Overstayers Be Careful!

With the recent postings about 'overstaying' in Thailand I thought you might like to know that the police are now checking Thai 'ID' cards and 'farang' passports on trains here in Thailand. It may be that this is due to a higher level of security due to the perceived 'terrorist' threat or it may be because of the larger than usual number of people traveling due to 'Song Kran', either way, if you happen to be over your departure date you may well get your 'collar felt' by the cops as they did not just check the 'photo' page of the passports but also the last entry page and TM card.

If you are on 'overstay' I would not recomend travelling by train! :o

In my area in Phuket the police was on the door here a few days ago, asking all homes in the area if farangs lived there.. Seem they are tracking down where we live too now.. I am particulately sensitive to this as I am currently an overstayer by 4 months (not because I like it but I don't have enough money to pay the overstay and the visa runs at the moment). Luckily I wasn't home that day..My roommate said they only asked at the gate if farang stayed there.. But who knows what they want next time if they come around again.. Never heard of such activity from the officers before.. A door to door inquiry..

:o

This is just a general comment and not meant to point to anyone.

In Canada we call an overstay, an illegal immigrant in the US they call them an Illegal alien and I'm sure other countries do the same. So why do I always read about farang in Thailand "Overstaying" their visa? If it is Illegal for a Thai to "overstay" in your country what makes it correct for you all to think it is right to overstay in Thailand. That is an incredible "better than thou" attitude, and no wonder the Thai government is craking down, of late.

Immigration in every country has the righ to check documentation of anyone they feel might be in the country illegally. The US Customs and Immigration and Canada Immigration both have divisions that activly seek out people that are in the country illegally, and the Thai Immigration does as well. As a caucatian in Asia you can't hide in the croud too easily so it is a piece of cake for the authorities to check documentation. If they catch you in Canada or the US you go to Immigration detention in Thailand you go to Immigration jail. Same Same.

Lukamar

In my area in Phuket the police was on the door here a few days ago, asking all homes in the area if farangs lived there.. Seem they are tracking down where we live too now.. I am particulately sensitive to this as I am currently an overstayer by 4 months (not because I like it but I don't have enough money to pay the overstay and the visa runs at the moment). Luckily I wasn't home that day..My roommate said they only asked at the gate if farang stayed there.. But who knows what they want next time if they come around again.. Never heard of such activity from the officers before.. A door to door inquiry..

Isn't it time to call for family assistance to get legal or go home ? If you are banged up, you will remain in the IDC until you come up with the wherewithall to pay for your homebound airticket.

:o

This is just a general comment and not meant to point to anyone.

In Canada we call an overstay, an illegal immigrant in the US they call them an Illegal alien and I'm sure other countries do the same.  So why do I always read about farang in Thailand "Overstaying" their visa?  If it is Illegal for a Thai to "overstay" in your country what makes it correct for you all to think it is right to overstay in Thailand.  That is an incredible "better than thou" attitude, and no wonder the Thai government is craking down, of late.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that when you OVERSTAY in Thailand, as long as you make it to the border, you are welcome to pay a $5 a day fine, exit the country and then re-enter. And even if you OVERSTAY for one year or more, the maximum you can be fined is $500. Assuming you make it to the counter at the airport, everything will be just fine. Do you think you could get away with a $5 a day fine in the US AND be welcomed back in the country? It has nothing to do with a 'better than thou attitude'. Any fault lies with Thai immigration and the way they choose to enforce their own laws. Its two different countries and two different policies. Its not right to OVERSTAY, but there is a vast difference between an illegal immigrant in the US and a backpacker OVERSTAYER in Thailand.

I would like to point out to Newbies that Chiang Mai Thai was at one time one of the most notorious "30 Day Walkers" in the country, so not necessarily someone that you want to take advice from concerning Thai immigration.

I'm sure that Doctor Patpong will back me up on this.

He is a young handsome man without a care in the world, and it is rumored that a string of gorgeous Thai girls keep him in high-style. I can personally verify that he spends most of his time lounging beside the swimming pool surrounded by Thai babes and his mate Crazy Jan. :o

He is a young handsome man without a care in the world, and it is rumored that a string of gorgeous Thai girls keep him in high-style. I can personally verify that he spends most of his time lounging beside the swimming pool surrounded by Thai babes and his mate Crazy Jan. :D

Do I detect a spot of jealousy here? :o

I would like to point out to Newbies that Chiang Mai Thai was at one time one of the most notorious "30 Day Walkers" in the country, so not necessarily someone that you want to take advice from concerning Thai immigration.

He is a young handsome man without a care in the world, and it is rumored that a string of gorgeous Thai girls keep him in high-style. I can personally verify that he spends most of his time lounging beside the swimming pool surrounded by Thai babes and his mate Crazy Jan. :o

Don't believe a word of this. I spend only a few hours a day at the pool.

He is a young handsome man without a care in the world, and it is rumored that a string of gorgeous Thai girls keep him in high-style. I can personally verify that he spends most of his time lounging beside the swimming pool surrounded by Thai babes and his mate Crazy Jan. :D

Don't believe a word of this. I spend only a few hours a day at the pool.

I can feel a visit coming on CMT. I think we need a meeting by the pool. I'll bring some wine ... :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted this before:

Please do not put all the blame on people who overstay.

Before I came across this forum, I, like many others, was not aware of the potential dire consequences of overstaying. The hear-say amongst travelleres has been that it's okay, you just pay the fine when you exit.

This is also supported by uninformed "official' advice, such as from the French embassy, and the polite treatment by immigration when you depart, at D.M. airport there are big notices explaining how to calculate the fines, but not a word that you have been staying illegally and could have been locked up.

One might well get the impression, as I did, that as a courtesy to encourage visits to 'amazing Thailand', authorities tolerate a few (20 according to the French emb.) days overstay.

Of course I know now that this is not so and will advise other travellers accordingly.