What to Do When Meeting Cobra

Sawan Chan 7

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just leave it alone and it will go away - they are not aggressive snakes if not cornered.

I see many cobra snakes on my land; as long as I make a noise whilst walking in the grass, they slither away quickly and I won't accidentally disturb one.

Ignore it and it will ignore you.

Have you ever had a snake that can kill in your garden? Easier said than done.

Yes had a few cobras. Leave them alone and they will disappear.

Right, we don't interest them, just don't step on them and they wil disappear

simon 43 said

" as I make a noise whilst walking in the grass, they slither away quickly and I won't accidentally disturb one."

snakes are deaf, it's not your noise which make them slither away, it's the vibrations of your steps on the ground , it means for them that something / someone is coming

Just leave it alone and it will go away - they are not aggressive snakes if not cornered.

I see many cobra snakes on my land; as long as I make a noise whilst walking in the grass, they slither away quickly and I won't accidentally disturb one.

Just leave it alone and it will go away

I don't want it to go away, I want it to go away & never come back

That's why I will kill it - this also prevents it from setting up a family on our land.

they are not aggressive snakes if not cornered

Problem being that if you have dogs, they will corner it.

One time I went to look at what was happening, a cornered cobra spit towards me.

Anyway, why do have some people a problem with killing cobras?

We kill mosquitoes, ants, rats don't we?

and I thought you were talking about a 1967 427ci Cobra biggrin.png

I have driven one, sound great and accelaration, but handles like a billy cart and short wheel base with that power, looses track when cornering constantly

Edited by FourAces

Just leave it alone and it will go away

I don't want it to go away, I want it to go away & never come back

That's why I will kill it - this also prevents it from setting up a family on our land.

they are not aggressive snakes if not cornered

Problem being that if you have dogs, they will corner it.

One time I went to look at what was happening, a cornered cobra spit towards me.

Anyway, why do have some people a problem with killing cobras?

We kill mosquitoes, ants, rats don't we?

They probably don't have kids and live on the 19th floor in Finland

Standard snake tool out on the properties in western Queensland when I was a lad was a 7 or 8 foot doubled up length of barbed wire with the barbs removed except for the last foot or so.

A whack from that would break the spine and if it managed to slither away the ants would finish it off where the skin was broken from the barbs.

In thailand I tend to live and let live. Cobras dont tend to be agressive and slither away. If so worried call in a local to catch it and take it away.

The first thing you should do is wear some eye protection…in case it is the kind that spits venom…I am told that can be ascertained by looking at the back to its flared out hood but that may not always be convenient.

Yes they spit.

3 meters far or so, sounds like the hissing of a cat.

My first cobra was small, at first I did not even know it was a cobra, as a cobra only shows it's hood when it is angry.

Next I thought it was too young to be dangerous, I became careless, and then it spit!

Missed me, because it was confused by the dogs, me & wife that surrounded it.

Ignore it and it will ignore you.

Have you ever had a snake that can kill in your garden? Easier said than done.

Yes. Up to and including a 5 METER python (which did have to be picked up and transported by a nice German herpetologist and transported to a far less populated area, for it's own safety). The only time I'd had er, cause for concern was when a Thai guy spotted one and hit it with a stick. That really pissed it off and it charged. Scary stuff, but if he'd left it alone it would have simply been on it's way. Which is what I do. The number of ignorant farang who come here, a tropical country, and aren't aware they are the trespassers and then try to play Tarzan piss me off. Leave it alone! It was here long before you hit the inbound flight/banana boat.

I was walking home from a neighbors house at night......these 4 inch long worm like creatures were in the street.....acted very very aggresive......cobras......stomped em all......they just dont go away they nest and have little cobras.

Had one slither past my front door the other day thought it was just ya garden variety snake. My dog scoped him and he reared up. I freaked didnt want my dog to get bit. I ran in with a stick but muttley already had him. Killed it but wouldnt let it go got bit in the mouth. Head swelled up like a football sat with him all night. Tough little bugger survived. Not much you can do just this time of year with everyone clearing out their farms I try not to kill the native critters but I already lost a few geese and ducks to them. Funny thing was my missus sold the for 50 baht they wanted him for pad khra pow.

snakes are deaf, it's not your noise which make them slither away, it's the vibrations of your steps on the ground

Yes, I realise that. Perhaps I should have used a better choice of words in my post.

I don't have any dogs here, so no problems. Only Chinese hotel guests, and they are 10 a penny coffee1.gif