Credit where due...did you know

kannot

If you break down on the tollway they come and help you for free.

Driving from BKK this morning to Pranburi at 4 am, just got on the tollway and some lump of metal dumped in the middle of the road blew out my back wheel, I got over to the hard shoulder and thought about dropping down the spare wheel to change it and thought " bugger this" walked 1 metre to the SOS box and someone said they would be there soon.

Way too dangerous on the Thai tollway, leapt over a concrete temporary barrier left lights and hazards lights on and waited

Truck turned up 20 minutes later changed the wheel with all their lights on, refused any payment and left..............

I did give em 1kbaht though as really this is sooooooooooo cheap compared to the UK.

Anyway it seems help is free on the tollway for punctures at least, pleasantly surprised for once

Truck turned up 20 minutes later changed the wheel with all their lights on, refused any payment and left.

I did give em 1kbaht though blink.png

Which is it? They went away and refused payment or you gave them 1,000 baht?

Or, you didn't give them any money and it was just an after thought?

Edited by thequietman

Truck turned up 20 minutes later changed the wheel with all their lights on, refused any payment and left.

I think it is clear what the op meant. No payment was required but he tipped 1,000 baht.

I asked them HOW MUCH and they said free then I gave them 1k baht tip..............does that help? They were helpful and I showed my appreciation at not having to lie under a car to get the wheel down 1 metre from 20 ton plus lorries driving past at speed at 4 am with drivers who are not so attentive...............just ask the Policeman ( oh you cant) who got hit by the Mercedes woman how safe a Thai hard shoulder is

Edited by kannot

Reminder... carry smaller bills for the next tip.

Lets get some perspective.......... a week ago in the UK My Mother, 87, had to get a tow in her car about 5 miles................cost £147 or 7500 baht and no i didnt have any smaller bills as had just been to an atm on Sukhumvit Road to fill up before setting off on the 2.5 hour trip putting 1k baht diesel in the pick up. Im sure it made their day though.

Lets get some perspective.......... a week ago in the UK My Mother, 87, had to get a tow in her car about 5 miles................cost £147 or 7500 baht and no i didnt have any smaller bills as had just been to an atm on Sukhumvit Road to fill up before setting off on the 2.5 hour trip putting 1k baht diesel in the pick up. Im sure it made their day though.

But I hope you realise you have contributed to Greedy Bargirl Syndrome: now we'll have tow trucks cruising the tollways looking for over-generous farangs to help.

You can see he gave them 1,000bt, dont be petty.

But I hope you realise you have contributed to Greedy Bargirl Syndrome: now we'll have tow trucks cruising the tollways looking for over-generous farangs to help.

There is some merit in what you say, but if he felt good giving B1000, who are we to criticize?

It's why I believe we have an obligation to bargain hard, and try to not pay more than a local, so that they don't think all foreigners are an easy touch.

Greedy bargirls cruising the tollways looking for generous farangs!

Unusual business plan but hey TIT.

Thank goodness were not all as clever as you

@

asdecas

Now I am no expert on the thai motorway system .................but in many countries , on major motorways there are emergency breakdown crews that attend ANY EMERGENCY that may occur and that could cause a hindrance to safety or traffic flow. That is why they have emergency phones positioned along the motorway.

They are not private tow trucks cruising the motorway..................but employed by the operators of the motorway ( tollway road) to ensure user safety. They are there so why not use them.

As the OP stated ..........................safety first.

You are another example of the many TVF members who seem to have nothing but negative thoughts/reactions to everything and anything that happens in Thailand.

It raises the old question ............................if you are resident here ---why do you stay here with such negativity.....................

and if you are NOT resident here ..............why do you bother to comment at all .

I very much doubt it

Think the toll fee includes a breakdown service to keep the road clear.

PS. Any old lady in the UK should have AA or RAC breakdown cover...thumbsup.gif

She had BUT my Father always took care of it................ sadly he died April 1st this year aged 85 (pls no jokes)and it got overlooked as in we could not find when renewal was due and it probably got sent to his e mail/JUNK.

Now I have got her covered and the renewal will come to me......

@

asdecas

You are another example of the many TVF members who seem to have nothing but negative thoughts/reactions to everything and anything that happens in Thailand.

It raises the old question ............................if you are resident here ---why do you stay here with such negativity.....................

and if you are NOT resident here ..............why do you bother to comment at all .

Nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks this.

In my view, a tip was certainly warranted, but probably in the order of 200 or 300 Baht. However, the OP might not have had any change. I try to keep plenty of change otherwise you can end up overtipping.

I think there is merit in tipping in situations like this. Maybe the maintenance crew will go that extra mile to help the next ferang in trouble.

If a Greedy Bargirl had have stopped and changed the wheel for me I would have given her the 1000 Baht tip. Would have been worth it.

1000 baht under £20. <deleted> why are the cheapskates so worried about giving a tip to somebody just because its supposed to be a free service. Well done mate you should be proud of yourself, don't let the cheap Charlies get under your skin. If you are in trouble price dosn't come into it,you just want it done and get the <deleted>> on your way.

"Money Talks and the Cheapskates Walk"

Me and a friend had a flat tyre at midnight on the way to a club, not a tollway, and 2 thai guys came from out of nowhere and started taking the wheel off, but it was jammed on for some reason, one ran off and got a jemmy, and freed the wheel.

They got the spare out from underneath the car, put it on, but that was flat as well. So the guy ran off again, and come back with a footpump and filled it with air. I offered to pay, but they didn't want anything, they said "where you go?" . I said "we are going to a club, do you want to come?" They said yes, so we took them along, and we all had a ball....great guys, they could pull in the chicks too...555. A bad night turned good. We still go to their minimart drinking place and have a beer with them to this day.

1000 baht under £20. <deleted> why are the cheapskates so worried about giving a tip to somebody just because its supposed to be a free service. Well done mate you should be proud of yourself, don't let the cheap Charlies get under your skin. If you are in trouble price dosn't come into it,you just want it done and get the <deleted>> on your way.

Put it another way. The Thai worker would be on 300 Baht per day so 1000 Baht is just over 3 days pay. In the UK, a similar occupation would get about 100 quid a day. So you would give similar (300 quid) to someone who changed your tyre on a motorway in the UK?

Put it another way. The Thai worker would be on 300 Baht per day so 1000 Baht is just over 3 days pay. In the UK, a similar occupation would get about 100 quid a day. So you would give similar (300 quid) to someone who changed your tyre on a motorway in the UK?

I live in thailand and spend the money on the basis of being in the UK so No I wouldnt give a 300 pound tip to somebody to change a tyre but would give the 20 quid No problem. It dosn't matter what to hell smebody earns a day. 1000 baht is reasonable for help if you are in a bind.

All those criticizing the OP would be the first to comment if he got killed trying to change his tyre on the toll road.

We would be watching the CCTV footage and the naysayers would be saying:

"What was he thinking?" "Should have called someone".... "Cheap charlie could have paid someone to do it for him...." and then one guy would come on and speculate that it was his Thai missus and her "brother" that setup a hit....

If my salary was 10 times theirs I would think about it.