Why did the police close ChiangMai Saloon?

flyDelight

I know this year will almost definitely be different, but where I live, for the past six or seven years, police have allowed bars to stay open as long as they want (on NYE), even permitting them to go right through the night.

If they put their cards on the table from an early date, and advised owners of their proposed closing deadline, it would make things far easier for everyone, but unfortunately it does not work that way over here.

I don't know about CM, but in Phuket the police used to come round a week or so before, with a dual language notice giving bars permission to open until 6am on NYE and Xmas Eve.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flydelight : It would be best if you kept quiet about certain things .

Why? do you think the CM police read ThaiVisa?

The forums are monitored. Immigration certainly checks them out.

Maybe Flydelight was referring to snitches - people who report wrong-doers to the authorities. Unfortunately, such people do exist.

If that's the case I wouldn't like to be the snitch if Big Ron finds out who he is!!

Flydelight : It would be best if you kept quiet about certain things .

Why? do you think the CM police read ThaiVisa?

The forums are monitored. Immigration certainly checks them out.

Maybe Flydelight was referring to snitches - people who report wrong-doers to the authorities. Unfortunately, such people do exist.

If that's the case I wouldn't like to be the snitch if Big Ron finds out who he is!!

It would be IRonic if people he reported turned the tables on him. Let's hope they're sympathetic of his plight.

Out & about last night , passing through LK and it was very quiet .

Some bars had no customers at all , quite a lot actually, about half of them had no customers at all .

I was wondering how the bars survive and the running costs of bars .

I ve never ran a bar myself, so I assume the running costs are :

Rental : 1000 Baht per day

Utilities : 200 Baht per day

1 staff : 300 Baht per day

So thats a minimum of 1500 Baht per day running costs .

If they sell a beer for 100 Baht, making 50 Baht profit .

A bar would have to sell 30 beers per day, just to break even

If each customer had three beers , ten customers per day, would be needed, just to break even .

Some bars had no customers at all , quite a lot actually, about half of them had no customers at all .

If each customer had three beers , ten customers per day, would be needed, just to break even .

Yes, but the owner's are Living the Dream, in paradise.

rolleyes.gif

You can't put a price on that.

A far cry from 10 years ago!

A friend of mine who owned a bar on Moon Muang soi 2 back then used to tell me he started to make money after selling 8 beers.

Back in the day I could take care of his break even from 1pm to 5pm on my own……… back in the day. thumbsup.gif

How long ago did 'The What?' close down or be sold and changed?

I remember the original owner moved to Ubon around 2008, and sold it to two English blokes that didn't have the best business acumen or customer service in the World.

It closed down about two/three years ago .

They had a sign on the wall which went something like "We dont tolerate any racist/sexist/homophobic remarks in here , there are plenty of other bars which tolerate <deleted>, if you are one of these, go and drink somewhere else" , so I did :)

They also had a toilet in which the door was easily opened when locked from the inside , I did notice a few falang "beer for a grope" kind, sat close to the toilet and always seemed to need to go to the toilet about a minute after a Thai girl went to the toilet and "accidentally" opened the toilet door whilst she was in there .

when they are all gone or few customers around.i know some people will not be getting tea money then.they will lose out too for being crazy to inforce midnight closure and a few other silly rules. a bar sells beer food and spirits.the companys give freebies with they names on it,nothing is wrong with that as it is bar related.but not in cm it seems.what about bkk these days lots of signs and boards saying or advertising brooze

The marketing promos follow the volume, which is where the promos are...I've seen them drop off 35 cases at Dayli on a Saturday evening. I've frequently seen them handing out stuff, based on what you were drinking. I noticed the Chang dresses no longer say Chang, but are still sexy. They didn't even change the Tiger dresses, because they simply have a Tiger print on them. I suppose the interpretation of its illegality will be forthcoming, because they did say something about "association." Perhaps they will only be satisfied with them wearing Burqas.

post-227967-0-79416700-1450171734_thumb.

Barfine is 400bht ........... (200 foor the bar)

Lady drink is 120bht ......... (100 for the bar)

Your drink 120bht ......... (90 for the bar)

So four girls a night and you're in profit.

re

Some bars had no customers at all

hes right !

the bars in loi kroh road and the bars in bar boxing centre have been dead for days and even some of the massage girls i know are complaining they have no customers / money :(

dave2

post-42592-0-30980100-1450174470_thumb.j

post-42592-0-30368400-1450174563_thumb.j

post-42592-0-33423200-1450174628_thumb.j

re

hes right !

the bars in loi kroh road and the bars in bar boxing centre have been dead for days and even some of the massage girls i know are complaining they have no customers / money sad.png

dave2

Wow that is sad, compared to how it was.

It was a fun area in days gone by.

re

hes right !

the bars in loi kroh road and the bars in bar boxing centre have been dead for days and even some of the massage girls i know are complaining they have no customers / money sad.png

dave2

Wow that is sad, compared to how it was.

It was a fun area in days gone by.

Well the powers that be have achieved their objective.The so called high season is where businesses make enough to carry them over the lean months .

Now the lean months extend 12 months of the year. RIP to a pretty harmless "entertainment" area which is not every ones cup of tea but no one forced you to go there.

You've just reminded me why I dont patronise these places anymore

re

I thought the area was supposed to be dead.

it was at 9 ish last night sad.png

and thaphae gate area wasnt much better at 7 30 either sad.png

dave2

It's a sign of the times. There is no shortage whatsoever of tourists. I went out the last 3 nights and was out late. The Nimmanhaemann area was absolutely packed with Chinese tourists and Thai tourists from Bangkok there for the Festivals. Shoulder to shoulder. I had to meet someone at one of the larger hotels in the city the other day. The hotel was full with Japanese and Korean golf tourists, etc. I over-heard a woman asking for a room and the response was that every room was booked for the next 3 days. My wife told me that at the place she is working at on an assignment for 3 months, that there is a steady stream of mini-vans all day and on until 23:00 at night, packed with Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian, and Korean tourists. They had to hire temporary staff to accommodate all the request for spa treatments that go on until 1:00 A.M. every night. She said that when she leaves that there is never less than 20 mini-vans parked outside.

There are less Western tourists visiting Chiang Mai as the tide has changed and Chiang Mai has an influx of Asian tourists that come here and spend thousands each day on luxury services, shopping for name brands at MAYA, etc. The beer bars with cheap whores that used to attract Western tourists on a budget don't see much trade anymore. The Asian tourists aren't hanging out on L.K. or at Pratu Thapae.

I might add that I too, don't have anything against the bars, whores, and so forth. Adults should be free to do as they wish with other consenting adults. I'm only commenting on my observations.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/117-chiang-mai-stories:past-and-future-of-visa-to-thailand-thailand-s-losing-edge

"The objective seems clear: Thailand wants to rid itself of long-stayers who, in the eyes of Thai policy makers don't contribute enough to the economy, while it aims to attract wealthier tourists who are willing to spend and don't stay too long. We want your money but we don't want you to stay so long, is the implicit message.

To mind comes the image of a Chinese couple staying in 5-star hotels and spending all their holiday money in one week as compared to a poor backpacker living on a shoestring and stretching his stay in Thailand to a few months with the same budget."
Like I was saying...

So, just to confirm, there is no actual place open after midnight? Where do the LK Girls and boys go to at midnight if Spicy is closed then?

LK girls are going to a couple of places in Chiang Mai Land, not sure where. If desperate for a late drink not behind closed shutters you may have some success in Night Bazaar area or GoGo bars.

ksk night club,open till whatever,200bht entrance fee,free water soda ect for your whisky??,100bht a drink I think,did not go in.

re

I thought the area was supposed to be dead.

it was at 9 ish last night sad.png

and thaphae gate area wasnt much better at 7 30 either sad.png

dave2

It's a sign of the times. There is no shortage whatsoever of tourists. I went out the last 3 nights and was out late. The Nimmanhaemann area was absolutely packed with Chinese tourists and Thai tourists from Bangkok there for the Festivals. Shoulder to shoulder. I had to meet someone at one of the larger hotels in the city the other day. The hotel was full with Japanese and Korean golf tourists, etc. I over-heard a woman asking for a room and the response was that every room was booked for the next 3 days. My wife told me that at the place she is working at on an assignment for 3 months, that there is a steady stream of mini-vans all day and on until 23:00 at night, packed with Japanese, Chinese, Malaysian, and Korean tourists. They had to hire temporary staff to accommodate all the request for spa treatments that go on until 1:00 A.M. every night. She said that when she leaves that there is never less than 20 mini-vans parked outside.

There are less Western tourists visiting Chiang Mai as the tide has changed and Chiang Mai has an influx of Asian tourists that come here and spend thousands each day on luxury services, shopping for name brands at MAYA, etc. The beer bars with cheap whores that used to attract Western tourists on a budget don't see much trade anymore. The Asian tourists aren't hanging out on L.K. or at Pratu Thapae.

I might add that I too, don't have anything against the bars, whores, and so forth. Adults should be free to do as they wish with other consenting adults. I'm only commenting on my observations.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/117-chiang-mai-stories:past-and-future-of-visa-to-thailand-thailand-s-losing-edge

"The objective seems clear: Thailand wants to rid itself of long-stayers who, in the eyes of Thai policy makers don't contribute enough to the economy, while it aims to attract wealthier tourists who are willing to spend and don't stay too long. We want your money but we don't want you to stay so long, is the implicit message.

To mind comes the image of a Chinese couple staying in 5-star hotels and spending all their holiday money in one week as compared to a poor backpacker living on a shoestring and stretching his stay in Thailand to a few months with the same budget."
Like I was saying...

Who comes up with this nonsense? Does anyone really think that Thai officials have a plan based on the thinking "We want your money but we don't want you to stay so long" ? Besides being over-simplistic it also doesn't credit much intelligence to the officials. I can see how they might want to attract wealthier tourists (who wouldn't?) but why does that have to mean that at the same time they want to exclude cheaper long-stay tourists? Does it have to be one at the expense of the other?

Backpackers and the average Western tourist are moving on, not because of a deliberate government policy, but because Thailand has developed and is not as cheap as it once was, and also other countries around Thailand are opening up. There are just as many cheap Chinese tourists as rich ones, if not more, but they are all welcome. Try cutting out the comics - Chiang Mai locator - "Story posted by Gilles Alter Ego" . Indeed?

Great news if you want to be a pimp.

Although I did wonder around last night at about 10 PM , past about 15 bars and I took a look inside and out of all 15 bars , I counted a total of four ladies drinks being consumed

I don't know why, but nobody thinks of, or at least refers to, a bar-owner demanding money to take his staff for a shag as being a pimp. It's certainly not something I would ever want to do. What would my mother think!!

I don't know why, but nobody thinks of, or at least refers to, a bar-owner demanding money to take his staff for a shag as being a pimp. It's certainly not something I would ever want to do. What would my mother think!!

Much the same way that people do not regard bargirls as prostitution .

Some people are quite boastful about their exploits with bargirls in Thailand .

Yet, not many back home boast about seeing prostitutes

Archived