I just can't stand the noise in this country

johnthompson

I have moved several times already because of noise and anywhere I go there is always some guy that has to make my life miserable.

Now I am stuck with a guy that plays music several hours per day. Yesterday it went on until 2 am. I complained about it and then they all ganged up on me. I offered to buy him any headphones that he want. He refused. I offered to split to week 50/50. He doesn't want that. And the most shocking part was that some random guy said it was his home so he can do anything he wants and everyone agreed with him. That is just so WRONG. I bet the cops are going to agree with them too.

I just can't believe how ignorant everyone in this country is and you just cant reason with these people. They are selfish. My life is miserable but he doesn't care cause he wants to listen to his music.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i value quiet too so took the time to find an excellently managed apartment building in a quiet soi. any noise or other hassle and the management removes the tenets at the end of the month. there was some construction going on nearby and the manager agreed with the construction company that they would not start work before 8am and stop at 9pm.

i guess i'm saying it is possible to find good places if you look hard enough.

Buy earplugs!

I often feel I'm not living in the same Thailand as everyone else, no issues with noise, soi dogs, iffy neighbours etc.

We are in a village within 1 hour of Bangkok CBD (I commute every day) the only noise issue (if you can call it that) is the roosters going off at 5AM (including ours).

OK, we do occasionally get temple noises from weddings and funerals etc, but since we get invited not exactly a problem. Oh, and the dance club over the river is audible when the wind is wrong.

Right now it's 6.50PM on a Sunday, what can I hear? Aircraft flying in to Swampy and DMK, frogs, jinjoks, the wind noise from my fan, stuff all else.

EDIT Just heard a dog bark, it's stopped now.

Maybe they see you as being intolerant of their culture? Maybe this leads them to not care about you either.

Thailand is not a quiet place. Noise does not bother them as much as it does many of us. Me included. They do not feel they have the right to tell someone else what to do.

If you cannot afford to live in a place that is quieter, maybe it is time to go home. I think if you live in close proximity w/regular Thai people, you are almost sure to have this issue. If you move into an area with older people, a more expensive place, you are less likely to have this issue.

I also live in a village - parties can get noisy but not often or too bad and anyone is always welcome.

Good luck.

Edited by kenk24

Only time I ever hear anything louder than usual, is a local wedding or funeral, but most days, could hear a gnat fart at 50 metres, or my own dogs barking if someone crosses in front of the home, which is very rare ona Sunday.

Or the dog barks at a snakes. Nearest home to me is about 300 metres away.

Extremely quite back water, thats why I came and remain here.

Buy a drum kit and start practicing from 2 am. I'm not even joking...

I honestly can't see a Thai complaining about drums. There's a guy on my soi that delivers ice at the crack of dawn in a truck that sounds like his own personal Nana Plaza. Haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the guy.

i value quiet too so took the time to find an excellently managed apartment building in a quiet soi. any noise or other hassle and the management removes the tenets at the end of the month. there was some construction going on nearby and the manager agreed with the construction company that they would not start work before 8am and stop at 9pm.

where is that ?

Maybe they see you as being intolerant of their culture? Maybe this leads them to not care about you either.

Thailand is not a quiet place. Noise does not bother them as much as it does many of us. Me included. They do not feel they have the right to tell someone else what to do.

If you cannot afford to live in a place that is quieter, maybe it is time to go home. I think if you live in close proximity w/regular Thai people, you are almost sure to have this issue. If you move into an area with older people, a more expensive place, you are less likely to have this issue.

I also live in a village - parties can get noisy but not often or too bad and anyone is always welcome.

Good luck.

Nail on the head!

Buy earplugs!

I often feel I'm not living in the same Thailand as everyone else, no issues with noise, soi dogs, iffy neighbours etc.

We are in a village within 1 hour of Bangkok CBD (I commute every day) the only noise issue (if you can call it that) is the roosters going off at 5AM (including ours).

OK, we do occasionally get temple noises from weddings and funerals etc, but since we get invited not exactly a problem. Oh, and the dance club over the river is audible when the wind is wrong.

Right now it's 6.50PM on a Sunday, what can I hear? Aircraft flying in to Swampy and DMK, frogs, jinjoks, the wind noise from my fan, stuff all else.

EDIT Just heard a dog bark, it's stopped now.

Same in my village outskirts of BKK not much noise the occasional event. Sometimes a bit when someone has a party but that is normal.

Wow! Took less than 5 posts for someone to play the "Thainess" card as if noisy, inconsiderate neighbours don't exist in the Western paradises they left to set up here. rolleyes.gif

For the most part, Thais are not quiet, refined folk.

They like sanuk, loud music, laughing and joking.

Challenging their perceived right to enjoy this aspect of their culture could earn you a beat down

Your best bet is to move to an environment with a higher concentration of farangs, a remote location or

. . . . . book a flight out

If I am correct in assuming you are trying to sleep at 2am when he is playing his music, maybe when you are awake early and he is in a deep sleep, that could be the time to blast yours out. If it doesn't bother him one jot, then I suggest you look for somewhere else to live.

Sympathize with you though, I despise ignorant neighbours

It's not the noise,upcountry for me it's the constant burning of rubbish,plastic and all other garden waste.

It doesn't happen where I live upcountry. The trash truck comes every Wednesday morning around 6 am and takes it all away for only 30 baht a month.

Back on topic then,I actually live very close to a Chinese Temple and surprisingly the noise from there is relatively low key,I assume they don't follow the Thai Bhuddist schedule,they do however love the old fire crackers at certain times not really an issue.

As I type, there is music plying 100 meters away that is so loud, I could not hear myself if I were to scream as loud as I possibly could.

No, I don't like it much at all.

It is just part of living in Thailand.

It is one of the things that I do not care for, that is more than balanced out by all of the things I love about living in Thailand.

The responsible folks are drunk as a skunk, and have all of the speakers pointed at my house and not their's.

Maybe I have been here too long, but I am actually happy that they have a good sound system that does not distort the loud music!

I will probably take a walk over a little later and have a couple of shots of whiskey with them.

It's the neighborly thing to do in Thailand.

Mai Pen Rai??wai.gif

..... the only noise issue (if you can call it that) is the roosters going off at 5AM (including ours) ...... we do occasionally get temple noises from weddings and funerals etc ....... and the dance club over the river is audible when the wind is wrong. .... Right now it's 6.50PM on a Sunday, what can I hear? Aircraft flying in to Swampy and DMK,....

You have just described four evil noises of which I would put up with none.

I simply dont know how you can live like that.

I want to hear the wind blowing or the rain falling, and that's it.

move to the place I am currently living, the View Talay 5C in Jomtien. It is so quiet on the balconies of the upper floors ( 9 - 22 ) and the only noise you hear are the birds chirping by the mornings.

There are mostly farangs living and no one would dare bother the other tenants with loud music.

I am sorry for you but you need to put some more effort into the search for a more soundproof location

move to the place I am currently living, the View Talay 5C in Jomtien. It is so quiet on the balconies of the upper floors ( 9 - 22 ) and the only noise you hear are the birds chirping by the mornings.

There are mostly farangs living and no one would dare bother the other tenants with loud music.

I am sorry for you but you need to put some more effort into the search for a more soundproof location

Have to agree with you. Many people disregard condo living in case you get bad neighbours but living in the sky immediately cuts out noise from soi dogs and the 'bar across the road' and windows can be opened without the risk of mozzies if you're high enough up. Great views too ;)

Have to agree with you. Many people disregard condo living in case you get bad neighbours but living in the sky immediately cuts out noise from soi dogs and the 'bar across the road' and windows can be opened without the risk of mozzies if you're high enough up. Great views too wink.png

But, I sit at my desk on the PC looking into my garden, the flowers on the trees. I get up for a ciggy, walk into the garden and look at the flowers on the trees, then I look at the lake outside and feel the breeze...Hmmmm, yes, I do tell the odd snake to bugger off...laugh.png

Are you not tempted to try and teach the snake english? you know, for some company

... aye, the only other option to a highrise is, live in the sticks in a small mooban, where EVERYBODY will have fallen stone asleep

at the latest around 8 pm, leaving you as the only person awake in the hours after.

the only disadvantage being the roosters cockoricoooo's ending your dreams before any dawn . . .

There ARE quiet places, ground houses for rent, depends on the location . . . . who searches, will find, the book says

Edited by petedk

You are lucky.

My father-in-law took time to find a ground at the end of a dead end soi. That was 50 years ago. Now the houses in the soi are slowly being converted to restaurants and night clubs. At the moment they are converting a house just 50 meters from our house into an open air restaurant.

What do we do?

We can't just sell a 70 million baht house and move out.

You are lucky.

My father-in-law took time to find a ground at the end of a dead end soi. That was 50 years ago. Now the houses in the soi are slowly being converted to restaurants and night clubs. At the moment they are converting a house just 50 meters from our house into an open air restaurant.

What do we do?

We can't just sell a 70 million baht house and move out.

Sure you can because the new value now is 7 mill baht. Jokes aside , 70 mill? seriously