Why did the police close ChiangMai Saloon?

flyDelight

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Not from the Chang Mai Saloon, no .

Although I have sat in the CM Saloon drinking water on a non alcohol selling day

Hahaha you are a model-farang, the junta would be proud of you. biggrin.png

I went in there to watch a football game .

That was the only place open showing football, because they were selling food .

All the other alcohol only bars were closed .

So, I sat there and got a water .

Its a bit rude to go into a bar and watch football without ordering a drink

Although I have sat in the CM Saloon drinking water on a non alcohol selling day

you could have ordered alcohol,in the same glass,nod nod,wink wink.

you could have ordered alcohol,in the same glass,nod nod,wink wink.

I did ask for beer , but they wouldnt give me one .

No, but there weren't police cars circiling the businesses very slowly with their flashing red lights on....

So, it wasnt like Chiang Mai before the curfews then, was it .

At least Santitham was like the old CM, while I was there, which was before midnight; Nimman was not. LK is not. MM is not.

Much beyond that, after you know the country, people, and language, habitually sleeping with uneducated, financially desperate women-- often abused and abandoned by men since birth-- for a few bucks a pop is more a reflection of your own character than "when in Rome"-style cultural exploration. For me, it's less a matter of public morality than self respect.

Why be dismissive about the girls who work in LK or their customers? Uneducated (but many speak good English), financially desperate (how do you know?). But if being better than a bargirl or a sex tourist gives you an impression of having self respect and a feeling of superiority i guess that is ok.

The real question being, why would you want to drink on LK if you weren't looking for hookers (of either sex)?

Because:

• It's fun, especially by yourself. Going alone to a more Thai place you mostly just look like a lone weirdo.
Most of us have friends to go out with.

Changing your venue doesn't make you any the less a "lone weirdo".

And if I ever get to the state where I'm so lonely that I need to pay for company, I would prefer to pay for the company of a young Thai woman (under age 40), than the company of a elderly overweight balding white foreigner (over age 50).

....... habitually sleeping with uneducated, financially desperate women-- often abused and abandoned by men since birth-- for a few bucks a pop is more a reflection of your own character than "when in Rome"-style cultural exploration. For me, it's less a matter of public morality than self respect.

First off,

Generally they aren't either abused or abandoned, not to mention,

The one's I have met are usually either long term drunks, or are too unstable to find long term male partners.

The Thai men won't put up with their nonsense, and the foreign men (on their white horses) are usually driven off after being systematically asset stripped.

But many of them are fun for an hour or twos company, in the bar.

Much beyond that, after you know the country, people, and language, habitually sleeping with uneducated, financially desperate women-- often abused and abandoned by men since birth-- for a few bucks a pop is more a reflection of your own character than "when in Rome"-style cultural exploration. For me, it's less a matter of public morality than self respect.

Why be dismissive about the girls who work in LK or their customers? Uneducated (but many speak good English), financially desperate (how do you know?). But if being better than a bargirl or a sex tourist gives you an impression of having self respect and a feeling of superiority i guess that is ok.

I've shared my point of view. From your reply I don't know if you quite caught it. Reread it and it might be clearer. But rather than debate and rebut, tit for tat, why don't you describe your own position on the matter. We're listening.

No, but there weren't police cars circiling the businesses very slowly with their flashing red lights on....

So, it wasnt like Chiang Mai before the curfews then, was it .

At least Santitham was like the old CM, while I was there, which was before midnight; Nimman was not. LK is not. MM is not.

The old CM from a few years back, places used to stay open until they wanted to close , which was in the early hours. So, any place that closes at midnight, which is all of them, isnt like the old CM .

daoyai........and CM saloom used to have tater wedges, when they stopped servin them I just had ta go Ho mongering. to keep to the two topics of this thread.

​I have just run this through my Google translate and it does not recognize anything.

May I suggest you have another beer and rewrite !

....and CM saloom used to have tater wedges, when they stopped servin them I just had ta go Ho mongering. to keep to the two topics of this thread.

The Chaing Mai Salon used to serve potato wedges , but when they stopped serving them , I went to find a prostitute .

The real question being, why would you want to drink on LK if you weren't looking for hookers (of either sex)?

Because:

• It's fun, especially by yourself. Going alone to a more Thai place you mostly just look like a lone weirdo.

And if I ever get to the state where I'm so lonely that I need to pay for company, I would prefer to pay for the company of a young Thai woman (under age 40), than the company of a elderly overweight balding white foreigner (over age 50).

I'm concerned that you'd even consider paying for the company of an elderly overweight balding white foreigner tbh. Especially female.

blink.png

Because:

I'm concerned that you'd even consider paying for the company of an elderly overweight balding white foreigner tbh. Especially female.

blink.png

Could you not consider that under the category of "Kinky" ????

Visited cms yesterday. Big bowl of peanuts in shells. Food tasty and low cost. No alcohol but I got the vibe that the ban is temporary. I can live without it for 39 minutes, 555'

Yes the ban is temporary, it is only for 5 years.

Btw today I left the place pretty drunk again from their amazing apple juice.

The police came even in to check if they not sell booze, owner said 'customer only drink apple juice'.

Hahaha TiT love it :D

Edit: typo

Because:

The ones I meet tend to be half my age. Just how young do they need to be? Also, 'paying for company' was not in my list.

Flydelight : It would be best if you kept quiet about certain things .

Why? do you think the CM police read ThaiVisa?

A person last week got arrested for liking a Facebook post and now faces 28 years in jail , so yes the authorities do monitor social media .

Also, certain subjects cannot be discussed here on TV, because ................work it out for yourself

So to change the topic a little bit.

I'll be in CM for New Years.

What's the closing time along LK nowadays? Midnight? 2am?

Spicy still going after the bars close?

Any later curfew planned for NYE?

cheers.

Bar owners have stated that the 12 AM curfew will be extended on NYE .

Spicy closes at 12 AM

LK closes at midnight

So everywhere actually closes at midnight?

Wow.

Last time I was in CM it was 2007-ish and the bars closed at 2am, then Spicy got going with the leftovers going there until the sun came up.

Then I left and Spicy 2 opened. Lost all knowledge after that.

So, just to confirm, there is no actual place open after midnight? Where do the LK Girls and boys go to at midnight if Spicy is closed then?

On Dec 31 bars will be allowed to stay open beyond midnight. From Jan 1st onward it is back to midnight closing in order to maintain the reputation of Chiang Mai as a city of culture, unlike the debauchery seen in Phuket, Pattaya and the Big Mango.

Condo : Yes everything closes at midnight .

Police cars with flashing lights drive around slowly from 11 . 30 PM onwards .

Some bars , on the back streets have stayed open later occasionally , but that is hit and miss .

Some Karaoke places stay open, but thats 300 Baht for a small beer .

All the old spicy crowd now have all settled down and they are at home looking after their kids :)

Flydelight : It would be best if you kept quiet about certain things .

Why? do you think the CM police read ThaiVisa?

The forums are monitored. Immigration certainly checks them out.

Maybe Flydelight was referring to snitches - people who report wrong-doers to the authorities. Unfortunately, such people do exist.

I know this year will almost definitely be different, but where I live, for the past six or seven years, police have allowed bars to stay open as long as they want (on NYE), even permitting them to go right through the night.

If they put their cards on the table from an early date, and advised owners of their proposed closing deadline, it would make things far easier for everyone, but unfortunately it does not work that way over here.

Archived