Overstay blacklisting starts in March

This will be interesting. Will they actually use their computer system to check arrival cards against visa issues against departure cards?

IMO, they check the combination of name and DOB, but I'm not 100% sure if that is the only thing they check.

Overstay blacklisting starts in March

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Immigration Bureau could start blacklisting foreigners who stay beyond their visa period with effect from March 2016.

COULD??? So this is not yet confirmed? But somehow i still see 20+ pages of TVF speculation coming.

The royal decree on the blacklisting is expected to be promulgated in late March

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

These seem to be different rules to those previously published. The rules quoted in the OP only apply to overstaying 1 year or more.

• Like 2

And lets hope they record the names of those who overstay and check it against a database with all those who attempt to enter visa waiver or applying at a consulate outside the country. A simple computer program could do it!

The only question that remains (for me that is) what happens if you have 1 day overstay, because for example your Border Run bus breaks down etc etc.

These seem to be different rules to those previously published. The rules quoted in the OP only apply to overstaying 1 year or more.

You are right !!!! But that can't be right can it, I think most of the overstays are less then 1 year, so for them nothing changes ? Confused blink.png

The rules mentioned before did not start the banning until 90 days was reached.

This article only mentions one year or more.

Thanks Joe, not confused anymorebiggrin.png

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

I'd wait until it the royal decree is actually published.

I wonder about people who started their overstay before March 2016.

You expect an endless amnesty for people who became overstayers before March 2016?

Higly illogical.

Actually it would be a logical way to deal with it - and would facilitate a transition period.... but it is unlikely to happen that way.

It would be smoother if they did transition it in this manner. Here is how the transition could work (again but I would bet against it because Thai lawmakers don't work that way) - calculation of fine would be based on original entry, calculation of blacklisting based on greater of March 2016 and original entry. People caught by immigration would be based on original entry date only (i.e. blacklisted). One story placed 800,000 people in overstay status (or illegal entry) - and a year would be a reasonable transition period. Of course getting rid of 800,000 consumers in a couple of months will have at least some effect on the economy.

My country of origin has no exit system so overstays are free to leave at any time, but if you are not a person of means (i.e. able to live without working) - they would probably reject entry if you were not out of the country for at least 6 months. If you did not need to work, they would not care about the overstay..... (or at least they have not for people I have known from a reasonably wealthy individual that use to visit Canada for years without issue).

All this will do is just create a bigger revenue stream :P (IMHO)