yesterday conveyed its condolences and expressed shock and deep sadness over the deadly attacks in Paris on Friday night, which left at least 127 people dead.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha ordered a tightening of security and safety measures at many places including the French Embassy in Bangkok, Deputy Government Spokesman Maj-General Werachon Sukondhapatipak said.

Prayut said: "On behalf of the Royal Thai Government and people of the Kingdom of Thailand, I wish to convey our deepest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families that have been affected by this tragic incident."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with France during this difficult time."

Prayut also ordered the Thai Embassy in Paris to take good care of Thai citizens in France and closely follow the situation in the aftermath of the attacks.

Prayut asked the public not to panic, vowing to ensure that the authorities would provide security. Werachon added that Thailand did not have conflict with any country and the government was willing to cooperate with the international community on anti-terror activities.

Police, meanwhile, were ordered to boost security and safety measures at many places, including foreign embassies and popular tourist venues in wake of the attacks.

Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahatavorn, the acting metropolitan police commissioner, said he had ordered tighter security at many places in Bangkok, including the French Embassy and venues where French nationals gather.

He also asked the public to be the eyes and ears for police on such matters.

Police spokesman Pol General Dejnarong Sutthicharnbancha said immigration police have been ordered to closely monitor people coming into or leaving the country, in a bid to ensure safety in the aftermath of the attacks.

Immigration police chief, Pol Lt-General Natthorn Proesunthorn, has issued an urgent order for police to be on alert and report any suspicious movements.

Dejnarong said police would inspect various sites and monitor the movements of anyone suspicious, especially at tourist sites.

His deputy, Pol Major Piyapan Pingmuang said safety guidelines at foreign embassies and tourist attractions were intact, and intelligence officials had not reported any suspicious movements.

Meanwhile, Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) ordered a security alert at airports in Bangkok in wake of the violence in Paris.

AOT president Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said that flight operations at the main airport in Bangkok continued as usual, but security would be boosted.

He said all airlines would continue services at Suvarnabhumi, including flights to Paris.

As of yesterday, there were no reports of flight cancellations.

AOT tightened security measures after the attacks and asked staff to monitor the situation closely. The frequency of CCTV security checks has also been increased.

The company also increased security measures at Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok by checking all passengers and their luggage, as well as random luggage checking.

The company re-arranged traffic lines, plus parking at the passenger terminal - with cars not allowed to park in front of the terminal. It halted the issuing of any convenience tickets.

AOT has prepared fire engines and trucks in cooperation with all airlines and the Air Operators Certificate.

Charoen Wangananont, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), said the tragedy in France would have a negative impact on tourism because of the high number of fatalities.

He said that 100,000 Thais travel to France every year or 7 per cent of total Thais travelling overseas. Each year, more than 5 million Thais travel abroad and 80 per cent of them travel to Asia.

ATTA has been working with the private sector and authorities over safety and security as the country has faced violence and unrest.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-voices-condolences-tightens-security-30272957.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-15

The silence from muslim leaders is deafening.

It may be that it hasn't been reported, but I'm yet to hear an islamic leader, ANY Islamic leader, protest that this sort of violence is not part of their 'religion', and condemning it.

When people were being beheaded and burnt alive by ISIS pricks, an islamic leader in Australia said he didn't know enough about the organization to comment. For ***** sake!!!

Edited by F4UCorsair

He also added that it was too soon to tell if it was a terrorist attack, but most likely wasn't wink.png

Great job : I often wonder what kind of person skips over something as important as this and tries to get an ultra-cheap political dig in.

Now I know.

I wonder if he actually meant it wasn't the work of organised terrorists - like ISIS or Muslims from the South ... coffee1.gif

"The company also increased security measures at Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok by checking all passengers and their luggage, as well as random luggage checking."

well that is reassuring news. Checking all passengers and their luggage is probably the minimum we should expect from an international airport......

The silence from muslim leaders is deafening.

It may be that it hasn't been reported, but I'm yet to hear an islamic leader, ANY Islamic leader, protest that this sort of violence is not part of their 'religion', and condemning it.

When people were being beheaded and burnt alive by ISIS pricks, an islamic leader in Australia said he didn't know enough about the organization to comment. For ***** sake!!!

I think the king of Saudi did

Prayut said: "On behalf of the Royal Thai Government and people of the Kingdom of Thailand, I wish to convey our deepest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families that have been affected by this tragic incident."

This may be just a 30-year old form letter the Thai military might use for the thousands of victims in the Southern Malay-Thai insurgency.

Thailand will not have a problem with the muslims because they can kill Thai soldiers and civilians but never attack them. Thailand would be easy for the muslims to take over!

Joking or just silly?

Thailand is no soft option. The Moslem insurgents in the South have never significantly extended their operations outside of their own regions. Ask yourself why?

Maybe Burma gives you a clue. Think "Backlash".

European countries are soft in that any response must meet the approval of all the left wing liberal PC do-good brigade. I know of one Canadian who really does blame European countries like France and Britain saying it's all the fault of imperialism. Not only dumb but ignorant of history too. But in the UN circles he lives in he must be seen and heard to be PC. Thailand wouldn't care about being PC, EU Human Rights or anyone else's opinion. Neither will Russia if ISIS poke them like this.

There are two ways to deal with a terrorist organization - negotiate a peaceful solution, as in terrorists who are only interested in changing things in their own country and eradication / extermination as in those who wish to change other countries. ISIS falls into the latter.

He also added that it was too soon to tell if it was a terrorist attack, but most likely wasn't wink.png

Great job : I often wonder what kind of person skips over something as important as this and tries to get an ultra-cheap political dig in.

Now I know.

I wonder if he actually meant it wasn't the work of organised terrorists - like ISIS or Muslims from the South ... coffee1.gif

of course Erwan was not terrorist either and the Junta is supported by all Thais - what's the matter with you? stop making cheap points

RIP Paris

Edited by LannaGuy

Any condolences from the Muslim community??

Not yet - just plenty of tweets celebrating the amount of carnage from totally innocent people.

They just want non-muslims dead. They don't care who.

But I'm sure Spunky is going to tell us it is not about religion.

who are "they"? I guess you are ignorant enough to think ALL muslims want "non-muslims dead"?

Not yet - just plenty of tweets celebrating the amount of carnage from totally innocent people.

They just want non-muslims dead. They don't care who.

But I'm sure Spunky is going to tell us it is not about religion.

who are "they"? I guess you are ignorant enough to think ALL muslims want "non-muslims dead"?

I think "they" have been proving that for a while now, and it's getting worse.

English John is not ignorant, he is just stating a fact.

Edited by possum1931

NO.

Actually yes, and worldwide. Though more needs to be given.

Take the USA, as one example:

Nihad Awad, the executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said "we are revolted by this heinous and despicable attack on civilian populations."

He says the Islamic State group, which claimed responsibility for the attacks that killed at least 129, "does not represent Muslims."

Oussama Jammal of the U.S. Council of Muslim Organizations called on the American Muslim community to hold candlelight vigils to remember the victims.

Imam Johari Abdul-Malik of the Muslim Alliance in North America called on Muslims to "redouble our efforts in vigilance and confronting extremism."

Then...

http://muslimmatters.org/2015/11/14/what-muslims-are-saying-about-the-paris-attacks/

NO.

Actually yes, and worldwide. Though more needs to be given.

Take the USA, as one example:

Nihad Awad, the executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said "we are revolted by this heinous and despicable attack on civilian populations."

He says the Islamic State group, which claimed responsibility for the attacks that killed at least 129, "does not represent Muslims."

Oussama Jammal of the U.S. Council of Muslim Organizations called on the American Muslim community to hold candlelight vigils to remember the victims.

Imam Johari Abdul-Malik of the Muslim Alliance in North America called on Muslims to "redouble our efforts in vigilance and confronting extremism."

Then...

http://muslimmatters.org/2015/11/14/what-muslims-are-saying-about-the-paris-attacks/

OK, so why do they wait until the western countries leaders have their say?

It seems to be only a token gesture on their part, to try and save face.

They are also quick to march in protests when they disagree with something, maybe they will march against ISIS.

We can but hope. France should start an example and start closing their Mosques. one by one.

Could well be an error in transltion. I wouldnt take the wwording literally.

good advice for any announcement by any official in Thailand, or any news report by the Nation.