Low hanging wires - who you gonna call?

tropo

Yeah it amazed me when I first arrived as well. The ones that most surprised me though was an walkway overpass in Bangkok. As I was walking up the steps holding onto the rail I start to wires all over the place, then a sing both in Thai and English "Warning Electrical Hazard. Don't tough metal rail"

Guess that was easier than moving the wires

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the low slung cables causes you anxiety or if they really do present a public safety threat inform the Tassaban !

When calling the Tessaban be sure to use your best Thai to explain the problem or get a real Thai person to make the report.

They don't cause me much anxiety nor are they a public safety threat as they are not power lines. I was just checking to see if anyone in Pattaya would have a contact number of someone to call. I would not be doing the talking and as you suggested, would get a real Thai person to report it.

Upon reflection I'm going to stick with the traditional Thai approach - wait until the lines are cut. If I see a guy splicing in some new line I'll go out and get him to tie the lines up for me.

TOT and Sophon Cable I can do without for a day or three. My CAT fiber optic line will probably be fixed within the day as they have very good customer service.

Don't jump to conclusions - I have seen bungalows power literally wired with something akin to Speaker wire.........don't be surprised if you find a 'hot one' in that pile of Telephone line.thumbsup.gif

Edited by TunnelRat69

hello,

Yes the cables are not pretty. In some areas of Bangkok they are going to be put underground.

put a complaint into the regulator but really I dont think it will work...

Office of The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission

87 Phaholythin 8 (Soi Sailom), Samsen Nai, Phayathai, Bangkok 10400. Thailand

Tel : +66 (0) 2271 - 0151 , Call Center : 1200 (Press 2)

Fax : +66 (0) 2271 - 3516

Coincidentally, early Sunday/Monday morning some wires that was strung across Highway 7 that was torn/cut loose and was hanging into the road and was wreaking damage onto cars and buses

so far, no organization has 'owned up' to those wires

post-237711-0-32258800-1448337940_thumb.

post-237711-0-55996500-1448337947_thumb.

post-237711-0-63875600-1448337977_thumb.

You know why this is not a problem in the West ?

Because you have to pay to use the poles, be it electric or phone. Don't pay and your wires will be removed

Such a simple solution would never work here in Thailand because once again, there is no enforcement

Believe me, if Sophon, or TOT, or TRUE, or CAT or 3BB had to pay, there would be no extra unused cables on the poles

Because you have to pay to use the poles, be it electric or phone. Don't pay and your wires will be removed

Such a simple solution would never work here in Thailand because once again, there is no enforcement

Believe me, if Sophon, or TOT, or TRUE, or CAT or 3BB had to pay, there would be no extra unused cables on the poles

The west have different standards and enforcement than here in Thailand. Just like they sent 3 boys to install my fibre to the home when one could do.

In Australia they pay only a small amount to the electricity companies and most cable is underground.

I counted 20 wires between the 2 poles crossing the road. Most of those must be old and dormant as there just aren't that many services available in my area. Venture to say that the majority of line "webs" we see all over town are probably dormant, unused lines and amount to nothing more than wire pollution.

Let's say that one day the council made an effort to rid the streets of unused wire - how would they know which line belonged to which company. Are these lines marked in any way?

I gave up calling T.O.T. after ten years about an internet cable that literally touches the ground after a nearby tree branch hit it in a storm. If a car swerves toward it and cuts it, about 12 families will lose service.

Even the owners of those cables don't care, so don't lose any sleep.

You actually called TOT for 10 years about this cable?

No repairs yet and no car swerved towards it in 10 years?

Don't lose hope.

Occasionally propping the cable up on a nearby fence post, I'm sure, helped reduce the probabilities of an entanglement with a car.