Outcry after organizers add accidentally 8km to Bangkok half marathon

webfact

I recently had three home projects completed:

1) making two jute rugs

2) making new sheets for bedding

3) re-wiring lamps.

In every single case the measurements were incorrect. When the sheet maker came to check why the fitted sheets wouldn't fit, we measured together, me with my Stanley tape and he with something unknown. Of course his tape varied in measurement to mine. Not quite by the 3 inches he was out, but it was some explanation as to why.

With the wiring I had specified new lampshades aswell, and the shop assistant converted my cm measurements to inches; incorrectly of course. There does seem to be a preference for using inches here, but even that varies given the inexact measuring tools. As noted a few inches or centimetres difference does not seem to be a big deal. I've given up despairing, as it's guaranteed to be different.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I met three lovely ladies last night who took part in yesterday's debacle. They are seasoned athletes who take their running seriously.

Their race plan was as normal, which is based on times.

Well they could not believe it when they thought they were in the last few km's when they would increase their speed. Then to find out they still had to run a further 8 x km's!!!!

Shambles, complete and utter shambles.

Bangkok Half-Marathon Runners Not Grateful for Extra 7K
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14476626401447662677l.jpg
Runners participate in the 2014 Standard Chartered Bangkok Marathon. Photo: National Jogging Association of Thailand / Facebook

BANGKOK — The organizer of the annual Standard Chartered Bangkok Marathon today blamed the national jogging association for adding an extra seven kilometers to Sunday’s half-marathon event.

A furious reaction from runners spilled out on social media, Pantip and elsewhere to throw barbs at the event’s organizers, claiming the 28th outing of the self-proclaimed, world-standard marathon had increased the distance of the half-marathon to 28 kilometers from 21.1 kilometers.

“I am utterly disgusted that a marathon that prides itself and markets itself as one of the best in South East Asia, cannot get the distance right,” wrote the Facebook user David Paul Nicholson on the event page.

Runners said the increased distance could lead to severe injury or worse for the approximately 6,000 runners registered for the event who were not prepared for the longer run.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447662640

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-16

What a bugger, the 300 metres short in the 10Km run cost me first place - because of it I came in 575th -- was get getting ready for the final burst and before knowing it, it was all over.

"was get getting ready for the final burst and before knowing it, it was all over"

Not only in running eh? wink.png

"Standard Chartered BKK Marathon is a world standard athlete sporting event..."

,...but this is how the distances are probably measured:

they ask a motocy taxi driver to drive the course and then they check his odometer,...so far so good, however, now the math problem starts...

time for BKK to bid for the Olympic Games, another world standard sporting event.

I'm sure everything will perfect for the Tour de France, F1 and every other event they claim will be staged here.

Forget the international organisers have said No Way.

They made a bid for the World Free Diving Championships - however the organizers pointed out that the current champions depth is twic the deepest point in the Gulf of Thailand so 'no thanks'.

You can't make this up.....and I have known about this issue for some time.

I have a very good friend who has run in countless Marathons all over the world. 7 times in the Boston and many other ultra races.

He just competed in Sundays run in BKK.

Nearly every marathon or 10k or half marathon he has been involved in over the last 15 years in Thailand has been incorrectly measured.

You just have to see a cashier grab a calculator every time to work out that your change from an 80 baht purchase from a 100 baht note is 20 baht....give me strength..... and this Gov are getting rid of Native English speaking teachers coz they don't have proper visa or Degree....like all Thai teachers are MENSA standard ? - The only reason for that - keep the masses as dumb asses and you rule forever.

If you look it up they made mistakes in the last few half marathons. Signs the wrong way etc. you would hope that the organisers would learn from previous mistakes and get it right. Says a lot about many things here.

Learning from their mistakes is not a Thai trait. To learn from their mistakes, they would have to admit they made a mistake first.

.........How can they learn from their mistakes when in Thai culture you cannot criticise someone directly for a mistake or for doing something wrong......................No one learns....No one improves!

For runners the extra distance for the half marathon could be a serious issue. People train for a specific distance at a specific pace - serious runners will check their pace throughout the run. A half marathon runner will run at a faster pace than the full marathon runner and will be at their limit by the end of the proper distance - so the extra distance could be an issue ...... especially running in heat.

I only do (up to) 10K fun runs - but I know serious runners who do the half and full marathons and an extra 8K is not a small issue from a safety point of view.

From the original article "The route passes through scenic parts of Bangkok’s old town, and tickets for non-Thais run two to three times as much as those for Thai citizens."

SOP for Thai's for everyone from the government (e.g., National Parks, Grand Palace) down to street vendors. Last week I was at Siraraj and wanted to buy two pairs of boxers from a vendor. The price on the sign was 69 baht per pair. She said to me in english '200 baht'. JEEZ! how stupid do Thai's think we are? And you wonder why they can't get the distance right in a road race? The answer is simple. They charged more because the distance was longer and they didn't think any stupid people running would notice.

What a bugger, the 300 metres short in the 10Km run cost me first place - because of it I came in 575th -- was get getting ready for the final burst and before knowing it, it was all over.

"was get getting ready for the final burst and before knowing it, it was all over"

Not only in running eh? wink.png

Yes, bugger it, happens every time.

The string must have been too long,when they get the

simple things right,then,maybe they can move on to

more technical stuff like Submarines,Hi Speed Trains,

and Nuclear power plants,that are on Thailand's wish list.

regards Worgeordie

yea what about the sub's ? is china going to put retractable wheels on the sub's so the army can use them also ? haven't heard .