One way ticket with single entry tourist visa?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so thank you for any help! My situation is this- I have a single entry tourist visa and I want to get a one way ticket to Thailand because Im not 100% sure of my return date yet (Im flying with Qatar and they say it will cost 130 to change flight once booked). So my question is this, will I be allowed to board the plane without a return ticket using only a single entry tourist visa?

Thanks very much for any help!

cheers!

If you are in Australia you will not be able to leave Australia without a valid return flight. You will not even get past the airline check in counter. This is a fact like it or not

That does not sound right to me. I regularly fly Jetstar to Bangkok, and return to Australia using Air Asia. Have never been asked at the checkin counter or Border Security outgoing for proof of a return flight. Why would Jetstar want to know details of a return flight with Air Asia? It's none of their business.

How does one get the Visa in advance if the ticket was not a round trip? Looking at the tourist visa application it doesn't really ask for return reservations but it does ask for proposed length of stay. Oh well. Good for him

It depends on the place where you get your visa. Some embassies and consulates ask for an onward ticket some don't. The IATA rules state that you do not need an onward ticket if you have a visa. They also say that you do need an onward ticket if you do not have a visa. Some airlines will let you board with a one way ticket and no visa, many will not.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

How does one get the Visa in advance if the ticket was not a round trip? Looking at the tourist visa application it doesn't really ask for return reservations but it does ask for proposed length of stay. Oh well. Good for him

The OP was asking about boarding the plane without a return ticket. Whether or not he can get a tourist visa without a return ticket is down to the embassy/consulate he's applying at. Two different things.

I can only say what happened to me. I was flying back via a different airline and they would not check me in without seeing proof that I had a return ticket. This happened to me at Perth airport

Did you have an actual visa or were you entering Thailand without a visa under the visa exempt scheme.

I had a double entry 60 day visa. They said it was because I was staying longer than 30 days that I needed proof of return ticket been booked and I had a return date. Hope this helps but obviously different airlines different policies maybe

If you are in Australia you will not be able to leave Australia without a valid return flight. You will not even get past the airline check in counter. This is a fact like it or not

-----------------------

How many times have you flown to Thailand...... from Australia or any where else.?

There is no requirement for a return ticket.

In fact if asked at all it will be by the airline when you do not have a Thai visa to show....and they ask for will be an "out of country ticket " and not a return ticket.

A "out of country ticket" means if absolutely required you can buy a cheap ticket by air from Thailand to Cambodia or Laos.

But if you already have a valid Thai visa in your passport you normally won't be asked

• Like 1

I have flown to Thailand and other countries at least 40 times. I can only state what happened to me. Doesn't matter what the law says if the person at the airline checkin will not book you onto the flight without a return ticket

I had a double entry 60 day visa. They said it was because I was staying longer than 30 days that I needed proof of return ticket been booked and I had a return date. Hope this helps but obviously different airlines different policies maybe

They were wrong. If you have valid visa a return or onward ticket is not required.

If told otherwise take it to the supervisory level and ask them to check the requirements in the IATA database they can access.

You can check it here by entering all the required info. http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm

You will get to the last page and it will tell you need a visa since you do not have a return or onward ticket.

I doubt they would require a return flight. In some cases airlines may want to see a flight booked out of Thailand, but they wouldn't require that you return to Australia.

Most likely the person at check-in was confused, over-zealous or misunderstood the airline policy. If you don't have a visa (and plan to get a visa exempt entry) and are refused entry to Thailand they could get stuck flying you out. If you are in possession of a valid visa, that problem shouldn't arise or be their responsibility. You should have asked to see a print out of the airline policy. Even in farangland rules & regulations get mangled by those expected to implement them.

I have just got a 60 day visa from the Thai Embassy in Paris. I had to have a ticket that showed both my entry and leaving flights and that was not more than 90 days. I think it is as someone said above, up to the various embassies. For instance I see that in many, you have to give two photos, in Paris, only one. Big deal!

I have just got a 60 day visa from the Thai Embassy in Paris. I had to have a ticket that showed both my entry and leaving flights and that was not more than 90 days. I think it is as someone said above, up to the various embassies. For instance I see that in many, you have to give two photos, in Paris, only one. Big deal!

Nothing to do with the Embassy.

The op was asking about boarding the flight at the airport.

As said, there is no need for a return ticket. Fact.

• Like 1

That must be dependant on what airline you are with and I assume the visa that you had. As you CAN MOST DEFINATELY fly from Australia to Thailand with a one way ticket, on a visa on entry. I did it on the 15 Oct from Syd to Bangkok, and have done it several times before. Having said that, I tried to fly from Bangkok to Paris 18 months ago, on a one way flight, as I was travelling and was going to Aust my plans when I got there, and Thai airways would NOT let me board the flight without a return, OR onward flight out of France. Needless to say, it was a frantic dash around the airport to book another flight out of France to be allowed to board.

I must admit i always thought ( and i may be wrong... ) that you can book a oneway ticket say from the UK to Thailand.(without a visa) and then have a cheap flight booked to Cambodia before your month visa on arrival ends.That gives you time to organize the correct long term visa once you are in Thailand ( ie a retirement visa for example ) A travel agency in the UK did say that turning up with just a oneway ticket in the airport wouldn't be a good idea as the Airline would not let you board the flight because themselves being at risk of being fined by Thai Authorities on arrival....?????

F.J ( slightly confused..) facepalm.gif x

I must admit i always thought ( and i may be wrong... ) that you can book a oneway tickoet say from the UK to Thailand.(without a visa) and then have a cheap flight booked to Cambodia before your month visa on arrival ends.That gives you time to organize the correct long term visa once you are in Thailand ( ie a retirement visa for example ) A travel agency in the UK did say that turning up with just a oneway ticket in the airport wouldn't be a good idea as the Airline would not let you board the flight because themselves being at risk of being fined by Thai Authorities on arrival....?????

The op has a single entry tv. Did you read the op. Anyway he requires a ticket into los. Thats it. Visa on arrival is available for only some countries. Think you mean visa exempt stamp.

I must admit i always thought ( and i may be wrong... ) that you can book a oneway ticket say from the UK to Thailand.(without a visa) and then have a cheap flight booked to Cambodia before your month visa on arrival ends.That gives you time to organize the correct long term visa once you are in Thailand ( ie a retirement visa for example ) A travel agency in the UK did say that turning up with just a oneway ticket in the airport wouldn't be a good idea as the Airline would not let you board the flight because themselves being at risk of being fined by Thai Authorities on arrival....?????

Without a visa you get a 30 day visa exempt entry not not a visa on arrival. In this case you do need a return or onward ticket out of the country within 30 day of arrival or the airline can refuse boarding you flight.

• Like 1

Thankyou UbonJoe for your kind assistance once again.You really are a " mind of visa knowledge " and constantly seem to have an answer to everything that's fired at you.I sometimes wonder if you sit at a desk all day with a laptop or are constantly on the move using a tab or mobile phone.But whichever thanks for your information ( most kind ).

F.J wai2.gif

This week i flew from the UK to Thailand.

I was issued a triple entry tourist visa in the UK.

At check-in, the lady from British Airways said I could not fly to Thailand without a return ticket.

I told her she was talking nonsense. She phoned her head office and they confirmed requirement of a return ticket..

I was forced to buy a single ticket from BKK to the UK to allow entry onto the plane.

The BA lady told me I could get a full refund of this ticket.........I hope so - it was 2231.27 GBP.

At check-in, the lady from British Airways said I could not fly to Thailand without a return ticket.

I told her she was talking nonsense. She phoned her head office and they confirmed requirement of a return ticket..

I was forced to buy a single ticket from BKK to the UK to allow entry onto the plane.

The BA lady told me I could get a full refund of this ticket.........I hope so - it was 2231.27 GBP.

2231.27 GBP. ???

Really ?

A single one way ticket ?

First class ?

Try Skyscanner when you next need a ticket !

http://www.skyscanner.net/

Edited by oncearugge

So some BA check-in lady forbid you to travel from Bangkok, to, say, Kuala Lumpur?

You are telling us BA forces you to return to UK after your trip to Thailand! And you did not demand to talk to BA shift supervisor? Has UK somehow become North Korea, dictating where you are allowed to travel?

LOL

As been pointed out here, there is no requirement of return ticket, airline may insist on outward flight, but that's it.

If this really happened, shoulda bought Air Asia 1 way to KL, 60 days in advance cost about 30 Euros

• Like 1

I regularly fly Jetstar to Bangkok, and return to Australia using Air Asia.

They asked for a return ticket but in actuality they wanted to see a ticket outta Thailand, so I purchased a £20 from Krabi to Penang. It worked.

• 2 weeks later...

That does not sound right to me. I regularly fly Jetstar to Bangkok, and return to Australia using Air Asia. Have never been asked at the checkin counter or Border Security outgoing for proof of a return flight. Why would Jetstar want to know details of a return flight with Air Asia? It's none of their business.

I have been stopped twice at Perth Thai Int check in , they hadn't seen the " B " visa , how ever they did first ask for a rtn ticket before I reminded them about the visa on the other Passport page , so they do stop ya , also going to a job in Indon ( 2007 ) I was quizzed about no rtn ticket but let through when I told them it was the employer who was paying the ticket.