Is this 'how children learn to understand, or blank?'

webfact

Just watched today a English teaching channel on DLTV, you'd expect everything to be correct, but NO, they even got a noun down as an adjective. Either they have a really serious problem or the farang proof reader needs to be sacked.

All words are nouns, whether it is an adjective or not depends on its position in syntax.

Did you really just write that sentence??????

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. Boy, this really hits the nail on the heart. I have 2 Thai sons, 17/14 and a 1/2 farang son and my 2 1/2 year old daughter. The 2 boys I try to give them every opportunity. However, the mother sees they are still babies. Shut up, the 14 year old is 2 meters tall, got arrested for gun possession, stolen bike and kicked out of school at 12. The 17 year old doesn't want to be the future caretaker of what I am trying to leave my wife and daughter.

My 6year old, I ask to sweep the floor, he starts crying. My love reasoning. He is too young....

My daughter who I can discipline is self motivated. I am very frightened of my daughters future. I do not want her to go to a public Thai school. I want to be dead, before here flower is taken away from some sweet smelling handsome Thai.

The ending of this drama, The Thai Mother with all their wonderful ways can only be found if you are willing to fight....

I love my wife, I Like her Chidren, I Love and Hate Thailand.

The hope that one day your missus will see the other way, yours in this case, is most likely ...in vain. When having children with a relative uneducated woman, or a proud thai, one can see the differences clearly between cultures and individuals. From a western point, not willing to claim all is better from a western point of view, raing kids one must be constantly on it. If not, it will all go sour. This is with ones own kids and with stepkids. Be in charge and dont compromise. From personal experience, before I left I compromised on little things....that was a mistake.

Love your kids...be in charge and keep at it, when there is no reciprocity from the mother.

I think that many of you posters have a nerve criticising anybody's English. If it's not putting singular verbs with plural subjects, or the contrary, it's not knowing the difference between ........they, they're, there, their *(the last two being the most obvious), there's, and the short for 'there are'. I am talking about native speakers, because there are posters where it is obvious English is not THEIR native language. I could give examples.

TAT: "Amazing Thailand - Amazing English - Experience it for Yourself!" "32 million tourists cannot be wrong." "Even though 70% of them are Chinese now."

This country is sticking its head in the ground and always has. "Thailand, Thailand uber alles" is the only thing that counts and that means anything for this ultra-national congregation of bad losers who cannot admit to anything, who cannot change anything, who won't accept any outside advice.

On another note, it wouldn't hurt the native English speakers (and I am particularly talking about Americans, Canadians and British fellows) to learn a second language instead of taking it for granted to be understood everywhere they may go - and complaining about it if they aren't. Hey, it's become almost impossible nowadays to negotiate some neighborhoods in U.S. or U.K. without speaking at least Spanish or Urdu.

I had the pleasure of working with a very intelligent Chinese translator in Shangai earlier in the year (March). She asked me how I liked Shanghai. I answered truthfully: It reminds me of Vancouver." She asked, "How so?" I replied, "It's cold, it rains all the time, and it's full of Chinese." She laughed out loud.

I think that many of you posters have a nerve criticising anybody's English. If it's not putting singular verbs with plural subjects, or the contrary, it's not knowing the difference between ........they, they're, there, their *(the last two being the most obvious), there's, and the short for 'there are'. I am talking about native speakers, because there are posters where it is obvious English is not THEIR native language. I could give examples.

I will not criticize your English until you tell me, "My friend you tomollow flee." Whatever that means.

In Korea, most English teachers are required to NOT learn Korean, insuring that only English is spoken in the classroom.

Korea has a large percentage of good English speakers.

People from Sweden speak beautiful English. Many have told me because English films are shown in English, with subtitles.

Very few countries do that.

I taught classes at a university in CM. The English majors barely could speak or read English in their Sr. year, yet they

had them reading old English novels. They were copying the curriculum of Cambridge University. A terribly tragic plan, yet

funny and ridiculous.

While interviewing for jobs here, I was sent to the English department head. None could

speak English, most barely understandable.

Those saying the translations in the OP are from Google Translate are insulting the current state of that program. Google Translate might have perpetrated that nonsense five years ago, but would do a better job today. Most likely, the translations were done using a software tool created by Thais.

You are vastly overstating the abilities of Google Translate.

Using the phrase from waldroj's posting. Google Translate gives:

"Today, you can cook anything for me to eat it."

The textbook has:

"Today's mother cooking something to eat some rats."

An accurate translation (mine):

"Today, mother [formal], what various dishes have you made for Nuu* to eat [semi-formal]?"

Neither Google nor the textbook comes anywhere close.

Incidentally, Bing gives:

"Today mom what do mice eat?"

* A cute word used by adults to address children, and children to refer to themselves. Literal meaning rat or mouse.

Edit: added Bing translation.

I should have qualified my statement that Google Translate, these days, would do a better job with the admission that it is still far worse (for Thai translation) than a qualified human translator. I would argue that translating "khun mae" as "you" and :nuu" as "me" is a decent attempt at coloquial translation, though I admit the important point that the entire phrase is a question gets lost.

Really good ESOL students who live in the West have better grammar than the indigenous population - they wince when I mangle "that" and "which" - but what they don't have is all the intonations in the right places. Now there's a whole debate about "global English", whether what's spoken in the UK should be "privileged", or whether English is the global lingua franca (boom, boom) and belongs to everyone. But if you want to come as close as possible to sounding like a native you probably shouldn't learn your English from Imran Khan, even if he does have wonderful diction.

Just watched today a English teaching channel on DLTV, you'd expect everything to be correct, but NO, they even got a noun down as an adjective. Either they have a really serious problem or the farang proof reader needs to be sacked.

While living in a small town east of Yasothon for months I watched a lot of DLTV English classes (nothing much happens in the evening in small Issan towns, and other channels were mainly propaganda) - saw what you describe, although the subject of this submission really takes the cake - so bad.

They'll never get a handle on the language at this rate, such a pity.

[smirk] I think you mean "an" English teaching channel...........

And I think you mean an English-teaching channel - a channel that teaches English, as opposed to an English one that teaches ...

Sorry, you are of course correct, "an English-teaching channel". The actual word in question was " chill ". The Thai teacher was trying to teach how to say what the weather is like today. So the phrase she used was "it is chill" rather than "it is chilly".

Yeah OK guys, nit picking and boring I realise, but I was having a particularly boring afternoon and it appears I was not alone.

I'd suggest that Thai kids' grasp of English may be no better, given that they are taught English by foreign, native English speakers, many of whom post on TV, showing an appaling understanding of their own language, spelling, grammar, etc.

I'd hate my kids to be taught my many of them.

Edited by F4UCorsair

It does indeed look as if Google translate or Bing had done a word by word translation, without any understanding of the context. I would have thought that, if the translater had even a minimal understanding of English they would have realised just how nonsensical these translations were, but that may be too much to hope for.

Edited by Farang99

Here is another from a Thai company produced textbook for teaching Thai P5 students about science......(see attachment sorry I do not know how to place photos into the main text)

Other gems in this science textbook include...."Do fish get struck by lightning"...and "the Science of Cuteness"

attachicon.gifimg149 (Medium) (Large).jpg

That's unbelievable. Jesus!

It looks like a training manual for "Coconuts" reporters.

Edited by nikmar

My small contribution to funny mistakes.... a sign from the time of the last "election" smile.png

post-169838-0-34767200-1447816424_thumb.

IMO, mistakes like these, or other interesting ones posted by members e.g. from a shop or business, are kind ok. After all, we often forget how lucky we are (those of us who do not speak much Thai), that a lot of persons in this country try and manage to speak some English (and Chinese, and Russian, etc etc). Imagine how humorous we would be if we tried to write up signs in Thai - some of us, at least... certainly me.

What is definitely not ok is that textbooks and similar materials are not double-checked before being printed. There is no excuse and it is a shame. But I don't think it's related to the number of native English teachers. Back in my country, I had only non-native English teachers at school. Some were indeed horrific, but one was excellent and I am still grateful to her.

I've often wondered why Thais don't get native speakers to proofread.

The problem is the hierarchy system. Someone at a higher level has studied abroad, etc, and has an inflated opinion of themselves. No one would dare question them even if they knew for sure they were wrong. The person who studied abroad probably thinks they can't do any wrong.

Many Thai websites offer an English translation which mostly remains Thai with a little bit of poor English. No offence, but it's very typically Thai. Offer an English option to look multinational and professional without checking the actual content. "It looks good; ergo, it is good"

I tried to attach some pictures from the English textbook this college choose to use last semester for PWC 3 but I have no idea how to post pictures here on TV so sorry, no pictures. Anyway, they stopped using that textbook after only one month, the vice director asked me the meaning of sentences like "Body massage from 100% healthy ladies only 1600 Baht" and then it was banned from the classrooms...

"I've often wondered why Thais don't get native speakers to proofread."

Yes, that is a mystery.

" ...from the English textbook this college choose [sic] to use last semester ..."

The good news is that Thailand will soon be free of all those no good farang teachers. As you can clearly see the Thais are well on top of things when it comes to English.

"... Thais are well on top of things when it comes to English."

... after years of tutelage from those excellent farang teachers.

Of course they shouldn't be held accountable. If it isn't working, just carry on as always.

Wow. Boy, this really hits the nail on the heart. I have 2 Thai sons, 17/14 and a 1/2 farang son and my 2 1/2 year old daughter. The 2 boys I try to give them every opportunity. However, the mother sees they are still babies. Shut up, the 14 year old is 2 meters tall, got arrested for gun possession, stolen bike and kicked out of school at 12. The 17 year old doesn't want to be the future caretaker of what I am trying to leave my wife and daughter.

My 6year old, I ask to sweep the floor, he starts crying. My love reasoning. He is too young....

My daughter who I can discipline is self motivated. I am very frightened of my daughters future. I do not want her to go to a public Thai school. I want to be dead, before here flower is taken away from some sweet smelling handsome Thai.

The ending of this drama, The Thai Mother with all their wonderful ways can only be found if you are willing to fight....

the youth in thailand is flawed because the thai system is used to abuse the youth. (um, no i will not respect my corrupt elders, nor will I call them "P" they are waaaaaay below hardworking construction workers.) All activities in thailand cater to drinking, sex, and scams. Thais love nothing more than to BUY people and abuse them. The 2 boys of yours WILL ATTRACT ATTENTION AND EVERYTHING YOU BUILT WILL BE STOLEN. ITs a common theme, here in thailand. to advoid this, study FB: justiceforjessie. Again, its just a matter of time before you lose your business to corruption in thailand. ...... Move.

The problem is the hierarchy system. Someone at a higher level has studied abroad, etc, and has an inflated opinion of themselves. No one would dare question them even if they knew for sure they were wrong. The person who studied abroad probably thinks they can't do any wrong.

Many Thai websites offer an English translation which mostly remains Thai with a little bit of poor English. No offence, but it's very typically Thai. Offer an English option to look multinational and professional without checking the actual content. "It looks good; ergo, it is good"

I sometimes get asked to proofread material.

Sometimes the material is so poorly written that I have no idea what the writer is trying to say. The other problem is that they expect you to read , say 50 pages, in less than an hour and pay virtually nothing for it.

I have sometimes written in big letters "need to be rewritten" next to some paragraphs, only to see that the article was later published without being corrected.

I often think "What's the point?"

Before I accept any "proofreading" work, I have a quick pre - read and now only accept what is in reasonable English - anything else -- " too busy"

Not only the Thai companies. When I was looking for a surround system for the TV, I looked at the websites of Sony, LG, Samsung, and the rest. Gibberish. Any native English speaker with a good knowledge of grammar and punctuation could have made the sites readable, for a relatively modest fee. I am open to offers.

Many posters are using this thread for totally justified, (in this instance), Thai bashing. For those of us with children, but without the funds to pay for an International school, it is a concern. I am presently trying to find books from England, with the idea that my sons come home, have food, then have 30 minutes of English lessons before they play.

Many posters are using this thread for totally justified, (in this instance), Thai bashing. For those of us with children, but without the funds to pay for an International school, it is a concern. I am presently trying to find books from England, with the idea that my sons come home, have food, then have 30 minutes of English lessons before they play.

Im right there with you mate.

My son is learning Thai style English from the Thai teacher and proper English from me.

Translated the Thai nickname for kids [noo] into rats. Even mice would have been better. Only one sentence translated nearly correctly 'shower before you go down to eat dessert'. Although 'come down' is written correctly in the Thai sentence, they somehow still end up with 'go'.

f

Wouldn't it be go down if the speaker was also 'upstairs' with the person being spoken to, for instance.

As for the quote from the complainant teacher from Bangkok .....

If Thai people have qualified teachers and good materials, they can go very far in life, Dahlfred said. So it makes me sad when I see books with horribly incorrect English, that sometimes doesn't even make sense.

There is also the alternative ending 'that don't make sense.' Context is something English often requires for understanding!

the youth in thailand is flawed because the thai system is used to abuse the youth. (um, no i will not respect my corrupt elders, nor will I call them "P" they are waaaaaay below hardworking construction workers.) All activities in thailand cater to drinking, sex, and scams. Thais love nothing more than to BUY people and abuse them. The 2 boys of yours WILL ATTRACT ATTENTION AND EVERYTHING YOU BUILT WILL BE STOLEN. ITs a common theme, here in thailand. to advoid this, study FB: justiceforjessie. Again, its just a matter of time before you lose your business to corruption in thailand. ...... Move.

Sadly you are not far wrong. You might like #tysaysno as well if you google it.

Im right there with you mate.

My son is learning Thai style English from the Thai teacher and proper English from me.

Not easy for me. I always have to remember to say, for example, "Yes, you are right", rather than "Tha's reet tha knows".

I will not criticize your English until you tell me, "My friend you tomollow flee." Whatever that means.

I'm guessing she likes your friend, and is pointing out that if he shows up tomorrow, he won't need to pay.

Edited by lamyai3