Is Win10 Upgrade lurking on your PC ?

Daffy D

Having lost count of how many times I have had to re-instal my Win 8.1 from my paid for disc, I wonder how I might do the same with the inevitable crashes of 10.

Regardless of how a crash occurred.

Same for install on a new drive.

Sorry if this his covered on the web etc, but I have NO intention of ever becoming a guinea pig for 10.

Not that I am a fan of 8.1 but needs must when the devil drives.

Just go to one of the Microsoft sites where you can down a Win 10 ISO (i.e., install disk) and follow the instructions...then you have your Win 10 bootable disc or Win 10 bootable USB stick (up to you what you create)...and all free with the exception your cost to buy a DVD or USB stick which you probably already have laying around the house in abundance.

Go to below website which gives some more info on subject in layman's terms and the two Microsoft links to download Win 10 ISOs (i.e., install discs/sticks).

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html

Win 10 seems to be catching on fast based on some full month Aug, Sep, and/or Oct stats since Win 10's 29 July release to the public. And I expect since the first major upgrade (a.k.a., service pack) to Win 10 was released a week or so ago that will make more people pull the free upgrade to Win 10 trigger.

Below are some stats from two different websites although they tend to significantly disagree on some of the percentages for certain operating systems....probably due to what websites are being monitored to collect the stats.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Note: the Sep stats add up to pretty much 100%....but the Aug stats only add up to around 97% if my fingers punched in the right numbers to my calculator.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

however the majority of sensible users still hold on to win 7 till stabilibty is achived.

the stats also show that win 7 remains dominant in actual use on win computers.

Having lost count of how many times I have had to re-instal my Win 8.1 from my paid for disc, I wonder how I might do the same with the inevitable crashes of 10.

Regardless of how a crash occurred.

Same for install on a new drive.

Sorry if this his covered on the web etc, but I have NO intention of ever becoming a guinea pig for 10.

Not that I am a fan of 8.1 but needs must when the devil drives.

Just go to one of the Microsoft sites where you can down a Win 10 ISO (i.e., install disk) and follow the instructions...then you have your Win 10 bootable disc or Win 10 bootable USB stick (up to you what you create)...and all free with the exception your cost to buy a DVD or USB stick which you probably already have laying around the house in abundance.

Go to below website which gives some more info on subject in layman's terms and the two Microsoft links to download Win 10 ISOs (i.e., install discs/sticks).

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html

Thanks very much, but I am just waiting for the day when I can use my PC as a boat anchor.

Nice to hear so many happy with their Win10 install. rolleyes.gif

My original post was for people who did not want to be forced into the free upgrading and loosing their current operating system.

I have nothing against Win10, I'm currently running it on dual boot with Win7 but I do not want M$ to sneak in and replace my Win7 till I'm ready.

Just to recap, the little program will not help if Win10 is already installed - It will however help you to stop a forced unwanted Win10 upgrade over your existing operating system if that's what you want.

smile.png

Win 10 seems to be catching on fast based on some full month Aug, Sep, and/or Oct stats since Win 10's 29 July release to the public. And I expect since the first major upgrade (a.k.a., service pack) to Win 10 was released a week or so ago that will make more people pull the free upgrade to Win 10 trigger.

Below are some stats from two different websites although they tend to significantly disagree on some of the percentages for certain operating systems....probably due to what websites are being monitored to collect the stats.

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Note: the Sep stats add up to pretty much 100%....but the Aug stats only add up to around 97% if my fingers punched in the right numbers to my calculator.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

however the majority of sensible users still hold on to win 7 till stabilibty is achived.

the stats also show that win 7 remains dominant in actual use on win computers.

Of course Win 7 is still dominant...Win 10 has only been out since 29 July but already has around 10% market share.

Now when it comes to stability I've been running Win 10 since 29 Jul and it's every bit as stable as Win 7 at least on my PC. Now hardware and software manufacturers need to get their products fully Win 10 compliant...and for some older products that won't occur which will help to maintain some of Win 7's current dominant (but now decreasing) market share. I have one such 8 year laptop that is non-compatibile with Win 10 due to its GPU and that laptop will go to its grave over the coming years with Win 7 still on it. I would prefer to upgrade it to Win 10 but no can do.

If you have 32 bit and not the 64 bit don't waste time to run the file because it wont work on a 32 bit system alone.

Can anyone else comment on this.............I have the 32 bit W7 installed so W10 may be a waste of time??????

I also run Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5 and have just found out that this is not compatible with W10, so perhaps I'm stuffed either way!

Down loaded, installed and many problem on several machines. AMD and Intel based.

So did install from scratch by adjusting an registry key to enable form scratch

Win 10 runs better and has less problems

Office 2016 has problems because there are still no 64 bits language modules.

overall Windows is still far form stable and able to run smooth. there is now the 1st service pack that finally addresses the start menu issue (I hope) as well other performance issues.

Go to Compatability mode, that will sort it

If you have 32 bit and not the 64 bit don't waste time to run the file because it wont work on a 32 bit system alone.

Can anyone else comment on this.............I have the 32 bit W7 installed so W10 may be a waste of time??????

I also run Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5 and have just found out that this is not compatible with W10, so perhaps I'm stuffed either way!

My comment is: if Brit_Doggie is talking Win 10 don't come in the 32 bit version then he's wrong. Win 10 comes in 32 or 64 bit depending on whether your computer is an older 32 bit machine or newer 64 bit machine.

For example I just went to the Windows TechBench website, one of the Miscrosoft web site you can download a Win 10 ISO from, selected Win 10, English International, then it asked whether I wanted the 32 or 64 bit version (see image below). Still a ton of 32 bit machines out there and they can update to Win 10 also.

Now if Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5 isn't compatible with Win 10 then Nuance just needs to update their product like many software manufacturers have done/are doing....but depending on how old your software is the software maker may not upgrade an older version "for free." I see Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 is Win 8.X compatible and Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 is Win 10 compatible. From looking at the 11.5 system requirements it looks like it's only compatible up to Win 7 although it might have worked under Win 8.X. Can you upgrade to ver 13 free or do you have to pay to upgrade Nauance Dragon Naturally Speaking? But that still don't mean 11.5 wouldn't run properly in compatibility mode on Win 8.X or Win 10.

This is nothing new about some hardware/software possibly not working with a new version of Windows....been going on for a long, long time as many manufacturers of hardware/software stop update support after X-years for their products....in many cases it's around 3 years then they move on to only supporting their newer hardware/software. Canon is bad about that with their retail scanners....at about the 3 year point they'll stop providing driver updates for many of their scanners...drivers that sometimes won't work on new versions of Windows (even in compatibility mode) or get buggy.

NOVEMBER 5, 2015 9:59 AM Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10586

By Gabe Aul / Corporate Vice President, Engineering Systems Team

UPDATE 11/9: Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10586 is now available to Windows Insiders in the Slow ring.

Hi everyone,

Today we are releasing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10586 to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring. This build is really focused on bug fixes and general improvements. We’ve been loving this build in our internal rings as it is very fast and smooth, and makes a great daily driver.

Here are some things we have fixed:
  • The issue where any audio playing (like music from Groove, or videos from the Movies & TV app) gets reduced by 75% for a period of time after a notification pops up from Action Center is fixed.
  • Pressing the power button on your Surface Pro 3 should put your Surface Pro 3 to sleep instead of shutting it down.
  • We fixed an issue reported by Windows Insiders where a disksnapshot.exe command prompt window would flash randomly.
  • Windows should now remember your previous login type. For example, if you log in with a PIN – it will prompt you for a PIN next time instead of another type.
  • We fixed an issue where Tab previews in Microsoft Edge were appearing as black if the page was not scrolled to the top, and web note clippings were also appearing as black.
  • Small form-factor devices, like the Dell Venue 8 Pro, that boot with rotation or virtual mode screen size set larger than the physical screen size should no longer experience a bluescreen on upgrade.
  • Apps and games should download from the Store more reliably.
Known issues:
  • After upgrading from one Windows 10 Insider Preview build to another Insider Preview build, Skype messages and contacts will disappear from the Messaging + Skype app. You can get Skype messages and contacts back by navigating to “C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Messaging_

8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache” in File Explorer and deleting or renaming the “PrivateTransportId” file. After deleting or renaming that file, go to the Skype video app and sign out of Skype and sign back in.

• The Insider Hub might be gone after upgrading to this build. You can get Insider Hub back by going to Settings > System > Apps & features and clicking “Manage optional features”, choosing “Add a feature” and selecting Insider Hub.

Please use the Windows Feedback app to report any problems that you might encounter with this build, and remember to follow me on Twitter @gabeaul for preview build and Windows Insider Program announcements.

Thanks,

g

UPDATED NOVEMBER 9, 2015 12:29 PM

Ah, so that's the reason why I was informed that an "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586" was available when I performed my weekly Windows Update check on my laptop a couple of days ago!

Despite all the fun and games I experienced when originally upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my laptop last July (like my monthly 4GB high-speed internet allowance with AIS being guzzled up in one fell swoop, resulting in a painfully slow and tedious downloading and installation process), I have generally been satisfied with the end result. In particular booting up the laptop has proved much faster with Windows 10 than it did with Windows 7.

However, it was with some trepidation that I proceeded with this further upgrade, and my fears have not proved to be unfounded in that, once again, my monthly high-speed allowance has been guzzled up (this time a fortnight before time), thanks to this particular upgrade (although I will plead partially guilty to a contributory role in this through switching everything off before the download had been completed, in what turned out to be the mistaken belief that what had already been downloaded would have been saved).

At this very moment in time, the upgrade is downloading onto my laptop at the "supersonic" rate of 1% every 20 minutes or so - which, at the present rate of progress, means that the download should be completed by around 3AM tomorrow. There will then presumably follow the installation process, so my fingers are firmly crossed that, when I wake up tomorrow I shall be in a position to reboot the laptop in order to implement the upgrade (which also comes with its fun and games in my experience).

Bearing in mind the considerable cost and effort that was expended by Microsoft prior to the launch of Windows 10, it does beg the rather obvious (to me, at any rate) question as to why they were unable to get things broadly right in the first place, without the need for a further major upgrade after only 4 months.

In addition, can we now expect them to inflict yet more major upgrades on us as a matter of routine at 4-monthly intervals? If so, then clearly I am going to have to find some other more practical means of accessing the internet - which, since I live way out in the sticks, might prove easier said than done in practice!

My comment is: if Brit_Doggie is talking Win 10 don't come in the 32 bit version then he's wrong. Win 10 comes in 32 or 64 bit depending on whether your computer is an older 32 bit machine or newer 64 bit machine.

For example I just went to the Windows TechBench website, one of the Miscrosoft web site you can download a Win 10 ISO from, selected Win 10, English International, then it asked whether I wanted the 32 or 64 bit version (see image below). Still a ton of 32 bit machines out there and they can update to Win 10 also.

Now if Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5 isn't compatible with Win 10 then Nuance just needs to update their product like many software manufacturers have done/are doing....but depending on how old your software is the software maker may not upgrade an older version "for free." I see Dragon Naturally Speaking 12 is Win 8.X compatible and Dragon Naturally Speaking 13 is Win 10 compatible. From looking at the 11.5 system requirements it looks like it's only compatible up to Win 7 although it might have worked under Win 8.X. Can you upgrade to ver 13 free or do you have to pay to upgrade Nauance Dragon Naturally Speaking? But that still don't mean 11.5 wouldn't run properly in compatibility mode on Win 8.X or Win 10.

This is nothing new about some hardware/software possibly not working with a new version of Windows....been going on for a long, long time as many manufacturers of hardware/software stop update support after X-years for their products....in many cases it's around 3 years then they move on to only supporting their newer hardware/software. Canon is bad about that with their retail scanners....at about the 3 year point they'll stop providing driver updates for many of their scanners...drivers that sometimes won't work on new versions of Windows (even in compatibility mode) or get buggy.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for sharing your knowledge with me (and others) because I am a bit of a novice in this regard, but do manage to get by from time to time without too many stuff ups!

I seem to remember Dragon (Nuance) stating that no free upgrades were available for version 11.5 and that I would have to buy version 13, which I am loath to do having already purchased version 4 and version 11.5.

So I will probably hang on to Windows 7 and the Dragon version I currently have, although I do have intermittent problems with it and have had since it was first purchased, however despite contacting the help-desk on numerous occasions and carrying out their suggestions, the problems still remain and these are pretty standard if one searches the Internet for typical Dragon problems which have never been resolved – – such a shame because when working well it is a very effective program.

Actually that leads on to the next thing is I seem to remember Microsoft were dabbling with speech recognition and to all intents and purposes were trying to perfect it to include it with later versions of Windows (Windows 10 for example) – – any news on this from anyone?

There's a program called "Destroy Windows Spying" that works with Win10.

http://dws.wzor.net/

Have not tried it myself yet so can't comment.

smile.png

Throws up a trojan warning on 360.

Disregard the warning..the trojan will destroy Windows thereby eliminating the Windows spying issue. Might not be the results exactly desired but still gets the basic job done. tongue.png