Foreigner Seriously Injured in Central Pattaya Road Accident

webfact

Foreigner Seriously Injured in Central Pattaya Road Accident

beat-2.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Monday, a foreigner was seriously injured in a high-speed road accident which occurred in Central Pattaya.

Police and medics rushed to the scene, outside of the Central Festival Pattaya Beach, and attended to the foreign man whose name or nationality could not be determined. He was in an unconscious state and it was noted he was not wearing a safety helmet at the time of the incident.

Police determined that a crash involving two motorbikes occurred, the driver of the other bike was known to be a Thai national and sustained superficial injuries.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/219199/foreigner-seriously-injured-in-central-pattaya-road-accident/#prettyPhoto

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-11-24

For what it's worth, most Thais do not put helmets on their children. Usually, the adults do not wear helmets either. Safe to say, if they don't care about the safety of their kids or themselves, they could care far less about you!

Be afraid. Be very afraid....

I am a full time cyclist in Pattaya the last 12 years. I need to observe driving styles differently as my braking is slower than a motorbike's. The Thai men are the major culprits in recklessness; fast, careless, irresponsible, moronic, etc.

If you are too STUPID to wear a helmet on a motorbike in Thailand, then suffer the consequences. No sympathy whatsoever.

It is a common sight despite the police frequently checking. (The road blocks and stops are usually a daytime thing for helmets).

The police are failing to enforce these rules....

I don't like to say not wearing a helmet is the reason for the injury, it will not stop accidents, that is another problem, poor driving, reckless driving DWUI etc. The police are busy, I saw 2 places where they were out yesterday checking people. .

If you are too STUPID to wear a helmet on a motorbike in Thailand, then suffer the consequences. No sympathy whatsoever.

I think you might mean "if you are to STUPID NOT to wear a helmet on a motorbike in Thailand" But got your point anyway and completly agree 100%

The police do set up road blocks and regularly stop motorcyclists for not wearing helmets. Most motorcyclists are aware of this and most have probably been stopped at some point.

However, fining them 100/200baht does nothing to make them change their ways.

Make it 5,000/10,000baht and word would spread like wildfire. there would be very few that did not in future wear helmets.

And for all the idiots who say TOO MUCH FOR THAIS, realise that Thai or non Thai, nobody has to pay if they wear a helmet and do not break the law.

if they ever get to enforce helmut laws in this country, that would be a very big IF, they also need to enforce the standards of helmets. Some of them are nothing more than a plastic bucket on your head, notice how many of them have stickers advising Not to be sold outside Thailand. I have seen people wear construction helmets with no chin strap.

I think you might mean "if you are to STUPID NOT to wear a helmet on a motorbike in Thailand" But got your point anyway and completly agree 100%

Too

Yes, but the irony of tagalong's post made me laugh out loud.

If he wasnt wearing a helmet its unlikely any insurance company will pay out expecially for head trauma.

It's clearly written in almost ALL insurance policies that they WILL NOT cover you if your riding a motorbike in this country, as a passenger wearing a helmet YES you are covered.

I get very irritated when I see westerners riding motorbikes with no helmet and often no shirt (to show off the tats I suppose). I seem to recall reading that not wearing a shirt was, in itself, an 'offence'.

I know there is no simple answer that will solve this, but we can hardly criticise the Thai's when many farangs set examples like this.

Just had to get that off my chest! thumbsup.gif

I really don't care if motorcyclists don't wear a helmet, and nor should the police who could be dealing with more important things like drunk drivers. If he or she has an accident the only person they injure or kill is themselves. They gamble and sometimes lose. Having a law in Thailand that a helmet must be worn is completely pointless as most Thais do whatever they want anyway. It's a cultural thing. In Thailand probably 95 do not wear a helmet. My observation in Bali, where it is also the law to wear one, 95 percent do.

The police do set up road blocks and regularly stop motorcyclists for not wearing helmets. Most motorcyclists are aware of this and most have probably been stopped at some point.

Make it 5,000/10,000baht and word would spread like wildfire. there would be very few that did not in future wear helmets.

And for all the idiots who say TOO MUCH FOR THAIS, realise that Thai or non Thai, nobody has to pay if they wear a helmet and do not break the law.

5000/10000 To much for Thais, only an idiot comes up with that figure. crazy.gifcrazy.gif 1500 ok.

But helmut or no helmut may not not help you in a crash

as we have seen in a resent thread ( two girls on motor bike killed by a truck )

Riding and driving behaviour is what needs needs the attention and fines.

Helmuts who gives a toss, he made a choice and lost wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

It looks like a farang. No helmet and possible skull fracture "serious". I hope he has lots of money or health insurance.

So many farangs come to Thailand that have Never road on a motor cycle before then they find out that they can rent a 600 to a 1100 cc bike.Wow just watch them go ! As Forest Gump would say "Stupid is as stupid does".

Its unfortunate ,but if the average Thai drivers brains were made of dynamite it would not blow their helmet off (even if they had no chinstrap done up)sad.png

Many, many years ago, before we knew any better, a friend and I rented a couple Honda 600 cc Steed bikes for a border run to Koh Kong.

It was a cool adventure.

Anyhow, we had barely gotten out of Pattaya & onto Sukh. when I saw him pull over & do a U-turn in my mirrors.

He had sneezed & his cheap Thai-style helmet had popped off his head, so he was headed back to get it. clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

It stayed strapped to the back seat for the rest of the trip, as it was utterly useless.

Edited by jaywalker

the police often set up a road block near my place to stop motorcyclists. they check road tax has been paid, thats's it. no road tax? a fine or bribe. no helmet? no problem.

I think you will agree that the traffic laws in Vietnam are very effective in ensuring that circa 99% of riders (and passengers) wear helmets.

Do you know how much the statutory fine is in that country ?

5000/10000 To much for Thais, only an idiot comes up with that figure. crazy.gifcrazy.gif 1500 ok.

But helmut or no helmut may not not help you in a crash

as we have seen in a resent thread ( two girls on motor bike killed by a truck )

Riding and driving behaviour is what needs needs the attention and fines.

Helmuts who gives a toss, he made a choice and lost wai2.gif

How to enforce Helmut laws: Stop him from leaving Germany in the first place.

Problem solved.

5/10k is unrealistic for a minor motoring offence in a country where the minimum wage is 300 Baht.

A penalty that exceeds a daily wage would put it significantly out of kilter with the civilised world. Beyond that it becomes subject and I would agree with Onemoreechang that 1,000 Baht should achieve the required objective.

Vietnam has proved that adherence to the regulations is achieved by the enforcement of a sensible fine, that is sufficient a deterrent so as to prevent a recurrence

Looking at the fines imposed for traffic violations, we see them as comical. I will have to say they are down right hysterical. I have spent a few minutes sitting in the Pattaya police station waiting to pay a fine or three. I agree that fines need to increase but increase them so they down right sting locals. They will still be comical for foreigners.

The stickers I've seen say the helmets are approved for use in Thailand. I haven't seen any saying they're not legal outside Thailand, but they should. The Thai approved helmets are worthless. 300฿ and only good for keeping your brains in one general area after an accident.

The stupidest part of Thai helmet laws is that only helmets with that sticker are legal. Technically, I could get a 200฿ ticket for driving wearing my ฿13,000 Shoei or ฿21,000 Nolan helmet. I'm never driving here with a Thai helmet.

if they ever get to enforce helmut laws in this country, that would be a very big IF, they also need to enforce the standards of helmets. Some of them are nothing more than a plastic bucket on your head, notice how many of them have stickers advising Not to be sold outside Thailand. I have seen people wear construction helmets with no chin strap.