Low hanging wires - who you gonna call?

tropo

There are low hanging wires running across the road in front of my house - lots of them. They are not power lines, but an assortment of Internet, TV and telephone lines. I suspect that many are no longer in use.

They will be cut by passing high trucks and buses. One was already cut today.

I had a talk to some Thai neighbours, but as expected was met with blank stares. I could almost hear them thinking: "why would you want to do that, they aren't cut yet - wait until the are".smile.png

At some stage someone in the neighbourhood will lose TV, phone or Internet and then call their provider, but they will only fix their particular line and leave the rest hanging.

As there is no one entity responsible and they are not electric, who can you call to tidy them up and prevent them from being cut?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are a tourist attraction for the 32 million on their way this year.

Even I took photos of them when I first came here biggrin.png

The ones I like best are the those that have a delightful blue aura in the rain and buzzing sound the rest of the time.

These ones are not really bad, there's far worse down our soi, but these ones are crossing a road and will be cut, sooner than later.

I agree about the "attraction". I've taken some photos of some really bad areas myself. At Tukcom there are some that you have to duck under when walking on the footpath.

I had a talk to some Thai neighbours, but as expected was met with blank stares. I could almost hear them thinking: "why would you want to do that, they aren't cut yet - wait until the are".

You already know the Thai answer: wait till it breaks.

If you feel that you must intervene then you can contact any cable operators that provide service to your area (Sophon for a start) and the various DSL/fibre providers.

But I doubt that any of them will understand the point of fixing it before it breaks either.

OK thanks, but that's no solution as there are about 20 cables hanging between the poles. The way you word it, it's like you think I'm interfering with the nature process here. These cables are directly above my front entrance. The first one cut today hangs down over my driveway, so yes, I feel I should intervene.

Surely there must be someone from the municipal council tasked with the job of keeping wires off roadways or at least above the cars and trucks which use them?

These wires are strategically placed so that they may break the fall for victims of balcony "accidents".

If the fall don't get you, the wires will.

There are no highrise balconies above these particular wires. It was merely lazy cable laying by many technicians over a decade or so which lead to this mess.

If they fix those...won't they have to raise the neighbors wires? This could be a long process.

No, it is merely 20 wires strung between two poles, Some cable ties may be the only solution.

Seems to me that you should contact the electric company and/or the municipal hall for your area. We had success in Udon..but it was not wires. Our problem was an accumulation of cow manure (really) behind a vacant building where we rented a house. We were just renting, but my wife feigned that she was the owner and called the municipal hall. They sent inspectors out..(two young ladies, dressed rather nicely). They literally ran back to the car, holding their noses. High heels and skirts...it was funny. One week later, the owner of the stray cows was packing his manure. This story is true. It was "within the city" by the airport.

I gave up calling T.O.T. after ten years about an internet cable that literally touches the ground after a nearby tree branch hit it in a storm. If a car swerves toward it and cuts it, about 12 families will lose service.

Even the owners of those cables don't care, so don't lose any sleep.

I gave up calling T.O.T. after ten years about an internet cable that literally touches the ground after a nearby tree branch hit it in a storm. If a car swerves toward it and cuts it, about 12 families will lose service.

So the only solution is to wait until a service has been cut, and then call the service to reconnect? I think you might be right.

OK thanks, but that's no solution as there are about 20 cables hanging between the poles.

There may be 20 cables but they probably all belong to only a handful of companies. I dont expect that any of them will care but you never know.

Yes, and most likely more than half are no longer in use. I don't think anyone is likely to care until someone reports a service outage.

Not sure if this will help.

Last Thursday I was reading that day's editions of the Nation and the Post in Starbucks, in which there was a lage advertorial explaining what number to call in case of wire problems on street electrical posts. I think it was a PEA advert.

Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, these wires are definitely not electrical wires. They are higher up and don't cross the road.

One way to resolve this problem is to plant a tree directly below the cables. It will grow higher, lifting the cables with it.

Depending on the species of tree, this could be much quicker than waiting for the authorities to act.

Unfortunately these wires are over a road. I don't expect anyone to act on this unless they are contacted, but who do I call, that's my question.

You actually called TOT for 10 years about this cable?

No repairs yet and no car swerved towards it in 10 years?

Don't lose hope.

A couple of years ago I watched a cable company employee shimmy across the cables, above the traffic outside Big C in Pattaya Klang

I wish I had taken a video......as nobody believes me when I tell people of the unreal "happenings" in our "adopted" beloved Thailand

As someone said ......cables are part of the foreign experience when vistors come here

If the low slung cables causes you anxiety or if they really do present a public safety threat inform the Tassaban !

When calling the Tessaban be sure to use your best Thai to explain the problem or get a real Thai person to make the report.

They don't cause me much anxiety nor are they a public safety threat as they are not power lines. I was just checking to see if anyone in Pattaya would have a contact number of someone to call. I would not be doing the talking and as you suggested, would get a real Thai person to report it.

Upon reflection I'm going to stick with the traditional Thai approach - wait until the lines are cut. If I see a guy splicing in some new line I'll go out and get him to tie the lines up for me.

TOT and Sophon Cable I can do without for a day or three. My CAT fiber optic line will probably be fixed within the day as they have very good customer service.

Anyone know what's happened (if anything) with those concrete poles in Pattaya (or Chonburi?) couple of months ago that collapsed due to the abundance of cables? If I recall official advise was to "be careful" when walking near the mess which was now at street level.

I seem to recall an article from a year or so ago that reported on the City Hall planning to require all involved companies to clean up the cable/wire situation in Pattaya.

It included a photo that looked like the mess on 2nd road near Pattaya Klang

Perhaps City Hall would be a good place to call.