Prepare to pay 35 baht more for plane tickets

webfact

Prepare to Pay 35 Baht More for Plane Tickets
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14479285111447928590l.jpg
Airport staff demonstrate security protocols June 25 at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Beginning in December, air travelers will need to pay another 35 baht when traveling through Thailand’s six major airports to pay for upgraded security systems.

Six months after an alarming security lapse exposed outdated systems at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the company managing them today announced its new passenger processing system will speed the immigration process and comply with international standards. Even more conveniently, passengers will be informed at check-in whether they are blacklisted by their destination countries.

“When the passenger check-in at the counter, the system will verify with the immigration database,” Nitinai Sirismatthakarn of Airports of Thailand said Wednesday in Dailynews. “The system will immediately respond back that the passenger is not allowed to leave or enter the country if they are on a blacklist.

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447928511&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-20

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have paid gladly 350 baht and not 35 baht, if only I knew it WILL MAKE A DIFFERANT,

but it will not, those 35 baht will go into someone pockets, and to tell the airport security

guys to be on the lookout for a cans of soda...

Isn't this what it all comes down to, where the extra money will actually go ?

I'd think most of us would happily pay extra for security but as always here when it comes to money there's always a big BUT involved so how much of this cash will be siphoned off, sorry I mean used for administrative costs etc.

I would have paid gladly 350 baht and not 35 baht, if only I knew it WILL MAKE A DIFFERANT,

but it will not, those 35 baht will go into someone pockets, and to tell the airport security

guys to be on the lookout for a cans of soda...

yeah, someone in charge must be building condos and the price has increased

Happy to pay 35 baht for even the slightest improvement. Our local airport security in Surattani is a joke. I dont even worry about having over sized liquids in my carry on and as far as I can tell the body xray doesn't even work. And my friend brings foot long spikes for his bamboo tattoo business in pvc pipes no problem on carry on.

I wonder how many countries adopt the policy of making their visitors pay for protection? Furthermore on paying this extra fee, how can webe assured we are getting value for money?

1: All countries do :rolleyes: Do you think airports are run with money that falls from the sky?

2: We can't be

Edited by SABloke

Although, only 35 baht, add that to the millions of passengers we are talking about lots of Baht. When I purchase a ticket departing from Thailand the taxes are already 50% of the ticket price.

Just be grateful the taxes aren't similar to the UK.

PS - have they stopped people from stealing cash during the X-raying of baggage?...or is that to pay for security too?

Always take your notes out of any wallet and have them in your pocket when going through Thai airport security. They tend to rotate scams. This one has not been in vogue for a while but may make a comeback at any time.

And in other news, between October 2014 and June 2015, AoT recorded 12.8 billion baht ($358 million) net profit. In fiscal 2014 it made a 12 billion baht ($355 million) net profit.

Edited by AyG

get a grip mate, if the money already coming in at this airport was not being syphoned then we would not have to pay additional cash

just remember how well the national flagship airline is doing bah.gifsick.gif

I wonder how many countries adopt the policy of making their visitors pay for protection? Furthermore on paying this extra fee, how can webe assured we are getting value for money?

1: All countries do rolleyes.gif Do you think airports are run with money that falls from the sky?

2: We can't be

North Korea does :) you need a "minder" with you at ALL times outside of your hotel.

...so they can continue giving annual bonuses to AOT staff...(equivalent to 7 months' salary and more)....

...this above the hidden 700 baht per head....and who knows what other charges....

...which begs the question...where does all the money from immigration and visas go.......never heard......

I thought most airports had an airport tax or similar tax for the facilities it provides - are there ANY exceptions?

And of course does ANY airport guarantee 100% security - payed for or not?

coffee1.gif

Funny how every thread to do with charges gets turned into a tea money thread. Easy forget the upgrade as Thai Visa users belive you put the money in your pockets they don't care if airports here in Thailand fail to spot terrorists as long as you don't get your tea money

35 Baht!!! OMG!!

I'm glad I was sat down when I read this.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to cope.

Look at your next booking (domestic for example) what the ticket costs are and how high the other costs are.....Hint: it is not the first time the airport+security fee was increased.....and recall in the past it was possible for a 200 Baht total.

But thanks to massive corruption, mismanagement, wrong investments etc etc it is very high now.

Happy to pay 35 baht for even the slightest improvement. Our local airport security in Surattani is a joke. I dont even worry about having over sized liquids in my carry on and as far as I can tell the body xray doesn't even work. And my friend brings foot long spikes for his bamboo tattoo business in pvc pipes no problem on carry on.

Can i happily not pay it for the non existent extra security.