Restaurants – Breakfast Buffet, Thom Ka Gai – Your Experience?

henrik2000

Hello, even after reading lots of reviews on TripAdvisor and in guide books, some restaurant questions for Pattaya remain open. Maybe you can give me a hint.

-- Delightful Open Air Breakfast Buffet –

Coming from a cold country, i’d like open air or semi-open air – not on the main road or in some industrial setting, but on beach or in hotel garden.

What i like: Fresh greeneries, cooked Asian food, cerials, good milk products, no noise from TV or music, quality coffee + hot milk with it, nice baked goods (not plasticky), real fresh orange juice (not from the bubble box), (semi-)outdoor, lot of daylight, price below 350 THB all-in, usable at least till 11 a.m.

What i don’t need: fried meat (US-UK breakfast i believe), indoors, aircon, TV noise, Nescafé, uncomfortable chairs, very formal with white table cloth, overrun with tour groups or alcoholics

--- Thom Ka Ghai –

Love this dish (and other non-spicy Thai incl. fish in lime-pepper sauce). You have a suggestion? The restaurant should be casual and delightful, not formal, no tour-group haunt, i (tourist) love al fresco. Hope there is also good khao suay and non-too spicy fresh salad, ideally simply fruit for dessert.

Ideal would be an open wood-floor multi-level restaurant as in Isaan or on the riversides in Bkk and Chiang Mai. Maybe asking too much.

Thanks!

For the breakfast I think that the closest you are going to get would be sitting outside at Casa Pascal. It sort of ticks most of your boxes.

To fully tick all your boxes try the Royal Cliff at twice the price or more.

If ever you find a place that ticks all your boxes at your price anywhere in Thailand, please let me know as I would like to go there.

Lek Hotel .Cheap and cheerful ,with some eye candy .(guys with their rented Thai girlfriends ) .Food is probably below the standard that the OP is looking for,but heck you only live once .It does tick some boxes .Its semi open air ,next to a swimming pool.

Edited by anto

Pascals is better than Danmark.

But Danmark has a more relaxing funky "you're in Thailand" vibe.

They are certainly very different but I would not say that one is better than the other. If forced to choose one I really dont know which it would be. I think both should be tried.

Yes, Danmark is more relaxed and down-market and homely. The choice of food is a lot broader at Danmark also, though it is significantly more Scandinavian/Thai and less international/American than Casa Pascal.

Strong points at Pascal: croissants, choice of coffees, choice of breads, cold fish dishes, upmarket feel.

Strong points at Danmark: Thai dishes, very wide choice of Scandinavian-type foods, cheese, flexibility/attentiveness of staff.

"Danmark has a more relaxing funky "you're in Thailand" vibe."

--

As a tourist, I like that (if it doesn't mean CNN or a noisy Thai telenovela blasting from three walls)

Not at all. No music/noise of any type at Danmark and the soi is a cul-de-sac. Pascal, on the other hand, often has the same background music playing (Abba and 50s French popular music seem to be favourites, for some unknown reason). Recently I have noticed less music there: maybe it's a high/low season thing?

Kitten Kong, thanks for more details!

"Strong points at Pascal: croissants, choice of coffees, choice of breads"

---

Oh, that's great especially after some time in Asia. Croissants, if offered, tend to be a terrible letdown usually.

"Strong points at Danmark: Thai dishes, very wide choice of Scandinavian-type foods, cheese, flexibility/attentiveness of staff."

---

Sounds good too.

Btw, according to some website (maybe their own), the breakfast at Royal Cliff costs 375 (maybe 375+++). If i book that as a holiday outing, morning food safari, it might still be ok for me. Certainly will not go on the weekend.

Btw, according to some website (maybe their own), the breakfast at Royal Cliff costs 375 (maybe 375+++). If i book that as a holiday outing, morning food safari, it might still be ok for me. Certainly will not go on the weekend.

It does indeed seem to be that price. I wonder why I thought it was more? When I went to look at it a couple of years ago it was full of Russians on package tours but I imagine that these days they will have been replaced by someone else, or maybe no-one.

I think they stop breakfast at 10 which is a bit early for me, which is why I dont go there. The choice of food on offer was impressive.

Hello all, thanks for more info!

If i had to leave the breakfast table by ten, that would be a turn-off (not everyday, but i'd need the option to linger).

Cabbages and Condoms - thanks, i'll consider it, especially if you recommend it for Tom Kha Gai.

The LK Empress on Beach Rd at Soi 12 has an extensive breakfast buffet with a wide range of selection, more than B200 as I recall. Comfortable seating on a outdoor terrace with a lot of fans moving the air around.

Food was the standard Western and Asian breakfast selections. I was annoyed that for that price they did not have bacon but that seems a plus for the OP. Eggs cooked to order and an omelette station as well. I believe it runs to noon.

It does indeed seem to be that price. I wonder why I thought it was more?

All this seemed so unlikely that I drove round there to check this morning: breakfast is 750B as I thought. Probably ++ too.

God knows what the various online mentions of 375B refer to.

Kitten Kong, thanks for checking that. I think Royal Cliff is off the list now.

A possibility might be the Hilton. The outdoor setting on the 15th floor is very nice, and should be particularly good earlier in the day. Whilst it does overlook the beach you are far enough above it not to hear traffic etc.

I've been there for Sunday Brunch (1200B) and that was fine. I had the grapefruit juice which I think was canned and tasted good. It was far better than the cordials and Tang-like drinks that most places here provide for breakfast. Other juices may have been fresh.

Not sure about the breakfast price but easy enough to pop in and ask. I would expect it to cost less than their lunchtime buffets which are about 500B and are also good.

"Danmark has a more relaxing funky "you're in Thailand" vibe."

--

As a tourist, I like that (if it doesn't mean CNN or a noisy Thai telenovela blasting from three walls)

Not at all. No music/noise of any type at Danmark and the soi is a cul-de-sac. Pascal, on the other hand, often has the same background music playing (Abba and 50s French popular music seem to be favourites, for some unknown reason). Recently I have noticed less music there: maybe it's a high/low season thing?

Thats it, if Abba i go elsewhere lol

Do what I do: try them all.

Well, with more time & money, i'd follow your sound advice. But now i'll narrow it down to the most promising (for me), and it's also nice to return to a nice place. I don't need to swap the place every day. Coming back to an enjoyable establishment is part of the fun.

Edited by henrik2000