Using the wrong coolant ratio can increase engine temperature

VocalNeal

Yes i know I've been living in a cave! smile.png

But most guys from the west are used to the 50/50 coolant mix. I just read that too much coolant and not enough water can make engines run hotter. In a tropical country this is important. 10% is about the minimum mix for corrosion abatement, 1:15 is the correct or better ratio as we don't need really low temperature freeze protection.

May not be news but is new to me.

Thinking bikes are engineered to cool adequately if the coolant is 100% water or 100% glycol or between.

Only in extreme circumstances would differences in viscosity and heat capacity make a difference.

Just make sure you got something in there.

link?

search for coolant mix and overheating.

Thinking bikes are engineered to cool adequately if the coolant is 100% water or 100% glycol or between.

Only in extreme circumstances would differences in viscosity and heat capacity make a difference.

Just make sure you got something in there.

Well this is a tropical country where ambient temperatures can be higher than say Europe. yes bikes are manufacturer for all climates and condition but if one increases, say, a CRF250 to 331 or whatever as was popular with chiang mai off roaders then the increase in thrermal load on the system may increase running temperature. Lots of guys run around looking for Motul Ice or the like when simply reducing the amount of coolant down to say 10% may do the trick. yes one can run 100% water but then one is suseptable to galvanic corrosion ovber the long term and adding some coolant also raises the boiling point.

I simply thought it was interesting and worth passing on.

Edited by VocalNeal