Australian trio arrested in Bolivia accused of trying to board flight to Brazil with explosives

webfact

Australian trio arrested in Bolivia accused of trying to board flight to Brazil with explosives
Lia Timson and Liam Mannix

SYDNEY: -- Three young Australians apparently on the holiday of a lifetime have been arrested at a Bolivian international airport after explosives were found in one of the men's backpack.

Australians Julian Giovanni Vicenzo Musumeci, 24, Justin Maurice Kwong Wei Sun, 25, and Liam Mark Eales, 25, were reported by Bolivian and Brazilian news outlets as been held in custody in Bolivia awaiting a judge's orders after their arrest last week.

It is understood two of the men have now been released but remain in Bolivia, while the remaining man awaits trial, according to Liam Eales' father Geoff.

Unverified photo published by several Bolivian media outlets showing the backpack and contents Bolivian police said could be used as a homemade explosive device.

The trio were stopped while waiting to board flight G3 7601 on Brazilian airline Gol at Viru Viru International Airport in Santa Cruz de La Sierra bound for South America's busiest airport, Guarulhos, in Sao Paulo on November 12.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/australian-trio-arrested-in-bolivia-accused-of-trying-to-board-flight-to-brazil-with-explosives-20151119-gl3l7j#ixzz3s0RUCKjZ

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2015-11-20

Yep.. Australians Julian Giovanni Vicenzo Musumeci, 24, Justin Maurice Kwong Wei Sun.. true blue Aussies names, fair dinkum, bonzer mate, bloody oath, bob yer uncle, crack a tinni , have a go at my shilla Aussies blocks...

Yep.. Australians Julian Giovanni Vicenzo Musumeci, 24, Justin Maurice Kwong Wei Sun.. true blue Aussies names,

fair dinkum, bonzer mate, bloody oath, bob yer uncle, crack a tinni , have a go at my shilla Aussies blocks...

Yup, their great grandparents did not sail in from Britain for sure.

Yep.. Australians Julian Giovanni Vicenzo Musumeci, 24, Justin Maurice Kwong Wei Sun.. true blue Aussies names, fair dinkum, bonzer mate, bloody oath, bob yer uncle, crack a tinni , have a go at my shilla Aussies blocks...

Well yes...Julian, Justin doesn't sound like radical Muslims.

And true Aussie names? Australia was just recently discovered, beside Aborigines all Australians are recent immigrants.

Yep.. Australians Julian Giovanni Vicenzo Musumeci, 24, Justin Maurice Kwong Wei Sun.. true blue Aussies names,

fair dinkum, bonzer mate, bloody oath, bob yer uncle, crack a tinni , have a go at my shilla Aussies blocks...

Yup, their great grandparents did not sail in from Britain for sure.

Might be a bit different if their parents sailed in today though from Blighty....................................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth

SAMRAN....What, pray tell was racist about the very funny reply EZZRA submitted? Apart from you having a go at EZZRA, why don't you get back into your spaceship and go back to where you came from? Is that RACIST?

You're kidding right? You seriously do not get the point? You defend the grubby racist mumblings of that other poster, why? He does not define what it means to be Australian. Neither do you. 30 years ago, some places in Queensland and the Northern Territory provided cover for the anglo-racist simpletons who could not handle dealing with Asian or other non-white faces. Now even those places do not provide a home for such grubbiness.

The kind of humour that seems to turn you on is usually stamped out after kindergarten. In supposedly mature adults, it is just nasty, unbecoming and immature. You may take this on board your own imaginary flying saucer.

What, did you register a new username just to make that attack on samran?

Edited by lostboy

SAMRAN....What, pray tell was racist about the very funny reply EZZRA submitted? Apart from you having a go at EZZRA, why don't you get back into your spaceship and go back to where you came from? Is that RACIST?

No, not as long as your advice doesn't reference space aliens. That's when it gets seriously RACIST.

In an attempt to get this thread somewhere resembling on-topic:

"El Deber later reported a backpack alleged to belong to Musumeci contained "a dynamite canister, a detonator and a bag of pink granules yet to be identified" which police said could be used as a homemade explosive device." - The Sydney Morning Herald article - Nov 20 2015

Edited by MaxYakov

dunno, you are the expert.

Think you should change your newly minted TV name from 'tagalong' to 'stalker'. Suits you better....

Probably not. But its stupid.

I know 2 families that originated from China but have been in Australia since 1860 when the gold rushes occurred. I also know some Irish and British people who only arrived in Australia 25 years ago. So "Whats in a name - Struth I dunno" to quote a famous old Aussie, C.J.Dennis.

No, not as long as your advice doesn't reference space aliens. That's when it gets seriously RACIST.

In an attempt to get this thread somewhere resembling on-topic:

"El Deber later reported a backpack alleged to belong to Musumeci contained "a dynamite canister, a detonator and a bag of pink granules yet to be identified" which police said could be used as a homemade explosive device." - The Sydney Morning Herald article - Nov 20 2015

They just came from a mining city. Could it be that these were just stupid souvenirs?

I know 2 families that originated from China but have been in Australia since 1860 when the gold rushes occurred. I also know some Irish and British people who only arrived in Australia 25 years ago. So "Whats in a name - Struth I dunno" to quote a famous old Aussie, C.J.Dennis.

Indeed. Some of the old (Chinese Australian) geezers in 'chinatown' in Melbourne speak with the strongest Aussie accent imaginable

Hate to tell you this but Australia has citizens from over 230 counties, does your country have this range of acceptance? I work with a good range of them.

As Samran pointed out, if you are going to try and have go at Aussies you might try to improve your spelling of Aussie slang old and current.

If Samran got back into his ship and went back to where he came from he would be in Australia.

Can I offer some insight.

Dig out a dictionary from somewhere and look for the word STAUNCH.

We tolerate new Australians but we don't accept them until they learn to be staunch and they always do.

Americans talk about earning the right. Australians talk about learning the right.

Something that only Australians would understand.

GOD'S COUNTRY.

You're kidding right? You seriously do not get the point? You defend the grubby racist mumblings of that other poster, why? He does not define what it means to be Australian. Neither do you. 30 years ago, some places in Queensland and the Northern Territory provided cover for the anglo-racist simpletons who could not handle dealing with Asian or other non-white faces. Now even those places do not provide a home for such grubbiness.

The kind of humour that seems to turn you on is usually stamped out after kindergarten. In supposedly mature adults, it is just nasty, unbecoming and immature. You may take this on board your own imaginary flying saucer.

And the whole country is now scared to call a spade a spade due to the overwhelming policies of the PC correct do gooders.

Sounds like you are a typical city dweller who hasn't been anywhere else.

Guess what,I used to call my Abo mate a blackfella. He called me a whitefella. We both called each other mate.

Whoa ...wouldn't the pc mob be baying for blood and shredding their nighties at this revelation. It might come as a surprise but not all blackfellas are whining, carping, "activists". many just want to get on with their lives regardless of what the left wing media try and ram down peoples throats.

Hopefully they will snap out of this and get back to being Aussies, proud and welcoming of those want to be here for the right reasons and have the balls to tell those who don't to p!ss off!

This muslim crap may be the catalyst needed.

And the whole country is now scared to call a spade a spade due to the overwhelming policies of the PC correct do gooders.

Guess what,I used to call my Abo mate a blackfella. He called me a whitefella. We both called each other mate.

Whoa ...wouldn't the pc mob be baying for blood and shredding their nighties at this revelation. It might come as a surprise but not all blackfellas are whining, carping, "activists". many just want to get on with their lives regardless of what the left wing media try and ram down peoples throats.

Hopefully they will snap out of this and get back to being Aussies, proud and welcoming of those want to be here for the right reasons and have the balls to tell those who don't to p!ss off!

Don't necessarily disagree.

Just imagine if these boys had been muslim?

Poor old Ezza and his mates would have fair dinkum creamed their daks.

Now there is some good aussie slang for Ezza to shove up his clacker....

How do you know they were not Muslims,or do you think they are all named Mohammad?

Thank you for sharing your touching story of cross cultural bonding and fellowship. Oh wait, didn't I see that in an old Chips Rafferty movie on the old black and white? Or maybe I am thinking of David Gulpilil and Paul Hogan. In any case, I am struggling to work out what this has to do with a trio of Aussie lads in Bolivia who have been denigrate by some nasty old racist for not having proper Aussie names. I am also struggling to work out your argument. Calling your mate an ago is not being anti-PC. It's being a mate. This is way different from some stupid, ignorant stereotyping based on people's names.

Your attack on me misses the mark. I choose to not stereotype people based on race or gender or sexual orientation (or even not on geographic location) because I respect diversity. I also was taught manners. Being PC is the same as being polite. Even for a boy from the bush like you would understand that what you call your mate on the muster is not the same language you use in polite company when you are wearing your Sund'y best.

I have worked with Aboriginal people. While most of my work was on the Anangu lands in Central Australia, I have had the good fortune to visit and work in every single Aboriginal homeland in South Australia and the NT. I was born on a farm. Most of my extended family are farmers and one even graduated from jackaroo to helicopter pilot having graduated on outback musters. I would probably be able to stand toe to toe with you on my ocker credentials.

Anyway, then I read your last sentence and am confused again.

I wish all the best to the Aussie lads in Bolivia. I don't need to refer to them as Italian-Australian, Chinese-Australian and whatever the other guy is. I fully agree with you that being an Aussie is a franchise that can be extended to all who want to be one regardless of ethnic origin.

Edited by lostboy

Indeed. Some of the old (Chinese Australian) geezers in 'chinatown' in Melbourne speak with the strongest Aussie accent imaginable

Same with the Chinese descendants from the pearling luggers in Broome, walk into a Chinese restaurant there and it's " G'day mite, tike a seat and the witetress'll be with yer soon "

I think everyone is missing the point here. Yes Australia is a multicultural society, but we read all to often in the world news that these so called Australian citizens have commited a crime. The names are irrellivant, but more than likely they have only been in Australia for this or possibly one generation. They may be naturalized Australians but do not have our heritage. If you go to Sydney there is a huge problem with one ethnic community, whos sons have been taught the old country ways & think they can do what ever they want. This includes mafia style crime, gang rape, murder, theft, etc, the list goes on. These people were born in Australia & have no respect for Australian values & way of life. This is why a lot of us Australians are feed up with our society being trashed.

How do you know they were not Muslims,or do you think they are all named Mohammad?

Keep cracking away there fifty-four.

You'll get there one day....

You need to improve a bit on the spelling side of your racist diatribe. People might think you are stupid or something...
Would agree with Samran, it is a racist rant. I have an Anglo name but many people I went to school with sure didn't and they were as Aussie as I am.

Australia is multi-ethnic, being Australian is an attitude not a genetic qualification, White Australia Policy fortunately ended long ago. Seems though that some attitudes die hard.

I see you're another who has no idea of the definition of words or how to use them in the right context. Ezzra referred to Aussie names, no reference to their nationality, therefore not referring to race or superiority of a certain race over another shows your lack of knowledge so really, all you are doing is playing the racist card. Also, check on the definition of rant, you will be surprised that you really have no idea of it's meaning.

Are you able to explain how it is a racist rant? Just like samran, learn a couple of new words and use them in blissful ignorance. Play tell, why have you alluded to the white Australia Policy in your post, I see nothing mentiond by ezzra that even remotely associates with that. I suggest that you too should educate yourself in that regard as well before decrying another in a completely meaningless way.

You need to improve a bit on the spelling side of your racist diatribe. People might think you are stupid or something...

I see that not only yourself but a few others are having a go at Ezzra for posting a supposedly racist diatribe or rant. If it is as you describe, then I believe that the mods, who, I feel, have a clear understanding of the words, would delete his post it it was offending. In my opinion, what has been posted doesnt fit the defintion of either word so maybe you should stop playing the racist card and understand that the poster is writing and spelling, tongue in cheek. And no, I do not find it amusing, nor do I find it a racist diatribe or rant.

It would be intersesting for you and those who jibe with your post to explain why it is a racist diatribe post, rather then what it is, a tongue in cheek response. I see you have attracted a mafgnitude of likes for your berating of the poster. I didn't realise there were so many who also believe that he is being racist. Why do so many on here play likes for those who rebuke others, it stands out like the proverbial, that if you do, then the negatives attract the negatives and many jump on the criticism bandwagon.

If you and others took time to learn the difinition of both words and looked at some truely racist and biggoted statements then maybe many would see this for what it is and not as you described and that what you have written in a truely meaningless post. Maybe you should learn the definitions before you try to put those two words together in the same sentence, and before one suggests that other people might think that another might be stupid or something, then maybe that person should look at themselves before proffering such ill informed criticism.

Perhaps I got a huge amount of 'likes' for one simple reason, they, like me, know it when they see it.

You might want to throw a dictionary and thesaurus at me. Fine, if that is all you have got, you don't really understand the issue, and never will. Trying to put it down to a 'tongue in cheek' line just really shows you have no clue.

Comments like his come from the most nasty of sources - from those who seek to divide and put one group of people over 'there' with snarky comments alluding to the fact 'well they aren't really Australian'.

As if he gets to judge.

It is all about the motives of exclusion, and yes, when you start doing that, you do think you are better than others.

These people get my contempt and I'll serve it back with the ridicule they deserve.

I see that not only yourself but a few others are having a go at Ezzra for posting a supposedly racist diatribe or rant. If it is as you describe, then I believe that the mods, who, I feel, have a clear understanding of the words, would delete his post it it was offending. In my opinion, what has been posted doesnt fit the defintion of either word so maybe you should stop playing the racist card and understand that the poster is writing and spelling, tongue in cheek. And no, I do not find it amusing, nor do I find it a racist diatribe or rant.

It would be intersesting for you and those who jibe with your post to explain why it is a racist diatribe post, rather then what it is, a tongue in cheek response. I see you have attracted a mafgnitude of likes for your berating of the poster. I didn't realise there were so many who also believe that he is being racist. Why do so many on here play likes for those who rebuke others, it stands out like the proverbial, that if you do, then the negatives attract the negatives and many jump on the criticism bandwagon.

If you and others took time to learn the difinition of both words and looked at some truely racist and biggoted statements then maybe many would see this for what it is and not as you described and that what you have written in a truely meaningless post. Maybe you should learn the definitions before you try to put those two words together in the same sentence, and before one suggests that other people might think that another might be stupid or something, then maybe that person should look at themselves before proffering such ill informed criticism.

Perhaps I got a huge amount of 'likes' for one simple reason, they, like me, know it when they see it.

You might want to throw a dictionary and thesaurus at me. Fine, if that is all you have got, you don't really understand the issue, and never will. Trying to put it down to a 'tongue in cheek' line just really shows you have no clue.

Comments like his come from the most nasty of sources - from those who seek to divide and put one group of people over 'there' with snarky comments alluding to the fact 'well they aren't really Australian'.

As if he gets to judge.

It is all about the motives of exclusion, and yes, when you start doing that, you do think you are better than others.

These people get my contempt and I'll serve it back with the ridicule they deserve.

No, they are just as blinded to the situation as you are. If you read into his post that he is trying to divide then you are really drawing a long bow. As for the rest or your post, it doesn't warrant comment.

I think everyone is missing the point here. Yes Australia is a multicultural society, but we read all to often in the world news that these so called Australian citizens have commited a crime. The names are irrellivant, but more than likely they have only been in Australia for this or possibly one generation. They may be naturalized Australians but do not have our heritage. If you go to Sydney there is a huge problem with one ethnic community, whos sons have been taught the old country ways & think they can do what ever they want. This includes mafia style crime, gang rape, murder, theft, etc, the list goes on. These people were born in Australia & have no respect for Australian values & way of life. This is why a lot of us Australians are feed up with our society being trashed.

It's claimed all three are uni students who bought the explosive whilst visiting a mining town. Utter stupidity to try & board an aircraft with explosive, but have to assume idiots and not criminals with intent to cause harm.

Plenty of bogans & criminals whose Australian heritage goes back generations whose activities include the very worst of crimes, but hey let's ignore that truth & only focus on new immigrants.

Would agree with Samran, it is a racist rant. I have an Anglo name but many people I went to school with sure didn't and they were as Aussie as I am.

Australia is multi-ethnic, being Australian is an attitude not a genetic qualification, White Australia Policy fortunately ended long ago. Seems though that some attitudes die hard.

I see you're another who has no idea of the definition of words or how to use them in the right context. Ezzra referred to Aussie names, no reference to their nationality, therefore not referring to race or superiority of a certain race over another shows your lack of knowledge so really, all you are doing is playing the racist card. Also, check on the definition of rant, you will be surprised that you really have no idea of it's meaning.

Are you able to explain how it is a racist rant? Just like samran, learn a couple of new words and use them in blissful ignorance. Play tell, why have you alluded to the white Australia Policy in your post, I see nothing mentiond by ezzra that even remotely associates with that. I suggest that you too should educate yourself in that regard as well before decrying another in a completely meaningless way.

Look out, the dictionary police are here! Perhaps you might enlighten we mere plebs exactly what authority you have to declare any definition of any word valid or invalid? You got a post grad in etymology? You speak classical Greek, Latin and Old English so you know the root definitions of most of the words in the English language? Of course you don't. Your instructions to others to learn definitions are a clumsy attempt to hide the fact that you have absolutely no substance to your argument. Samran provided a quite insightful rationale for the impact of discrimination based on race. What was your response? Superciliousness. "That is not worthy of a response". Rubbish. You just don't have the chops to take him on or provide a rationale for your nonsense claims about others and their 'misunderstanding' of certain words.

You demand explanations of others and when they are provided, you run for the hills.

Inclusivity, respect for diversity, politeness. These are what the bitter, grumpy old, white, straight men of this forum hate. They moan about PC and how Donald Trump is going to fix everything. And get the West back to normal i.e. protecting the privileged.

You mention the White Australia Policy. You demand to know why this is relevant. Well, I could point to the fact that one of the students that Ezra attacked had a Chinese sounding name, which he rubbished as being not Australian enough. But since you represent the pedantic, pompous stuffed shirt brigade, let me point out that part of the White Australia policy was a dictation test. "A person had to be able to write down something read to them in a European language by a government official" https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy

This law was used until 1958 which brushes up against my era.

The designer of this racist, chauvinist, xenophobic test didn't happen to be any relation of yours did he?

Maybe you can answer samran and show some integrity instead of being a blow hard.

Edited by lostboy