SURVEY: Do you believe there is high probability of a terrorist attack in Thailand?

Scott

Do you believe that there is high probability of a terrorist attack in Thailand?  

325 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something we can not say for sure what will happen. I hope it never happen anywhere in the world. But anyway I decided not to be in crowded place specially in New Year etc. God forbidden if anything happen in New Year on the walking street it will be disaster. I really really hope nothing bad happen. I hope all the terrorist get arrested before they can do anything wrong.

I voted Yes .

Based on recent statements from Russian intel .

As well as world events in places like USA. and the Paris slaughter.

Resentment for Russia and UK and USA ...even Australia and other western countries can't be underestimated.

With XMas the religious time for these nations to contemplate Peace on earth and Family Gatherings , the timing may well be around that date for terrorists to strike.

Thailand is full of those nationalities and preparation by terrorists to go underground and decide on where the best targets are is likely.

The information that Syrians are on the loose is not lost on the people heading there.

The Thais might arrest or blame other Syrians and try to squeeze the tourist dollars out by relaxing the alertness in minds.

But I for one when I head there in January will be slightly more mindful of venues and/ or markets that sell to tourists.

Hotels that frequent the prime targets like Russians or Americans.

Basically , there isn't much the authorities can do against hardened professional highly trained assassins .

They are most likely to come out of the blue on places like Russian clubs n walking street with machine guns and bombs.

Or some hotel lobby or crowded beaches.

The question is really about when an attack occurs in my mind.

It's at best hopeful to think otherwise

smotherb, on 07 Dec 2015 - 09:50, said:snapback.png

Seastallion, on 07 Dec 2015 - 08:34, said:snapback.png

geriatrickid, on 07 Dec 2015 - 08:13, said:snapback.png

Seastallion, on 07 Dec 2015 - 04:35, said:snapback.png

I said No. But with reservations: "High" and "Low" are subjective.

With regard to Russian intel and Syrian men entering the country, I think the likeliehood is very low.

That's not to say a different set of men won't do something, especially to Russians.

And cue the guys who will drift off-topic and bring up the South's troubles.

It is not off topic to reference the ongoing insurrection in the South. If you don't believe that sooner rather than later the southern insurgents will make a deal with other groups, then you are naive. The history of terrorist groups has been that they link up with others even if they may not share identical ideologies.

It is off-topic if you understand the OP is about foreign terrorists, and if you understand the insurgency in the South has nothing to do with jihad.

There we go with the old buggaboo of off-topic. Do you always wear blinders? Do you think it really makes a difference if you are killed by a jihadist's or jesuit's bullet?

I maintain these forums are to draw comment and discussion and if the posters care to go off-topic and that draws further comment, the forum has succeeded. If you want to get it back on topic, make your on-topic comment more interesting.

Additionally, the forum title plainly states,

"Do you believe there is high probability of a terrorist attack in Thailand?"

Yes, the poster made reference to the Russian intel; but that is just one example of a terrorist attack.

Seastallion 10:22 said,

"Re "off-topic", I agree wholeheartedly with you. My comment was aimed at the Islamaphobes who will use the OP (about Russian intel and imported jihadists) to make out that the Southern problem is somehow connected to international Islamic extremists, which it is not."

Smotherb replied:

I am in awe of your omniscience. However, if in any way non-Thai Islamic extremists, Malaysians for example, are involved in the attacks in Southern Thailand; then they are international Islamic extremists.

Are you prepared to defend your position with fact, or would you care to back-step a few more paces?

I voted No . I do not believe that Thailand is the primary target for Syrian terrorists. Their "evil enemy" is in Europe and the US.

But of course if they really want to blow up some Russians , Thailand is one of the targets.

No way.

There are far more prominent cities around the world other than Bangkok.

But are there softer targets than the tourist cities, with a large western presence, than in Thailand? Why waste suicide bombers, when with a little planning a personnel destructive explosion could easily be executed. After all it's not as if the RTP and local authorities (with all th fake/defunct cameras) are very security competant. There are myriads of ways that the day to day routine in Thailand could be partially paralysed, bomds at the airport (in luggage, exploding whilst being checked), railway staions, supermalls , sex tourist areas etc.

I said No. But with reservations: "High" and "Low" are subjective.

With regard to Russian intel and Syrian men entering the country, I think the likeliehood is very low.

That's not to say a different set of men won't do something, especially to Russians.

And cue the guys who will drift off-topic and bring up the South's troubles.

Cueing UP : One day someone will come to Thailand and teach the people in the South; to ramp things up. I agree that the problems in the South are different, as it dates back 100 years. But the Southern most provinces( 3 provinces) have 100's of kids (20-30 years old) who already hate the Thai Budists. If Isis sent one person to the South, to teach this group how to make bigger and better ( B---) and told them to come to Bangkok. It would be a big problem. Isis wants to kills Western people. The Southern Muslims( bad one) want to kill , army,police, and budists) to help them in their goal. The problems in the South started to heat up when people from Indonesia ( Bali bombers group leaders) came to Thailand and taught the Thai people what to do (2004) . Isis methods are 10 times worse. Also what is the Southern Thai's went to Syria to fight for Isis for a year and came back to Thailand to teach the others. The Southern people have stayed in the South for one reason only. They are afraid of the Thai army sending 1000's of soldier; if they ever came to Bangkok. Isis doesn't have this fear.

It is possible this could one day happen.

I voted no as I assumed you are referring to a "spectacular" ISIS style attack on foreign tourists.

Of course, there has already been the terrorist attack at the Erawan shrine.

Whether ISIS has the idea or not, they will have now, They watch the news like the rest of us.

Not specifically Thailand but any areas where Western holidaymakers go are potential targets just like Tunisia. The whole idea of attacking Western people at home and abroad fits their plan.

I expect considerable more radicalized Muslim attacks, whether ISIS, AL Quaeda, or independent this coming year and certainly over the festive season. The increased knife attacks against Israelis is a pilot for similar attacks on Westerners which will likely increase in occurrence.

A very dangerous time, and the West are as determined as ever to ensure their citizens do not have the means of self defense and must rely on the state.

I voted no as I assumed you are referring to a "spectacular" ISIS style attack on foreign tourists.

Of course, there has already been the terrorist attack at the Erawan shrine.

Whether ISIS has the idea or not, they will have now, They watch the news like the rest of us.

Not specifically Thailand but any areas where Western holidaymakers go are potential targets just like Tunisia. The whole idea of attacking Western people at home and abroad fits their plan.

I expect considerable more radicalized Muslim attacks, whether ISIS, AL Quaeda, or independent this coming year and certainly over the festive season. The increased knife attacks against Israelis is a pilot for similar attacks on Westerners which will likely increase in occurrence.

A very dangerous time, and the West are as determined as ever to ensure their citizens do not have the means of self defense and must rely on the state.

The country which is awash with guns and "armed" citizens has a spectacular lack of success in preventing mass killings.

It would seem that "Government" in the form of Police are required to stop the killers who regularly attack civilians including children.

Check the facts

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/oct/02/mass-shootings-america-gun-violence

Very worrying times ahead, islam has always wanted the World and the past 15 years have come to the forefront again. Two attacks this week already in London and California with over 30 suppressed by intelligence. Softer targets as whats happened in Tunisia are therefor preferred options for terrorists hence Thailand will be high on their list. With Christmas coming I wouldn't be surprised if we see something disturbing within the next 3 weeks.

The West in its infinite wisdom removed the hard men who kept it a little bit under control now there is just a bunch of softies in control who care more about a terrorists human rights than protecting the country.

Europe and te USA have a lot to answer for in regards to this

Since 99% of all world wide terrorist groups, ISIS, el Queda etc etc are funded. implemented, trained and consist of USA combatants IMO it will happen only if USA deems it necessary to setup military installations close to Russia for later actions during coming WW III. And yes I was born raised lived in USA most of my life. Today's US govt - nation is not the country I grew up in ... B4 the boos and hisses start let me remind U the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind. Also in today's world lies are truth and war is peace and humanitarian cleansing actions R human genocide ... the empire must be fed ,,, hail caesar

Blimey!

cheesy.gif

Edited by JAG

Wake up people, there are terrorist Attacks everyday in Thailand in the South, its just not exciting or even worth reporting on anymore...

If you mean another ISIS - yep more than likely - But the latest Fake leaked Russian Reports are nothing but a way at stifling Thailands tourism, comes every year about this time from opposition government...