Corruption in Phuket Immigration

My guess is that this is for the 'certificate of residence' which is required when you go to get a drivers license.

They charge 500 Baht for these in Hua Hin.

I have no idea if this is an official charge or goes into someones slush fund but it would be interesting to find out.

Over the last 10 years I have procured three driving licenses – none of them are requiring a certificate of residence. Just goes to show every office plays by their own rules.

Your original post & the comments are appreciated.

I am about to update my Thai driving licences this month due to my new passport.

My plan is that I will provide the transport office nearing to Phuket Immigrant office both passports (old & new), the black book (resident), the existing licences.

I hope they will allow that to proceed without going to immigrant. huh.png

You can obtain a Cert of Residency from your Embassy or Consulate. That's what Hubby and I do here in Chiang Mai, where Immigration charges 500 baht, plus we have to pay for transportation to Immigration's Promenada office twice -- once to submit the application and again the next day to pick up the application. So, that means that we have a choice of spending about 1500 baht to get the Cert of Res. at CM Immigration or paying the U.S. Consulate $50 and we can get there with a cheap 20 baht song thaew or, in the case of Hubby, he walks.

Yes, I know the U.S. Consulate is a little more expensive but at least we get a receipt and we aren't supporting corruption. Plus, we make an appointment on-line and receive the Cert. of Residency within a few minutes of arrival.

Fine if you have a consulate on your doorstep. But for us Brits, the only alternative option open to us would be to travel all the way to our Embassy in Bangkok from whatever far-flung corner in LOS we live in. The trip, in itself, would almost certainly cost way in excess of 500 THB. And then there is the 2,500 THB fee (= c. 75 USD) which our "beloved" Embassy would charge for their letter on top!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

When I came to live in Thailand (Phuket) it was with the knowledge that my Australian sourced income would buy significantly more in my new place of residence. I have been pleasantly surprised many time by just how much cheaper all manner of items are here.

I also knew corruption was, not only rife, but a part of the economic system. Just how big a part, and how far reaching it is, still surprises me on occasion. I regard small rorts and "tips" to be part of the system and pay them when necessary. I'm certainly not going on a crusade to try to change a centuries old system.

I don't know why the residence certificate is on the free list, but I have no concerns with paying a few dollars for the paperwork to be done. I'm also aware of the childish petulance of many of the Thai officialdom and know that refusing a tip could mean a protracted, and expensive ordeal the next time I need service in that office.

I have a German friend who recently renewed his permit (marriage) as he has done so for decades. He was asked up front for a tip which he indignantly refused to pay, stating he only tips after the fact, if he gets good service (I actually have my doubts about that biggrin.png)​.

They sent him away three times for extra documentation which included a photo of himself and wife standing front of their residence showing the street number.

He retrieved his passport on the fourth visit. He was steadfast in his attitude, I would have done without the hassle and a few extra dollars.

• Like 1

I am confused.

"This is the way it is in Asia".

"Accept the local culture, don't try to change it".

"If you don't like it, why stay?"

Maybe the rosy glassed apologists should come out of their closet.

And admit that they are extreme racists.

"Ah those little people of Thailand, we love them, they do not know better = it is their culture".

Now I let you guess who does the Thai bashing at our house.

But my wife is different, obviously. And she has spent much time in Europe.

I presume you meant you got certificates of residency from imagration to renew or get a driving licence. Some imagration offices do these free some charge I was charged for mine in Pattaya 300 bht isn't breaking the bank and if you got a recite is that coruption

I am sure the OP will tell you it is not about the money, I would not like any government bodies of any country

asking me for money without giving me a receipt. If I want to give anyone money ie, a tip, for a service which should be free, then that is my choice, not theirs.

if you are complainig about the 300B for certification of residency, i would not be surprised very soon it will be 500B like at some other immigration offices now....the reason why I am getting a yellow book.

I hope the yellow book will replace cert of residency, last friday I already paid 300B for a cert of residency for getting the yellow book smile.png

I presume you got your yellow book at your local amphur, I got mine recently and there was no charge.

The yellow book is free at all the Amphurs, and that is official, if you are asked to pay, you are getting done.

if you are complainig about the 300B for certification of residency, i would not be surprised very soon it will be 500B like at some other immigration offices now....the reason why I am getting a yellow book.

I hope the yellow book will replace cert of residency, last friday I already paid 300B for a cert of residency for getting the yellow book smile.png

korat immigration 500bht.POR thats for 5yrs if renewing your driving licence.cause trouble and see how much hassle you get when renewing your extension.

how many paid 500bht.for a slice of tart down in patts.[ONE NIGHT]giggle.gif

• Like 1

I also paid 300 THB in a Jomtien for the CoR,

However, considering what I have to pay for similar services in my home country -despite the huge tax burden - , it's more than acceptable. Just as example: my consulate here is charging European prices, the legislation / verification of just for 4 pages was 1900 baht ...

Imagine, from whom I felt exploitet - the Thai or my own home country?

• Like 1

It is apparent to me, that most western expats, who are perpetually crying about the corruption in Thailand,

haven't traveled, or experienced much of other Asian countries.

And, if your country (back home) was so squeeky clean, then why are you not still residing back there, instead of Thailand?

Here's an fyi ! Thailand is perhaps the least corrupt country in all of SE Asiacoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

I am about to update my Thai driving licences this month due to my new passport.

My plan is that I will provide the transport office nearing to Phuket Immigrant office both passports (old & new), the black book (resident), the existing licences.

My be i don`t now, bat in Transport office they want paper from Immigration, but take a small drive in to Transport Office and ask them, very god people .

My guess is that this is for the 'certificate of residence' which is required when you go to get a drivers license.

I have no idea if this is an official charge or goes into someones slush fund but it would be interesting to find out.

The Official is FREE, next time you ask about receive for this 500 Bath before you pay.

A Proof of Residence is free of charge anywhere in Thailand's immigration offices.. You've been had. Go back to the Phuket Immigration office and ask to speak to Colonel Sunchai Chokkakaijij. He recently advised the Phuket News that if any person is asked to pay a fee for the POR letter he wants to know about it. He moved several officers from the Patong Immigration Office recently for the same reason.

If anyone tells you he is away or too busy, ask to speak to the Inspector. Khun Lek. For the other person commenting that a fee of 500 baht is charged in Hua Hin, I suggest you go back and ask to speak to the OIC about your experience.

Yes Yes Yes and YES. To day i try to speak to Colonel Sunchai Chokkakaijij and Inspector. Khun Lek but they have no time, they now what i want to speak about :)

I am confused.

"Ah those little people of Thailand, we love them, they do not know better = it is their culture".

So corruption is ok for you? When you think Thailand coming forward? it´s coming less and less tourists who leave money here, it now comes mostly Chinesere and this money go strait back to China 0 Bath Tourist.Thais have become too greedy especially here in Phuket, but now they get their own medicine no money :) And i like it.

It's 500 baht here on Phuket too so the OP was getting a discount smile.png

I presume you meant you got certificates of residency from imagration to renew or get a driving licence. Some imagration offices do these free some charge I was charged for mine in Pattaya 300 bht isn't breaking the bank and if you got a recite is that coruption

I Was also charged 300b in BKK .

I am confused.

So corruption is ok for you? When you think Thailand coming forward? it´s coming less and less tourists who leave money here, it now comes mostly Chinesere and this money go strait back to China 0 Bath Tourist.Thais have become too greedy especially here in Phuket, but now they get their own medicine no money smile.png And i like it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I did not make myself clear, I was actually mocking those that accept corruption.

Thailand reminds me of my own country, 50 years ago...

I hope that it will not take 50 years to overcome corruption here, but I am not too optimistic.

I also paid 300 THB in a Jomtien for the CoR,

However, considering what I have to pay for similar services in my home country -despite the huge tax burden - , it's more than acceptable. Just as example: my consulate here is charging European prices, the legislation / verification of just for 4 pages was 1900 baht ...

Imagine, from whom I felt exploitet - the Thai or my own home country?

Perhaps both?

I presume you got your yellow book at your local amphur, I got mine recently and there was no charge.

The yellow book is free at all the Amphurs, and that is official, if you are asked to pay, you are getting done.

Actually, as I found out, there are 3 possibilities:

1/ no charge

2/ farang gets done

3/ oooohhh I have never done this before, and if I ask my superiors how to do it, I will lose face - so, NO, it is not possible farang, go away.

• Like 2

Get a yellow book, saves all this hassle

As I mentioned earlier, apparently the Pattaya licensing office does not accept yellow books.

They accepted mine two days ago when changing name on car and mine is for my address in KK

• Like 1

Just did it in Phuket town last Friday as i got new passport on Thursday. Went to the driving licence office. Asked them what is needed to update the passport number in the driving licence. They told me:

Certificate of residence from the immigration

Copy of the new passport only

Copy of the visa (1 year non o for me)

That's it.

Went to the immigration opposite. As i have already registered my address, just copy of the passport, visa and fill a form. 10 minutes later got the certificates. Free of charges

Went back to the driving licence office, show them the required document and copies, got a queue number, wait, paid 110 + 220 ( for 2 licences) and got the 2 new licences with passport number updated. Took about 1 hour.

• Like 2

Going over old ground and repeating myself, but apart from Immigration and your Embassy, Certificates of Residency can also be obtained from Police Stations and your local Amphur office (free)

I got my first C of R from my local Police Station to purchase my motorcycle.

I got my second C of R also from the local Police to get my Tabian Baan (house book).

The Tabian Baan is the ultimate proof of registered address and accepted by all government departments.

What do you think the Thais use!

• Like 1