Double digit price hike for Electricity (Nov 16, 2015)

KhunBENQ

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get my Electricity from a private company, and they do not have any changes in pricing, strange the MEA sees it necessary to increase the prices.

Rates go up when the government claims we are in a period of deflation?. The only deflation I see is in the amount of cereal in the box that I buy from Tops. Its a large looking box on the outside half full on the inside. Rather than chase some reporter for having a bullet proof vest I would hope the government would take a serious look at all the undersizing of products in the stores today. It funny how the government cherry picks what to go after you know problems that take very little legwork and other problems the consumer faces today well they turn a blind eye. Bangkok should pay way more for electricity. Its were the majority of funds flow to especially our 1900 bahts a year immigration monies from Chiang Mai for which we get diddly squat in return. We seem to be a test case to see how much abuse can be heaped on people. Sometimes I feel like a human chess piece a pawn.

Sorry, but I do not see any 'price hike'.

Although the basic rates have increased the Ft charge has decreased.

Taking one of my bills as an example the Ft charge for October was 0.4638 Baht/unit whereas for November it is -0.0323 Baht/unit (yes, minus).

For October my average rate/unit was 4.5459/unit and for November 4.5364 baht/unit using slightly more units. Therefore Novembers overall rate has actually decreased slightly.

+1

I'm sure you both have noticed that the OP says. Starting from 16 November ?

Yes, I noticed.

I also quoted from my latest PEA bill which includes the rate changes. By coincidence the 16th of the month is the normal read date for this particular property.

Sorry, but I do not see any 'price hike'.

Although the basic rates have increased the Ft charge has decreased.

Taking one of my bills as an example the Ft charge for October was 0.4638 Baht/unit whereas for November it is -0.0323 Baht/unit (yes, minus).

For October my average rate/unit was 4.5459/unit and for November 4.5364 baht/unit using slightly more units. Therefore Novembers overall rate has actually decreased slightly.

+1

I'm sure you both have noticed that the OP says. Starting from 16 November ?

Yes, I noticed.

I also quoted from my latest PEA bill which includes the rate changes. By coincidence the 16th of the month is the normal read date for this particular property.

So we are getting to the point now.

This thread is about MEA price increase starting from 16 November.

Did PEA announce any price increase at all yet?

So we are getting to the point now.

This thread is about MEA price increase starting from 16 November.

Did PEA announce any price increase at all yet?

No point, as MEA and PEA always had and have the same rates.

Rates are equal nationwide. Its a state monopoly. No competition.

PEA has the new rates, but only the link to the Thai version works:

(English version "corrupt file")

https://www.pea.co.th/Documents/Rate2015.pdf

Just look for the line with "400 .... 401 .... 4.4217"

4.4217 is the rate in Baht/unit for 401 units and up.

Same as MEA.

I can't find an exact date in the Thai PDF, just November 2015.

Edited by KhunBENQ

By the way, the 'ft' isn't a tax. It is simply a mechanism to allow the pass through for changes in variable market linked fuel prices.

It is, though it is referred to as a tariff, still a type of tax.

"Tariff is defined as a form of duty or tax levied on goods for protective purposes and revenue purposes when they are transported from one customs area to another while custom duties are the collected income from tariff taxes.

Read more: Difference Between Duty and Tariff | Difference Between | Duty vs Tariff http://www.differencebetween.net/business/finance-business-2/difference-between-duty-and-tariff/#ixzz3s0Vsmn91

A tariff is a tax on imports or exports (an international trade tariff).

It is also economist speak for a price. Nothing more. Check out the presentation on page 10. By my old boss no less...

http://www.eria.org/events/Power%20Tariff%20Structure%20in%20Thailand.pdf

Ft should probably be described as a surcharge. It is in fact the difference between the predicted guestimate of their cost of energy versus the real cost for that period. However I suppose they have used this opportunity where fuel prices have more than halved to increase the actual price by more than 12%. To the layman it does not look like any increase as he merely checks his last bill against his current bill. There seems to be little or no change. When energy prices rise again they will jack up the Ft again and of course blame the increases on the underlying increase in prices for their fuel. All smoke and mirrors.

It's a bit like Snickers. They have a habit of increasing the size of the snickers and sell at the same price. What a bargain. However later they jack up the price but come on you are getting a bigger bar for your money. Then all of a sudden without any warning the bars regain their original dimensions but the price remains the same.

In a nutshell there is an increase overall of more than 12% in a deflationary environment. Absolute barefaced robbery.

Den

I get my Electricity from a private company, and they do not have any changes in pricing, strange the MEA sees it necessary to increase the prices.

Rates go up when the government claims we are in a period of deflation?. The only deflation I see is in the amount of cereal in the box that I buy from Tops. Its a large looking box on the outside half full on the inside. Rather than chase some reporter for having a bullet proof vest I would hope the government would take a serious look at all the undersizing of products in the stores today. It funny how the government cherry picks what to go after you know problems that take very little legwork and other problems the consumer faces today well they turn a blind eye. Bangkok should pay way more for electricity. Its were the majority of funds flow to especially our 1900 bahts a year immigration monies from Chiang Mai for which we get diddly squat in return. We seem to be a test case to see how much abuse can be heaped on people. Sometimes I feel like a human chess piece a pawn.

Check the weight of the product, not the volume. A large amount of cornflakes could be crushed in to a tiny box - if that's what you prefer.

Make a stand and refuse to pay your 1900 baht at immigration in Chiang Mai on principle.

Then send us a post card with the difference analysis - from the country of your choice...you will get a choice...at least a choice in whichever country you can afford to go to and which will allow you to enter.

Stop being so paranoid.....jeez the price of electricity may or may not be increasing...well blow me down with a feather. That'd never happen anywhere else.

Nope its a hate the farang policy obviously.

My PEA bill for the last 6 months with the most recent on Nov. 16. 1st column - total charge. 2nd column - base cost per unit. 3rd column - cost per unit all inclusive. Normally my bill would be going down by now. If not for the -Ft it would 3300 Baht which is higher than any previous bill for the last 5 years for this month. So 11.9% increase in base cost from the previous month. So PEA reflects MEA as expected.

post-566-0-47621500-1448010820_thumb.jpg

For the green fruitcakes. This is great -higher prices means less need for OIL based products.

Oil has very little contribution to electricity production in Thailand.

4366.png

While oil comprises a small percentage of the capacity mix, it is used by the more expensive power plants that are operated to supply power at peak times. These plants only operate intermittently, so their cost structure is much higher. This, however, is reflected in the Ft calculation.

By the way, the 'ft' isn't a tax. It is simply a mechanism to allow the pass through for changes in variable market linked fuel prices.

"Tariff is defined as a form of duty or tax levied on goods for protective purposes and revenue purposes when they are transported from one customs area to another while custom duties are the collected income from tariff taxes.

Read more: Difference Between Duty and Tariff | Difference Between | Duty vs Tariff http://www.differencebetween.net/business/finance-business-2/difference-between-duty-and-tariff/#ixzz3s0Vsmn91

It is also economist speak for a price. Nothing more. Check out the presentation on page 10. By my old boss no less...

Ft should probably be described as a surcharge. It is in fact the difference between the predicted guestimate of their cost of energy versus the real cost for that period. However I suppose they have used this opportunity where fuel prices have more than halved to increase the actual price by more than 12%. To the layman it does not look like any increase as he merely checks his last bill against his current bill. There seems to be little or no change. When energy prices rise again they will jack up the Ft again and of course blame the increases on the underlying increase in prices for their fuel. All smoke and mirrors.

It's a bit like Snickers. They have a habit of increasing the size of the snickers and sell at the same price. What a bargain. However later they jack up the price but come on you are getting a bigger bar for your money. Then all of a sudden without any warning the bars regain their original dimensions but the price remains the same.

In a nutshell there is an increase overall of more than 12% in a deflationary environment. Absolute barefaced robbery.

Den

The Ft is not a tax or surcharge. It is a fuel adjustment mechanism. It varies because the cost of fuel used varies due to market price fluctuation. The Ft is calculated and approved every 4 months by the Energy Regulatory Commission. The tariff components are described on the presentation by the former ERC Commissioner posted earlier. The Ft, however, has 2 components a base Ft and a Change Ft. This 'refinement' was introduced because of policy directives to include the adder (now FIT) for renewable energy into the FT. Other subsidies, such as the 50 kWh free allocation is also included in the Ft.

ERC has chosen not to increase the Ft at the time of high fuel prices to 100% of the cost to spare the public from price shock. In that case, EGAT is asked to bear the burden. it's losses are compensated during time of low fuel prices by allowing a higher Ft than would normally have been charged.

My PEA bill for the last 6 months with the most recent on Nov. 16. 1st column - total charge. 2nd column - base cost per unit. 3rd column - cost per unit all inclusive. Normally my bill would be going down by now. If not for the -Ft it would 3300 Baht which is higher than any previous bill for the last 5 years for this month. So 11.9% increase in base cost from the previous month. So PEA reflects MEA as expected.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

There is a National Uniform Tariff (NUT) in Thailand. MEA and PEA charge the same rates for each different customer class.

There has not been any increase in the base rate. As per the presentation by the ERC Commissioner posted earlier, the electricity tariff is comprised of 3 components; the base rate; the Ft; and, VAT.

The base rate averages around 3.9 baht/kWh (depending on the different customer classes). The base rate is reset each 3 0 5 years by the ERC. A project commenced in 2011 to reset the base rate but the new rates have not yet been announced.

The Ft is set every 4 months by the ERC. VAT is changed only by Government order.

If you are being charged higher tariffs, then something else is at play. I cannot determine what might be happening based on the information supplied so far. PEA, MEA and EGAT have no discretion to change any tariff. The tariffs are ordered by ERC according to the structure that I outlined above.

Den

Power tariffs are not determined in the way that you describe. The information on the structure of the base tariff and the Ft and the way they are determined is fully described in Thai on the website www.erc.or.th

I have worked on two reviews of the base rate and they both have followed procedures laid down when the tariffs were designed in 1996 to be fully cost reflective. This meant that the government no longer subsidised any power consumer and the power utilities were fully commercial and self financing.

Each 4 months there is a public consultation on the Ft posted on the ERC website. You may make comments about the determination on the website (in Thai).

This is the best time for electric companies to quietly raise rates as this is the time of year when air con/electric usage rolls off due to cooler weather...Nov - Jan are significantly cooler months...especially Dec and Jan. So, if your electric usage is going down but they start increasing the price at the same time your bill probably won't reflect an increase from the previous month...probably even continue to go down "a little" but not as much as last year this time.

But if you have kept some of your old electric bills to compare your KWH hour usage and price to this time last year you may notice that something seems amiss...like you may have used a very similar amount of KWH as this time last year but your bill this year is still significantly higher than last year. Then you start figuring out there must have been a rate rise...you missed the rate rise memo (if a memo was even put out).

Since it appears the rate rise is going into affect 16 Nov I expect only people getting a bill on/after 16 Dec will feel the full impact of the rate rise. And if the govt waivers all or part of the Ft tariff for a period like they did several years ago to help ease a rate increase impact a person's bill may continue to resemble last year's bill. And a person's latest bill might reflect old rates or a combination of old and new rates. The coming months will tell.

Yea, I'm still looking for that govt memo on the electric rates increasing.

There is a National Uniform Tariff (NUT) in Thailand. MEA and PEA charge the same rates for each different customer class.

There has not been any increase in the base rate. As per the presentation by the ERC Commissioner posted earlier, the electricity tariff is comprised of 3 components; the base rate; the Ft; and, VAT.

The base rate averages around 3.9 baht/kWh (depending on the different customer classes). The base rate is reset each 3 0 5 years by the ERC. A project commenced in 2011 to reset the base rate but the new rates have not yet been announced.

The Ft is set every 4 months by the ERC. VAT is changed only by Government order.

If you are being charged higher tariffs, then something else is at play. I cannot determine what might be happening based on the information supplied so far. PEA, MEA and EGAT have no discretion to change any tariff. The tariffs are ordered by ERC according to the structure that I outlined above.

Take a look at the Jun 12 forward rates and 16 Nov 15 forward rates in my earlier post...open those PDF documents downloaded from the MEA website. You will notice a basic rate increase.

My data shows otherwise and reflects near 12% increase. The 2nd column in my post is the number of units divided by the base cost for those units, first line on the bill, which excludes Ft, VAT and the 38.22 Baht service fee. The 3rd column is the all inclusive cost/unit of base + Ft + VAT + service charge. This mirrors others experience posted here and what the OP shows.

This is the best time for electric companies to quietly raise rates as this is the time of year when air con/electric usage rolls off due to cooler weather...Nov - Jan are significantly cooler months...especially Dec and Jan. So, if your electric usage is going down but they start increasing the price at the same time your bill probably won't reflect an increase from the previous month...probably even continue to go down "a little" but not as much as last year this time.

But if you have kept some of your old electric bills to compare your KWH hour usage and price to this time last year you may notice that something seems amiss...like you may have used a very similar amount of KWH as this time last year but your bill this year is still significantly higher than last year. Then you start figuring out there must have been a rate rise...you missed the rate rise memo (if a memo was even put out).

Since it appears the rate rise is going into affect 16 Nov I expect only people getting a bill on/after 16 Dec will feel the full impact of the rate rise. And if the govt waivers all or part of the Ft tariff for a period like they did several years ago to help ease a rate increase impact a person's bill may continue to resemble last year's bill. And a person's latest bill might reflect old rates or a combination of old and new rates. The coming months will tell.

Yea, I'm still looking for that govt memo on the electric rates increasing.

The law is quite clear on how power tariffs are to be set. It is the Energy Industry Act 2007. There can be no surreptitious tariff increased by utilities on their own or by any order of government outside the legal procedures. If there was a new base tariff, it would be stated on the MEA and PEA website including the date of implementation. I have ERC on both twitter and Facebook and there has been no announcement of any tariff increase. If there is something going on, then it is not part of the tariff setting process as defined by law.

Perhaps people should invest in a smart meter then they can manage their power consumption more efficiently and effectively without the need for keeping paper bills and doing complicated long division to work things out.

How many times do we have to say it - the new rate is listed on the web site. This is the new residential service rate.

http://www.mea.or.th/profile/index.php?l=th&tid=3&mid=111&pid=109

Only when shown in Thai at this point in time. At the top right hand corner of the screen if clicking the English language icon it will still reflect the old Jun 12 rates versus the new 16 Nov rates. Guess they haven't got around to updating their English language pages yet with the new rates...no doubt they will soon.

But clicking back and forth between the Thai and English language icons will show a person the old and new rates.

My data shows otherwise and reflects near 12% increase. The 2nd column in my post is the number of units divided by the base cost for those units, first line on the bill, which excludes Ft, VAT and the 38.22 Baht service fee. The 3rd column is the all inclusive cost/unit of base + Ft + VAT + service charge. This mirrors others experience posted here and what the OP shows.

The difference in price is due to the Ft and not a change in base tariff. What people may call the base tariff here on TVF after looking at the retail residential tariffs on the MEA or PEA website is not the actual base tariff. The base tariff comprises the transmission and distribution network costs as well as retail supply costs. Generation costs are captured by the Ft.

ERC announced a change in the Ft downwards http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNSOC5810010010021 to reflect changes in the financial criteria for the utilities and changes in investment plans.

The consultation for the November - December period was held at the end of September and the full documentation in Thai is here http://www.erc.or.th/ERCWeb2/Front/PublicHearing/PublicHearingDetail.aspx?rid=259

As fare as I can see there has been no change to the base tariff. All that has changed is the Ft, which is set every 4 months as usual.

The difference in price is due to the Ft and not a change in base tariff. What people may call the base tariff here on TVF after looking at the retail residential tariffs on the MEA or PEA website is not the actual base tariff. The base tariff comprises the transmission and distribution network costs as well as retail supply costs. Generation costs are captured by the Ft.

I don't know how more I can spell it out to you. The change I posted has nothing to do with the Ft. There were two changes in this billing cycle, the base charge and the Ft charge. The base went up and the Ft went down to a negative charge.

My topic on the negative Ft charge - Negative electricity FT (fuel tax) from PEA

I don't know how more I can spell it out to you. The change I posted has nothing to do with the Ft. There were two changes in this billing cycle, the base charge and the Ft charge. The base went up and the Ft went down to a negative charge.

My topic on the negative Ft charge - Negative electricity FT (fuel tax) from PEA

You can spell it out as many times as you like. I know the law. If the base tariff has increased, it has to follow the law. It will be published through normal channels. If you are paying more then you are being illegally charged and you can sue someone. Until there is a notification issued approving a change in the base tariff then there is none. I do not know why your calculations come out the way they do. Perhaps you can consult the utility.

Here is the law in English http://www.erc.or.th/ERCWeb2/EN/Front/StaticPage/StaticPageEN.aspx?p=12&Tag=Energy%20Industry%20Act%202007%20(Unofficial%20Translation)&muid=13&prid=14 Division 3 Part 2 Tariffs for the Energy Industry Operation. All sections apply to this discussion but please pay particular attention to S71.

Maybe they are rebaselining the basic rates & Ft by rolling-in the current Ft to the basic rates. That is, the new 16 Nov basic rates were basically the old Jun12 rates plus current Ft. When you roll-in the current Ft with the old basic rates you get real, real close to the new 16 Nov basic rates. Then the new Ft would have a new start at 0.0 baht....and the new Ft may even be adjusted monthly instead of every 4 months as current.

When the dust settles a person's electric bill would still be approximately the same since the great bulk of an electric bill is the basic rate plus Ft....the other two minor components being the monthly service charge of around Bt38 and the 7% VAT.

But one thing for sure, the MEA webpage still shows the Jun 12 basic rates on their English language page (probably haven't updated it yet) but on their Thai language page they have the new, higher 16 Nov basic rates.

Maybe they are rebaselining the basic rates & Ft by rolling-in the current Ft to the basic rates. That is, the new 16 Nov basic rates were basically the old Jun12 rates plus current Ft. When you roll-in the current Ft with the old basic rates you get real, real close to the new 16 Nov basic rates. Then the new Ft would have a new start at 0.0 baht....and the new Ft may even be adjusted monthly instead of every 4 months as current.

When the dust settles a person's electric bill would still be approximately the same since the great bulk of an electric bill is the basic rate plus Ft....the other two minor components being the monthly service charge of around Bt38 and the 7% VAT.

But one thing for sure, the MEA webpage still shows the Jun 12 basic rates on their English language page (probably haven't updated it yet) but on their Thai language page they have the new, higher 16 Nov basic rates.

Yea, I think that is what they are doing...they are rebaselining the basic rates and Ft. I say this because before I wrote above post I stumbled upon a Thailand Energy Regulatory Commission webpage which talked rate restructuring but couldn't find it again before finishing above post. I have now found it again and listed it below with some snapshots from it.

The webpage is in Thai but google translated can translate it...4 PDF attachments are in Thai also but google translate can't translate those image based PDFs. But when looking at certain areas with those PDF files you can see where they combined the old basic rates with the Ft to get a new basic rate. And the webpage also talks about going to a monthly adjusted Ft versus every 4 months. A few cuts and pastes below along with the webpage I'm talking about.

http://www.erc.or.th/ERCWeb2/Front/PublicHearing/PublicHearingDetail.aspx?rid=251

post-55970-0-30026700-1448019528_thumb.j

post-55970-0-32646500-1448019628_thumb.j

Yea, I think that is what they are doing...they are rebaselining the basic rates and Ft. I say this because before I wrote above post I stumbled upon a Thailand Energy Regulatory Commission webpage which talked rate restructuring but couldn't find it again before finishing above post. I have now found it again and listed it below with some snapshots from it.

The webpage is in Thai but google translated can translate it...4 PDF attachments are in Thai also but google translate can't translate those image based PDFs. But when looking at certain areas with those PDF files you can see where they combined the old basic rates with the Ft to get a new basic rate. And the webpage also talks about going to a monthly adjusted Ft versus every 4 months. A few cuts and pastes below along with the webpage I'm talking about.

http://www.erc.or.th/ERCWeb2/Front/PublicHearing/PublicHearingDetail.aspx?rid=251

Yes, this is the formal notice of the new tariff structure commencing November 2015 for 2 years. The notice mentions that the last adjustment was 2012. This decision was taken in September but this is the first I have seen of it.

I'm sure that Energy Regulatory Commission notice which was really just some meeting minutes and was buried deep on their website is something that every Thai will see....I'm sure they got the memo/a copy of the meeting minutes. It's just us farangs that missed the memo/probably not on the ERC's mailing or email list. tongue.png