indian restaurant bangkok, where are the real cheap Indian restaurants? No tourist spot please!

thailanddogerator

Indian restaurants are concentrated in two areas - downtown Sukhumvit, where you can expect to pay tourist prices for modest portions of variable-quality food, and areas such as Phahurat and Chakraphet, Indian merchant areas located at the far end of Yaowarat in Chinatown. These latter areas are more modestly priced and more casual, cafe-style places, but your problem, unless you are staying around KSR, is access; they are served only by local buses or taxi/tuktuk, and traffic can be a nightmare. Best of the bunch in my opinion is Royal India, long-established, supplies Indian sweets to hotels too, but it can be a bitch to find. Google it or find in Lonely Planet.

There is good reason why Indian restaurants are not more widespread throughout the city: I would hazard that 95% of Thais will not even venture to try Indian food; the nearest they get to foreign is pasta or pizza. More fool them!

There used to be an Indian canteen or two near the old GPO on New Road. Haven't been there for years so no idea if still going, but they had basic dishes: dal, ladies fingers, various veg dishes, breads, chicken curry etc, and very cheap. Down the soi to the right of the big GPO building as you face it on New Road. Again, not easy to access unless you take bus or taxi.

Interesting Thai attitudes to Indian food kind of ties into general anti- Indian prejudice warranted or not. (Cosmopolitan) Indians love Thai food in my experience but hard to find anyThais venturing into culinary experiences unless it's Euro fast food. My Thai wife never had tried Indian food until I introduced her, now she even cooks it (spices in her own way!). Her daughter likes Indian food too but there is a loyalty thing to Thailand so she won't admit it. So weird.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know how Thai are open to everything new... :-)

Indian restaurants are concentrated in two areas - downtown Sukhumvit, where you can expect to pay tourist prices for modest portions of variable-quality food, and areas such as Phahurat and Chakraphet, Indian merchant areas located at the far end of Yaowarat in Chinatown. These latter areas are more modestly priced and more casual, cafe-style places, but your problem, unless you are staying around KSR, is access; they are served only by local buses or taxi/tuktuk, and traffic can be a nightmare. Best of the bunch in my opinion is Royal India, long-established, supplies Indian sweets to hotels too, but it can be a bitch to find. Google it or find in Lonely Planet.

There is good reason why Indian restaurants are not more widespread throughout the city: I would hazard that 95% of Thais will not even venture to try Indian food; the nearest they get to foreign is pasta or pizza. More fool them!

There used to be an Indian canteen or two near the old GPO on New Road. Haven't been there for years so no idea if still going, but they had basic dishes: dal, ladies fingers, various veg dishes, breads, chicken curry etc, and very cheap. Down the soi to the right of the big GPO building as you face it on New Road. Again, not easy to access unless you take bus or taxi.

Interesting Thai attitudes to Indian food kind of ties into general anti- Indian prejudice warranted or not. (Cosmopolitan) Indians love Thai food in my experience but hard to find anyThais venturing into culinary experiences unless it's Euro fast food. My Thai wife never had tried Indian food until I introduced her, now she even cooks it (spices in her own way!). Her daughter likes Indian food too but there is a loyalty thing to Thailand so she won't admit it. So weird.

As already mentioned, I think it's particularly an anti-indian attitude that also covers Indian food.

In Phra Khanong on Sukhumvit 71 between sois (Pridi) 3 & 5 is a shophouse Indian restaurant that is very popular with the local Indian/Burmese community. That community is centered between soi's 21 & 30 where there are a number of Indian grocery shops that also make and sell Indian snack food.

There is also a very decent Indian food stall in the fairly new Phra Khanong food court/beer garden located in the "W" district, behind the tall, cylindrical condominium 200 meters from the Phra Khanong BTS.

Had a fairly big lunch at Masala Art yesterday for a shade under 1k Baht with eatigo.

Enough for two of us and having the leftovers for breakfast as well.

I suppose that works out at 250 Baht a meal....expensive yes but not crazy...and good food.

As already mentioned, I think it's particularly an anti-indian attitude that also covers Indian food.

Agree with the Indian attitude from Thais, my ex wife used to say if you are in the jungle with a gun with only one bullet and you meet a snake and an Indian you shoot the Indian , ( she was Thai by the way )

I should add I divorced her.

Right, thank you, stupid reply from a guy who seem to know nothing and like to pay expensive price for food that does not deserve it.

Cheap Indian as good as your tourists spots exsit but it seems that you haven't found them, so just keep going to your dosashiiite if you like it.

Oh wise and one with the locals Thailanddogerator. I am sorry my recommendations do not meet your high standards for authenticity and true grit. You must forgive me as I have only been here for 11 years, and India for two. I supposed I misjudged your oneness with the authentic Indian experience. Such places, located near a BTS station cannot be good by definition of ease of access and nearness to tourist locations. Despite there is a huge Thai-Indian community located around Sukhumvit and tonight I was the only non-Indian customer in Dosa King (which was almost full), it seems to be a fav of the local Indian ex-pat community, but you know better. Also, despite the fact that Indian staff that worked for me in the past would go there almost every night because they disliked Thai food and wanted something that tasted like home, but again you know better. Also despite the fact that Dosa King opened in 2002, a 13 year run must be due to dumb tourists and not good food. Your standards for food are higher than I am able to accommodate with my lowly recommendations, for this, I sincerely apologize and hope you discover the place you are looking for. Perhaps a local dhobi wallah will let you know a more appropriate place.

You mentioned that you didnt want places that were tourist hotspots because you have a brain, it is a pity you do not also have a tongue.

You may now return to nursing your King Fisher knowing you have successfully avoided another tourist trap and keeping your Indian cred intact for another day.

One of the most arrogant replies I have ever read, obviously from a smart know it all dude, thought the moderators frowned on posts like this, degenerating another member, I must remmember this guys handle and skip his future comments.

Agree with the Indian attitude from Thais, my ex wife used to say if you are in the jungle with a gun with only one bullet and you meet a snake and an Indian you shoot the Indian , ( she was Thai by the way )

I should add I divorced her.

Yes I've heard that one, a common expression I'm afraid.To be honest I like Indian food more than I do Thai, but could never tell my Thai wife that especially when I previously had an Indian girlfriend ..oops! biggrin.png

Had a fairly big lunch at Masala Art yesterday for a shade under 1k Baht with eatigo.

Enough for two of us and having the leftovers for breakfast as well.

I suppose that works out at 250 Baht a meal....expensive yes but not crazy...and good food.

Not sure if it was on special but I have always found Masala Art very much on the pricey side. Have not eaten in there for a year or so, but occasionally get takeaway and am always surprised by their cost compared to competitors.

I do find the curry really rich and creamy though, for me probably one of the best curry houses in town of its type.

all the cheap Indian restaurants in Bangkok sucks and all the good ones are very expensive, I realized that even some of them are using ready preheated microwave dishes,I recommend you try some of the Arabic restaurants in soi Nana, they have some cheap Indian dishes which tastes great for very affordable price, for example dal soup and chicken curries and tandoori are available at most of those Arabic restaurants.

I am looking for a restaurant which servers the same type of fresh Indian mamak food in Kuala lumpur, any one got idea ?

my own recommendation is Petra restaurant which is a Yemeni restaurant which has some delicious Indian dishes, the Nan bread is freshly baked in a coal oven, best dishes are Nan soup, Chicken tandoori and chicken grill very outstanding as for the price it s around 500 Baht for 3 dishes.

Oh dear oh dear.....try Indus Suk Soi 26...weekend brunch is 625 Baht.

Its all cooked to order and you can have as much as you like.

This is "great" Indian food.

I was at Indus this lunchtime. The service was excellent but I found the food rather average. I've had better takeaways in the UK.

Still, you can go crazy and order everything you fancy for 625++. Drinks are extra.

post-234880-0-30707000-1450021146_thumb.

post-234880-0-12584900-1450021165_thumb.

post-234880-0-51989000-1450021189_thumb.

post-234880-0-55237700-1450021208_thumb.

all the cheap Indian restaurants in Bangkok sucks and all the good ones are very expensive, I realized that even some of them are using ready preheated microwave dishes,I recommend you try some of the Arabic restaurants in soi Nana, they have some cheap Indian dishes which tastes great for very affordable price, for example dal soup and chicken curries and tandoori are available at most of those Arabic restaurants.

I am looking for a restaurant which servers the same type of fresh Indian mamak food in Kuala lumpur, any one got idea ?

my own recommendation is Petra restaurant which is a Yemeni restaurant which has some delicious Indian dishes, the Nan bread is freshly baked in a coal oven, best dishes are Nan soup, Chicken tandoori and chicken grill very outstanding as for the price it s around 500 Baht for 3 dishes.

I was at Indus this lunchtime. The service was excellent but I found the food rather average. I've had better takeaways in the UK.

Still, you can go crazy and order everything you fancy for 625++. Drinks are extra.

Each to his own but its a stretch to dismiss the food at Indus as average.

I'd also suggest unless you were living within a couple of miles of Southall or Rusholme your Indian food experience in the UK would diminish considerably.

I tried every Indian in Aberdeen last year and never found one that came close to the food at Indus.

Each to his own but its a stretch to dismiss the food at Indus as average.

I'd also suggest unless you were living within a couple of miles of Southall or Rusholme your Indian food experience in the UK would diminish considerably.

I tried every Indian in Aberdeen last year and never found one that came close to the food at Indus.

Some years ago I lived in Salford Quays, which was close enough for me to venture across to the curry mile fairly regularly. It was very good.

I also found a superb place for kebabs. It was a proper hole called the Rusholme Chippy. Exceptionally good.

I found a restaurant serving very nice home cooked south indian food in sukhumvit soi 12…..it's about 500 metres in on the left on the ground floor of some service apt….Sri Ganesha its called.

Food is pretty damn awesome but i think the prices average about 200-300 per dish. Is that pricey….definitely more than a quick plate of thai nosh.

Try the Rembrandt Hotel, restaurant is on the 23rd floor, great views at night and has a balcony for a fag or breather.

Book in advance for a good table.

Agree with you PL, however the op appears to be either a cheap Charlie or broke.

Try the Rembrandt Hotel, restaurant is on the 23rd floor, great views at night and has a balcony for a fag or breather.

Book in advance for a good table.

Agree with you PL, however the op appears to be either a cheap Charlie or broke.

At that level of cost its a toss up with Indus and Charcoal really.

All have dishes they do especially well....at the Rembrandt they have probably the best desserts.

All have dishes they do especially well....

Love the tandoori broccoli on the Indus brunch. Haven't been in a while. Time for a trip tomorrow methinks. Then a marathon Sunday snooze. Living the life me!

All have dishes they do especially well....

Love the tandoori broccoli on the Indus brunch. Haven't been in a while. Time for a trip tomorrow methinks. Then a marathon Sunday snooze. Living the life me!

Yes that broccoli is superb...as is their juicy chicken tikka starter.

Tempted myself now but I think the French Fair is winning today!